Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

I have also been having sleep issues and tried just about everything including installing the Spring Update. Nothing so far has provided a reliable fix but I have found a satisfactory work around for me. I'm using a program called Standby Helper and so far has worked flawlessly even when the built in window's timer fails. The tool has its own built in timer and parameters. I'm not sure what all of the parameters do and I did have to change a parameter called idle count from 10 to 1 to get it to work. I also had to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the window's start up folder to get it to auto run. During testing, I was able to confirm in the event viewer that it was working even when the window's timer failed.

Interesting. Is this just a simple standalone command line utility or does it install something?

It's a stand alone program with a UI. There are screen shots on the website.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
I have also been having sleep issues and tried just about everything including installing the Spring Update. Nothing so far has provided a reliable fix but I have found a satisfactory work around for me. I'm using a program called Standby Helper and so far has worked flawlessly even when the built in window's timer fails. The tool has its own built in timer and parameters. I'm not sure what all of the parameters do and I did have to change a parameter called idle count from 10 to 1 to get it to work. I also had to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the window's start up folder to get it to auto run. During testing, I was able to confirm in the event viewer that it was working even when the window's timer failed.

Interesting. Is this just a simple standalone command line utility or does it install something?

It's a stand alone program with a UI. There are screen shots on the website.

But there is nothing to have to uninstall, correct? Its just s standalone exe?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Frustrating.

I just downgraded back to Windows 8 because SLEEP is more important to me on my HP Pavilion Notebook than having 8.1 is. My sleep problem became a full shutdown issue (as in I could not even shut the thing down with out fans spinning full-bore and screen shutting off, then the system locking-up. Holding the power button down for 3 seconds was the only thing to make it shut down. If it went into sleep, it would just spin the fans and run the CPU up really hot.

Sadly, I now that I am back on 8.0, I cannot upgrade to any of the better apps in the app store, either. MS wants to blackmail me into loading the problematic 8.1 before I can do that. This is very, very sad, because I was actually FINALLY starting to find some apps that I enjoyed using (Facebook, NCAA College Basketball, etc). I must "upgrade" before these apps are available now.

So now I am stuck with what is sort of like a handicapped Windows 7 married to the worst aspects of an unworking app store.

I've noticed this problem too. When the random sleep issue occur, there is a slight chance that the next reboot or shutdown will fail. I don't know why or if all PC's are affected, but it happened to me a few times.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
I have been following this thread since the beginning - I have tried everything to get multiple computers to sleep - laptops, desktops, all-in-ones, etc. They each have issues sleeping since Windows 8.1. I have tried the spring update - still no luck.
My solution which I have on ALL of my systems, which I have used now since shortly after Windows 8.1 came out is as follows:
(I figured I should finally chime in and share with all the helpful people on this thread!)
I have a free program called "Screen Launcher" setup as my Screen Saver. It lets you run any executable program when the screen saver timer kicks in. You can get it here:
Screen Launcher Free Download
I then have the "Screen Launcher" start psshutdown.exe which is available free from MS TechNet here: PsShutdown
put psshutdown.exe in a folder like C:\ and use the command in "Screen launcher" like this:
C:\psshutdown.exe -d -t 0
That's it.
Now set the screen saver to the time out period you want and the computer will sleep like clockwork!
The only issue with this configuration is that it works so good that it will put the computer to sleep even if the computer is doing something it should finish up before sleeping (like a backup) which normally keeps Windows from sleeping until it's finished. So, I just set the Screen Saver for like an hour - so anything that wakes the computer has plenty of time to finish before this configuration puts it back to sleep.

Happy ZZZZZZZZ's!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3930k
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Memory
    32Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I have been following this thread since the beginning - I have tried everything to get multiple computers to sleep - laptops, desktops, all-in-ones, etc. They each have issues sleeping since Windows 8.1. I have tried the spring update - still no luck.
My solution which I have on ALL of my systems, which I have used now since shortly after Windows 8.1 came out is as follows:
(I figured I should finally chime in and share with all the helpful people on this thread!)
I have a free program called "Screen Launcher" setup as my Screen Saver. It lets you run any executable program when the screen saver timer kicks in. You can get it here:
I then have the "Screen Launcher" start psshutdown.exe which is available free from MS TechNet here: PsShutdown
put psshutdown.exe in a folder like C:\ and use the command in "Screen launcher" like this:
That's it.
Now set the screen saver to the time out period you want and the computer will sleep like clockwork!
The only issue with this configuration is that it works so good that it will put the computer to sleep even if the computer is doing something it should finish up before sleeping (like a backup) which normally keeps Windows from sleeping until it's finished. So, I just set the Screen Saver for like an hour - so anything that wakes the computer has plenty of time to finish before this configuration puts it back to sleep.

Happy ZZZZZZZZ's!

I guess nothing is perfect but ordinarily most people want their screen saver interval to be a lot shorter than their system sleep timer. While this seems like a good solution it appears to me that you would lose the ability to have separate timers?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Inability to have separate screen saver and sleep timers

That's it.

Happy ZZZZZZZZ's!

I guess nothing is perfect but ordinarily most people want their screen saver interval to be a lot shorter than their system sleep timer. While this seems like a good solution it appears to me that you would lose the ability to have separate timers?

NCGuy,
You are correct. I should also point out - for this configuration to work - YOU MUST set your Power Options to NEVER 'Turn off the display' - otherwise the Screen Saver never kicks in and the computer hence, never goes to sleep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3930k
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Memory
    32Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I just wanted to post that after adding an account for my grand son, my computer sleeps every time now. I have no idea what that may add to the discussion, but I also could never get my Win 8 or 8.1 Pro to sleep automatically. Now it does.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 8100 XPS Studio
    CPU
    i7 Quad Core 2.93ghz
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTS240 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Keyboard
    Dell Wireless
    Mouse
    Dell Wireless
    Internet Speed
    6/1
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender Total Security 2015
I just wanted to post that after adding an account for my grand son, my computer sleeps every time now. I have no idea what that may add to the discussion, but I also could never get my Win 8 or 8.1 Pro to sleep automatically. Now it does.

Maybe the kid scared the insomnia out of it!?!? :what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

After posting, i remembered that I have also installed the StartIsBack start button on my desktop, so that could also be the explanation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 8100 XPS Studio
    CPU
    i7 Quad Core 2.93ghz
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTS240 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Keyboard
    Dell Wireless
    Mouse
    Dell Wireless
    Internet Speed
    6/1
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus

After posting, i remembered that I have also installed the StartIsBack start button on my desktop, so that could also be the explanation.

I'll bet it's only been a day or so since you made those changes?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I'll bet it's only been a day or so since you made those changes?
No, about 3 weeks now and it sleeps on schedule every time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 8100 XPS Studio
    CPU
    i7 Quad Core 2.93ghz
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTS240 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Keyboard
    Dell Wireless
    Mouse
    Dell Wireless
    Internet Speed
    6/1
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus

I am going to give this a try. Thank you Mrguy! Welcome to the forum and we appreciate you pointing out the program.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS

I am going to give this a try. Thank you Mrguy! Welcome to the forum and we appreciate you pointing out the program.

I wouldn't want the timer to be any less than 60 minutes for sleep. Do you guys have any concern about the monitors being on that long?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

I wouldn't want the timer to be any less than 60 minutes for sleep. Do you guys have any concern about the monitors being on that long?

Thanks for the welcome John.
NCguy, I'm using Windows timer to turn the display off and StandbyHelper for sleep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1

NCguy, I'm using Windows timer to turn the display off and StandbyHelper for sleep.

I'll give that a try. That would be ideal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

I'll give that a try. That would be ideal.

Just a reminder I had to lower the idle count setting in the program to get it to work. Default is 10 but I changed it to 1. Not exactly sure what that setting does or if other values may also work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Here is how to download and use Standby helper.

1. Download from here:
StandbyHelper - 1.0.0.5 - andy vt's tools & blog

2. Create a folder and unzip the contents.

3. Run the program and change these four settings. change the idle minutes to the time you want the computer to sleep but first check it using one minute to see if the program allows your computer to sleep. I set mine to a time AFTER my 30 minute sleep timer on the power setting, making Standby helper a backup to my Windows sleep timer:

2014-03-31_222338.jpg

3. Create a shortcut for the .exe file:

2014-03-31_191415.jpg

Finally, add a copy of the shortcut to the
C:\Users\John (whatever your User Name is)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

2014-03-31_191525.jpg

You should see the icon in your Notification area on startup. It starts minimized!:

2014-03-31_192817.jpg

So that is now my backup sleep mode. The computer does not falls asleep while I am watching a movie or video. It still takes a minute or two to go to sleep, like Windows sleep does. Nice find!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Nice to have, John, even though my computer sleeps (for now). I may need to use it if 8.1.1 messes things up. :busted:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Here is how to download and use Standby helper.

Nice little tute and that may all be well and fine, but what happens if and when the sleep issue gets solved and fixed with code? Now there's a 3rd party program in the way. :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling