Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

if you do [remove yourself from the thread], you may miss the one thing that will solve the problem for you.
Linux? ;) jk

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7/960 3.2GHz Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3 1600 triple channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce (nVidia) GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    300GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    600GB Intel SSD 320 series;
    2TB RAID 0 array on an LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i card using 1TB Hitachi SATA drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 690
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech M500 black laser
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
I have found a hidden task by the name of CreateObjectTask located in the task scheduler in the Shell folder. The task is set to not start a new instance if already running but I have seen up to 15 processes running at the same time and it seems to fail on my PC and laptop. I disabled the task and the PC was able to sleep over night.

If the PC is able to sleep tonight without a need to restart then I think I can narrow it down the sleep problem to this task. I will let you know the outcome.

CreateObjectTask - Provides support for shell components that access system data

I hope that the trick always works for you.
I've tested to deactivate the task but without success, my PC refuses to sleep after few hours :-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
On my Win 8.1 system auto sleep works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.
I figured out it is when I turn on my other PC with Win 7, that is when the 8.1 auto sleep doesn't work.
8.1 shows a powercfg request from a remote client.
I added a Request Override, but that doesn't work with Win 8.1 auto sleep.

I set Windows auto sleep to 30 minutes.
I set Standby Helper sleep to 45 minutes.

Standby Helper puts the PC to sleep when Windows Auto sleep doesn't work because of the request.

If the Win 7 PC is turned off, after a few hours the Request in Win 8.1 "disappears".
Then Win 8.1 auto sleep works again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Multi-Boot-PCs W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Abit nf-m2-nview
    Memory
    4GB ddr2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 4670
    Sound Card
    on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32"
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 250 GB, Samsung 1TB Sata, many others
    Keyboard
    Dell USB wired
    Mouse
    V7 USB wired
    Internet Speed
    Uverse 12D/1.5U
    Browser
    PaleMoon, Firefox, IE
    Antivirus
    Panda or Avast or Avira + MBAM Premium
I have found a hidden task by the name of CreateObjectTask located in the task scheduler in the Shell folder. The task is set to not start a new instance if already running but I have seen up to 15 processes running at the same time and it seems to fail on my PC and laptop. I disabled the task and the PC was able to sleep over night.

If the PC is able to sleep tonight without a need to restart then I think I can narrow it down the sleep problem to this task. I will let you know the outcome.

CreateObjectTask - Provides support for shell components that access system data

I hope that the trick always works for you.
I've tested to deactivate the task but without success, my PC refuses to sleep after few hours :-(

Thanks for testing that! :thumb:

That puts a crimp in that. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
No one knows if the task "Idle Maintenance", which shows as being run many times in a 24 hours period on my non sleeping PC, could be the cause? Does anyone else see this task?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I figured out it is when I turn on my other PC with Win 7, that is when the 8.1 auto sleep doesn't work.
almost sounds like they might be networked or file sharing issue between the 2 computer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
No one knows if the task "Idle Maintenance", which shows as being run many times in a 24 hours period on my non sleeping PC, could be the cause? Does anyone else see this task?

Maintenance was my theory many months ago. The logs aren't detailed enough in my case to prove it definitively. The logs in windows 8 are really a joke.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
I'm posting from my phone, so I didn't have my shortcut to this thread. To find the thread I Googled "Windows 8.1 won't sleep" for the first time in a very long time. (I usually just check out this thread only.) OH MY GOSH. The Web is more littered now with posts on this subject than I could've imagined! This is truly a huge issue... I now REALLY can't believe MS hasn't fixed it!

My computer has now been sleeping reliably for nearly a week after switching to a local account. There were two times I thought it hadn't. The first time it turned out I had stayed logged into the MS account, and today it turned out that my server woke the computer up (using WOL as I've set it to do) so my computer can do it's monthly defrag in between backup sets. The reason I'm posting from my phone now is so I can make sure the computer goes back to sleep two hours after the defrag process as it should.

It is so nice to have the computer sleeping on schedule again! I'm not sure why it matters so much to me - I used to just leave my computer on all the time - but it does. It goes into hybrid sleep so I don't lose data but I can still wake it up remotely. And my server wakes it up for weekly backups (and apparently for the monthly defrag operation) as it should, but then the computer sleeps again after its set two hour time period. Woot! Too bad the MS account thing didn't work for me. :( Oh, and before anyone asks, I did not try the program others in this thread have reported works well to force the computer to sleep - perhaps I should have. I was just concerned it wouldn't work as well as OS sleep works, WHEN it works that is. You know, keeping the computer awake when a movie is on, or when a backup is running, when watching a movie, using RDP, an open connection I don't want severed - that sort of a thing.

This was brought up quite a bit ago. I did some extensive testing on this together with some other processes purported to possibly cause sleeplessness and posted my results in this thread along with how I disabled one of the processes in question by deleting files. None of it solved the problem.

EDIT:
The computer did indeed sleep two hours (as scheduled) after the defrag. Woohoo!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    WinXP-32 as a "server" maintaining my household phone system and running Ubuntu Linux as a web server in VMware Workstation. Another copy of Ubuntu running on hardware serving being used for NAS to store imaging backups. And a slow horrid WD MyBook World Edition II NAS device.
I was reading this thread:
http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/47765-graphics-driver-radeon-hd-8670m-problems.html

and I got here.

I ask for help because I'm going crazy, I have a problem that I do not know how to solve:
I have a problem with my HP 15 - n086sl .
With native Windows 8 did not.

the problem is the following :
moving from windows 8 to 8.1 I lose the switch graphics cards.
I mean : if I click with the mouse on "configure switchable graphics cards " I get out of a window that says " Unable to start Catalyst Control Center. currently there are no other settings to configure with CCC"
I tried to update the drivers with the ones on the HP site for windows 8.1 , but nothing changes .
From " Device Manager " I noticed that the drivers you have installed AUTOMATIC moving from windows 8 to 8.1 are the same version as on the hp website .

If I install the drivers from the AMD website I have the following problems :

the switch returns to work but hibernation no longer works and if the screen of the PC goes into standby by moving the mouse or pressing both buttons it never recovers . I have to turn off the computer by holding down the button.

I've done several searches for the web, even within the forum but have not found the solution.

Will you help me ?

Sorry for my English.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Hello, Fix. Welcome to Windows Eight Forums.

Not sure where AMD comes in, but recommend you contact HP support for a solution. It definitely sounds as though improper drivers are causing the problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I'm posting from my phone, so I didn't have my shortcut to this thread. To find the thread I Googled "Windows 8.1 won't sleep" for the first time in a very long time. (I usually just check out this thread only.) OH MY GOSH. The Web is more littered now with posts on this subject than I could've imagined! This is truly a huge issue... I now REALLY can't believe MS hasn't fixed it!

My computer has now been sleeping reliably for nearly a week after switching to a local account. There were two times I thought it hadn't. The first time it turned out I had stayed logged into the MS account, and today it turned out that my server woke the computer up (using WOL as I've set it to do) so my computer can do it's monthly defrag in between backup sets. The reason I'm posting from my phone now is so I can make sure the computer goes back to sleep two hours after the defrag process as it should.

It is so nice to have the computer sleeping on schedule again! I'm not sure why it matters so much to me - I used to just leave my computer on all the time - but it does. It goes into hybrid sleep so I don't lose data but I can still wake it up remotely. And my server wakes it up for weekly backups (and apparently for the monthly defrag operation) as it should, but then the computer sleeps again after its set two hour time period. Woot! Too bad the MS account thing didn't work for me. :( Oh, and before anyone asks, I did not try the program others in this thread have reported works well to force the computer to sleep - perhaps I should have. I was just concerned it wouldn't work as well as OS sleep works, WHEN it works that is. You know, keeping the computer awake when a movie is on, or when a backup is running, when watching a movie, using RDP, an open connection I don't want severed - that sort of a thing.

This was brought up quite a bit ago. I did some extensive testing on this together with some other processes purported to possibly cause sleeplessness and posted my results in this thread along with how I disabled one of the processes in question by deleting files. None of it solved the problem.

EDIT:
The computer did indeed sleep two hours (as scheduled) after the defrag. Woohoo!

maybe there are to many causes and Microsoft doesn't know how to fix it ,lol
if they do find a fix I hope it doesn't break mine lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
Hello, Fix. Welcome to Windows Eight Forums.

