My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours

Your zipcode locates you on the map.

Depending on how much of the other information you have given, it measures your gullibility index! (Sorry :))

No kidding. It is kind of crazy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Ok, I had no problem with booting windows 8 from vhd. My request to hopachi is that do you have any idea of doing this process with ubuntu? I want to boot ubuntu from vhd but I could not find an article on the net to help me.

I would be highly grateful if you could help.

Good question.

I don't have much experience in the matter but after reading some posts here:
Booting a Linux VHD

it seems impossible (for the moment).

You can only do that starting with Win7 beta and beyond. Vista is NOT supported and XP neither.
I got the answer some time ago at post #37 here:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2393-windows-8-vhd-create-boot-dual-boot-4.html

People do mention some work made by VMLite from here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2010-April/030763.html

and eventually you go here (instructions): http://www.vmlite.com/appliances/ubuntu-910-readme.html

and there is something called
Real Appliance
and that's what we're looking for. If you can set that up you can boot Ubuntu from VHD.

But that's still early and it's something I didn't got the chance to test.

One last thing (sorry for so many links) here is the page with sample VHD appliances (including ubuntu):
Download

you can also try to make your own VHD following the instructions.

Regards
Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I am forcing myself to use Windows 8 right now.

I am working on something that requires Citrix, so I thought I would give Metro IE a chance. After all I might need to use Citrix on a tablet one day.

It kicked me out to the real desktop.

In fact I keep getting bounced around Metro and the real desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
That's what it does

It sounds like W8 is working as per its design. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Coke Robot--Windows To Go would be on my list but it is only available with the Enterprise Edition, which puts out of reach of many of us.

Crawfish--did you ever wonder how such a polished and [hopefully] secure program as TrueCrypt can exist for free for such a long time, without any prospect of ad revenue or a commercial version? Just sayin.

Hi there
Windows to go mechanism might be "Do-able" on std windows -- all it needs is the boot commands which presumably you can extract off the current Windows 8 stuff. While Windows 8 CP will expire in January 2013 --that doesn't mean that some of the individual PROGRAMS will stop functioning.

I doubt if Ms will change the whole boot mechanism before release date --especially at this stage.

Of course the main problem with any "Hacked" windows to go version will be the need for re-activation if you try and boot it on different hardware.

A possible good idea until a "Hackable" version of Windows to go appears is to install any version of Windows you like as a VM on an SSD under a tiny version of Linux and connect the SSD via a SATA==>USB3 interface. This should (even with the VM overhead) still be fast enough to be useful and the VM would only ever need to be activated ONCE.

Hacking a standard W8 system would present "Activation" problems -- but if the W8 to go was just being used as a tool then you could always re-image it as activation is normally required within 30 days. Decent imaging programs could restore a new image within 15 mins (on an SSD probably within about 7 mins !!).

SATA==>USB3 connections aren't available yet on a lot of laptops --especially company one's who tend to go for generic models like HP == fine but aren't leading edge technology.

A SATA==>USB2 connection works decently enough though --especially with an SSD. -- If you have an older 60GB SSD this would be a good use for it.

Cheers
jimbo

Yeah, I think it's odd and probably is a slight glitch as of now that Windows needs reactivating and the key can only work a very few times before you need a new key. But on the the upside, I made a Windows 8 To Go drive yesterday with the Release Preview and it is MUCH better to use than the CP! Better driver support for one, and it seems like there is much less accessing the flash drive than before. A new metro notifications pops up telling you to not yank out the flash drive as bad things could aflict your life. There is also now the sleep option. YES! I thought was odd that the CP didn't let you sleep the system, but now it does and it is just fast, even on USB 2!

Say, have you installed Windows 8 on a USB 3 flash device or something similar and ran it on a USB 2 port?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

I am working on something that requires Citrix, so I thought I would give Metro IE a chance. After all I might need to use Citrix on a tablet one day.

