Windows 8 Pro price slashed..........

How do any of us know what's in store for Windows Blue, we're all sitting around complaining and whining about an OS that cost $39, about the price of a lousy meal in Australia, or a 20k ride on a train or a few schooners of beer.

Can't people just accept what we have at the moment, quite a few naysayers are starting to get to grips with Windows 8. If Windows Blue turns out to be a disaster as well for you, then you can all go out and burn your Bras and buy a $3000 MacBook Pro to sit on here and complain.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I think someone's having a:

image.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Here is something for people that complain about not being able to resize Metro Apps, now there's nothing left to complain about let's all have a party.
Windows utility maker Stardock has released an amazing application that lets you run Windows 8 “Metro” apps in a window alongside traditional Windows applications. It’s not free, but if you use Windows 8 on a desktop PC as I do, this might be the best $5 you ever spend..
How does this sit with you Ray, does this make the IMP better.

That could be worth a serious looking-at for some of us.

Thanks, Bill... :)

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Opportunity? If you are one of the few who actually wants one - then it must be galling you can't use it. Not clear to me why it won't work on your machine - you didn't specify.

Hello SIW,

Wow! Apparently, you have to choose your words wisely or run the risk of getting bashed in this thread. So, let me change the word "Opportunity" to "Unfortunately" and now I guess I'll hear from the other side. BTW, I'm not "galled" at all; however, I am a bit surprised that YOU read so much into my post... quite an analysis on your part. And finally, I live in the US, and as far as I know, I cannot use a windows 8 version that was purchased with "quid!"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
How do any of us know what's in store for Windows Blue, we're all sitting around complaining and whining about an OS that cost $39, about the price of a lousy meal in Australia, or a 20k ride on a train or a few schooners of beer.

Can't people just accept what we have at the moment, quite a few naysayers are starting to get to grips with Windows 8. If Windows Blue turns out to be a disaster as well for you, then you can all go out and burn your Bras and buy a $3000 MacBook Pro to sit on here and complain.

Hi there.
why are people always so pessimistic. Let's wait and see. It might turn out to be OK -- after all I can't think of any company that DELIBERATELY wants to go bust.

Actually your train prices seem fine in $ AU.

I had to travel for business from Manchester(UK) to London recently -- around 640 KM return --- Business / First class on Virgin Trains cost me an absolutely Wallet Busting 441 GBP !!!! -- Lucky the business was paying -- For that price I could get nearly Three return flights from Amsterdam to Iceland, one flight from Manchester / London to LA or or even with a bit of searching one flight to 'OZ.

I'm going to see if I can send the ticket to "The Guiness Book of Records" as the world most expensive railway ticket (based on cost per km).

Screenshot enc -- Virgin trains UK price !!!!!

(You can get much cheaper if you book in advance -- rarely possible in a lot of business instances -- the difference here also between going "Cattle class" which on that route is always GROSSLY OVERCROWDED where you'd have to stand all the way on that 7.00 AM service and ist class where you get a seat and can do some work before arriving at the meeting is worth the business paying the extra. -- However if say 5 or 6 of us were going HIRING A PLANE !!! would actually be cheaper !!).

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• virgin.png
    virgin.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 103

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there.
why are people always so pessimistic. Let's wait and see. It might turn out to be OK -- after all I can't think of any company that DELIBERATELY wants to go bust.

Actually your train prices seem fine in $ AU.

I had to travel for business from Manchester(UK) to London recently -- around 640 KM return --- Business / First class on Virgin Trains cost me an absolutely Wallet Busting 441 GBP !!!! -- Lucky the business was paying -- For that price I could get nearly Three return flights from Amsterdam to Iceland, one flight from Manchester / London to LA or or even with a bit of searching one flight to 'OZ.

I'm going to see if I can send the ticket to "The Guiness Book of Records" as the world most expensive railway ticket (based on cost per km).

Screenshot enc -- Virgin trains UK price !!!!!

(You can get much cheaper if you book in advance -- rarely possible in a lot of business instances -- the difference here also between going "Cattle class" which on that route is always GROSSLY OVERCROWDED where you'd have to stand all the way on that 7.00 AM service and ist class where you get a seat and can do some work before arriving at the meeting is worth the business paying the extra. -- However if say 5 or 6 of us were going HIRING A PLANE !!! would actually be cheaper !!).

Cheers
jimbo
I like England, but I don't know how the poor old Brits can afford to live there, although Norway is even worse, beautiful places to visit but I think I'll stay in Australia. One good thing about England and Europe, Ryan Air and Easy Jet a lot cheaper than trains.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Here is something for people that complain about not being able to resize Metro Apps, now there's nothing left to complain about let's all have a party.
Windows utility maker Stardock has released an amazing application that lets you run Windows 8 “Metro” apps in a window alongside traditional Windows applications. It’s not free, but if you use Windows 8 on a desktop PC as I do, this might be the best $5 you ever spend..
How does this sit with you Ray, does this make the IMP better.

That could be worth a serious looking-at for some of us.

Thanks, Bill... :)

Wenda.
You're welcome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
We went from Stuttgart/Germany to Paris/France with the TGV. That is 632 KM driving distance one way. The TGV got us there in a bit over 3 hours and we paid 120 Euros round trip - for 2 people. But that was only possible because I had bought the tickets in France (we live not too far from the border). The German railroad wanted twice as much for exactly the same thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
... after all I can't think of any company that DELIBERATELY wants to go bust.

No they don't. but through poor decision making they do or very nearly do. Look at Nokia, Blackberry, Sony etc as recent examples of tech companies that have been leaders of their field and are now struggling. It doesn't take much to start the spiral, just put enough customers off-side and once they find an alternative, they see no reason to go back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
They are trying to do something about the poor sales.

Not clear to me if they think massive price slashing is the whole answer - or if they are actually going to make the right changes with Blue.

It looks more likely that they will.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
... after all I can't think of any company that DELIBERATELY wants to go bust.

No they don't. but through poor decision making they do or very nearly do. Look at Nokia, Blackberry, Sony etc as recent examples of tech companies that have been leaders of their field and are now struggling. It doesn't take much to start the spiral, just put enough customers off-side and once they find an alternative, they see no reason to go back.

It all comes down to finding markets for products that you can sell.

The numbers for Surface Pro sales are likely going to stun the industry. They're currently Out Of Stock again. Why? Because it hits a new market instead of trying to make in-roads into an old one. I have yet to meet anyone irl that runs a Windows Computer(Desktop, Laptop, or otherwise), that isn't very interested in the Surface Pro(it usually comes down to timing and when they'll have the $$ to upgrade). The ability to both essentially take your PC and put it in a 2 lb Macbook Air-sized form factor, while having all the capabilities of an iPad is something people want badly, and do not currently have.

RT COULD sell if they redesigned the form factor to that of more of a mini-type device and were able to compete on price with the iPad as a result. Having it be a form factor not much smaller than the pro while not having anywhere near the capabilities was a very big misstep on Microsoft's part.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
A 10 in machine at 1.5 lbs that does what a laptop does seems like a sound idea.

Chris a
I have yet to meet anyone irl that runs a Windows Computer(Desktop, Laptop, or otherwise), that isn't very interested in the Surface Pro

I have yet to meet anyone who is in the slightest bit interested.

I don't know anyone irl who is an IT pro - or who is regular on computer forums.

Perhaps we move in different circles.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I think someone convinced the Microsoft board to ignore the desktop user, they have no where to go anyway, and simply go mobile with everything. To that end, forget the desktop and spending any more money/effort in maintaining it, and eventually get rid of it in in favour of an app representation of all current Microsoft programs. Industry will naturally have to follow, as Windows is the dominant OS in the world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I haven't met anyone who is even remotely interested in Windows 8, let alone the Surface Pro. But then again, I don't hang around with IT and related people.

My Computer

System One

• OS
A 10 in machine at 1.5 lbs that does what a laptop does seems like a sound idea.

Chris a
I have yet to meet anyone irl that runs a Windows Computer(Desktop, Laptop, or otherwise), that isn't very interested in the Surface Pro

I don't know anyone irl who is an IT pro - or who is regular on computer forums.

I personally think that price and choice of apps is a major factor. If I could get all my iPad apps on a Surface Pro and it was £100 cheaper than an iPad then when my iPad is up for replacement I would seriously consider getting one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built System
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66Ghz, Overclocked to 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5
    Memory
    8GB XMS2 4GB DDR2 PC2-8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte 660GTX 2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SMS27B970D
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1xSAMSUNG SSD 840 Pro Series Basic 2.5" - 512 GB - Boot drive
    2xSamsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
    PSU
    Corsair 520HX
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700NT
    Internet Speed
    12Mb/s
    Other Info
    I did a fresh format and install of Windows 8 64 Bit Pro. Sorry but I couldn't live without a start button so I have installed the Start8 start menu which is great. I try sometimes not to use it but find metro frustrating to find programs as I have many. I will use Metro for apps only and desktop of serious computing.
Maybe Ray.

I would have to speculate it was Stevie S who insisted on this implemetation. Perhaps at first it seemed to be going ok - they shifted a decent number of licenses - many still haven't been sold on - even now.

They have had a bit of success with Surface Pro - but that is likely to be a niche. Nokia have manged to sell some lumias - but it is Nokia's offering doing that - and the numbers are relatively modest. They can't rely on Nokia doing it all for them.

Overall it is not going well.

The price slashing is an attempt to do something about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hiya Tony,

Tony
I personally think that price and choice of apps is a major factor.

I think you will find price is a factor in most purchasing decisions, is it not?

Do you think people who are not going within 10ft of win 8 know what the app situation is?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Chris a

I personally think that price and choice of apps is a major factor. If I could get all my iPad apps on a Surface Pro and it was £100 cheaper than an iPad then when my iPad is up for replacement I would seriously consider getting one.

You have two types of people. Those who need a laptop, for which apps and the ability to become a tablet is a nice addition. The second are those who want to use apps and a tablet, for which a laptop is a nice addition.

I fall in the first type, as do most Surface Pro buyers. Anybody focused on any type of app store was never really going to buy a Surface Pro to begin with. The only thing that justifies that type of price is if its primarily to be used as a laptop with the ability to go tablet with apps being a secondary consideration. Or, who cares about the size of the app store when you have years, if not decades, of full-blown applications you can run?

And make no mistake, there are a lot of people for whom taking basically a computer and an ipad and merging it into one 3 pound device.. it can't come fast enough.

Lets put it this way, if Apple had done what Microsoft did and merged the full-blown ipad with a macbook air with a detachable keyboard(which honestly, will probably happen eventually), Apple fanbois would be genuflecting at the temple of Jobs and proclaiming the genius of Apple at coming up with the next great device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Lets put it this way, if Apple had done what Microsoft did and merged the full-blown ipad with a macbook air(which honestly, will probably happen eventually), Apple fanbois would be genuflecting at the temple of Jobs.

Apple would have done it in a way the customers like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What's a tablet, I don't know but I'm due for mine. Young people and their gadgets bah!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 143

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back