Not sure where AMD comes in, but recommend you contact HP support for a solution. It definitely sounds as though improper drivers are causing the problem.

Being Italian myself, support hp (already contacted months ago) sent me back to the forum English (official), because in Italy there is a service center hp :(. ( *ttp://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/HP-15-n086sl-problems-with-windows-and-drivers-amd/td-p/3971436 )

But if I did a donwgrade in windows 7 or an upgrade to windows 9 (when it comes out) do you think would solve the problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Being Italian myself, support hp (already contacted months ago) sent me back to the forum English (official), because in Italy there is a service center hp :(. ( *ttp://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/HP-15-n086sl-problems-with-windows-and-drivers-amd/td-p/3971436 )

But if I did a donwgrade in windows 7 or an upgrade to windows 9 (when it comes out) do you think would solve the problem?

It’s not proper forum etiquette to what we call hijack a thread with another type of problem. You have a driver problem that is seriously affecting your computer.

Please copy and paste everything in your first post here into a new thread post here: Graphic Cards - Windows 8 Forums so to get better exposure for you particular problem.

To start a new thread push the +Post New Thread button at the top left and follow instructions.

New Thread Button Snip.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
While very possible, I tend to think they haven't bothered to even try - but those are just my personal feelings. I CERTAINLY wouldn't want them to step up to the plate and acknowledge a problem and report they are doing what they can. I mean, that'd be pure silliness, right? Perhaps they could start with acknowledgements by admitting to their errors with this garbage heap they call Win8, the successor to Vista. heh While they had some interesting ideas - I don't even mind the new "start screen" - I just don't think the OS was ready for prime time.

Sorry, that was kind of a rant. I promise to do better! As far as breaking yours, I'd be ok with that so long as mine was fixed! ;) Jk, they'd better not go breaking yours!

Quick update: My computer is still sleeping every two hours, as set, since I started using this local account. I think my testing has indicated the local account has solved my problem. Therefore, I won't be updating anymore to indicate my problem is solved. If the problem rears its ugly head again I'll report back. I will continue to monitor (and post if applicable) this thread though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1-64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 750W CMPSU-750HX
    Case
    Cooling
    Air/fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    58/12
    Browser
    IE11 (64 bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
While very possible, I tend to think they haven't bothered to even try - but those are just my personal feelings. I CERTAINLY wouldn't want them to step up to the plate and acknowledge a problem and report they are doing what they can. I mean, that'd be pure silliness, right? Perhaps they could start with acknowledgements by admitting to their errors with this garbage heap they call Win8, the successor to Vista. heh While they had some interesting ideas - I don't even mind the new "start screen" - I just don't think the OS was ready for prime time.

Sorry, that was kind of a rant. I promise to do better! As far as breaking yours, I'd be ok with that so long as mine was fixed! ;) Jk, they'd better not go breaking yours!

Quick update: My computer is still sleeping every two hours, as set, since I started using this local account. I think my testing has indicated the local account has solved my problem. Therefore, I won't be updating anymore to indicate my problem is solved. If the problem rears its ugly head again I'll report back. I will continue to monitor (and post if applicable) this thread though.

Very nicely stated. I agree with every word.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
i agree with most of it ,but i liked win8 and win8.1 ever more ,i really like the use of my ms acct and how it just auto sets my profile and favorites on all my installs,and it does everything i want it to do,even sleep as set and stays asleep

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
LOL, not to get too side tracked, but yesterday a critical tree from my onedrive mysteriously disappeared. It managed to also take the locally stored copies with it and also deleted all this from another pc that was also subscribed to the same data. No recycle copies anywhere. Fortunately I was also using crashplan or I would have literally been out of business.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
You highlight a real problem with all this synchronisation. Delete something by mistake.....too bad. Or, in your case, MS deiete something!!

Sync scares me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    CPU
    I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8H77-M Pro
    Memory
    8GB
Last week, for the first time since a long time, I've experienced that sleep issue (nothing with powercfg /requests). It's bizarre and it seemed to be related to Chrome. Once I've closed Chrome, my PC went to sleep.... I'm totally clueless about that, it never happened before. I know that Chrome had background process, maybe it was one of them the culprit. I deactivated "let Chrome run in background" when you close the navigator. I'm curious: what navigator do you use guys?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
Back