Windows 8 Pro price slashed..........

Lets put it this way, if Apple had done what Microsoft did and merged the full-blown ipad with a macbook air(which honestly, will probably happen eventually), Apple fanbois would be genuflecting at the temple of Jobs.

Apple would have done it in a way the customers like.

If they had served it on a bed of nails, the Apple customers would have liked it and asked for more. Apple customers aren't exactly hard to please.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Hiya Tony,

Tony
I personally think that price and choice of apps is a major factor.

I think you will find price is a factor in most purchasing decisions, is it not?

Do you think people who are not going within 10ft of win 8 know what the app situation is?

Hello mate,

I'd agree on the price point. I think if someone was going to replace an iPad with a Surface they would be mad not to review the App situation first, how gutted would you feel if all your favourite apps were not as good or not available after spending £700 on a Surface . I wonder how many windows 8 users have an iPad and how many of them intend to replace it with a surface in the future.

I'm a bit of a secret Apple hater (bit strong of a word) but own an iPhone and iPad because there's isn't any thing as good hardware and app wise. As a tweaker and tinkerer I hate the fact Apple products are such a closed shop and I will never own an Apple computer for that reason, if I couldn't get on with Windows 8 or future MS O/S's then I would have just stuck with Vista and probably upgraded to Win 7. A lot of people knocked Vista but it was rock solid, XP used to have to be reinstalled every few years due to it slowing down, worms, virus attacks or just boot errors, my Vista install lasted 5 years without a major problem. Windows 8 latest a week before I couldn't boot it up and required some major open heart surgery but has been fine for the last month so perhaps it was a one off.

I've gone from a Windows 8 hater or lover, I did install Start8 so now I have the best of both worlds, I think we should be in full control of our own computers by having the choice of using the desktop or Metro, I'd like to see resizable metro apps in the future but if I buy a new widescreen monitor the I will be able to snap the apps to the side of the monitor so maybe I won't need to.

Thanks

Tony

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built System
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66Ghz, Overclocked to 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5
    Memory
    8GB XMS2 4GB DDR2 PC2-8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte 660GTX 2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SMS27B970D
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1xSAMSUNG SSD 840 Pro Series Basic 2.5" - 512 GB - Boot drive
    2xSamsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
    PSU
    Corsair 520HX
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700NT
    Internet Speed
    12Mb/s
    Other Info
    I did a fresh format and install of Windows 8 64 Bit Pro. Sorry but I couldn't live without a start button so I have installed the Start8 start menu which is great. I try sometimes not to use it but find metro frustrating to find programs as I have many. I will use Metro for apps only and desktop of serious computing.
Lets put it this way, if Apple had done what Microsoft did and merged the full-blown ipad with a macbook air(which honestly, will probably happen eventually), Apple fanbois would be genuflecting at the temple of Jobs.

Apple would have done it in a way the customers like.
That is the most ridiculous statement I've heard since I've been on here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

People only buy Apple products, because they are expensive and don't work. :sarc:
Nah, you are stetching it. They do work.
Apple only builds stuff to suit their bottom line, not because the customers like it, they have virtually admitted that themselves, Steve Jobs made reference to it. If they built stuff for customers you'd be able to do anything on an iPad, you can't unless you jailbreak it.
And when someone does jailbreak it they immediately seal the leak, like they've just done with IOS 6.12.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Did you know that jailbraking a device is even illigal in the US.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I couldn't care if its illegal or not, I don't do it. What I'm saying is that to do anything mainstream on an iPad that's what you have to do. I don't need to because I have plenty of devices and PCs.
Thats why I'm hoping Microsoft succeeds in their attempts to unify everything, then I can get rid of all my little toys and have grownup stuff. I can't stand having my iPad out in public because I'd feel like a pretentious you know what. But I'd walk around with a Surface type tablet no problem at all.

I'm not really an Apple type person and I don't like having it, but at the time some of it was the best at what it does. Now the world is moving on and I can move back to what I like best.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Not illegal to jailbreak but it is illegal to unlock currently. There is talk to overturn that.. U.S. Declares iPhone Jailbreaking Legal, Over Apple

I still have yet to buy a smartphone. My dumbphone is approaching a decade old yee haw. I don't see the point in paying for the Internet twice and there isn't an app i've seen that can't be replaced by simple planning. Maps to get somewhere? I have a printer :p. And its like nobody provides a simple data plan because they're using the margins they're bilking you for on data to 'pay' for that free phone and then some and then some.. oh and then some.

I could use a dumbphone for $30 a month and be smart about my planning, or be paying $70-80 a month and have it do all my planning for me. Wow.. hard choice :/.

I'll take the $40-50 a month and apply it to something useful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile

Not illegal to jailbreak but it is illegal to unlock currently. There is talk to overturn that.. U.S. Declares iPhone Jailbreaking Legal, Over Apple

I still have yet to buy a smartphone. My dumbphone is approaching a decade old yee haw. I don't see the point in paying for the Internet twice and there isn't an app i've seen that can't be replaced by simple planning. Maps to get somewhere? I have a printer :p. And its like nobody provides a simple data plan because they're using the margins they're bilking you for on data to 'pay' for that free phone and then some and then some.. oh and then some.

I could use a dumbphone for $30 a month and be smart about my planning, or be paying $70-80 a month and have it do all my planning for me. Wow.. hard choice :/.

You're paying $30 per month, I'm paying $49 for a HTC OneX with a $280 pair of headphones free, $600 worth of calls and 2.5GB of data per month.
Before that, I was on a similar deal for $39 per month, there are no upfront fees and I don't pay for the phones. I look for deals. I can do most things on a phone that I can do on a tablet, I don't need maps and I don't need a Navigator anymore. I can look up places to eat, Hotels, Service Stations and Caravan Parks.
When I find what I want I touch the screen and it rings the number, smartphones really are smart, I personally couldn't live without one. If I'm sitting at home and want to look something up it's on and it takes just seconds.

I use the HTC as a Hotspot for my Netbooks or iPads which really, really, comes in handy when travelling. I don't have to fork out the extra money for another network provider.

When I say I don't need maps, I still always have one to get an overall picture of where I'm going especially when I'm travelling in Europe, it just gives you a better picture of where you are generally.

My Computer

System One

• OS
They love Apple's consumer toys

People only buy Apple products, because they are expensive and don't work. :sarc:

I was being sarcastic. :)

Apple only builds stuff to suit their bottom line, not because the customers like it, they have virtually admitted that themselves, Steve Jobs made reference to it.

Why do consumers buy Apple products, if they hate them?

People mightn't like Macs, but a lot of people love Apple's consumer toys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I was being sarcastic.

sarcasm1.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

I was being sarcastic. :)

Apple only builds stuff to suit their bottom line, not because the customers like it, they have virtually admitted that themselves, Steve Jobs made reference to it.

Why do consumers buy Apple products, if they hate them?

People mightn't like Macs, but a lot of people love Apple's consumer toys.
I don't think I ever said they hate them, the loving started with the iPod then the iPhone and onto the iPad. Apple people are a different type to mainstream people, they're not called sheep for nothing. If you go to their websites the talk is sickening, it's like they're talking about babies. Of course they're not all like that, but a large proportion are.

Go to a Windows Website and the talk is completely different, it's all about the hate, the majority of Windows users hate everything from Windows 8, to Surface RT to Surface Pro to MS Office to Windows Phone to Steve Balmer to the Ribbon to Subscription Fees and so on and so forth since the year dot.

The difference is like Night and Day or Sweet and Sour.

They asked a woman in a sheep lineup why she was there so early to buy the iPhone 5, she said because they were so cheap, only $200, she was going to buy five. They asked her what features she liked, she said she didn't know anything about it. That's a Apple person.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Why even pay 40 USD a month when using an old phone -- it's probably FAR CHEAPER to simply use a "Pay as you Go" no contract SIM. At the price of calls do you actually USE the equivalent in what a monthly charge would cost.

The reasons networks tie you into contracts is a) obviously to make money and b) enticing you by providing you with what seems a nice new phone with very little up front costs - but this is a TRAP -- think what a 2 year contract costs at 70 USD a month -- almost 1700 USD -- in 5 years you could have paid for a nice USED CAR at that rate or even saved enough for part of a down payment to get A MORTGAGE.

People rarely work out the HUGE difference between a Contract or a "Pay as you GO". The actual call charges aren't much more on a Pay as you Go and do you really make that many calls on your mobile every month -- maybe if you do you should re-examine your social life a bit more.

The only exception here is if you travel a lot and need to make / receive a lot of business calls --then the business should pay or if you are a freelance consultant or self employed the cost can be recouped from your taxes.

There is also a misconception with Internet on smart phones --these work on ANY PUBLIC / PRIVATE Wi-Fi network without even needing a sim card in them so if you are worried about pay as you go not having internet -- not true if you can connect to wifi spots -- pretty common in most urban areas. You can even use Data mode on pay as you go too but the public Internet via Wi-Fi is pretty decent .

4G services are also available with Pay as you Go sims too so forget the old contract tied model unless you really HAVE to have it.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Ray— do you want to know something else people are not lining up for? Nobody is lining up to use your coined term; MPI abbreviation for Modular Phone Index or whatever you said it stands for. There is no reference to it on Google or Bing at all.
Why can't you use the same terminology as everyone else without making more confusion?:what: Members who did not read your original post have no idea what you're talking about & members who did read it back then, forgot your exact terminology.
If you are going to continue using it, at least have the decency to include a link to original post with the explanation of MPI.

BTW & FYI—> the last picture is of 5 IT's wanting to access their MPI but can't figure out what it is or its function to see if it's working right. :dinesh:

Other than Bill, has anyone seen people line up for the Surface Pro. Where are they lining up? Certainly not Australia and many other parts of the world, as it's not even available. I have seen people line up at Aldi to buy their Android tablets.

What is it with you Ray, you've just got to be right or what, you've got to win because you made some weird prediction. I don't know what Microsoft ever did to you but it's got to be bad.

Listen seeing you've uninstalled Windows 8 I'll send you my Post Office box number I'll take the piece of crap of your hands, I know how much you despise it.

Have you heard of Google or Bing, type in Surface Pro line ups, and then hit images, I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about

I'm trying to respond to a somewhat confusing and fragmented post, however.

I merely asked a question based on your personal observation. You being in Australia, me being in Australia and both of us well aware that the Surface Pro is not available for sale in Australia, it begs the question as to where these people are lining up to buy the Surface Pro. Is that an unreasonable question?

As for weird predictions, what might they be? And why do you get the idea that Microsoft has done anything to me personally, that's weird. People criticise products every day over one issue or another, yet overall find their functionality satisfactory. I've been a Microsoft user for over 30 years and, unlike you, don't own anything Apple/Android, as I'm quite happy with Microsoft products.

Also, if you'd been more observant with you reading, you would have comprehended that I've only removed Windows 8 from my tablet, not my PC. And the only thing I despise about Windows 8 is the MPI, as do many others.

OK, I just Googled 'surface pro line ups' as you suggested and got this:

So then I tried 'surface pro lineups':

Then I tired Bing:

View attachment 17754

I'm not sure if the last two have anything to do with the Surface Pro. But who knows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
You're paying $30 per month, I'm paying $49 for a HTC OneX with a $280 pair of headphones free, $600 worth of calls and 2.5GB of data per month.
Hey, which headphones have you got. I'm a bit of an Audio guy myself. I use a pair of Grado SR-125's at work, and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's at home.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Back