Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

Here is how to download and use Standby helper.

Nice little tute and that may all be well and fine, but what happens if and when the sleep issue gets solved and fixed with code? Now there's a 3rd party program in the way. :think:

I wouldn't worry too much about that. If it gets fixed it won't be long before it gets re-broken again. Also, do you foresee a fix that actually solves sleep for all of the different situations at one time? I thought yesterday was april fools?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD

Nice little tute and that may all be well and fine, but what happens if and when the sleep issue gets solved and fixed with code? Now there's a 3rd party program in the way.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. If it gets fixed it won't be long before it gets re-broken again. Also, do you foresee a fix that actually solves sleep for all of the different situations at one time? I thought yesterday was april fools?

An optimistic “guy” I see. Yes, it was April Fools Day. I see you survived as well. Never claimed to be the savviest around here. Just a novice really. Probably have the worst post count-to-points record ever. However, I do know enough to confer with those that know a heck of a lot more than me. A few IT Pro friends here with degrees and one that doesn’t belong to this forum all say you’re all chasing up the wrong tree. Odds would have it that it’s not wrong coding at all, for it was fixed with a specific update. An update that fixed the sleep problem for a vast majority. There are other things wrong for the few remaining systems the update could not fix because of some other issues.

Therefore, my post answering John's tutorial. Of course those that want to live with a third-party fix and really not fix their systems properly have that right. Really no skin off anyone's nose whatsoever.

BTW, April Fools is a proper name and should be capitalized. Is your Spellcheck broke as well?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Nice little tute and that may all be well and fine, but what happens if and when the sleep issue gets solved and fixed with code? Now there's a 3rd party program in the way. :think:

Couldn't you uninstall it? Looks to me like you'd have to (at least disable it) in order to see if the sleep issue were resolved in the latest batch of updates. But then, what do I know?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
This program doesn't get in the way of the Window's sleep timer at all. Both can be enabled at the same time and you can tell which is actually putting the pc to sleep by checking the system event log. If the event log shows reason for sleep as "idle" then it was Windows that put the computer to sleep. If it shows the reason as "application API" then it was Standby Helper that put the pc to sleep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
boot to win 8 dvd ,for the hdd and start over .

backup data first of course

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
BTW, April Fools is a proper name and should be capitalized. Is your Spellcheck broke as well?

Geez. Please don't go back and proof the rest of my posts. I would hate to see the final grade :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
EDIT 2014-04-14 Deleted this part of this post that was inappropriate against other posters.

I think Standby Helper is terrific, has little overhead, and can be easily disabled to see if sleep is working, and works 100%. Thank you Mrguy.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I had this issue a couple days ago with the computer not staying in sleep mode. In my case it was the network card waking the computer. The way you solve(at least in Windows 7, not sure where the functionality is mapped to Windows 8) is:

1) Run Device Manager from the Control Panel.
2) Click Network Adaptors.
3) Select your Network Adaptor. Right-Click Properties.
4) Select Power Management Tab.
5) Click off 'Allow this device to wake the computer'.

Haven't had a problem since.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
I had this issue a couple days ago with the computer not staying in sleep mode. In my case it was the network card waking the computer. The way you solve(at least in Windows 7, not sure where the functionality is mapped to Windows 8) is:

1) Run Device Manager from the Control Panel.
2) Click Network Adaptors.
3) Select your Network Adaptor. Right-Click Properties.
4) Select Power Management Tab.
5) Click off 'Allow this device to wake the computer'.

Haven't had a problem since.

Christa, somewhere in all these posts (around number 168 if I recall) is a list I made of the most common reasons why sleep does not occur. Yours is number 3 on the list:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28226-windows-8-1-refuses-sleep-17.html

Thanks tho...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
This program doesn't get in the way of the Window's sleep timer at all. Both can be enabled at the same time and you can tell which is actually putting the pc to sleep by checking the system event log. If the event log shows reason for sleep as "idle" then it was Windows that put the computer to sleep. If it shows the reason as "application API" then it was Standby Helper that put the pc to sleep.

Thank you for answering one of my concerns and adding more information about the utility. As others may think differently I do appreciate you posting a work around, just as long as everyone knows it just that and not the true fix to the sleep problem. That is not mentioned in the recently posted tutorial in post #1018 of this thread nor any other post. This is quite a popular forum site which not only has a lot of members, but also a thousands of visitors that seek answers to their computer problems. We wouldn’t want to see people get misled.

My only other concern is how to uninstall it. I see no uninstall.exe, a .reg file, nor any other file to do so. I see no documentation on the site, nothing on it in the Readme file included in the download, in the tutorial recently posted, nor did I want to install it to find out. Perhaps I overlooked it. How does one accomplish an uninstall?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
John,
I followed your directions and it doesn't work for me. It's in my notification tray and running in my processes. Any ideas?

My machine is a chronic insomniac.

1. Download from here:
StandbyHelper - 1.0.0.5 - andy vt's tools & blog

2. Create a folder and unzip the contents.

3. Run the program and change these four settings. change the idle minutes to the time you want the computer to sleep but first check it using one minute to see if the program allows your computer to sleep. I set mine to a time AFTER my 30 minute sleep timer on the power setting, making Standby helper a backup to my Windows sleep timer:

View attachment 40688

3. Create a shortcut for the .exe file:

View attachment 40675

Finally, add a copy of the shortcut to the
C:\Users\John (whatever your User Name is)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

View attachment 40676

You should see the icon in your Notification area on startup. It starts minimized!:

View attachment 40677

So that is now my backup sleep mode. The computer does not falls asleep while I am watching a movie or video. It still takes a minute or two to go to sleep, like Windows sleep does. Nice find!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    dell xps 8500
@ Johnny

There was no need to remove your “caustic” post. It didn’t bother or affect me whatsoever. However, I can surely tell when I’m not wanted nor appreciated. So what I’m going to do as soon as I post this is go to the top of the page, push Thread Tools, push “Unsubscribe to this thread”, and leave you to what seems to have become “your thread”.

My biggest mistake was not unsubscribing when I read this good advice: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28226-windows-8-1-refuses-sleep-23.html#post356538

Have a great day and good luck to all. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I have also been having sleep issues and tried just about everything including installing the Spring Update. Nothing so far has provided a reliable fix but I have found a satisfactory work around for me. I'm using a program called Standby Helper and so far has worked flawlessly even when the built in window's timer fails. The tool has its own built in timer and parameters. I'm not sure what all of the parameters do and I did have to change a parameter called idle count from 10 to 1 to get it to work. I also had to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the window's start up folder to get it to auto run. During testing, I was able to confirm in the event viewer that it was working even when the window's timer failed.

Works like a dream for me. For the first time in months, my desktop system is auto-sleeping properly.

Many thanks for finding and publicising Standby Helper.

AlexB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and 8
    ChillBlast
    CPU
    Intel I7-870
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D-E
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
I really would like to know how to do uninstall. Is there a way short of hacking it out or nuke and pave?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I really would like to know how to do uninstall. Is there a way short of hacking it out or nuke and pave?

1. Remove Standby Helper from your Windows Startup folder and reboot.
  2. You may also wish to delete the folder into which you unzipped the downloaded Standby Helper file.

AlexB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and 8
    ChillBlast
    CPU
    Intel I7-870
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D-E
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

1. Remove Standby Helper from your Windows Startup folder and reboot.
  2. You may also wish to delete the folder into which you unzipped the downloaded Standby Helper file.

AlexB

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Too bad I have to shut down my pretty much new out of the box Windows 8, updated to 8.1 to get Sleep to function. Until it doesn't and I have to shut down and start it again. Love the damage I'm doing to it by spinning the drive.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/shut-down-or-sleep-how-should-you-leave-your-windows-81582089896.html

I have to say I drought you are doing any damage to it ,I have never used sleep function on my computers ,and have never had a harddrive fail on me .and I have owned a computer since 1996 .
you need to figure out what device or a bios function or some other function is causing it to not sleep .
for a test I have been using sleep for the past few weeks and have no issues with it not sleeping for me .I am running win8.1.1 enterprise

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
you need to figure out what device or a bios function or some other function is causing it to not sleep .
for a test I have been using sleep for the past few weeks and have no issues with it not sleeping for me .I am running win8.1.1 enterprise
I don't have the expertise nor the desire to mess around with the BIOS to find out why something that should be functioning, is not. Like I said its a new computer. Three programs added and it won't sleep reliably.

Never had an issue with my XP or Win 7 computers and their sleep functions. Based on this thread and other searches I am not alone in having a Win 8 or 8.1 computer with sleep issues. If I hadn't gotten this computer for a song I never would have willingly bought a Win 8 computer. This issue just adds to the annoyance with the OS.

edit: As an example of my frustration and somewhat related to Sleep, yesterday after I had manually put the computer to sleep when I woke it up it was on the lock screen and I had to enter my password to resume. I had disabled that function. Went round and round to try to figure out why this was now happening. Turned out the computer somehow switched its Power Plan from Balanced to Power Saver which did not have "require a password on wakeup" disabled. The computer changed the Power Plan on its own. Ridiculous.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't have the expertise nor the desire to mess around with the BIOS to find out why something that should be functioning, is not. Like I said its a new computer. Three programs added and it won't sleep reliably.

Never had an issue with my XP or Win 7 computers and their sleep functions. Based on this thread and other searches I am not alone in having a Win 8 or 8.1 computer with sleep issues. If I hadn't gotten this computer for a song I never would have willingly bought a Win 8 computer. This issue just adds to the annoyance with the OS.
take it back , I thinks it a 3rd party win8 driver or device issue not win8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard