Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hmm ...

I don't think I ever said they hate them, the loving started with the iPod then the iPhone and onto the iPad. Apple people are a different type to mainstream people, they're not called sheep for nothing. If you go to their websites the talk is sickening, it's like they're talking about babies. Of course they're not all like that, but a large proportion are.

Go to a Windows Website and the talk is completely different, it's all about the hate, the majority of Windows users hate everything from Windows 8, to Surface RT to Surface Pro to MS Office to Windows Phone to Steve Balmer to the Ribbon to Subscription Fees and so on and so forth since the year dot.

The difference is like Night and Day or Sweet and Sour.

They asked a woman in a sheep lineup why she was there so early to buy the iPhone 5, she said because they were so cheap, only $200, she was going to buy five. They asked her what features she liked, she said she didn't know anything about it. That's a Apple person.

Apple is known to instantly purge any complaints from their forums (they probably lean on pro-Apple sites too).

So what you are actually saying is people buy Apple products, not because they like them, but because they are retarded?

Just make sure the thing has a BIOS. Then you can wipe the playmobile and put something decent on it. A $400 laptop plus $100 for an SSD plus free Linux Mint makes a great system.
Yeah problem is Mint runs slower than Windows 8 and what happens if the wireless doesn't work.
Not on my system. It also uses fewer resources. Most importantly - it doesn't have Metro.

There is something wrong with his hardware.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
What kind of fish are they, Bill?

We are onto animals - LOl are we doing travel and photography as well.
Might as well, we've gone off track a bit, I'll fix those photos, it doesn't look like I'm into pohtography from those, wrong computer. I'll try to find that 200 year old village for Ray as well, I'm not sure I took any photos, but I probably did. I've got over 10000 photos, so might take a while.

The fish are Peppermint Bristlenose, a catfish from South America, very expensive when I took those photos, about $400 per pair, but as you can see they were all in the logs breeding and I sold the babies for $15 each, hundreds.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
They asked a woman in a sheep lineup why she was there so early to buy the iPhone 5, she said because they were so cheap, only $200, she was going to buy five. They asked her what features she liked, she said she didn't know anything about it. That's a Apple person.
Very close species to the BOSE people. Marketing tells them they are awesome, they aspire to own them, but they don't eval any other reputable company. Sad.

Oooohh don't go out and buy something with Windows 8 on it, we don't want those sales going up. Yeah joe pubic wont be changing OS, so they can either get milked by MS or buy an Apple computer and get really robbed blind by Apple.

Or they can go out and by an Android tablet and get robbed by Google.
Most people who buy Apple don't feel robbed. It's usually Windows fans who wonder why people like something else other than what they use who feel it's the ripoff.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I don't think I ever said they hate them, the loving started with the iPod then the iPhone and onto the iPad. Apple people are a different type to mainstream people, they're not called sheep for nothing. If you go to their websites the talk is sickening, it's like they're talking about babies. Of course they're not all like that, but a large proportion are.

Go to a Windows Website and the talk is completely different, it's all about the hate, the majority of Windows users hate everything from Windows 8, to Surface RT to Surface Pro to MS Office to Windows Phone to Steve Balmer to the Ribbon to Subscription Fees and so on and so forth since the year dot.

The difference is like Night and Day or Sweet and Sour.

Apple is known to instantly purge any complaints from their forums (they probably lean on pro-Apple sites too).

So what you are actually saying is people buy Apple products, not because they like them, but because they are retarded?

Yeah problem is Mint runs slower than Windows 8 and what happens if the wireless doesn't work.
Not on my system. It also uses fewer resources. Most importantly - it doesn't have Metro.

There is something wrong with his hardware.
I wouldn't say that exactly, I don't particularly like calling people names, just pointing out that when it comes to tech, a lot of them are followers and they've really got no idea what they're buying. I do however use the term Sheep and Fanboy because that's actually become a fairly common term, with no real malice attached, why, I get called a Fanboy on here, while technically incorrect, it doesn't really bother me.

If you ever see me call someone a name like that tell me and I'll slap myself silly, see I cant even say it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Very close species to the BOSE people. Marketing tells them they are awesome, they aspire to own them, but they don't eval any other reputable company. Sad.

Oooohh don't go out and buy something with Windows 8 on it, we don't want those sales going up. Yeah joe pubic wont be changing OS, so they can either get milked by MS or buy an Apple computer and get really robbed blind by Apple.

Or they can go out and by an Android tablet and get robbed by Google.
Most people who buy Apple don't feel robbed. It's usually Windows fans who wonder why people like something else other than what they use who feel it's the ripoff.
The reason they don't feel robbed is because they're blinded by the love, I would call a $29 cable to connect to a USB a ripoff, I would call a cover for $79 a total ripoff, yet when Microsoft makes an actual keyboard cover for around the same price the world is up in arms. I would call their Apple Care plan illegal, and in most countries it is, the biggest ripoff on the planet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I don't know where you would get it from - regular chemist?
I buy it in the pharmacy in Germany for about 7 Euros a bottle which lasts us for a month for 2 people. The make is Aagaard Propolis mouth water. Not sure whether it is available in the UK. In the US they sell it in the health stores like GNC - but they have other makes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
, I would call their Apple Care plan illegal, and in most countries it is, the biggest ripoff on the planet.
Its an extended warranty, unsure what is illegal about that. And you can take it into a store and get it exchanged, that is very nice. Work paid around $250-$300 for a 3 year pro support warranty on my new dell laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
, I would call their Apple Care plan illegal, and in most countries it is, the biggest ripoff on the planet.
Its an extended warranty, unsure what is illegal about that. And you can take it into a store and get it exchanged, that is very nice. Work paid around $250-$300 for a 3 year pro support warranty on my new dell laptop.
It's not an extended warranty, the implication is that you need it now, when in actual fact it has a one or two year warranty depending on the country you live in.

It is a con job and they've been sued by a lot of Governments because of it.

You go and buy something from Apple and you'll see the pressure they put you under to get it.

Companies were doing the same thing in Australia years ago with Car Insurance, another ripoff.

Ask the Italian Government what they think of Apples Extended Warranty.

My Computer

System One

• OS
It's not an extended warranty, the implication is that you need it now, when in actual fact it has a one or two year warranty depending on the country you live in.

How is this not an EXTENDED warranty. Your device comes with a one year warranty, and up to 90 days of free phone tech support. If you desire a longer period of time, you buy an Apple Care Protection plan.

In almost all cases when I buy electronics, I'm provided with an option to add on additonal warranty support. In many cases, I have to pick this option at the time of purchase, rather than adding it on later.

I went into Best Buy a few weeks ago, and purchased a game for our Xbox360, a Kinect sensor for our 360 and a set of headphones. Best Buy offered me additional coverage on all 3 pieces. They even further explained how they had seen overheating issues on the Kinect sensor that the warranty would cover me for. And the headphones were cheap $10 kids headphones, and they wanted to sell me a $2.95 protection plan for them.

I still fail to see where Apple is doing anything that others are not also doing. it's almost standard procedure now. I'm surprised when I don't get an extended warranty option.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

How is this not an EXTENDED warranty. Your device comes with a one year warranty, and up to 90 days of free phone tech support. If you desire a longer period of time, you buy an Apple Care Protection plan.

In almost all cases when I buy electronics, I'm provided with an option to add on additonal warranty support. In many cases, I have to pick this option at the time of purchase, rather than adding it on later.

I went into Best Buy a few weeks ago, and purchased a game for our Xbox360, a Kinect sensor for our 360 and a set of headphones. Best Buy offered me additional coverage on all 3 pieces. They even further explained how they had seen overheating issues on the Kinect sensor that the warranty would cover me for. And the headphones were cheap $10 kids headphones, and they wanted to sell me a $2.95 protection plan for them.

