8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter

All 2 of my computers I own are 8. My immediate family owns Vista. Aside from the flare that 8 has, Vista is just as good as 7 (minus the IE updates, which it doesn't get). It had a sluggish start (usually happens when you introduce a new tech. I hear Edison tested his light bulb a few times). I wont sell you on Vista (I like 8 best), but it is far better than XP, and just a tad under 7. Any prior issues have since been fixed, and like the Mohave Experiment, word-of-mouth should be tested first.

Everything on the internet is fact. what?
:D

But that is a pretty funny experiment (that I didn't previously know about); I know I succumb to the influence of others more than I even realize. I'm sure we all do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3820 CPU OC @ 3.80GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 16GB Quad Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia by EVGA - GeForce GTX 670 4GB
    Sound Card
    On board Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Main 500GB Hybrid Drive @ 7,200RPM
    Secondary OCZ SSD Vertex 3 Max IOPS
    PSU
    Silent Pro 1000w gold 80+
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000
    Mouse
    Tek Republic Wired Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    5ms Ping 5.15Mb/s Download .64Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
I can install a start menu. I have installed this now on 6 of my friends and families computers for them.. Everyone of them has liked the OS more with the 3rd party app than without. All had been using the OS for at least a week before I installed the start menu for them. I believe what I believe and obviously that is a subjective thing. Still, most out there agree. You folks are the minority. A year later you are still the minority. No poll out there says otherwise. The Avg user does not know how to restore the start menu with 3rd party apps which is the main reason I say that they should not have to. They should not have to resort to 3rd party apps that change the look and feel for something like this..

To someone's prior point regarding ISO. If MS had supported ISO for years and suddenly stopped, then you would have a valid point. It would be a more valid comparison.. None of this is make or break for me. It is not like I am unable to use the OS as vanilla. Part of why I have intentionally chosen to not use 3rd party start menu up to now is that I really want to grow to like the start screen.. It just has not happened up to now. I am sick of typing on this subject.. It would be far better to carry on a conversation with someone who thought replacing the start menu with the start screen was a good move, I just have been unsuccessful in meeting a person who feels this way up to now. Enjoy folks!! I am glad you like it! I truly am...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
^ You might prefer a start menu to a start screen, and I'm sure you heard this before, but the update will bring back the start button.

Admittedly, it is a very difficult learning curve, especially for the older folks (who, in my opinion, never truly learned the XP OS to begin with. I still help them do simple things on XP or 7. For example, to install a program is harder than rocks).

Once I explain how to do certain tasks, whether XP, 7, or 8, they usually don't care how the steps take them to a place, they only care about getting there. This start menu/screen problem is only a problem for people who hate change (in this situation). Which is understandable when you get used to something. We are creatures of habit, and tend to hate changing something that 'works' in our opinion. It is a new operating system. Install 3rd party programs to modify it! Or don't! You are in control. But the creaters of the OS do not have to make every single OS similar because previous people are used to it. I congratulate MS for changing things up. Otherwise, just stick with XP or 7. New tech is the result of change. To do new things, experimentation is required. Once I got used to this OS, I liked it. Others didn't. With the new 8.1 update, I'll have to learn new things. It will drive other people crazy. Any time there is change, there accompanies it a resistance. Now, don't change our democracy to an autocracy, but feel free to experiment with a new light bulb! - wait, resistance there too...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
Once SteamOS is released, Valve assures users that they'll be able to build their own Steam Machines. Further, Valve stated that hackers will be able to install their own operating system, change the hardware, and install additional software on the forthcoming Steam Machines. In other words, Valve CEO Gabe Newell, who proclaimed that "Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" in part of its move to more closed systems, really does seem to want SteamOS to be truly open source and for Steam Machines to be really open systems not locked down by Secure Boot.
Valve's Linux-powered Steam Machines gather steam | ZDNet

