New Acer Lap Top came with Linux - How to Install Win 7?

Problem...

The first partition formatted. The second partition cannot be formatted, and Windows 8 cannot be installed on it. Here's why:

Photo0864.jpg

I'll google for a solution on how to proceed... let me know if you have any ideas... It shouldn't be a huge problem... I could maybe turn on Linux Mint and then Format the Hard Disc through my computer and then attempt to install... Although I'm not sure if Linux Mint will allow me to Format my Hard Disc manually through My Computer, remember yesterday I couldn't even double click on a Setup.exe file and get a response...

Let me know guys...?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I think you need to delete the partition first then select new and then format it...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
I think you need to delete the partition first then select new and then format it...

Alright, I'll try it now.

EDIT: Okay, I deleted the Big one (Partition 2), then clicked New, and it did something, and now I can click next... Although, it created one extra partition now, I'm not sure what that's about...

Photo0865.jpg

The number 2 partition is the new one that was created...

Anyway, I selected partition 3, and clicked Next, we're on our way. :)

Photo0866.jpg

Thanks Superfly, what would I do without you.. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Great stuff...! I'll check in again in approx. 2hrs when I get home :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Great stuff...! I'll check in again in approx. 2hrs when I get home :)

We did it :D

Photo0868.jpg

So happy, so happy! :D

I tried clicking on the "Start" button in the lower left corner, and it took me to a "Smartphone/Tablet" looking screen...

Time to start "downgrading" to make it function as windows 7...

I'll see if I can do a few things myself, I'll check some tutorials online and such... but I'll wait for you get back on Superfly... and popeye...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
One of the setup screens to skip the Metro crap and go straight to desktop:

Capture.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Alright, Here's what I did.

I took out an old Ethernet cable I have, and connected the WiFi Router directly to my lap top, and it got connected.

Now I'll run Windows Updates, and hopefully it will download all the necessary drivers (It always did on Windows 7).

And then hopefully the problem with connecting to the internet by a wireless connection will be resolved because the wireless card drivers will be installed...

Let's see now...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ok guys, there's quite a lot of MegaBytes of updates that have to be installed here...

Hopefully they'll be done within an hour or so and then we can continue with the rest. And Superfly will be back by then too hopefully. And popeye I hope you'll be here as well.

2 reason I'm doing the Windows Updates first:

1) Hoping it will enable my wireless internet
2) I have had this habit since Ever. First I install Windows XP, or 7, or 8 now, and then the next thing I do is install Windows Updates. And then I proceed with web browsers and anti-viruses and win zips and media codecs and all the rest...

It just feels like the right course of action. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I am happy you got something installed. Probably will be ok for what you want.

It isn't the future. It is dead. Widely rejected. MS will try and kill it and distance themselves from it as fast as they can.

That may take them till next xmas.

Ok, I'm done...

I've decided to try Windows 8, it is the future, so I'll give it a shot...

What now? How do I proceed?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Wow you guys, for the last 3 days I've been going at this Full-Time, and I live alone, and thing have gathered to do now. I'll jump to buy milk and a few things by the time the updates complete, and put a washing machine, and gather the dry clothes that have been drying for 3 days now, and wash the dishes... :p

Where's a woman when you need one! hahaha I joke I joke.. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I am happy you got something installed. Probably will be ok for what you want.

It isn't the future. It is dead. Widely rejected. MS will try and kill it and distance themselves from it as fast as they can.

That may take them till next xmas.

Really? Oh okay...

Well, I didn't have much choice, as you've probably realized by reading this thread...

I sure hope they don't drop it and maintain Windows 7, as I cannot use Windows 7 on my new lap top...

By the way, I love your Signature, I completely agree with it. I hate the cloud, and people always talk about it as if it's the new best thing...

I keep ALL my stuff on External Hard Discs.. My lap tops are Empty of files, it's ALL on my externals :D

I got 3 External Hard discs:

500 GB
700 GB
1 TB

And I am waiting for a new 3 TB one to arrive, to open it, back up the other 3 hard discs I got on it, and then put it back in the box and store it away... :D

I'll do this because I'm paranoid that if one of my existing hard discs breaks, I lose everything on it. But if the stuff I got on it is Backed-Up on Another Hard disc, then I can retrieve my info. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I doubt an hour will be sufficient. Took me 12 hours to install all the upgrades last week (although I was watching TV which slows my downloads and it was for 7 not 8). Do them all and then check again. And again. And again until Windows update says nothing left.

Forget AV, just install VLC, 7-zip and notepad++ and you are done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
I'll do this because I'm paranoid that if one of my existing hard discs breaks, I lose everything on it. But if the stuff I got on it is Backed-Up on Another Hard disc, then I can retrieve my info.

Yes, that is wise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I doubt an hour will be sufficient. Took me 12 hours to install all the upgrades last week (although I was watching TV which slows my downloads and it was for 7 not 8). Do them all and then check again. And again. And again until Windows update says nothing left.

Forget AV, just install VLC, 7-zip and notepad++ and you are done.

Yes. A friend actually brought me his lap top last week to fix, he couldn't log in.

So I repaired it, saved his pictures, music etc, and then installed Windows 7 on his machine.

And then it took me a Whole Day to install the Updates, like you said, it keeps installing, restarting, and then you check again and there's more, and again, and again, the whole day... I just assume that maybe it won't need that many hours now because the Windows 8 OS I have I just downloaded today... But the Windows 7 OS I have is quite old, and lacking in updates...

Oh well, we'll see what happens...

What's AV? VLC is that media player, right?

I use Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic, K-Lite codecs, Firefox and Chrome, Win Zip, Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Power ISO, these are the things I always install on my lap top/s :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I'll do this because I'm paranoid that if one of my existing hard discs breaks, I lose everything on it. But if the stuff I got on it is Backed-Up on Another Hard disc, then I can retrieve my info.

Yes, that is wise.

Yes, I thought so. Thank you SIW2 for confirming that for me as being the right course of action :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Excellent bud.. Now back to Windows 7..LOL Seriously though, I'm almost convinced the only thing holding us back is secureboot...I think standard means default which means enabled.. I read somewhere to enable the option one first needs to create a supervisor password in the UEFI, then a sub-menu with enabled/disabled appears for secureboot. Truly our last shot! Nothing will beat us right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Excellent bud.. Now back to Windows 7..LOL Seriously though, I'm almost convinced the only thing holding us back is secureboot...I think standard means default which means enabled.. I read somewhere to enable the option one first needs to create a supervisor password in the UEFI, then a sub-menu with enabled/disabled appears for secureboot. Truly our last shot! Nothing will beat us right?

F**k yeah nothing will beat us...

But what are you saying? We're gonna give it one last shot with Windows 7? The old college try? :p

EDIT: Okay, there aren't any more Important Updates.

There are just 2 more optional updates, one for Windows for X64-based systems, and one for Bluetooth controller. These should be the last ones...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

Superfly? Should I continue with Windows 8, or are we giving Windows 7 one last shot?

You tell me, I'll stop doing anything here until you tell me what you want me to do. If you're for example interested in knowing whether this would work, I'll do it...

I'll wait for you to tell me.? I rarely let other people decide for me, never actually, but you decide this one, you earned it... I'll do whatever you say.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back