It does that, and yes, it can get annoying. My suggestion is to make it a better hybrid system. Make program defaults to open things on the Desktop, playing and viewing media files on the Desktop versus having to switch to an app. You can also, I believe, change a setting in IE on the Desktop to open the Desktop version of IE. I like to use the metro IE browser, I think it's cool! :cool: It also works SO MUCH BETTER than previous incarnations, they were unacceptably offensive to use daily. The CP was polished, but this new version is fluid.

"The Start Screen is adaptable to the user, as it was designed to be. One must make it their own...."
-Coke Robot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Hello cly, I also felt a bit like that. But once I started using the keyboard shortcuts everything started looking very easy.
If you are on keyboard and mouse. Keep one hand near the windows logo key. Use the windows key to get to the metro UI. Use windows+q to search and use windows+c to use the charms bar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD

It does that, and yes, it can get annoying. My suggestion is to make it a better hybrid system. Make program defaults to open things on the Desktop, playing and viewing media files on the Desktop versus having to switch to an app. You can also, I believe, change a setting in IE on the Desktop to open the Desktop version of IE. I like to use the metro IE browser, I think it's cool! :cool: It also works SO MUCH BETTER than previous incarnations, they were unacceptably offensive to use daily. The CP was polished, but this new version is fluid.

"The Start Screen is adaptable to the user, as it was designed to be. One must make it their own...."
-Coke Robot

I am just beginning the scratch the surface but the Start Screen appears to have a lot of potential.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Yeah, I think it's odd and probably is a slight glitch as of now that Windows needs reactivating and the key can only work a very few times before you need a new key. But on the the upside, I made a Windows 8 To Go drive yesterday with the Release Preview and it is MUCH better to use than the CP! Better driver support for one, and it seems like there is much less accessing the flash drive than before. A new metro notifications pops up telling you to not yank out the flash drive as bad things could aflict your life. There is also now the sleep option. YES! I thought was odd that the CP didn't let you sleep the system, but now it does and it is just fast, even on USB 2!

Say, have you installed Windows 8 on a USB 3 flash device or something similar and ran it on a USB 2 port?

Ok--just found a use for Windows To Go. I am going on vacation and need to take Photoshop and Lightroom with me to use on host's computer. How large of a USB flash drive do I need? Are there simple instructions for installing the latest Windows 8 on the USB flash drive?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W

Ok--just found a use for Windows To Go. I am going on vacation and need to take Photoshop and Lightroom with me to use on host's computer. How large of a USB flash drive do I need? Are there simple instructions for installing the latest Windows 8 on the USB flash drive?

Ordering “Windows to Go”: how to create a bootable Windows 8 USB thumb drive | Ars Technica

Simplest instruction you can find. It applied to the Consumer Preview, but works just the same for the Release Preview. A suggestion though, look and the command prompt snippet for the commands, don't base it off what's typed in the article. I screwed up the btmgr part because of that and had to redo the whole thing.

I have Windows 8 To Go installed on a 16 gig, USB 2 flash drive. Before, I had the CP installed on it and lucky for you, I had Photoshop CS5 installed. It leaves about 8ish gigs left on the flash drive, which is enough for Photoshop (but select the 32 or 64 bit versions, don't install both) and I believe enough for Lightroom. Just a word though, it will literally take HOURS. USB 2 is the most slowed storage interface out there now, but it surprisingly works OK though. It takes about a little over an hour for Windows 8, and about another hour or so for Photoshop and probably will take a little under and hour for Lightroom. And when you install the programs, don't try to use the To Go drive, it won't get you anywhere as USB 2 flash memory is slow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
And when you install the programs, don't try to use the To Go drive, it won't get you anywhere as USB 2 flash memory is slow.

So forgive me, what is the point of installing it if you can't use it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Ok, I've got Win 8 runnning in a VHD. I will reserve judgment until I've had a chance to play with it.

One thing I find really weird is you have give them your name, sex, birthdate, zip code, email address, and two of (another email address, phone number and secret question) just to install an operating system.

What gives??
Microsoft account and Trust this PC feature of Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
And when you install the programs, don't try to use the To Go drive, it won't get you anywhere as USB 2 flash memory is slow.

I'm not really saying that you CAN'T use the programs, but I would advise not the use Windows during the installation period as USB 2 flash memory can't respond fast enough in that scenario. But, once they are installed, you can use them just fine and everything else. I would just wait like a minute or so for Photoshop to load all of the needed files into RAM and such. Í used Photoshop on a To Go drive on USB 2 flash and it worked perfectly fine for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I'm not really saying that you CAN'T use the programs, but I would advise not the use Windows during the installation period as USB 2 flash memory can't respond fast enough in that scenario. But, once they are installed, you can use them just fine and everything else. I would just wait like a minute or so for Photoshop to load all of the needed files into RAM and such. Í used Photoshop on a To Go drive on USB 2 flash and it worked perfectly fine for me.

OK, I had misunderstood. I am about to pull the trigger on a 32 GB or 64 GB USB 3.0 flash drive, but some of the computers I will use it on will be USB 2. And once Jan 2013 comes around, I might not be able to use W2G feature as easily, right?

Should I go for 64 GB? I feel it would be much more useful over the long run.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Ok, I've got Win 8 runnning in a VHD. I will reserve judgment until I've had a chance to play with it.

One thing I find really weird is you have give them your name, sex, birthdate, zip code, email address, and two of (another email address, phone number and secret question) just to install an operating system.

What gives??
Microsoft account and Trust this PC feature of Windows 8.

Is that a required feature? Even though I gave it my real email adress, when the confirmation email came I clicked "No I did not send this" and I changed the account to a local account.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Hey Cly,

I already installed To Go on a 16GB usb 2.0 stick and I can tell you the facts. It's up to you to decide if it's worth a shot or not.

Ok, the usb stick it's pretty standard. I posted the speed specs some time ago: http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/5103-windows-8-go-usb-stick-2.html

I used CP x86 (32bit) following Wolfgang's procedure here http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5349-windows-8-go-setup-usb-flash-drive-usb-disk-11.html more or less.

Then I formatted the stick and used RP x64 (64bit) following the same steps. Because 64bit programs should execute by a few percent faster, BUT the 64bit version has more files to copy and the imagex fase (copying all system to usb) took almost 120 minutes instead of the 32bit 90 minutes.

After copying files, it was bootloader time: I had a Win7 x64 base pc and the needed bcdboot command doesn't work here (usb not bootable). You need to run the command from within Win8 with the To Go stick inserted. So I set up a VM in VirtualBox /VMware where you install the needed Win8 version just for running the bcdboot command here with the usb stick inserted.

That went pretty well and it was testing time: you should boot the pc from the stick to see it run. Note that the best (fastest) computer in house is recommended because hardware has to be installed and the process takes a long time.

CP x86 (32bit) first boot: pretty slow the first boot time, about 50 minutes seriously.
The RP x64 was something similar but didn't measured the time, just left the room for an hour (that boring install screen took ages)
But was ready in about an hour. Yes it's usb 2.0. Be warned.

After the first boot I was impressed: the second boot was 2 minutes and later on almost 1 minute!
So if you got a spare usb stick give To Go a try.
The first boot on a second computer with the same stick goes fast: in less than 3 minutes you are on the desktop.

Installing apps, progs and stuff also goes slow. To speed thing up use offline installers already copied to a local HDD in the pc (if available) and run setup(s) from there. I did this with some programs and the nVidia installer: when the installer suggests extraction to C:, you pick your own desired HDD / sdd drive (not the To Go stick which is call drive C: here).

After some use and when your needed programs are installed, you can run them (still slow in comparison with a HDD or SSD but worth it for usb 2.0 stick)

Some users here used usb 3.0 sticks for To Go with better (or worse than expected) performances.
To Go works also on HDD's and SSD drives but for the cheapest solution, I leave To Go on my usb 2.0 stick.

I use it sometimes for the show or testing programs and apps on different pc's without the need of installing Win8 everywhere. It's a pretty mobile and flexible solution.

I now use the RP x64 To Go: the install took longer to complete but that's over and the benefit of x64 should be present. The disadvantage of x64 To Go is that older (32bit) processors and pc are not supported but that doesn't worry me since 90% of what I use here daily are 64bit capable pc's (pretty basic dual cores and a i5, not much) not a problem for the mobile usb stick here.

