New Acer Lap Top came with Linux - How to Install Win 7?

I think you should reconsider Jimbo's earlier suggestion of running a VM 7 from within Linux if you are dead set on 7 or even XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Here's the plan guys:

1) Try Ultimate Boot in a moment.

2) Try Installing the Official BIOS from Acer's website... I donwloaded them earlier, but the instructions were confusing, and then I ran into this blog that had the "official bios" supposedly, and better instructions, and that worked. However, those BIOS are NOT the official ones, even though the guy on the blog says that they are, and I know this because I downloaded the official bios and the ones from that blog, and the size of the two differs!

3) Try creating Each of the 3 ISO Windows Installation Files I have again, 3 times each with Rufus, for each of the "Partition scheme and tar system stem type" options Rufus has to offer. That means 9 different types of USB Win 7 installation.

4) Install Windows XP, if it works, upgrade it to windows 7, if it works.

5) Install Windows Vista, if it works, Switch to Windows 7, if it works.

I had to lay it out here, because I forget...

I can't let them beat me, not yet, I'm too hard-headed and pig-headed to let it go!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Here's the plan guys:

2) Try Installing the Official BIOS from Acer's website... I donwloaded them earlier, but the instructions were confusing, and then I ran into this blog that had the "official bios" supposedly, and better instructions, and that worked. However, those BIOS are NOT the official ones, even though the guy on the blog says that they are, and I know this because I downloaded the official bios and the ones from that blog, and the size of the two differs!

3) Try creating Each of the 3 ISO Windows Installation Files I have again, 3 times each with Rufus, for each of the "Partition scheme and tar system stem type" options Rufus has to offer. That means 9 different types of USB Win 7 installation.

I can't let them beat me, not yet, I'm too hard-headed and pig-headed to let it go!!!

1) I managed to get it recognized in Legacy, trying to run it results in a black screen like before with the GNU GRUB something something... Not recognized in UEFI...

Moving on!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Here's the plan guys:

Ok, number 2 is impossible to do because the instructions are, 1) for Windows 8 and, 2) not for installing with a USB stick...

Number 3 will take me 12 hours to do :eek:

And that brings us to number 4... My baby, my love, windows XP, the Daddy of them all... XP has Never, Ever let me down, and I betcha it's gonna work, and if it does, oh boy...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.

LOL...yeah, we noticed.

Amen to that! Still won't consider VM in Linux eh?

No :)

If everything fails then I'll either take it to the shop, take it back to the store, or give windows 8 a shot...

And I'll need some advise - if it comes to windows 8 - on how to make it look and function as closely as possible to windows 7.

You said it's possible, so that kind of make me reconsider, because I thought it wasn't.. :)

p.s I am mounting Windows XP on the USB now, this is going to take a LONG time to complete...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I am using this tutorial to create a USB with a Windows XP installation...

Creating Windows UEFI Boot-Stick in Windows - Thomas Krenn Wiki

The reason I looked for a different method is because Unebootin, Rufus and WiNToBootic would take forever to create it... I'm not sure why, but for some reason Windows XP takes A LOT of time with these programs, seriously... I left Unetbootin work for 20 minutes or so and it had barely done 2 percent :eek:

It's working quite fast now with this method, plus when it's done I can make sure that it's UEFI supported/working...

Also, this tutorial formats the USB with FAT32, and we know based on previous attempts at getting the USB recognized (for Win 7 and BIOS) that it has to be formatted with FAT32...

Also, the formatting is now done natively with Windows, not with 3rd party programs like rufus and the others, that's another plus in my book...

I'm feeling Optimistic about Win XP, as I said, the elder has never let me down! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ahahahaha it's ready... Seriously, this method is 10-20+ times faster than using 3rd party tools...

But, will it work? I will report back in a minute, fingers crossed!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ahahahaha it's ready... Seriously, this method is 10-20+ times faster than using 3rd party tools...

Thought it would be but started you out with the tools since you seemed lost at first. You've learned a lot and I have some too. Maybe this is the one that will work. Not so sure about XP and UEFI though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
It didn't work. The USB got recognized, but failed to install it due to some error that pops up...

I will now use the above method to quickly try the 3 Windows 7 Installations I got, one last try, I promise.

If none works, then...

The End...

By the time I'm done with this, let me ask, can I get Windows 8 in a legit way, or do I have to resort to torrents?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

Thought it would be but started you out with the tools since you seemed lost at first. You've learned a lot and I have some too. Maybe this is the one that will work. Not so sure about XP and UEFI though.

Yeah, I have learned a whole lot, thank you guys for that, I'm sure this will all (or some) come in handy in life, you know, computer-wise... :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I'm thinking more and more we should just go straight to Windows 8 ... I'll be happy to provide you with one of my unused keys given all the strife you have been through..

It didn't work. The USB got recognized, but failed to install it due to some error that pops up...

I will now use the above method to quickly try the 3 Windows 7 Installations I got, one last try, I promise.

If none works, then...

The End...

By the time I'm done with this, let me ask, can I get Windows 8 in a legit way, or do I have to resort to torrents?

Superfly already offered you a legit key. Very kind of him BTW.:thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info

If none works, then...

The End...

No torrents. Download from M$ server install and activate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Ok, I'm done...

I've decided to try Windows 8, it is the future, so I'll give it a shot...

What now? How do I proceed?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

If none works, then...

The End...

No torrents. Download from M$ server install and activate.

Superfly, was it you or popeye who offered me an activation key? I mean, I would like to have it, if it's necessary.. I mean, you guys already helped me much and wasted enough time on me, I feel uncomfortable asking for more.. :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
PM Superfly about the key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
PM Superfly about the key.

You know, I think I better download it first and see if it can be installed, and then I'll PM Superfly... unless the key is needed during the installation and not later for activation? But there should be a trial thing so that I can install it, and I can use the key after that to activate it, you know, assuming I manage to install it...

How about the version, do I get Win 8 or Win 8.1?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I PM'd instructions... Once you up and running, we can get the tweaks for a Win7 type experience sorted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max