The move is on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I think it is time to stop bringing down us older folks (69). A great deal of us were using and writing code for computers and systems before some of you were even born. Sorry, albeit windows 8 was not that hard to figure out. Also the average computer user is not all that stupid when it comes to today's systems and OS's. A great deal of today's user have had computer classes while in high school, and in some cases middle and elementary school. It is time to look at the work force for another large part of the world's population that have also learned to use computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Post 84: I played a game once that described a person as an 'open-minded professor'. Valve's CEO sounds like he is very intelligent... but not very wise. I'd take his advice like I'd take my salad - tossing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
I think it is time to stop bringing down us older folks (69). A great deal of us were using and writing code for computers and systems before some of you were even born. Sorry, albeit windows 8 was not that hard to figure out. Also the average computer user is not all that stupid when it comes to today's systems and OS's. A great deal of today's user have had computer classes while in high school, and in some cases middle and elementary school. It is time to look at the work force for another large part of the world's population that have also learned to use computers.
Sorry, Lee. I don't mean to put anyone down, much less you, but it seems true to me that people, and especially those who are older (but still just as valuable!) do not like much change. As one gets older, one likes to feel at ease. Settle down, own a house, etc. I find that learning new things even for me becomes a hassle (stupid new iPhones...). So naturally, older people may resist change moreso than one younger. I do not think ill of 'old folk', you guys are the gems that brought us wee folk such great things to begin with!

I do think that a few older folk do not relish taking the time learning new computers. I found this out via my own experiences, but I'm sure it is different in other environments. And obviously, not true for everyone. Though the populace is more intelligent in using comps, there are still many who have no idea.

Edit: I met a guy (who I wouldn't consider old folk) who didn't even know how to type, much less click the various buttons required to operate a computer; simple as it may be for us. This amazed me more than any other experience previous for this topic o.0

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
I can install a start menu. I have installed this now on 6 of my friends and families computers for them.. Everyone of them has liked the OS more with the 3rd party app than without. All had been using the OS for at least a week before I installed the start menu for them. I believe what I believe and obviously that is a subjective thing. Still, most out there agree. You folks are the minority. A year later you are still the minority. No poll out there says otherwise. ...

The Avg user does not know how to restore the start menu with 3rd party apps which is the main reason I say that they should not have to. They should not have to resort to 3rd party apps that change the look and feel for something like this.....
Give the AVG user some credit. They can install a 3rd party start menu as easy as software for antivirus, printers, etc.
They would feel more comfortable with a 3rd party program than going into Control Panel\->\->\->start menu

Part of why I have intentionally chosen to not use 3rd party start menu up to now is that I really want to grow to like the start screen.. It just has not happened up to now....
Maybe because you fight it and treat it like a crap sandwich. I've got 14 friends that have gotten 8 since I did. Mainly because of how I've accepted the graphical start screen and expressed my opinion in a positive way. Not one of them want the old style start menu back after using the tiles for 15 seconds.

All of them work in desktop mode except for when they go Modern Apps for banking , shopping and related.
Their start screens have tiles for desktop, wordpad, notepad, paint, IE desktop on left edge, IE modern on right edge, the sites they frequent online and a few utilities.
They all use Toolbars. Dektop,Programs, Links (I've got Program Files toolbar on my computers).
Libraries, Start button shortcut and All apps shortcut are pinned to taskbar as well as Logoff shortcut.
They all know about the Winkey and Start screen shortcut in lower left corner.

I am sick of typing on this subject.. It would be far better to carry on a conversation with someone who thought replacing the start menu with the start screen was a good move, I just have been unsuccessful in meeting a person who feels this way up to now. Enjoy folks!! I am glad you like it! I truly am...

Hello. Some members have been siding with you for a year. The rest of us think replacing the start menu with the graphical start screen was a good move. Or started liking it after just using it for awhile.
Have you noticed that some members who installed 3rd start menus a year ago, uninstalled them after better understanding 8 and navigating thru it.

