Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

I really would like to know how to do uninstall. Is there a way short of hacking it out or nuke and pave?

EDIT 2014-04-14 Deleted this part of this post that was inappropriate against other posters.

Boulder and for others who are trying standby helper, give the program time to sleep. It took my computer a 3-4 minutes before it decided to sleep once the timer was up. Also make sure that the sleep function in the power setup for Win8 is close to the same or earlier.as what Standby Helper is set for. for instance, a one minute setting in standby helper should be matched like this:
2014-04-03_170450.jpg

Try this and get back to us with the results.

EDIT 2014-04-14 Deleted this part of this post that was inappropriate against other posters.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
not really following this thread ,and I'm not about to read all the post to see what's been suggested ,this site I have been reading has a few suggestions and some seem to work for some of the people who replied ,its likely you all have tried everything its suggest ,but I'll post it anyway hope it helps someone ,
Windows 8.1 won't sleep | fixedByVonnie

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
I really would like to know how to do uninstall. Is there a way short of hacking it out or nuke and pave?

Hippie threw a huge fit over a program he didn't even bother to try. There is no "install" on Standby helper. It is just an executable program stored in a folder. You either run it or you don't. Nothing is installed into any part of windows like the registry. AlexB said it best. Just don't run it and delete the folder. it's as benign as you can get.

Boulder and for others who are trying standby helper, give the program time to sleep. It took my computer a 3-4 minutes before it decided to sleep once the timer was up. Also make sure that the sleep function in the power setup for Win8 is close to the same or earlier.as what Standby Helper is set for. for instance, a one minute setting in standby helper should be matched like this:
View attachment 40849

Try this and get back to us with the results.

As for Hippie saying that I own this post, he is partially correct. NCGuy, Lin, Wyn, and other major helpers are the true owners, the ones that busted their butts trying to figure out what was wrong and found good workarounds or successful fixes and work hard to help others. What truly pisses me off are the arrogant posters who say its our fault since they don't have an issue and give "advice" (pages and pages of it) that does not help anyone. This forum can ban me but I will be damned before our hard work is dismissed so cavalierly without bitterly complaining about it. As for being off topic, I beg to differ. We are relentless and extremely focused here on exactly one problem and have been from the beginning of the post. We have made progress and have helped many a reader. Unfortunately, it certainly is getting HUGE, isn't it?

I do intend to try it and I appreciate you and others that have further explained the configuration. I agree, there is a massive database of collected info here, and, like them or not, many workarounds for those unable to to actually tackle it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Good rant, John. Certainly gets my back up being told it is our fault because their system works fine! I've got a laptop that works fine, too, but that is irrelevant when it comes to my PC or anyone else's computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
not really following this thread ,and I'm not about to read all the post to see what's been suggested ,this site I have been reading has a few suggestions and some seem to work for some of the people who replied ,its likely you all have tried everything its suggest ,but I'll post it anyway hope it helps someone ,

Yep, the post's suggestions are all mentioned here at some point or another. And many of them have their problems. If you turn off IPV6, Homegroup is disabled and I use homegroup a ton. Powercfg was dissected here line by line, heh. A lot of the power settings shown are for a laptop so does not pertain to most of us. Finally, we tried pinning sleep and open Metro apps together without success. Frankly, I have a feeling that Vonnie read through our post but did not pick up the side effects or the lack of success we had with his suggestions. There is nothing new here, but considering the massive size of this post, I don't blame folks for not reading all the way through it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS

Yep, the post's suggestions are all mentioned here at some point or another. And many of them have their problems. If you turn off IPV6, Homegroup is disabled and I use homegroup a ton. Powercfg was dissected here line by line, heh. A lot of the power settings shown are for a laptop so does not pertain to most of us. Finally, we tried pinning sleep and open Metro apps together without success. Frankly, I have a feeling that Vonnie read through our post but did not pick up the side effects or the lack of success we had with his suggestions. There is nothing new here, but considering the massive size of this post, I don't blame folks for not reading all the way through it.

After reading the article, I scrolled down and read the responses. Softlion posted a Device Manager "fix" that I don't remember seeing in this thread; however, even if it's been mentioned, proposing it again can't hurt and might help someone.

============
"Don't turn off IPv6 or HomeGroup.

