Windows 8 Pro price slashed..........

So if an iPhone goes wrong after 18 months Apple have to repair it free of charge even thought it states the warranty is 12 months in the handbook?

Cheers

Tony

Subject to the purchase being made within the EU and the purchase having been made as a private individual then it is the retailers responsibility. You have a seller/buyer contract with them. How they (the retailer) deals with Apple is their problem and not yours.

It is irrelevant what Apple or indeed any other manufacturer quotes in their small print. Even Apple acknowledge this

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
I like this Australian law. Here is another country where consumer protection is tops. Try that in the US.

PS: In the EU, warrenties have to be at least 2 years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Goods should last a reasonable length of time. If you get a £3.99 kettle from Argos - not too surprising if it fails after 18mths.

If you spend hundreds on an ipad - it should reasonably be expected to last more than 18mths. (Unles you damaged it, of course )

Trick is to be firm and polite - you must go to whoever it was bought from. You have had 18mths use of it - so you can't expect a full refund or brand new one - but they may offer to fix, or if that is uneconomic - something else.

I believe the 5 yr came about as the result of Which mag. asking all the fridge/washing machin/tv manufacturers how long their stuff should last. They all said at least five years, so they are stuck with that.

Take the example of an Apple ipod that breaks down outside the standard one-year guarantee. The usual response, or at least the response from both the Manchester and Birmingham Apple Centres, is don't bother getting a repair. Staff say the cost of repair would exceed the value of a £300 40Gb model and refuse a free replacement. Yet iPods are designed to be portable and take a reasonable amount of wear and tear. Consumers should follow the advice of Which? (right) and demand refunds when the fault is not of their making.

Faulty goods? You've still got rights when the guarantee runs out | Money | The Guardian

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Take the example of an Apple ipod that breaks down outside the standard one-year guarantee. The usual response, or at least the response from both the Manchester and Birmingham Apple Centres, is don't bother getting a repair. Staff say the cost of repair would exceed the value of a £300 40Gb model and refuse a free replacement. Yet iPods are designed to be portable and take a reasonable amount of wear and tear. Consumers should follow the advice of Which? (right) and demand refunds when the fault is not of their making.

Faulty goods? You've still got rights when the guarantee runs out | Money | The Guardian

Good article - hence Apple were fined by the Italians for trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer.

Also, if the fault occurs during the first 6 months of purchase then always refuse a repair and insist upon a replacement. That is another statutory right within the legislation.

All of this is assuming that the purchaser has not damaged the goods whilst in use - dropping it, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast

Good article - hence Apple were fined by the Italians for trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer.

Also, if the fault occurs during the first 6 months of purchase then always refuse a repair and insist upon a replacement. That is another statutory right within the legislation.

All of this is assuming that the purchaser has not damaged the goods whilst in use - dropping it, etc.
Problem with a replacement nowadays is that Apple will replace it with a refurbished device which could be older and more knocked about than the one you're getting rid of. More and more companies seem to be doing this now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Problem with a replacement nowadays is that Apple will replace it with a refurbished device which could be older and more knocked about than the one you're getting rid of. More and more companies seem to be doing this now.
In theory that could happen. However, that doesn't seem to be a prevalent problem. My wife had an iPod replaced before and it was like brand new.

Multiple friends have purchased Macs from the Apple refurb store and they have always been practically perfect.

Lots of companies deal with replacement parts that are refurbished. I've seen it from Dell and HP both. It's never caused me any problems.

And with respect to better warranty and consumer protection in Australia, let's not forget how much more expensive all of these devices are in Australia. Video games are nearly $100, game consoles are $600+, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Newegg also offers refurbished devices. The other day I was tempted to buy a refurbished OCZ SSD from them. But then the wife was complaining that I might soon need an extra room to store all the SSDs in the house, LOL.

I think a refurbished device from a reputable company is better than an unboxed device from a brick and mortar store. There you never know what maltreatment the device has had since anybody could have played with it - and probably mostly people that have no clue on how to properly operate it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
A lot of the refurbished devices sold is from returns from people who do not read the manual, buyers remorse and of course minor defects.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb