Solved Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

The reagentc is working because it is pointing to the Windows 8 Recovery Tools Partition (2) and not the Windows 8.1 Recovery Tools (5).

Some folks seem to be able to just reset the Recovery partition GUID and it works. When I did my testing, that did not work and I had to change the partition to a Primary GUID, reboot and then change it back to the Recovery GUID. I even had one system which would not change until I did the operation through another install or even bootable media.

These types of operations go much faster when you use the up arrow key to backup to a prior command in the command window.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
View attachment 52345

got this fixed... but still no luck. " some files are missing "still the same problem..

Note: How do you fix the error message: "Could not find the recovery environment", if the ID for the recovery partition type is incorrectly set to OEM? -> link

View attachment 52349

done! :)
1.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
sorry if im not doing good... im just not that good at this stuff. xD
and my laptop is pre installed with windows 8 btw.. i want to reset it.
Sooo first problem was...
Cannot find recovery environment..
i did things in this forum. and also replace the reagent.xml and still the same problem.
Then i did this.. http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53334-could-not-find-recovery-environment-2.html
now when i reset it says " files are missing ... "

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
Some ASUS folks have had some luck with the ASUS Backtracker utility you can download from their site.

And it isn't your fault the problems arose. Even if you had not used EaseUS, you still would not have been able to Reset.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
Some ASUS folks have had some luck with the ASUS Backtracker utility you can download from their site.

And it isn't your fault the problems arose. Even if you had not used EaseUS, you still would not have been able to Reset.

i actually used easeus.. O.O
aaand.. i dont have a USB stick.. >.< man this sucks
but imma try my external HDD..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
Hello, I am having the same problem of not being able to Refresh/Reset using the Recovery. You can refer to my attached image for the partitions.

Need help here badly. Thanks in advance!

partition.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Need Urgent Help

d/l this:

slightly different versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd2jecmia3s0x00/RE64v7i.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzaxya9kuip47xk/RE86v7i.zip

extract like this:

View attachment 35428

you will have this:

View attachment 35424

put your 8.0 winre here:

View attachment 35425

Run as admin on cmd file:

View attachment 35426

It will ask if you want to d/l recuva to be included. Up to you.

It also asks if you want to make an iso. Up to you.

After it has finished ( about 2 mins) you will see a folder called iso.

Copy all the folders from inside that (not the iso folder itself - all the folders from inside it ) onto your fat32 formatted flash drive.

View attachment 35427

Then copy your install.wim, or install.swm files into the sources folder on the flash drive.

That's it.

Boot it up and you will get a menu. To install from .swm files, click the SWMINSTALL button on the menu. Browse to the Install.swm file. You will want to select the image called Push Button Reset or similar, it is probably image 2.

Hey, I'm back and I'm happy to say the problem is resolved :D

I used your tool and it worked great, until I selected my install.wim file. It said that the file contained multiple recovery images (or something similar) and it gave me the option to choose from a list of about 4 images. I didn't know which one to choose so I decided to come back to the forums to ask. And then I saw the post ariftwister made. EaseUS had set the type of my recovery partitions from Recovery to OEM, and so Windows had trouble finding them (since it was looking for a Recovery partition).

So I did the following to fix it:
- Open CMD
- Type diskpart
- Type list disk
- Select the disk with the recovery partition, using select disk # (mine was select disk 0)
- Type list partition
- Select the recovery partition, using select partition # (mine was select partition 6). The partition has OEM listed as its type.
- Then I used set id=27 to set the id to that of Recovery, but since my drive was GPT and not MBR, it didn't work.
- So, I did some Googling and found that for a GPT disk I had to use set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC
- So I did set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC
- It succeeded, so I again typed list partition and it was now listed as Recovery!
- Rebooted into the Recovery Environment, and it detected my Restore partition and allowed me to reset.

I couldn't be happier :)
And also thanks to everyone for the help, and even though I didn't fully use your tool SIW, I'm sure it can help others a lot, and I really appreciate you making it.

I'm going to restore now, and if it succeeds I'll come back here and mark this thread as solved.

Hello community

I need your help to try to understand what is going on here, i read all this thread, but everybody has it´s own opinion, so i follow the procedures of this 2 posts

the thing is that none have worked, the SIW2 method doesn´t take me anywhere, because it simply don´t boot from the pen...., then i tryed the Qub1method and after i put the ID above, nothing happen either, same error/problem, it says that one partition is missing....

I already checked and i have the partitions ok, i tried also to create a recovery boot, from the windows system restore menu, he boot´s up from the pen, but then same problem, even if i make a bootable pen, he enters the windows blue menu, but he gives me the same error, i don´t know why, since the recovery partition, is included on the bootable pen that i have created.