Instead disable "Allow this device to wake the computer" by unchecking the box in Device Manager > Network Adapter > (your network adapter's name) > Properties > Power Management.

You can also, in "Advanced" (instead of "Power Management"), set the "Shutdown Wake-on-lan" / "Wake on packet magic" / "Wake on pattern match" propertie values to "Disabled"."
=============

This is a very serious problem to those who have it. That said, a little sliding off topic can sometimes create some comic relief (StarFerret thinks so) and can give our minds a rest. If someone stumbles in and asks a question that seems to be a tad bit off topic, it can give us a little more to think about.

Sometimes a break in routine will help . . . And now that the air is cleared, it would be good if Hippsie and John virtually shake hands and agree to disagree. As for those who stumble in here and say, "My computer doesn't have that problem, so it's your fault you have it" . . . well, I don't know what to do about them, but we can't let them continue to give wrong information, now can we. Not a fixable problem, eh?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
take it back , I thinks it a 3rd party win8 driver or device issue not win8
I saw it mentioned that driver updates can effect sleep, especially video drivers. I did a ton of updates out of the box to get to Win 8.1. I seem to remember an update for the Intel HD Graphics but I don't see one in Windows Update history or Installed Updates. When I check Device Manager the driver is dated 1/22/14 so it has to be an update since the computer was manufactured in 2013. It doesn't give me the option to roll back driver.

I wonder if that driver update is the culprit. But again since my computer sleeps after a restart, until it doesn't I would think its not related to a driver. I don't know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

There is no "install" on Standby helper. It is just an executable program stored in a folder. You either run it or you don't. Nothing is installed into any part of windows like the registry. AlexB said it best. Just don't run it and delete the folder. it's as benign as you can get.

John, I just noticed that the instructions someone posted for Standby helper said to point a shortcut to the executable from the start menu. Not sure how this loads into memory but this would have it load for each successive login of that user during the same machine session. Does it also fully unload on a log out? If not the same user could be loading it multiple times. Would it potentially make more more sense to load it one-time through a bootup startup task as opposed to the login start menu?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Win and NCGuy, Win, Turning off the network adapter's "allow to wake" was posted and a image of it was done as long ago as post 77.
NCguy, think of Standby Helper as a on/off icon, like Steam. There is only the one icon in the notification field, and when you close the one copy, it's closed. Don't read anything more into it, some programs are just that simple. I strongly suggest running it to see how it works and how to turn it off. It does use some MS programs to run, but it is a script after all. I trust it to do absolutely no harm.

2014-04-04_173730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Win and NCGuy, Win, Turning off the network adapter's "allow to wake" was posted and a image of it was done as long ago as post 77.

Aw, shucks . . . that's what happens when you pass 75, I guess. First your memory and then . . . ummm, errr, I forgot . . .

I was surely hoping I'd stumbled onto something when I copied Softlion's post here.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
In the article I quoted in my last post there is this:

"The command is now called Sleep, and it doesn’t present those problems anymore. First, drivers and applications are no longer allowed to interrupt the Sleep process."

Really? Numerous posts here refer to drivers interfering with sleep. Do they or don't they?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
My computer slept fine with Win8 and stopped sleeping correctly, with no hardware changes, with Win8.1. I am also not the only person who has posted in this thread in the exact same situation. I have also tried installing Win8.1 from scratch, without upgrading from Win8; same results.

In the article I quoted in my last post there is this: "The command is now called Sleep, and it doesn’t present those problems anymore. First, drivers and applications are no longer allowed to interrupt the Sleep process."
Sorry if I missed it - I did try to look back at your posts. But can you share the link where you obtained this quote please?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7/960 3.2GHz Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3 1600 triple channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce (nVidia) GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    300GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    600GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    2TB RAID 0 array on an LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i card using 1TB Hitachi SATA drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 690
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech M500 black laser
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
My computer slept fine with Win8 and stopped sleeping correctly, with no hardware changes, with Win8.1. I am also not the only person who has posted in this thread in the exact same situation. I have also tried installing Win8.1 from scratch, without upgrading from Win8; same results.