That's the story of a usb 2.0 To Go setup.

Thanks
Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Hopachi,

I really appreciate your input. Based on what you said, I might go a different route. I have an external 3 TB drive (eSATA and USB) that already has 2TB of data on it.

Can I install Win 8 on that without disturbing the data that's already there?

If so, what's the best way (normal vs. W2G?) and (same partition, new partition, or VHD?)

Can I do it in such a way that this drive has its own bootloader that only is accessed when I want to be accessed (doesn't disturb boot loader on internal drive)?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Hopachi,

I really appreciate your input. Based on what you said, I might go a different route. I have an external 3 TB drive (eSATA and USB) that already has 2TB of data on it.

Can I install Win 8 on that without disturbing the data that's already there?

If so, what's the best way (normal vs. W2G?) and (same partition, new partition, or VHD?)

Can I do it in such a way that this drive has its own bootloader that only is accessed when I want to be accessed (doesn't disturb boot loader on internal drive)?

Thanks for reading.

There are many solutions on this one. Pick one that doesn't involve formatting or messing with too many bootloaders if you still use that drive for data. I'm talking about a NTFS partition in the best scenario.

I read that the drive is external: To Go is still the best solution because the bootloader stays (independent) on the external drive.
Drivers are installed on every pc you boot with that drive.

You can go through the To Go process but don't format if you need your data. Make sure the drive's partition is primary and active.
You already know Wolfgang's great tutorial here on the forums: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5349-windows-8-go-setup-usb-flash-drive-usb-disk.html and before he posted it, I looked here: Ordering “Windows to Go”: how to create a bootable Windows 8 USB thumb drive | Ars Technica
and the procedure is the same, but keep in mind over what we discussed here on the forums: mainly that you need to run bcdboot from another Win8 installation when the time comes to make the drive bootable.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/5103-windows-8-go-usb-stick-2.html

(In my opinion, VHD is best for an internal drive: a bootloader is created on one of the drives available or the bootloader goes besides an already present Vista or Win7 if one of those are already installed on the pc. If the HDD is removed, it can't boot without it's OS bootloader that's on another drive)

I'd also give To Go a try on a external hard drive but i'm honest to say I only tested it on usb sticks but I'm confident it works as long as you can boot from the eSata drive from the BIOS menu.

Good luck

Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Hopachi--I was not able to install because I am using a 3TB hard drive formatted GPT, which apparently cannot be an active partition. Any solutions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Hopachi--I was not able to install because I am using a 3TB hard drive formatted GPT, which apparently cannot be an active partition. Any solutions?

Hi Cly,

No solid solution that I know for this one for the moment. Sorry.

I didn't had time to test this out:
- convert my usb stick to GPT
- format NTFS
- no ACTIVE partition just copy (imagex) the files there and try to boot

...and see if I get errors or warnings, then reboot on my HP laptop (has "HP diagnostics UEFI" only in F11 mode but it's a BIOS laptop)

I don't think it's going to work either but I'm not sure until I test it out or after someone confirms this.

In your case:
You can try a VHD install but it has some limitations also (no more portability between more pc's). And you need UEFI pc to boot from GPT partitions with Windows from what I know.

If I search some connections between UEFI and mbr, I get this:
SourceForge.net: tianocore
but didn't found the right project yet (to emulate uefi or boot on a BIOS machine) and something called "bootduet"

If your machine has UEFI, ignore the previous 1-2-3 lines of text.

Converting the drive from GPT to MBR will wipe all the data: this not a solution. And the MBR partition can be maximum 2TB in size.
It is possible to make after a backup but I really wouldn't recommend it (just to boot the drive). Stay with the current GPT 3TB partition and it's safer for you and your files. The thing that concerns me is the possibility to lose some files during backup and conversion to MBR because it's a large drive.

To boot from GPT you need UEFI support.
I never tried booting from a GPT drive (actually I never used GPT drives because they are all smaller than 2TB) on a standard BIOS pc and I don't think is going to work.

Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard