Windows 8 Pro price slashed..........

When I had Windows 8 on my tablet, I tried showing it to everyone and no one was interested. When it comes to tablets, all they were interested in were iPads and Androids. These people just don't know anything.
I'll say it again, why are people lining up for the Surface Pro. As an infamous person once said, You're holding it wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Other than Bill, has anyone seen people line up for the Surface Pro. Where are they lining up? Certainly not Australia and many other parts of the world, as it's not even available. I have seen people line up at Aldi to buy their Android tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Other than Bill, has anyone seen people line up for the Surface Pro. Where are they lining up? Certainly not Australia and many other parts of the world, as it's not even available. I have seen people line up at Aldi to buy their Android tablets.
What is it with you Ray, you've just got to be right or what, you've got to win because you made some weird prediction. I don't know what Microsoft ever did to you but it's got to be bad.
Listen seeing you've uninstalled Windows 8 I'll send you my Post Office box number I'll take the piece of crap of your hands, I know how much you despise it.

Have you heard of Google or Bing, type in Surface Pro line ups, and then hit images, I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about

My Computer

System One

• OS

What is it with you Ray, you've just got to be right or what, you've got to win because you made some weird prediction. I don't know what Microsoft ever did to you but it's got to be bad.

Listen seeing you've uninstalled Windows 8 I'll send you my Post Office box number I'll take the piece of crap of your hands, I know how much you despise it.

Have you heard of Google or Bing, type in Surface Pro line ups, and then hit images, I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about

I'm trying to respond to a somewhat confusing and fragmented post, however.

I merely asked a question based on your personal observation. You being in Australia, me being in Australia and both of us well aware that the Surface Pro is not available for sale in Australia, it begs the question as to where these people are lining up to buy the Surface Pro. Is that an unreasonable question?

As for weird predictions, what might they be? And why do you get the idea that Microsoft has done anything to me personally, that's weird. People criticise products every day over one issue or another, yet overall find their functionality satisfactory. I've been a Microsoft user for over 30 years and, unlike you, don't own anything Apple/Android, as I'm quite happy with Microsoft products.

Also, if you'd been more observant with you reading, you would have comprehended that I've only removed Windows 8 from my tablet, not my PC. And the only thing I despise about Windows 8 is the MPI, as do many others.

OK, I just Googled 'surface pro line ups' as you suggested and got this:

Motorama-Group.jpg

surface-pro-ad.png

surface-pro-ad.jpg

surface-2012-05-07-620-11.jpg

So then I tried 'surface pro lineups':

Surface-Pro-available-again.jpeg

surface-4.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-02-11-at-2.17.32-PM.png

Then I tired Bing:

SurfaceProNetwork1.jpg

Surface+pro+the+Real+Tablet..png

Bills.jpg

witheringsurface_08-04.jpg

I'm not sure if the last two have anything to do with the Surface Pro. But who knows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

The only true lineup for a Surface Pro exists on their website with all those people in the queue waiting to receive theirs. If someone buys one now, they should receive it by the 12th :cool:.

They seem to be about a week backlogged between order and delivery. But i do know their number was dead on (March 1st, actually Feb 28th), for when they said I would recieve mine, so its not just a bs date.

People are going rightfully nuts over this thing and the things it can do. Neither Apple or Google has anything remotely like it. I'm *really* interested in seeing what the hard numbers are, especially in concert with what Samsung and Lenovo are able to push with their variants across all spectrums(low, mid, high-end).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Hi there
The ONE place where I've actually SEEN the surface pro (All 6 of them) they sold out in 10 mins --so SOMEBODY is buying them -- apart from the keyboard and intitial price I'd be tempted too -- looks also a VERY NICE PIECE OF KIT.

My objection agains the current surface pro is the standard SSD is too small -- I'd want a standard 256 GB one --they are cheap enough these days - but changing the HDD on a Surface isn't that easy -- and I'm an Engineer by trade so if I've found it almost impossible I guarantee "Joe Bloggs" out there will probably BREAK the device trying to swap the drive.

When these devices can be "sourced" more cheaply -- and they will be as production and availability improves -- I'll certainly be interested.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
They keep the supply low and the prices high. Old marketing trick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
It might help to keep the oems from revolting, they have been taking a hit.

Probably the only way is for MS to turn it around with Blue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Looks like it was a pricing error - the original story from the link on Post 1 has been replaced with a story about a pricing error, and the price is back up to £190 from the Microsoft store.

But with boxed versions still less than £50 from Amazon/ PC World etc. , why would you buy it from Microsoft for 4 times the price?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
It seems that M$ is cutting prices to OEM. The backlash is taking effect.

Microsoft pulls last lever, discounts Windows 8 to OEMs to spark sales - Computerworld

What backlash?! What exactly is that suppose to mean?

Has anyone noticed that the world economy is in a big slump? They call it a recession here in the U.S. A depression for the housing sector and some others relating. All in all, not looking good.

I look at this as being an intersection of a bad economy and a change in technology. It seems the market is demanding touch. MS has developed 8 to meet that demand. They introduced the Surfaces also to meet that demand and I suppose to diversify. Nothing wrong with that, especially in this economy. They didn't introduce them to piddle OEMs off. If anything they created some competition, which in the end is good for consumers on lower pricing.

If MS is guilty of anything it's that they got the Surfaces out too late. Do we not see them with a plan working along with OEMs to try and boost sales? Sales of certain devices to be exact. A certain market that iFruit and others seem to be winning at. I look at it to be a shrewd business move of which Gates has always been good at. That's what made him a multi billionaire. Jobs had a knack for this as well. So did/do others.

All this talk of 8 (and the Surfaces) not selling as fast as past OSs. I'd like to see how 8 would've fared in the 2009 economy that 7 had the pleasure of. Yes, it is quite different and consumers are reluctant. You can sure as hell blame that on bad press. Numbskulls I say.

Make no mistake. MS is in this for the long haul. They will persist. Hopefully we'll climb out of this economic slump.

Microsoft was slashing the price of a combo deal for Windows 8 and Office 2013 to $30 from around $120. The discount applies to OEMs for PCs and other devices with touch screens smaller than 10.8 inches,said the publication.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I don't know about Ray and Bill, but I'm in OZ too, and I've seen very little advertising for either Windows 8 OR the Surface.

And there have been no 'tech segments' on TV promoting it, either.

Unlike their constant Apple promos. Or the way they almost came when Win 95 was released.

Actually, there's been hardly any MS advertising/promotion in Aus since Win XP!!

Wenda.

*EDIT: -Most ppl I speak to have no idea about it, and just repeat the old FUD about not being able
to use it with a mouse, or not being able to run their old programs/open many programs at once.

Misinformation is rife,

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I received my Surface Pro 128GB that was ordered from the Microsoft store on 2/21/13.

I was secretly devastated when I clicked it in, a good 10 times and not a single person in my office broke out in dance.
20130306_111926_zps09acf1c7.jpg

Thus far the biggest response has been
1). What is the Surface? People honestly didn't know anything about the Surface RT or the Surface Pro
2). How much does something like that cost? When I say $1,200, they say, "um, yeah, I'll pass"

Hardly anybody has come by to play and mess around with it. It's on the shared area by my work desk for people to walk by and play with.

Thus far, they are more interested in the 23" Acer All in One Aspire 5600U that is sitting there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Lol! No one broke into a big dance, hah? :D

Are you going to install one of them there Start Menus on this machine?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I don't know about Ray and Bill, but I'm in OZ too, and I've seen very little advertising for either Windows 8 OR the Surface.

Unlike their constant Apple promos. Or the way they almost came when Win 95 was released.

Actually, there's been hardly any MS advertising/promotion in Aus since Win XP!!

Wenda.

I've seen quite a few good surface ads on TV recently. Buncha office folks banging on the desk and spinning in circles. Rythmic, mesmorizing beat. . .

Must buy surface O_O
Windows 8 is the best operat. . .

*blink* Hey! What just happened?

Here's the commercial: Microsoft Surface Pro Commercial - YouTube

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
Hmmmm. Not a bad ad, Phil.

Haven't seen it here yet.

There was one for the Surface RT, but didn't see it often, and not at all for some time....

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I'm not sure what market is demanding touch. Touch has been around for years with smartphones, handheld and fixed Windows CE devices, point of sale devices etc. It's been implemented where it best suits the application.

In fact, now I know where Microsoft got the idea for the MPI for the desktop:

73881touchkey1.jpg

POS_Touch1.jpg

They simply copied a point of sale device screen, which simplifies the process of finding the products that have been purchased, and dumbed down the entire Windows interface. It was effectively designed by pub and Macca's employees.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm not sure what market is demanding touch. Touch has been around for years with smartphones, handheld and fixed Windows CE devices, point of sale devices etc. It's been implemented where it best suits the application.

View attachment 17838

View attachment 17839

They simply copied a point of sale device screen, which simplifies the process of finding the products that have been purchased, and dumbed down the entire Windows interface. It was effectively designed by pub and Macca's employees.

I think you're on to something here.

a1.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.

Wenda.

I've seen quite a few good surface ads on TV recently. Buncha office folks banging on the desk and spinning in circles. Rythmic, mesmorizing beat. . .

Must buy surface O_O
Windows 8 is the best operat. . .

*blink* Hey! What just happened?

Here's the commercial: Microsoft Surface Pro Commercial - YouTube
Yeah I've seen the ad, quite catchy actually, certainly different.

My Computer

System One

• OS

View attachment 17838

View attachment 17839

Its been dumbed down, yet the dummies claim it's too hard and confusing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back