This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was wrong with Windows 8 ?
If Windows 8 contained all the features of W7 and allowed you to run the Metro interface if you wanted to there would be little to complain about. However they decided to remove various features like the start button, gadgets, Virtual PC (32 bit version). I remains to be seen whether this was a wise move.

Gadgets were removed from Windows 7 as well. They have a large security flaw in them that can get your computer owned by a virus or malware.

The start button is not a "feature" it's a UI element. The Start Menu is a feature, the button itself is just a way to access it, and the "button" is basically still there when you go to the corner, it's just hidden.

Windows 8 Pro has Client Hyper-V, which as you note requires 64 bit. But honestly, I don't know why you would want to run a virtual machine on a 32 bit computer, since you won't have a lot of free RAM to work with. If it really bugs you that much, get the Free VMware player.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I have used both the Consumer Preview and Release Preview and now the final release. I installed a third party start menu and actually enjoy having both the standard desktop and modern UIs. I am quite comfortable bouncing between the two depending on what I want/need to accomplish. I have a new Asus Windows 8 laptop and enjoy using multi-touch gestures on the touchpad (didn't get a touch screen laptop).

My complaint about Windows 8? Where on earth are all the apps? The app store selection is pathetic to be generous. Other than Netflix Skype Evernote news and the basic apps, there isn't much of anything out there. With such a limited app store selection, I certainly wouldn't recommend Windows 8 to anyone - unless they absolutely need a new PC. In this day and age, it really isn't so much the hardware or the operating system, ITS THE APPS!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Customer Preview
I had the choice of doing a quick format or a clean wipe and knew beforehand that a clean wipe would take quite a while. I'm not complaining about that.

I removed Windows 8 and replaced it with Windows 7. I would return my copy of Windows 8 to Best Buy if I could, but since I opened it I won't be able to do that. So, instead I'll just use the dvd as a coster to put my beer on. Even if I could make Win8 look like Win7 there would be no purpose in doing so. IMHO Win8 is a flop, worse than Vista.

Lesson learned, always check whether your AV software supports the OS you install it on. BTW, the latest Norton 360 does support Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
I'm trying to like W8. I really truly am. A huge fan of windows 7 and defender of how awesome it has been in editing and creating over 18,000 blog posts using Live writer and Live Movie Maker for my blog.Wanting to buy a new laptop I figured I'd give W8 a shot even after hearing folks complain about the lack of the Start Menu (didn't seem like a huge deal to me) and simply pressing the windows key and getting to the desktop which I pin my desktop applications to didn't seem like a huge deal but the more I try to give it all a go the more frustrated I am with how all of it gets in the way of me just getting down to business with wasted key strokes.It's a complete and total pain in the butt.I'm trying to be patient. I want it to work for me. But I'm leaning toward returning this computer that I bought and buying one with 7 if I can find one similarly spec'd.Am I wrong in that the metro apps are dumbed down?Am I the only one bothered that I don't have the time displayed in the lower left corner while I work so I can keep track of how much time I have left before I need to do other things?In the photo app when I right click on it shouldn't I be able to choose a program I'd like to work with it like a photo editor? Why do I need to close out of the metro photo app, close it down and then go to my desktop locate the picture file and open it in windows live photo editor? Kills me. Why aren't the file numbers available to me so I can make note of which one of the ten shots of the same scene I took with different camera settings I'd like to edit?Driving me nuts that I feel like I'm fighting this OS every step of the way. I must have written a dozen posts extolling the virtues of Windows 7 but there's no way in hell I could recommend W8 to anyone I know when I consider myself confident and a windows geek and I've done nothing but struggle. I can't imagine my mom trying to figure it out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 at Work Win 8 Laptop at Home
My complaint about Windows 8? Where on earth are all the apps? The app store selection is pathetic to be generous. Other than Netflix Skype Evernote news and the basic apps, there isn't much of anything out there. With such a limited app store selection, I certainly wouldn't recommend Windows 8 to anyone - unless they absolutely need a new PC. In this day and age, it really isn't so much the hardware or the operating system, ITS THE APPS!!!

