Solved Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

Hello, this is my first post here.

I stumbled upon this post while searching for many issues I encountered.

My main issue is that I can't boot to Windows it attempts to start loading and then it shows me the BSOD. This happens a couple times then takes me to the windows 8 repair. It attempts to auto repair, but fails and in the text file it says to check on why it failed says OS Mismatch.

I attempt to refresh and it says the drive is locked.
If I attempt to reset it says the partition that is required is no longer there or something similar. It's the same issue others are having in this thread.

I still have my recovery partition and restore partition that originally came with the laptop and both have the WIM files. Although I didn't make a backup and wish I made a backup right when I got the laptop before I upgraded to 8.1.

I would like to use the tool provided by SWI2, however I can't boot to Windows. It seems like everyone is running his files from within Windows. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I think I can still recover using the WIM files some how right?

Please let me know if you need any additional information to assist.

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04
What bit version are you using?

Is it pro , core, or core single language?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
similar problem

The recovery environment works from within Windows so it seems ok,
now a new problem:
when i press f9 i got a BSOD with error 0xc0000225.
the only way to restore the boot is to boot with the recovery usb and give bootrec /rebuildbcd.

Now i decided to delete all the recovery partitions and live with acronis images

How can i disable the F9 at this point? i want to get rid of all the WINRE functions....

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 / 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus N550JV
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04
Thanks Everyone for your help and Support... The issue has been resolved

A big thanks to SIW2... Hats off to you

what i did is

1. Download the tool (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ophotsq6fjrbzl/REv16.zip)
2. Run the code Follow the instructions and make a bootable USB.
3. Reboot the System via USB.
4. From the menu, select
GimageX
5. Goto Apply Tab
6. Selected the .wim file in Source and C drive in destination.
7. Click Apply and Done. :)

Then it enabled me to reset my computer to factory settings from F9 menu without any error.

My suggestion to the new guys reading this post is Don't lose hope its is nothing keep on reading the instructions and the posts again and again and eventually you will learn how to do it. In the start i was confused too and didn't know what to do but i kept on trying this is my 4th day and i have succeed.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
OHhhh myyyy........this is the "toughiest" formatting yet I've ever performed!!!
The first pre-installed Win 8 (8.1 to be exact) OS on Asus Laptop.

Thank you all so much for all the info (the tools, the reporting of failure even) although I gotta read and read again and again trying to figure each minute details of what I have not done...or done wrong.
The very next best thing was that I read so much even from other forums that I've mixed all sort of methods there is.
I was lucky nothing was messed up.

And you know what, the last thing i did was just as simple as making both recovery and restore drives appear (unhide) and assigning drive letters after creating the boot files in usb.

I was having trouble figuring out how to squeeze the .wim files into 4gb fat32 usb...it got booted but, really nothing works at all!!!
I had none whatsoever technical background like most of the guys out there.

Darnn...i almost killed someone - lack of sleep too.
Had only biscuits and coffee for bfast and lunch and now its dinner time i havent had a thing.
Adios guys...u're the best

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
I followed this thread for similar problems, since my start of using win8.
I used to have full control over my hdd and i like partitioning it.So when i discovered all those recovery partitions, system partitions, and i repartitioned my hdd the recovery environment screwd up.
I tried to restore it, but i ended saving my C: status with acronis,
deleting all the recovery partitions (after imaging those with acronis for any future use)
so now i have
system partition
c: win 8.1
all my other partitions

My problem now is that if i pres f9 for ASUS accessing winre it brakes the bcd and boot, so i have to do this:
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Of course i don't press f9, but i wanted to understand how it happens? where is this settings stored? how can i disable it?
Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 / 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus N550JV
After many many days of head cracking. I finally able to solve the problem with the installation.
Specially thanks to SIW2 and also other posters that commented. What I encounter was my Asus S550CM is not able to find my image when I wanted to restore through F9.

What I did:
- Copy the recovery image(install.wim) to an external HDD
- Extract SIW2's Rev16(to create WinPE)
- Run GEEK Mode to select which OS you're running
- After that RUN AS ADMIN on the Run-me-as-Adminv16 script
- After complete Click on Rufus to create a boot usb(make sure your usb is empty)
- boot into winPE
- GOTO cmd-diskpart-list disk-select disk-clean(this will wipe your whole HDD so make sure you backup the needed especially the image file found in recovery drive)
- make a 300mb partition(for system) and another primary partition(your choice as your C drive)
- use GImageX on apply tab. Source select the copied install.wim. Destination select your primary drive for your windows to install
- after complete, goto cmd and type (your windows drive):\windows\system32\bcdboot (your windows drive):\windows /s (your 300mb system drive) eg: C:\windows\system32\bcdboot c:\ /s G:
- a message will prompt success. (if it prompts incompatible windows, means your install.wim and your winPE you build is different). Means WinPE x86 = Windows 8 x86
winPE x64 cannot initiate bcdboot for Windows 8 x86

Thats all. after bcd boot initiation success then you can restart your PC and wallah!

Thanks again all that commented!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 7 X64 & WINDOWS 8 X64
please can someone help me , i ve read all of the comments , everyone has "install.wim" i don t have it , so what can i do? i want to restore windows but i can t this is what i get "could not find the recovery environment" also when i type reagentc/info this is what i get https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6syze1gnh9xkny/rea.PNG?dl=0 oh and the recovery folder only contains "ReAgent.xml" and "Reafent_Merged.xml1" that s it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Ok I lost
I read all of the thread but somehow can't grasp it.
I'm trying to restore/reset Asus s550c it was orginal Windows 8 and then upgraded to 8.1
When i try to restore/reset it shows required partition is missing. By now i know it's common
I manage to copy install.wim (10.3 GB) and boot.wim (223 MB) to other drive
I have my cd key
result from diskpart and reagentc /info look , disk managment
1.pngReAgen.png2.png
So what should i do now?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Thanks Everyone for your help and Support... The issue has been resolved

A big thanks to SIW2... Hats off to you

what i did is

1. Download the tool (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ophotsq6fjrbzl/REv16.zip)
2. Run the code Follow the instructions and make a bootable USB.
3. Reboot the System via USB.
4. From the menu, select
GimageX
5. Goto Apply Tab
6. Selected the .wim file in Source and C drive in destination.
7. Click Apply and Done. :)

Then it enabled me to reset my computer to factory settings from F9 menu without any error.

My suggestion to the new guys reading this post is Don't lose hope its is nothing keep on reading the instructions and the posts again and again and eventually you will learn how to do it. In the start i was confused too and didn't know what to do but i kept on trying this is my 4th day and i have succeed.

If you've got your install.wim file, follow the above instructions, I was amazed how easy it was. After this I was able to do reset to factory using F9.

Word of warning though, after I did it, I could NOT validate windows, so I ended up having to take it into Asus to get the drive re-flashed back to original anyhow. I don't know if it was just me or not, I was playing about alot with the disk management so I may have messed something up along the way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
easy way to solv this problem

hi all
i had same problem after update to win 8.1.
after reading this post (which was very usful),i went to asus web site and find solution for this:
pogram cald "Backtracker" fron Asus that will let you to acssec and backup and restor from the recovery partition
even after update to win 8.1. heare is the link to the program:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

i used it to recover my computer and worked perfect and very simpel to use.

i hoop it will help all

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    asus x450la

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS Vivobook X200CA
    CPU
    Intel Celeron CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Sound Card
    SoundMaster
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (with HDMI/VGA Output)
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    OS (C:) = 185GB
    DATA (D:) = 258GB
    Keyboard
    Built - In
    Mouse
    Trackpad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    McAfee (Preinstalled)/AVG 2014
Can you please help me?

when i run GEEK i get this and cant do anything from there
http://puu.sh/bgZfY/c9f33bafb4.png

and when i run the other CMD as admin, it found the winRE.wim but afterwards i get a hell lot of errors:
http://puu.sh/bgZNn/63879d863c.png

Any idea whats wrong? I've already downloaded those partition programs etc mentioned in prev posts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back