I still fail to see where Apple is doing anything that others are not also doing. it's almost standard procedure now. I'm surprised when I don't get an extended warranty option.

All new items sold to a private individual within the EU are covered by the EU Sale of Goods Act directive which effectively is a 2 year warranty. That warranty applies irrespective as to what the manufacturer states on their warranty card/paperwork. I believe the fruit company got into trouble with the Italian authorities as they were trying to add applecare on top of a 1 year warranty whereas the item already had 2 years (whether Apple liked it or not).

The claim is made against the retailer and it is their responsibility to honour the warranty and then claim against the manufacturer themselves.

Should the retailer cease to exist then a claim can be made against the credit card company assuming you purchased via a credit card of course and the amount is in excess of GBP100 in the UK.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast

You go and buy something from Apple and you'll see the pressure they put you under to get it.

Companies were doing the same thing in Australia years ago with Car Insurance, another ripoff.

HI there
ALL EXTENDED Warranties are a rip-off -- Under most laws in the sort of countries represented on these Forums please note products have to be :
a) Fit for purpose when sold.
b) have generally at least a 12 or 24 month manufacturers warranty.

I almost cry when I see someone in a computer / retail store paying 40 USD for an extended warranty on a product that only costs 70 USD in the first place - especially on really cheap low end stuff typically like printers. Epson / HP etc have standard 2 year warranties on their printers anyway.

Mind you it's big business -- much as I like BMW cars -they really should set themselves up as a BANK --BMW makes more money from is FINANCE dept than it does from selling the cars themselves.

Never succumb to these salesman -- if they think you need an "Extended warranty" --simply ask them -- do you have so little faith in the goods you are selling that you expect them to BREAK almost as soon as you get them home.

In over 40 years of buying all sorts of kit I can probably count the number of failures I've had in the lifetime of the equipment on the fingers of ONE HAND. -- I've broken stuff --but that's been ME abusing the equipment or "experimenting with it" but general failures --almost never and certainly if there IS a failure it usually occurs quite quickly --within the original warranty period.

I think I'll post some fliers around these stores

"Beware of Extended Warranties --They could be seriously injurious to your WEALTH".

Stores make HUGE profits from these whereas the profit on selling even a 1,000 USD computer is quite small.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

HI there
ALL EXTENDED Warranties are a rip-off -- Under most laws in the sort of countries represented on these Forums please note products have to be :

I almost cry when I see someone in a computer / retail store paying 40 USD for an extended warranty on a product that only costs 70 USD in the first place - especially on really cheap low end stuff typically like printers. Epson / HP etc have standard 2 year warranties on their printers anyway.

Mind you it's big business -- much as I like BMW cars -they really should set themselves up as a BANK --BMW makes more money from is FINANCE dept than it does from selling the cars themselves.

Never succumb to these salesman -- if they think you need an "Extended warranty" --simply ask them -- do you have so little faith in the goods you are selling that you expect them to BREAK almost as soon as you get them home.

In over 40 years of buying all sorts of kit I can probably count the number of failures I've had in the lifetime of the equipment on the fingers of ONE HAND. -- I've broken stuff --but that's been ME abusing the equipment or "experimenting with it" but general failures --almost never and certainly if there IS a failure it usually occurs quite quickly --within the original warranty period.

I think I'll post some fliers around these stores

"Beware of Extended Warranties --They could be seriously injurious to your WEALTH".

Stores make HUGE profits from these whereas the profit on selling even a 1,000 USD computer is quite small.

Cheers
jimbo

I used to completely agree with this. That is until I had kids that like to use electronic devices. I murder companies on the warranties now, which I never bought before. I have been through 5 kindle Fires between 2 kids (Left out in rain, thrown at each other, dropped, etc). Payed 35 bucs a piece for the warranty. I wont even mention the video cameras we have gone through.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
HI there

I take extended warranties on a case by case basis. My general inclination is to NOT buy them, however I cannot lump them all into the rip off category.

For example, my wife and I bought a refrigerator a few years back. It was about $1,800 and the extended warranty for 4 years beyond the mfg's 1 year warranty was about $170. During the first year of ownership, nothing went wrong. During the second through 6th year 1). icemaker broke. 2). control board when bad and defrost cycles were nearly thawing the freezer 3). fan went out 4). hinge broke on the door and required a door to be replaced. Those 4 repairs were covered under warranty at 100%, but totaled almost $1,200. Extended warranty paid off big time here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
We bought an extended warranty when we bought my wife's 2010 Dodge Nitro. I won't typically for cars, but the newer ones are beyond my skill set, I'm more a classic car guy, I am more a shade tree mechanic. Give me mechanical to fix, not electronic on a car and I am quite comfortable. The big reason we paid for it was that it extended the bumper to bumper (everything except tires, glass, belts and fluids) all the way out to when we finish paying for it and a little beyond. It has paid for itself already with the air damper door motor going out, and the transmission radiator blowing the core (won't even explain that one, it was all me LOL) any way, not all extended warranties are a rip off. I agree with pparks here, case by case on something like that...

Geeve

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot: Back to W7 and Ubuntu 12.04
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Dimension E521
    CPU
    AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    M-Audio Mobile Pre USB External
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 1916W
    Screen Resolution
    1440X900
    Hard Drives
    250 GB internal main, 500 GB internal backup, 1TB External
    PSU
    300 Watt (Dell stock)
    Case
    Dell Stock
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    Dell
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    MSE/Defender or whatever it's called now
    Other Info
    Acer aspire One D255, Windows 8.1.1 Pro, 2GB Ram, Intel Atom N450 1.6Ghz
@pp,

It is different here, I guess we are lucky.

Those kind of items are reasonably expected to last at least 5 years. In practice, a proportionate refund - e.g. after 3yrs - 2/5 of your purchase price. Usually, they will just fix it for you .

There is also an interesting thing - Distance selling regulations,. Basics are, you don't have to give a reason - you can return it unused - let them know within 7 working days - post back at your own expense for a full refund.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

All new items sold to a private individual within the EU are covered by the EU Sale of Goods Act directive which effectively is a 2 year warranty. That warranty applies irrespective as to what the manufacturer states on their warranty card/paperwork. I believe the fruit company got into trouble with the Italian authorities as they were trying to add applecare on top of a 1 year warranty whereas the item already had 2 years (whether Apple liked it or not).

The claim is made against the retailer and it is their responsibility to honour the warranty and then claim against the manufacturer themselves.

Should the retailer cease to exist then a claim can be made against the credit card company assuming you purchased via a credit card of course and the amount is in excess of GBP100 in the UK.

So if an iPhone goes wrong after 18 months Apple have to repair it free of charge even thought it states the warranty is 12 months in the handbook?

Cheers

Tony

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built System
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66Ghz, Overclocked to 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5
    Memory
    8GB XMS2 4GB DDR2 PC2-8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte 660GTX 2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SMS27B970D
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1xSAMSUNG SSD 840 Pro Series Basic 2.5" - 512 GB - Boot drive
    2xSamsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
    PSU
    Corsair 520HX
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700NT
    Internet Speed
    12Mb/s
    Other Info
    I did a fresh format and install of Windows 8 64 Bit Pro. Sorry but I couldn't live without a start button so I have installed the Start8 start menu which is great. I try sometimes not to use it but find metro frustrating to find programs as I have many. I will use Metro for apps only and desktop of serious computing.
Australia has new consumer laws where warranties must meet 'reasonable' expectations of use:

How long do consumers’ statutory rights apply?

Statutory rights are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item.

This means a consumer may be entitled to a remedy under their statutory rights after any manufacturer’s voluntary or extended warranty has expired.

For example, it is reasonable to expect that an expensive television should not develop a serious fault after 13 months of normal use. In this case, the consumer could argue the item was not of
merchantable quality and ask for it to be repaired, even if the manufacturer’s voluntary warranty had expired.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Back