You realize Windows 8 was released a little over a week ago? It was released with over 4000 apps, when the iPad was first released it had barely 2000 apps. Perhaps you should give developers some time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
It seems many people who tried Windows 8 woud have also liked the best Windows 7 features to be available in Windows 8. Many users seem to be coming up with work arounds to try to get the features they miss. This is not the way Microsoft should be designing an OS since it is like them telling us "We know what's best for you".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
I have used both the Consumer Preview and Release Preview and now the final release. I installed a third party start menu and actually enjoy having both the standard desktop and modern UIs. I am quite comfortable bouncing between the two depending on what I want/need to accomplish. I have a new Asus Windows 8 laptop and enjoy using multi-touch gestures on the touchpad (didn't get a touch screen laptop).

Agreed, the App Store is pretty lame. I've noticed that a lot of what is up there right now is junk However, give it a little time. Developers are still just learning to write to the platform. The software development tools are pretty impressive. I'm just learning it myself.

I spent the last year "hating" Win8 myself. Misplaced hate. Once installed on my machine it took very little to adapt to it. It's essentially Win7 with a new subsystem (Metro) in the background. Runs fast and stable. Everything works. I, like a lot of people, made a big deal over this. It really is OK. Give it a little time to mature. OK, so Aero is gone. It's not THAT big a deal. A bit flatter but colors can be adjusted to make it look fine. I'm finding that the new desktop has a slightly different "character" to it but it's not unpleasant to look at.

Does this mean I'm going to trade in my iPhones and iPads? Nope. However, since I've been developing to the Microsoft platform since Microsoft existed I'll continue with the platform. What I'm seeing so far is competent. It just needs time for the developer community to come on board with it. If you don't like it, don't use it, that's all.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
I'm trying to like W8. I really truly am. A huge fan of windows 7 and defender of how awesome it has been in editing and creating over 18,000 blog posts using Live writer and Live Movie Maker for my blog.Wanting to buy a new laptop I figured I'd give W8 a shot even after hearing folks complain about the lack of the Start Menu (didn't seem like a huge deal to me) and simply pressing the windows key and getting to the desktop which I pin my desktop applications to didn't seem like a huge deal but the more I try to give it all a go the more frustrated I am with how all of it gets in the way of me just getting down to business with wasted key strokes.It's a complete and total pain in the butt.I'm trying to be patient. I want it to work for me. But I'm leaning toward returning this computer that I bought and buying one with 7 if I can find one similarly spec'd.Am I wrong in that the metro apps are dumbed down?Am I the only one bothered that I don't have the time displayed in the lower left corner while I work so I can keep track of how much time I have left before I need to do other things?In the photo app when I right click on it shouldn't I be able to choose a program I'd like to work with it like a photo editor? Why do I need to close out of the metro photo app, close it down and then go to my desktop locate the picture file and open it in windows live photo editor? Kills me. Why aren't the file numbers available to me so I can make note of which one of the ten shots of the same scene I took with different camera settings I'd like to edit?Driving me nuts that I feel like I'm fighting this OS every step of the way. I must have written a dozen posts extolling the virtues of Windows 7 but there's no way in hell I could recommend W8 to anyone I know when I consider myself confident and a windows geek and I've done nothing but struggle. I can't imagine my mom trying to figure it out.

Joe ... just use a desktop photo app. Metro apps aren't supposed to be as complex as desktop apps. Some have said that the desktop is going to go away. No way. The supporting infrastructure (industry) for desktop apps is too massive.

My machine is primarily for development. I have literally dozens of desktop apps. Nothing is broken: nothing. I can still use this machine exactly as I did under Win7 but now can go into the Metro if there's an app I like there. If you're having trouble I think you're working too hard to use the Metro like you would Win7. Just proceed using your desktop apps as you normally do and bring in Metro stuff gradually as you find things to use there. I'm serious: I am a die-hard desktop developer (for many, MANY moons). This thing isn't giving me ANY trouble at all.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Yes, but MS would only do that if they felt they needed to in a commercial sense.

I assume you referring to desktop users.

MS have decided they can do it their way and the users don't have much choice.

There is no effective competition ( unless you are on of the very few who can use Linux - or have the entry price for a macbook - most don't ).

The average user just gets what they are given and puts up with it.

It seems many people who tried Windows 8 woud have also liked the best Windows 7 features to be available in Windows 8. Many users seem to be coming up with work arounds to try to get the features they miss. This is not the way Microsoft should be designing an OS since it is like them telling us "We know what's best for you".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

You realize Windows 8 was released a little over a week ago? It was released with over 4000 apps, when the iPad was first released it had barely 2000 apps. Perhaps you should give developers some time.

Precisely. Something I've just noticed, too. Microsoft must not have any kind of Q/A process on the app store right now because a lot of what I've played with today is pure junk. They're just trying to garner interest in the platform. It's competent, it will work but it needs some time. The tools provided for developing the Metro apps are impressive. Just give us developers some time to come up-to-speed. It's a new way of developing (Swiss Style).

No ... Metro won't beat iOS at it's own game, at least not for quite awhile. However I think it's got at-least a decent shot at making it.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
IOS and Android started out small. When I got my first Android phone there wan not very many quality apps on the Market but now there is. The Windows store will be the same way. You have to crawl before you learn to walk.

Just give it time. I'm thinking things will be different a year from now. If Microsoft can get their OS up to speed like Android and bring the price down a little I would get a tablet and Windows phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
7hrs. to wipe a drive? You are certainly spending far too long. You could have backed up the files you wanted and simply nuked the C primary in only a matter of a few minutes by booting live from disk. The command prompt option to run the DiskPart tool to use the clean command only takes a matter of seconds to wipe a 1tb drive.

If you do a "Quick Format", the drive doesn't get wiped at all (only the index gets wiped).

The format option is right there in the drive tools on the 7 dvd when you go to install 7. To see the optimum results however what I do here is once everything is backed up from the main drive which is seen to regularly to begin with the single C primary is nuked period to be replaced by a fresh new primary.

That method insures there are no potential lingering Partition Table issues to come up after the clean install goes on. But even with the format option the quick format normally wouldn't take more then a minute or two on a large capacity drive. The old format command used for the old Legacy and even with XP however would take upto a few hours at times but unsuitable these days!

Each person needs to sit down on a Windows 8 PC and give it a try.

Jim

WHY ? If someone is comfortable with Windows 7, WHY he should sit and give a try to Widows 8, WHY ?

One of the best posts on this thread so far!:D The people here that downloaded 8 did so because "they wanted a look" at what the next MS offering would be as far as look and feel. That was a conscious choice!

Even with 7 when someone was settled with XP and you tried encouraging them to look at either Vista or 7 to be prepared due the shrinking support for the older version and new board's no longer offering XP drivers as a big clue you can only lead a horse to water but not make it drink!

For the next person on the other hand that is looking to "get out of" an older version maybe finding things(like XP is known for) buggy or wanting to update the OS in general 8 might be to their liking while for the larger number of people who found 7 to be the champion of all Windows 8 has simply been the largest reason "not to upgrade at all"!

For those that simply want the latest and don't care about what changes have been made they are often labeled the MS fan boys over someone who turns around to go back to the previous or skip over one version entirely. Wth this being more of an RT version and not the familar "next release of" the Windows desktop OS you have to wonder just why all the bad publicity by blog writers unless they somewhat already know themselves 8 simply is not suitable for all users to begin with!

As a tech I may or may not use the next offering but still have to get familiar with how it works as well as what it offers. I know from practical experience already that 8 is not going to go over well with too many to start with simply because most are only looking for "familiar turf" with a new theme and some new options not see the entire desktop they are accustomed turned into a Tablet OS.

One of the earliest blog writers titled one article correctly mentioning MS was taking a hugh gambit with 8! Many would simply now call 8 the "Wheel of Misfortune"! And you won't be changing their minds any time soon.

Here's a quote from the latest ZDNet article on 8 you'll find amusing.

