My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours

Not sure why people are so excited about iso mounting.

I suppose it is marginally more convenient to have it included if all you ever want to do is mount them .

No biggie. Plenty of free isomounting software already available. If you have simple needs, then this is good WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more... ( it also creates iso's). Works great on win7.

If you want to do more than just mounting you would need a full isohandler anyhow.

Like this: PowerISO - Create, Burn, Mount, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

the free (unregistered ) version does almost everything - the only limitataion of the free version is you are restricted to editing only up to 300mb. It is also great for writing iso to flash

Hi there

300 MB -- not much use -- waste of time if you need to create / edit iso's . 300 MB would probably make you about 5 mins of decent quality video !!!!!. this really is of no use to man or beast.

The point about mounting ISO's is that the OS can do it directly without you having to install some 3rd party software to do it.

Remember also that the iso format itself might not exist for too much longer anyway -- DVD and CD physical media aren't long for this world in any case.

These days if I play a DVD I'll just mount the ISO with w8 and play with VLC media player -- and I can stream them as well to an external DVD (domestic) machine too..

I keep an external DVD writer just for the few times I need to rip a DVD -- probably won't be doing too much of that in future as modern DVD machines can record direct to HDD and also have USB input to play stuff from external USB devices anyway.

Can't be too long now before DVD's are available as ISO downloads or even supplied on USB sticks / Micro sdHC cards instead of physical DVD's -- should be cheaper and less polluting manufacturing anyway.

A tiny 32 Gb micro sdHC card could store up to approx. 7 "standard" DVD's on it !!!!

Can't see either the CD or DVD now lasting much longer.

When I'm travelling now and I want to watch movies - I just plug a micro sdHC card into my phone -- and depending on the length of journey either plug the phone into the laptop via its usb cable and watch the movie on the laptop or for shorter journeys watch the movie on the smartphone itself. My smartphone will play .iso files and the computer will too of course.

The Samsung Galaxy III s screen is just about OK for watching movies for a shortish time -- say 2 hrs or so -- or on a plane where it's not always convenient to get a laptop out --especially in "Cattle Class" seats --is it me or are plane seats becoming more cramped --I'm not getting fatter or overweight myself so it's not due to ME. !!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I accidentally copied Windows onto the wrong drive :( Now I can't figure out how to delete the Windows installation off of that drive.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
Two features I just discovered that I LOVE over Windows 7:

1. LOT less software and utilities to install with a new installation

2. It's a lot faster to get configured than 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

I agree with that; it wasn't a top reason for me to upgrade because Windows is already installed so the work is already done.

Any ideas how to remove an unwanted Windows installation off an external drive?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W

1) ?!?!? What utilites? In fact with the missing DVD and mp4 playback there are actually MORE utilities you have to install over 7.

2) Again ?!? When installing the 30 applications you need to use daily/weekly Then having to do MORE work in Metro to organise them all than you ever had to so with the start menu and trying to get those two remote printers installed and getting it working nicely with the rest of your network when everything has been moved around on you, the setup time is /considerably/ longer.

Again Coke. You talk about Windows 8 as if it is only used by people that mail and web and maybe play majong and do NOTHING else on it! If so then point taken, for everyone else, both of your points are in fact the exact opposite of how you stated them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8

1) ?!?!? What utilites? In fact with the missing DVD and mp4 playback there are actually MORE utilities you have to install over 7.

2) Again ?!? When installing the 30 applications you need to use daily/weekly Then having to do MORE work in Metro to organise them all than you ever had to so with the start menu and trying to get those two remote printers installed and getting it working nicely with the rest of your network when everything has been moved around on you, the setup time is /considerably/ longer.

Again Coke. You talk about Windows 8 as if it is only used by people that mail and web and maybe play majong and do NOTHING else on it! If so then point taken, for everyone else, both of your points are in fact the exact opposite of how you stated them.

1. Does no-one understand metro is a new feature not a replacement of features. That means you are wrong with the utilities. And WMP is included.

2. Or you could switch to Windows 8 default drivers/apps instead of desktop apps which use up 15TB because they're in "Windows 8 Preview".

Oh, and that is practically all I do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 11
Hopachi--I was not able to install because I am using a 3TB hard drive formatted GPT, which apparently cannot be an active partition. Any solutions?

Hi Cly,

No solid solution that I know for this one for the moment. Sorry.

Hopachi

Too bad. I was hoping to have a single eSATA drive that housed a whole bootable system. 2.2 TB wouldn't have been large enough.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W

1. Does no-one understand metro is a new feature not a replacement of features. That means you are wrong with the utilities. And WMP is included.

2. Or you could switch to Windows 8 default drivers/apps instead of desktop apps which use up 15TB because they're in "Windows 8 Preview".

Oh, and that is practically all I do.

1) WMP is included but it NO LONGER plays DVDs or mpeg 4 files of any kind without installing additional tools. A giant leap backwards from Windows 7.

2) What?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
1) WMP is included but it NO LONGER plays DVDs or mpeg 4 files of any kind without installing additional tools. A giant leap backwards from Windows 7.

I had thought this was only a DVD issue, so didn't care much. I didn't realize it affected mpeg 4 files generally. Isn't there an easy solution to that--Quicktime, or even copying the codecs from Windows 7?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W

While in theory, in practicality these apps are of limited use. For example, there is a PDF reader by default, but it's a metro app with almost no functionality. I managed to live with it for about 3 users before I went and installed my normal sumatra PDF reader so that I could be productive again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

I had thought this was only a DVD issue, so didn't care much. I didn't realize it affected mpeg 4 files generally. Isn't there an easy solution to that--Quicktime, or even copying the codecs from Windows 7?

Well installing the media center will bring back the full mpeg 4 and DVD playback functionality. Though rumor is that that will be something you have to pay for.

But also installing saw Power DVD or installing a codec pack like CCCP or Sharkey's will also bring it back. When use WMP Classic or other media player.

I have not tried installing any third party codec packs though, can;t say which one is guaranteed to work at this point.

(P.s. Though DVD and mpeg4 are mentioned together a lot, yes I know that DVDs use MPEG2 compression, not mpeg 4 but a LOT of stand alone movie files these days are mp4 files or h263/4 encoded AVIs etc....)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
As others have said, there are free utilities available for mounting CD/DVD ISO images. (I use one called MagicDisc)

BitLocker is available only in some versions of Windows 7. Is it going to be available for every version of Windows 8?

My reasons for upgrading (I'd do this only on my personal netbook computer):

1. Get more accustomed to the Metro interface
2. Some inane but addictive (and free) games I found on the Microsoft store (computer cheats at Backgammon, btw :eek:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
because it would look like a nice OS onto a HD tv for media center stuff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
    Some crap acer.
    CPU
    Intel Duell-Core (2.33GHZ)
    Motherboard
    intel 4500M
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard.
    Hard Drives
    250GB standard
    Internet Speed
    20MB Virgin Media
    Other Info
    NEVER get a acer i swear.
Hopachi--I was not able to install because I am using a 3TB hard drive formatted GPT, which apparently cannot be an active partition. Any solutions?

Hi Cly,

No solid solution that I know for this one for the moment. Sorry.

Hopachi

Too bad. I was hoping to have a single eSATA drive that housed a whole bootable system. 2.2 TB wouldn't have been large enough.

It can work if your computer has UEFI, they say, but since I don't have that myself, I don't know for sure.

Did you fixed the problem with the copy to a wrong drive?
Just try to simply delete the folders (show hidden + system files) that were created in the copy process.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Native DVD playback is a feature is something many people I've come across have said it isn't used, in fact, they would opt to remove the DVD drive from their laptops and replace it with a hard drive and pop in a SSD where the hard drive was. They would do it if it wasn't too pricy. Also, I have yet to meet someone personally that I have done OS upgrades and installs for that has a large video collection of mp4s. Even then, if you do need that, VLC player or Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.

When you're able to drag things around, arrange them to your liking and have the options to pin to Start or Taskbar, remove things you don't need, it's faster than the start menu. It's a tedious thing to CONSTANTLY have to click open the menu, click to All Programs, and right click and click again to delete a folder or shortcut, times 15 intervals. Even more annoying is when the menu closes out after you have to click Yes to delete said files. In the Start Screen, that's cut in half.

I have a PC I'm working for a guy I know that wants Windows 8 with Office 2013 and Windows 7 and Office 2010 in dual boot. I've had to spend more time in 7 than 8 accomplishing the same tasks. In 8, I literally only have two things installed, Office 2013 and a Realtek audio driver. In 7, I have Office 2010 as well as a couple of utilities, AVG 2012, and a few other drivers that needed the third party manufacturer's drivers. Also should mention the time that it takes to configure software.

I've reverse the table, you seems to talk about Windows 8 as if it is ONLY used by people that have a plethora of software and manage all sorts of PCs and NOTHING else on it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
It can work if your computer has UEFI, they say, but since I don't have that myself, I don't know for sure.