In the article I quoted in my last post there is this: "The command is now called Sleep, and it doesn’t present those problems anymore. First, drivers and applications are no longer allowed to interrupt the Sleep process."
Sorry if I missed it - I did try to look back at your posts. But can you share the link where you obtained this quote please?
win8 and win8.1 are two different OS's, lots of people have/had issues with there computer and device makers having drivers for 8 but not 8.1 ,and people had issues with the 8 driver not working in 8.1 ,and so and so on, sorry I cant explain it any better than that . as I cant explain why both my computer will sleep with 8.1 if I set it to .I now have 8.1.1 installed so will check sleep with that to ,and im going to stat using sleep all the time to save power .
good luck with you issues

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
My computer sleeps fine! It's your fault nah nah nah! Lol Just kidding!

The only thing I could say is depending if you install Windows 8.1 offline (until you reach the desktop for the first time) or online, the OS will behave very differently. As for me, it solved the problem long ago. In the welcome section of the installation, I've unchecked everything in the 3rd page about privacy options except for Defender but I don't think it's mandatory. Choose "don't update automatic" for windows updates.

After that, plug the internet and cmd prompt admin then slui 3 to activate windows, then update drivers. I got Realtek for ethernet so I've downloaded the most recent driver on their site, then UNINSTALLED the driver before reinstall it just to be sure. Do the same with the sensible ones such graphic cards, etc. Once it's done, go to win updates and force them all. After that you can set them to "automatic". If you do that in that order, you should do a perfect score (no failed updates). Note: the first time you search for updates, it will glitch so you need to reboot then start over again.

After that, make some tests about your sleep and solve the common ones. It should do the trick. Go to file history and make an disk image, so you could re-image windows as you please under 20 minutes if something go wrong.

Note 2: if you have SSD before installing a fresh copy of windows you should check the firmware on it and update it if available. You need to go to the manufacturer website to do so and you need another windows to do it since you can't do that if you have windows on the same disk. Note: there is a bug windows sometimes tries to defrag SSD instead of TRIM but that's another story...

OKAY! Once you have your image disk, ONLY then, you can reactivate file sharing, homegroup, microsoft account, onedrive, etc and see what cause the random sleep issue. If something goes wrong, just use your image to return to the "offline" state.

To be honnest, I stayed in the "offline" state and I don't experience the random sleep issue anymore. I don't care to format frequently and don't need the online features and homegroup. But with this receipe at least it works. The main point is to gain the image disk with all the sync crap turned off then try to activate what you need after that.

Good day to all of you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
Orbital, I have 4 computers, all with Win8.1. I used a Win8.1 Pro USB stick that I installed every one on a Samsung EVO or Pro SSD. 3 sleep fine, one does not. I used the same offline settings and check boxes (except for name) on all four. I do auto updates on all and log into Windows on only one. I don't see how the method of installing could be related to anything since my errant computer now is sleeping with both Win8.1.1 and StandbyHelper running.
I guess someone could nuke their machine to follow your example, but my gut feel is that it wouldn't help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Orbital, I have 4 computers, all with Win8.1. I used a Win8.1 Pro USB stick that I installed every one on a Samsung EVO or Pro SSD. 3 sleep fine, one does not. I used the same offline settings and check boxes (except for name) on all four. I do auto updates on all and log into Windows on only one. I don't see how the method of installing could be related to anything since my errant computer now is sleeping with both Win8.1.1 and StandbyHelper running.
I guess someone could nuke their machine to follow your example, but my gut feel is that it wouldn't help.

It is really bizarre I must admit. Well if it works now you should stay that way as I do!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
Oh Lordy, I hope the April 8th update does not break anyone else. My computer seemed to have lapsed into errant sleep habits after I updated the leaked release, with Standby Helper filling in those sleepless nights. I donno if this forum post could handle much more!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Oh Lordy, I hope the April 8th update does not break anyone else. My computer seemed to have lapsed into errant sleep habits after I updated the leaked release, with Standby Helper filling in those sleepless nights. I donno if this forum post could handle much more!

We'd probably all run off gibbering, John! Hate to say it, but I'm kind of reluctant to get the 8.1.1 update for the sleep reason alone.

This from one who's been beta testing for 20 plus years including Vista and Windows 7 (among many other things) and couldn't wait for the next bits to come out so I could try to tear things up! Now I'd just like to have something that works like it should. Sigh . . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I have 8.1.1 on 2 drives[enterprise and pro both 64bit ] duel booting and no issues for me so far ,computer sleeps and wakes when asked with the click of my mouse

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p