As an IT, shouldn't you be able to show a customer how to navigate 8 au~natural?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
No.. If the Avg user knew with ease how to install 3rd party start menu replacements, then I would not have needed to install it on as many PC's as I have. Most don't even know it exists.. They just call me up in a bit of a panic... Look, I have used a lot of different OS.. I support hospital computer systems from home scattered across the US, which are running a range of Unix/Linux/Windows. I have been working on computers for well over 15 years. Today, I installed virtualbox on my machine as I am preparing to set up a new HTPC Media Center machine, and I wanted to experiment with various distros. I decided to go to my all apps screen and look for the newly installed program, which is what most people will do by the way, assuming they are able to find it. I knew perfectly well that I could type in virt.. and be done.. I wanted to find it. My all apps screen is a mosh.. First of all there are two separate sections for some reason.. A-Z and then A names -Z names.. It took me darn close to 30 seconds to find the app which was in the A-name to Z-name section, the 2nd section, under Oracle. Those fine days of clicking on all programs and being easily lead to your new app which is displayed temporarily in a different color are gone. I thought maybe the app didn't install for a few secs, until I was able to find it under 'Oracle'. I then pinned it to my start screen, to avoid this in the future.

My point is, I can use it.. So can the avg individual. The start screen does not make anything easier, and feels at times, even after a year, more like a hindrance. I would love to sit down and chat with someone somewhere who actually agrees with you all, that the new here is better than the old.. I honestly try hard not to taint folks view of the new OS. I do not show any bias until they come to me for answers, then I help them. I try to show them how to use the new. I try to even paint it in a positive light. No one likes it... and when enough is enough, I install classic shell, and they are happy...

There are things I like about 8. I just would have liked it better, had the given us more options..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
No.. If the Avg user knew with ease how to install 3rd party start menu replacements, then I would not have needed to install it on as many PC's as I have. Most don't even know it exists.. They just call me up in a bit of a panic... Look, I have used a lot of different OS.. I support hospital computer systems from home scattered across the US, which are running a range of Unix/Linux/Windows. I have been working on computers for well over 15 years. Today, I installed virtualbox on my machine as I am preparing to set up a new HTPC Media Center machine, and I wanted to experiment with various distros. I decided to go to my all apps screen and look for the newly installed program, which is what most people will do by the way, assuming they are able to find it. I knew perfectly well that I could type in virt.. and be done.. I wanted to find it. My all apps screen is a mosh.. First of all there are two separate sections for some reason.. A-Z and then A names -Z names.. It took me darn close to 30 seconds to find the app which was in the A-name to Z-name section, the 2nd section, under Oracle. Those fine days of clicking on all programs and being easily lead to your new app which is displayed temporarily in a different color are gone. I thought maybe the app didn't install for a few secs, until I was able to find it under 'Oracle'. I then pinned it to my start screen, to avoid this in the future.

My point is, I can use it.. So can the avg individual. The start screen does not make anything easier, and feels at times, even after a year, more like a hindrance. I would love to sit down and chat with someone somewhere who actually agrees with you all, that the new here is better than the old.. I honestly try hard not to taint folks view of the new OS. I do not show any bias until they come to me for answers, then I help them. I try to show them how to use the new. I try to even paint it in a positive light. No one likes it... and when enough is enough, I install classic shell, and they are happy...

There are things I like about 8. I just would have liked it better, had the given us more options..
hmmmmmm!, sorry Mr. Muicslover, albeit I thought you were through with this discussion. It is hard to stay away when you are very passionate about a specific subject matter. . .:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender

My sentiments exactly. I've been down this same road so many times it's not funny any more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Lol! Heaven knows we all have beaten the dead horse to, well, another death. :p

I get this feeling that Ms would like all to forget that 8 ever existed and move on to 8.1. Admittedly I think they made a big mistake with too much change that are all too shocking and not a whole lot of personal options. At least in 8.1 one boot to the Desktop and I use All Apps instead of Start Screen. I know this doesn't solve the problem of the Start Menu being omitted, but at least there's 3rd party programs that do so.

Quite frankly I am shocked by some members that were abhorred with 8 that seem to take to 8.1 with some enthusiasm and are moving on.

I think we should all let the dead horse lay and all move on. Golf is enough. < Lol! That's what my Android phone just suggested while speaking into it "Enough is enough". I like that better.

Golf anyone? :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Lol! Heaven knows we all have beaten the dead horse to, well, another death. :p

I get this feeling that Ms would like all to forget that 8 ever existed and move on to 8.1. Admittedly I think they made a big mistake with too much change that are all too shocking and not a whole lot of personal options. At least in 8.1 one boot to the Desktop and I use All Apps instead of Start Screen. I know this doesn't solve the problem of the Start Menu being omitted, but at least there's 3rd party programs that do so.

Quite frankly I am shocked by some members that were abhorred with 8 that seem to take to 8.1 with some enthusiasm and are moving on.

I think we should all let the dead horse lay and all move on. Golf is enough. < Lol! That's what my Android phone just suggested while speaking into it "Enough is enough". I like that better.

Golf, any day, and any course. My favorite thing to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
No.. If the Avg user knew with ease how to install 3rd party start menu replacements, then I would not have needed to install it on as many PC's as I have. Most don't even know it exists.. They just call me up in a bit of a panic... I install classic shell, and they are happy...

I email my friends the info below and have it printed on index cards. When it comes to Avg users , they are below avg but can install a 3rd party menu. Most of them have actually become more computer advanced with 8. One is writing a book with Wordpad. Several are having a blast with MS Paint like kids handpainting and emailing them to friends.
They don't feel intimidated by the tiles like they did the start menu hiding everything and not knowing of what lies in the folder.
Of course , after I set 8 up for them. The only tiles on their start screen were 'Desktop , IE desktop , SpywareBlaster , Wordpad , MS Paint , M8 Free Clipboard , Notepad , Open Office , All apps shortcut & IE metro for banking etc.

Installing new programs from the internet.
  1. Download & save to your Downloads folder.
  2. Exit the Internet & close all open windows.
  3. Open the Downloads folder
  4. Right click the program icon & click Open
  5. Type in Administrator Password if asked & OK
  6. READ the Licencse and continue to install
  7. If given the option of Standard or Custom Choose Custom & uncheck programs with a different name
  8. than what you are installing. (Ask , Check PC etc.)
  9. click next(s)
  10. click Finish
You may need to choose settings.
Restart computer as soon as possible.

They still stay in touch but not as often. Mostly just asking if they should or shouldn't download a program ?

Mmmmmmmmmm... maybe there's something in the water. Or maybe you're over qualified to teach average users .

8 took some things away. 8 is full of options being discovered daily. It lacks some of what we were use to. Many people miss the 'Live Desktop' option in XP allowing the animated .gifs to be displayed on desktop. and XP's Picture & Fax Viewer.

Maybe MS should have given us an opportunity to download & use a Metro Modern Start Menu on XP , Vista or 7 as a tweak. With a more intriguing name like 'Graphical Start Screen' and pressing the start button opened the folder containing iconsa acting as tiles.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Not for me.

[h=1]“Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose” [/h]Sir Winston Churchill

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Wouldn't MS need to remove limitations from Metro Apps before our desktops are swept into oblivion?
Even then , I don't think the desktop will disappear. Despite the number of desktop computers diminishing.
I believe MS knows what they want to do. All we can do is get onboard and learn to work the new OS'. Share new discoveries , tips & tricks to help each other have a smooth transistion. Or be left behind fighting and confused by change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
The larger issue is that all the current desktop apps may eventually be phased out, leaving us with only tifkam apps.... and that would be a freakin' tragedy, an actual disaster of epic proportions....
Ah, so you're getting worked up about a potential future situation that may never happen.

Windows Desktop Death | Windows 8 content from Windows IT Pro
An opinion piece by Paul Thurrott is not a rebuttal to what I said. It's still a potential future situation that may never happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Corsair 4 x 4 GB 1,600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
Nice try Paul, considering that the command prompt has evolved into the power shell window the command line has not gone anywhere, just like the desktop won't go anywhere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Back