Did you fixed the problem with the copy to a wrong drive?
Just try to simply delete the folders (show hidden + system files) that were created in the copy process.

I didn't pursue the UEFI thing because the point of WTG is to use it when I am on the road, so you need maximum compatibility. Also, all of the tutorials I could find rely on making the partition "active" which you can't do with GPT. I don't know what the workaround is. Also, this whole thing is probably short term because I don't know what will happen once the Windows 8 Preview period expires--will there be a way to install WTG using Windows 8 Pro rather than Enterprise or will activation prevent that?

When I tried to delete the Windows folders, I got a message saying you need super duper admin privileges. I plan on using the command "rd" in an elevated command prompt. Hopefully that will do the trick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W

Well installing the media center will bring back the full mpeg 4 and DVD playback functionality. Though rumor is that that will be something you have to pay for.

But also installing saw Power DVD or installing a codec pack like CCCP or Sharkey's will also bring it back. When use WMP Classic or other media player.

I have not tried installing any third party codec packs though, can;t say which one is guaranteed to work at this point.

(P.s. Though DVD and mpeg4 are mentioned together a lot, yes I know that DVDs use MPEG2 compression, not mpeg 4 but a LOT of stand alone movie files these days are mp4 files or h263/4 encoded AVIs etc....)

I am playing mp4 files in Windows 8 with no additional software. The mp4 files are produced by a Nikon DSLR. I forgot what encoding they have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
I've reverse the table, you seems to talk about Windows 8 as if it is ONLY used by people that have a plethora of software and manage all sorts of PCs and NOTHING else on it!

No, but only WE are the ones being punished by it...

It /could/ have satisfied both types equally, but it doesn't.

That is the very crux of the problem!

And the DVD stuff? I see people using their laptops as portable DVD players ALL THE TIME. I would bet that 10 times as many people use their DVD player than would want to get rid of it for a second HD. That's the same argument that MS used to remove the start menu and it's complete BS.

But WORSE than the removal of DVD playback is the removal of mpeg playback natively. Video playback has /always/ been a royal PITA for users and developers because there is nothing close to an actual, reliable, usable cross platform codec and container format until the widespread adoption of mpeg 4 AND it's native inclusion into OSes. We were headed towards video utopia with 7 and now it's gone in an instant with Windows 8.

Do you have any idea how "not right" it is to have a product that produces mpeg 4 files and then having to tell your customer to go download some shady (to them) program called "VLC" to play it back? So now EVERY video product vendor needs to write their own video player to be included with our software even though it's supposed to be a freaking world wide standard? Bloody hell...

I read an article about the new video work in Metro, the new video APIs and the MS developers were ultra gushing about their functionality etc. Only thing, the entire article was riddled with asterisks which at the bottom said "mpeg 4 playback only available with additional software" (Paraphrasing).

If it's not included by default on shipment or installable freely BY the developer then it is USELESS, virtually noone is going to have it installed. What are you going to say, "Oh, here buy my software for $30, but you need to buy media center for another $10 to use it even if you never want to use media center itself..." That is just all kinds of fail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
When I tried to delete the Windows folders, I got a message saying you need super duper admin privileges. I plan on using the command "rd" in an elevated command prompt. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I encountered this myself.
You can reboot from the Win7 / Win8 dvd and go to advanced / repair tools or something, then choose command prompt and it has all rights. Then you can delete any folder, be careful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
It's not our fault ...

When you're able to drag things around, arrange them to your liking and have the options to pin to Start or Taskbar, remove things you don't need, it's faster than the start menu. It's a tedious thing to CONSTANTLY have to click open the menu, click to All Programs, and right click and click again to delete a folder or shortcut, times 15 intervals. Even more annoying is when the menu closes out after you have to click Yes to delete said files. In the Start Screen, that's cut in half.

It's not our fault that you are doing it the hard way.

It's just like Sinofsky was doing on his blog (picking the worst case example to "prove" that Metro is "better").

if you only want to delete a few icons, the Metro Screen is faster.
Deleting a lot of icons (e.g. all of the MS Office icons) is a lot faster using the "Start Menu".

All you have to do is:

• Open the "Start Menu"
  • Right click on "All Programs"
  • Select "Open" and/or "Open All Users" from the context menu
  • Open the "Programs" folder
  • Select all of the folders and/or icons to be deleted (using the standard methods).
  • Delete them.
  • Done

Apparently no one ever rearranged their "Start Menu" folders and/or icons, so MS removed that ability in W7 (probably in Vista).
I suspect they justified that decision, by saying that their telemetry "proved" that no one ever did it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back