Then i have an Image Backup, that i made when i got my Asus G750JX, i try to go from there, i put the windowsimagebackup folder, and the image, in the pen, try to boot with F8, go to restore from image, and doesn't even recognize it, it only says that nothing is in there, and i can´t get access to the pen, where the image is.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]ASUS Backtracker utility, doesn't work either, it simply freezes [/FONT]

so i´m running out of options here and i really need help, since Microsoft don´t even care about this problem, and i don´t know where do i have to go, to someone give me a direction to a complete tutorial on how can i solve this problem.

Thank you for your kindness and attention i really appreciated, been all night around this....

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Hi,
I don't know if this will help everybody in this thread but it worked for me just now. My problem scenario was an Asus S200E which had been 'upgraded' to Windows 7, from original Windows 8 OEM. The original recovery partition was no longer present, just the 100MB Asus system partition showing. Luckily I have an MSDN license, so I redeemed a key ready to use that, after giving up hope of using the original OEM license key.
I went to the microsoft site to create the Windows 8.1 installation media: Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Followed the steps and installed from the USB key which launched from the BIOS
Windows 8.1 installed and I was ready to use my MSDN license key when prompted.

However, I was never prompted and after install the PC Info shows an OEM license key.

Note - this was performed on a Windows 7 install, on a PC that originally came installed with Windows 8.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Here is what is happening here.. Your OEM created 5 partitions... When you updated to Windows 8.1 took your last partition and created the partitions it needed...

Now if you want to restore the factory image.. you have to tell you New Windows Installation to use the Recovery Tools and to use the OLD recovery image Partition..

you have to use diskpart to assign letter=r to the last recovery partition whish you will then find your recovery image (install.wim)

Once you find that file on the R drive run this command as (admin)

C:\Windows\System32\Reagentc /Setosimage /Path R:\RecoveryImage /Target C:\Windows /Index 1

r:\recoveryimage would be what ever folder you may have the install.wim in..

reboot your pc

from a command prompt (admin) type

reagent /info

you should now see a windowsre refferance
and an image refferance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

i actually used easeus.. O.O
aaand.. i dont have a USB stick.. >.< man this sucks
but imma try my external HDD..

and i am one of those lucky ones .... :party:.... (backtracker)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus N550JV
    Motherboard
    intel i7
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GFORCE 750M
Hey guys.Can u help me solve this problem? My PC is running windows 8.1 single language.I want to refresh my PC but I can't.It asked "Could not find recovery environment".I have checked diskmgmt.msc and my partition recovery also still here.It isn't disappear but I can't refresh.Can you solve it? Thank you
P/s: Sorry,my English isn't not good.
12.jpgj.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows
    Computer type
    Laptop
    s
ok... this is exactly whay happened to me. I used EaseUS to move my recovery partition so that I could extend my windows partition to fill the unallocated space. and when it was applied, it turned my Recovery partition into a Primary partition. All i need to know is how to change it back to a Recovery partition. That F*d up my day hard... ugh

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus p1801 AIO
I also am having this problem with my ASUS N56VJ

So I unfortunately upgraded to windows 8.1 from the MS Store and now I cannot access the recovery partition (which is still there). I've read just about ALL the threads and posts here on EightForums and I'm still kind of lost. Please see the screenshots, if it helps:View attachment 55923View attachment 55926View attachment 55927

Can someone tell me how to get the path to the recovery image back? I see that it's blank . I tried assigning a letter to the 20GB partition and changing the ID , but that didn't do anything to help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS N56VJ
    CPU
    i7
assign a drive letter "R" to the 20GB recovery partition - and browse for the folder that has "install.wim" or "install*.swm(s)"

and run this cmd from command prompt(admin)

C:\Windows\System32\Reagentc /Setosimage /Path R:\RecoveryImage /Target C:\Windows /Index 1

assuming the install* file(s) are on "R" and in a folder called "RecoveryImage"

change drive letter and folder name to suit your system setup

you can also run

reagentc /info

to get recovery info - you should see two listings - one for recovery tool "windows RE" and one for "recovery image"

View attachment 55928

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Thanks, KYHI, I'll try that again. I see you have the image location in your screenshot, and my attachment shows no path.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS N56VJ
    CPU
    i7
Thanks, KYHI, I'll try that again. I see you have the image location in your screenshot, and my attachment shows no path.

your attachments come up invalid..

but that is what that command will do is register the image path..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

your attachments come up invalid..

but that is what that command will do is register the image path..

Thanks, KYHI, it worked!!! :D Thanks for your help!!! Now just out of curiosity, can I remove any unnecessary partitions that were created by the windows upgrade?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS N56VJ
    CPU
    i7
Define unnecessary?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
post a picture of disk management (partitions) But for now "NO"

Windows 8.1 created another partition for it's recovery tools, so as not to over write the existing one..

I think you would be better off leaving things only - unless you want to do a clean install of windows 8.1

You can get windows 8.1 media that will use your existing windows 8 key for the upgrade or clean install
Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Okay, well, here is what my DISK shows. I just thought since I didn't want Windows 8.1 upgrade right now I could delete any partition that it created:
DISK.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS N56VJ
    CPU
    i7
Back