My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours

Windows 8 is nice

Installation was super fast. Didn't come across any problem at all.
I did not have to install any driver manually. It loads fast and the interface is sexy.

One complaint: I hate switching between metro and old desktop. It makes me feel like I'm using two operating systems.
I don't understand why Microsoft was unable to make everything work through the metro interface. We have to switch back to the desktop to access control panel, my computer, and the libraries.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Release Preview evaluation 8400 x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell N 5040
    CPU
    Intel CORE i3
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    its a laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    600 GB
    Internet Speed
    cable modem
When you're able to drag things around, arrange them to your liking and have the options to pin to Start or Taskbar, remove things you don't need, it's faster than the start menu. It's a tedious thing to CONSTANTLY have to click open the menu, click to All Programs, and right click and click again to delete a folder or shortcut, times 15 intervals. Even more annoying is when the menu closes out after you have to click Yes to delete said files. In the Start Screen, that's cut in half.

It's not our fault that you are doing it the hard way.

It's just like Sinofsky was doing on his blog (picking the worst case example to "prove" that Metro is "better").

if you only want to delete a few icons, the Metro Screen is faster.
Deleting a lot of icons (e.g. all of the MS Office icons) is a lot faster using the "Start Menu".

All you have to do is:

• Open the "Start Menu"
  • Right click on "All Programs"
  • Select "Open" and/or "Open All Users" from the context menu
  • Open the "Programs" folder
  • Select all of the folders and/or icons to be deleted (using the standard methods).
  • Delete them.
  • Done

Apparently no one ever rearranged their "Start Menu" folders and/or icons, so MS removed that ability in W7 (probably in Vista).
I suspect they justified that decision, by saying that their telemetry "proved" that no one ever did it.

Or yeah, I could just right click on a tile, Open file location, select the folder, and BAM! Delete it. Or, just drag the tiles into a new group, go to semantic view, right click on the group and BAM, unpin them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I've reverse the table, you seems to talk about Windows 8 as if it is ONLY used by people that have a plethora of software and manage all sorts of PCs and NOTHING else on it!

No, but only WE are the ones being punished by it...

It /could/ have satisfied both types equally, but it doesn't.

That is the very crux of the problem!

And the DVD stuff? I see people using their laptops as portable DVD players ALL THE TIME. I would bet that 10 times as many people use their DVD player than would want to get rid of it for a second HD. That's the same argument that MS used to remove the start menu and it's complete BS.

But WORSE than the removal of DVD playback is the removal of mpeg playback natively. Video playback has /always/ been a royal PITA for users and developers because there is nothing close to an actual, reliable, usable cross platform codec and container format until the widespread adoption of mpeg 4 AND it's native inclusion into OSes. We were headed towards video utopia with 7 and now it's gone in an instant with Windows 8.

Do you have any idea how "not right" it is to have a product that produces mpeg 4 files and then having to tell your customer to go download some shady (to them) program called "VLC" to play it back? So now EVERY video product vendor needs to write their own video player to be included with our software even though it's supposed to be a freaking world wide standard? Bloody hell...

I read an article about the new video work in Metro, the new video APIs and the MS developers were ultra gushing about their functionality etc. Only thing, the entire article was riddled with asterisks which at the bottom said "mpeg 4 playback only available with additional software" (Paraphrasing).

If it's not included by default on shipment or installable freely BY the developer then it is USELESS, virtually noone is going to have it installed. What are you going to say, "Oh, here buy my software for $30, but you need to buy media center for another $10 to use it even if you never want to use media center itself..." That is just all kinds of fail.
Really? I've seen SO many countless people stream video online. DVDs I've seen used on large TVs hooked up to a DVD player, which by the way, the Xbox can be used for that purpose as well. The disk drive in general is starting to the way of the floppy drive, USB drives are FAR superior to disks. I personally HATE CDs, no point to them. DVDs are becoming that way too with me. One 16 gig flash drive or even an external drive beats out disks everyday. But, there are sometimes where you DO need them, as that's why there are external DVD drives one can buy for an ultrabook or tablet PC.

I wouldn't think it would be shady to people if you tell them it's literally one of the best video playing programs out there, just sayin'. :geek: Also, I kind of wonder how many people have mpeg4 files on their hard drives. I would guess media junkies would, but I don't know about common users though. But just because it isn't native to the core Windows 8 OS doesn't mean that it's not possible for it to be native. One needs to upgrade to get features, as does Windows 8 Pro with Media Center does. Sure, one must pay a bit more for that, but oh well. There's always VLC player!

The thing about Windows 8 is, it takes out a couple of features that Microsoft has to pay to license that isn't terribly used by the average Windows user. That in turn means a lower cost for end users, and also means a LEGITAMITE need for a different version of Windows that has those features for a price that has an actual reason for that cost. My guess is that YOU wouldn't use the core version of Windows 8 (if you did use Windows 8), you would use the Windows 8 Pro with Media Center and probably not use Media Center, as basically no one even really used WMC. That's you, but for a college student or an accountant or a just a plain lazy blob of flesh wouldn't probably even know or care for a couple features they don't or have never used in Windows before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Windows 8 is nice

Installation was super fast. Didn't come across any problem at all.
I did not have to install any driver manually. It loads fast and the interface is sexy.

One complaint: I hate switching between metro and old desktop. It makes me feel like I'm using two operating systems.
I don't understand why Microsoft was unable to make everything work through the metro interface. We have to switch back to the desktop to access control panel, my computer, and the libraries.

NO virus, wrong.

you can work trough the METRO without a desktop. One can put everything on the metro as if it was a desktop.

Sure it is a bit of work, but worth it.

Now I can be wrong, but for me everything I wanted until now, is on the metro.

So I could work without a desktop, but I use it because I like my background screens. Right now I use the one MS offers (site seeing of Australia).

Forgot: I one wants everything on the taskbar, good luck.....how many icons does one need the? Putting everything on the desktop....back to '98, no thanks

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
I love the new copy dialogue, both how I can pause individual copying processes and how they will 'stack' inside one 'copy window' rather than having loads of them all over my screen when I copy loads of files at once.

I also like the fast booting/small footprint, if for no other reason than it has turned an old junky Vista laptop with 2GB RAM into a respectable machine once again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Upgrade is cheap Upgrade get's me "pro" features like hyper-v and terminal services hosting, etc. I often get the urge to "go pro" from home premium in windows 7, but the cost is insane. windows 8 pro upgrade is like $40 though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Back