JURY STILL OUT ON WINDOWS 8: 19%

As expected, some of the early adopters liked the hardware but were flummoxed by the new operating system. A sampling of comments:

• “Windows 8 … this take some getting used to. The idea of getting to information faster is good however, there aren't enough programs preloaded.”
  • “Great so far - getting used to Win 8 will take a few days!!!”
  • " trying to get use to this new windows 8”
  • “I haven't made my mind up about Windows 8. I've sort of figured out how to use it but I find myself switching back to the desktop. It's easier for me to navigate.”

I think part of Microsoft's bet on the Windows 8 interface is that people will get over the discomfort quickly. If so, this comment has to be reassuring:

Windows 8 scares me as I'm not used to not having a "start" menu to get to my All Programs. : The more I use it, however, the more I like it and this computer is...FAST!!!

The report was on the HSN and seen at What do normal people think of new Windows 8 PCs? | ZDNet

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Microsoft must not have any kind of Q/A process on the app store right now because a lot of what I've played with today is pure junk.

You're right there, I was an early adopter of Windows Phone and it was the same thing a lot of junk Apps at the beginning but there are some really nice apps now. Windows Phone 8 will be better thanks to Native Code support, there are already a lot of major developers and Apps coming that were not on board before because WP7 didn't support native code.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
With anything new it will always take time just like seeing the next version time is the factor for all of the drivers as well as newer versions of the same or new softwares. Likewise apps for RT Tablets will take time to see emerge as well as for the 8 apps and W8 Phone too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
I had the choice of doing a quick format or a clean wipe and knew beforehand that a clean wipe would take quite a while. I'm not complaining about that.

I removed Windows 8 and replaced it with Windows 7. I would return my copy of Windows 8 to Best Buy if I could, but since I opened it I won't be able to do that. So, instead I'll just use the dvd as a coster to put my beer on. Even if I could make Win8 look like Win7 there would be no purpose in doing so. IMHO Win8 is a flop, worse than Vista.

What was wrong with Windows 8 ?

Granted it has it's issues, I don't see why some hate it so much. Over all it was fine. Not super great but not bad or poor either.

I liked almost every version of M$ os that they put out, except Windows 8, and I've been using it every since MS-DOS 1.0 was released. I just don't like the default user interface of Windows 8. Yes I could download a start button and other gadgets so that it looks like Windows 7. But why? What does Windows 8 then have or do that Windows 7 doesn't already have and do? What's the point of upgrading? I know M$ wants to have one os for PC, tablets, smart phones, etc. Nice gesture, but not very practical. I don't want my PC to look and feel like a tablet. And I don't care if the two have two different interfaces.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I liked almost every version of M$ os that they put out, except Windows 8, and I've been using it every since MS-DOS 1.0 was released. I just don't like the default user interface of Windows 8. Yes I could download a start button and other gadgets so that it looks like Windows 7. But why? What does Windows 8 then have or do that Windows 7 doesn't already have and do? What's the point of upgrading? I know M$ wants to have one os for PC, tablets, smart phones, etc. Nice gesture, but not very practical. I don't want my PC to look and feel like a tablet. And I don't care if the two have two different interfaces.

I can have say the same exact words, this is the first time I'm not excited with a new OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
This just in from Microsoft, their app store will be within the next couple of weeks be offering under *Paid Apps* every Microsoft application, and game they have created (Modern). The only actual lame apps I see are the free stuff *LoL* The ones that have been placed there by the big box companies are quite nice. As was stated earlier in this thread by Tony, just give it some time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

I was under the same impression myself, I.E. Why upgrade something that's working perfectly well as my Win7 was working? I too have been around since [before] DOS 1.0.

In my case I wanted to have one more look at it before I totally dismissed it. I had not yet attempted upgrading my full system to it. So I imaged my hard drive, paid the $15, created an install disk then turned the thing loose.

Long story short: System stable and runs fine. Desktop is exactly as it was sans start button and gadgets. (Neither of which I really miss). Metro subsystem is in the background and is interesting to tinker with. Downloaded and installed VS2012 Express to tinker with Metro development. Bought book on Metro development. Doing some learning as we speak.

I just don't feel like I've lost anything and now I've got a foothold on the new GUI. The thing runs fine. Don't even have to see Metro unless I want to.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Maxc Peck, have you try VS2012 ? I just use it to some feature to the launchpad, but until now I like it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB