Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement

So, who watched the event today and what do you think?

It will be available for sale tomorrow. The starting price is $799. Microsoft deems this device as the tablet that can replace your laptop.

It’s a 12.1-inch tablet, utilizing a 3:2 aspect ratio at 2160x1440 resolution screen, using 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Generation Intel Core CPU’s (i3, i5 and i7). Web browsing battery life is around 9 hours. It’s around 30% thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air. The new kickstand is continuously adjustable. The device comes in at 1.7lbs. The stylus has been replaced now with a pen which provides a much improved drawing, writing and note-taking experience. If you have your device with you, and it’s off, a simple click on the end of the pen fires up the device into OneNote where you can jot down the thought that you just had.

The new type cover keyboard has a significantly larger and improved touchpad. The way the device clicks in and the new fold up edge hinge should alleviate a big problem I’ve always had with the Surface Pro and that’s the fact that it’s very hard to sit on your lap and work with. In the past, you really needed a flat table space area to use the device with.

The new pen and the extremely thin glass on the device should help greatly with writing. However, I’m still really bothered by the fact that the pen doesn’t seem to have a holder built into the surface pro itself…meaning it will be quite easy to set down somewhere and lose.

The device will have a microSD card reader and a USB 3.0 port.

A docking station will be available ($199) that includes the following
· 3 USB 3.0 ports
· 2 USB 2.0 ports
· Ethernet jack
· Audio outputs
· Mini Display port supporting 4k
· Charges the tablet.

Here is a link with a 5 minute video: Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop | The Verge

So, pricing looks like the following;
Core i3, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage - $799
Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage - $999
Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,299
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,549
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB storage - $1,949

The pen is $49, the type cover keyboard is $130 and the docking station is $199. So a full loaded model is $2,128.

i actually would go for the i3 or i5, for me the i7 is overkill
if the pricing for the i3 128gigs is over $1000 right now you can get an i3 for less than $500 with more memory and larger hd

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
i actually would go for the i3 or i5, for me the i7 is overkill
if the pricing for the i3 128gigs is over $1000 right now you can get an i3 for less than $500 with more memory and larger hd
But you won't get an SSD, you won't get all day battery life, it won't be less than 2lbs, it won't have a 2160x1440 resolution touchscreen with stylus/pen support, etc.

My kids have a Dell Inspiron 15 that was $500, it has a Core i3, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. But it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as my generation 1 Surface Pro 3, or any of my ultrabooks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I am convinced still that people just have no concept or clue of what all is in a Surface Pro.
They glaze right over the major capabilities, consider they don't need them and then trash the system and the concept,
and call it over priced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
For what i need it for, i do not need all those bells and whistles, and my clients do not them either

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Then if those of you have no need for it, I fail to see the relevance of many of the comments made.

Comparing Lemons with Crackers doesn't really hold any genuineness.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Everyone is entitled to an opionion here, you do not have to like it but you do have to respect it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Oh, don't worry I do. However, relevance should be expected as well should it not?

I mean, if you want to compare a device on the same level, then lets do that, but trying to compare a Surface Pro to something not even close to the same playing field is fairly disingenuous.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Very positive review > Surface Pro 3: A brilliant, quirky, nearly flawless laptop replacement | ZDNet. Also states 'the Surface Pro 3 isn’t for everyone' (although MS tries hard to believe the contrary), but nonetheless a very nice piece of engineering. But so is for example Lenovo Yoga and many others (with many more coming), with different packaging, screen and weight, up to anyone to choose what fits the bill and intended use.

MS Surface sales forcing Lenovo, Dell, Samsung etc into bankruptcy? I don't think so. Will the '3' fare better than the failed predecessors? Probably. So they are on the right track imo. And with the 'as long as it takes' (= as long as we've got money to [DEL]lose[/DEL] invest) policy + learning from mistakes, something good may come out of it all in the end.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
Very positive review > Surface Pro 3: A brilliant, quirky, nearly flawless laptop replacement | ZDNet. Also states 'the Surface Pro 3 isn’t for everyone' (although MS tries hard to believe the contrary), but nonetheless a very nice piece of engineering. But so is for example Lenovo Yoga and many others (with many more coming), with different packaging, screen and weight, up to anyone to choose what fits the bill and intended use.

MS Surface sales forcing Lenovo, Dell, Samsung etc into bankruptcy? I don't think so. Will the '3' fare better than the failed predecessors? Probably. So they are on the right track imo. And with the 'as long as it takes' (= as long as we've got money to [DEL]lose[/DEL] invest) policy + learning from mistakes, something good may come out of it all in the end.
I totally agree

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
I think Microsoft may be having an identity issue, I don't see this as a tablet. I see it more as a laptop. I have not seen the Pro 3 up close yet, but, I did debate getting a Surface Pro and decided against it. It just seemed to bulky, I hope this one has improved.

I also fail to see why they don't have cellular as an option.

I guess, if you have the bucks, this is a nice ultrabook. Maybe they should name it the "Clippy" after a clipboard (size matches) and their past Windows assistant.

So, is this what all new Surfaces will be? Are the Surface/Surface 2 and Surface Pro/Surface Pro 2 no longer going to be manufactured? I think, this is another Microsoft problem, to confusing, all essentially the same name, but completely different systems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Hi there

I think as has been said quite often in this thread - this device is a TOP END product aimed squarely at the I.T PRO / roving consultant / corporate market rather than the more usual type of "Home" or Hobbyist consumer. This type of market used to be called the "PROSUMER" market.

It will fill that niche very well -- already a load of businesses which were thinking of equipping people with iPad type devices realize that this device handles both the iPad type function AND a classical Laptop so their people only have to have ONE device instead of two as this works both as a tablet / iPad type device AND as fairly decent laptop - especially when attached to a docking station and decent external monitor(s).

Considering how portable this device will be (and for this you have to pay a premium anyway) I don't think the device is unreasonably priced either - especially for its intended market. - I.T "Free lances" and businesses can get capital allowances / tax breaks anyway so that makes the device cheaper.

I always have to laugh when even before the SPECS have been printed how many people say the device will be an abject failure. The press so far has given fairly favourable responses so far. Things like expensive keyboards actually don't have to be used either - any USB / Bluetooth one will do.

I for one will probably buy one of these -- if you've ever travelled by plane these days taking even a small laptop in "Cattle Class" is still a major pain.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

I think as has been said quite often in this thread - this device is a TOP END product aimed squarely at the I.T PRO / roving consultant / corporate market rather than the more usual type of "Home" or Hobbyist consumer. This type of market used to be called the "PROSUMER" market.

It will fill that niche very well -- already a load of businesses which were thinking of equipping people with iPad type devices realize that this device handles both the iPad type function AND a classical Laptop so their people only have to have ONE device instead of two as this works both as a tablet / iPad type device AND as fairly decent laptop - especially when attached to a docking station and decent external monitor(s).

Considering how portable this device will be (and for this you have to pay a premium anyway) I don't think the device is unreasonably priced either - especially for its intended market. - I.T "Free lances" and businesses can get capital allowances / tax breaks anyway so that makes the device cheaper.

I always have to laugh when even before the SPECS have been printed how many people say the device will be an abject failure. The press so far has given fairly favourable responses so far. Things like expensive keyboards actually don't have to be used either - any USB / Bluetooth one will do.

I for one will probably buy one of these -- if you've ever travelled by plane these days taking even a small laptop in "Cattle Class" is still a major pain.

Cheers
jimbo

I agree, it is a nice piece of work...

But again, will MS continue to make Surface/Surface 2 and Surface Pro/Surface Pro 2 ? ... or are they being phased out?

You go to the MS store and it only offers a Surface 2 (RT) and the Surface Pro 3

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
For what i need it for, i do not need all those bells and whistles, and my clients do not them either
That's fair enough, but I would argue that just because something has more features and functionality than you need, doesn't necessarily mean the device is overpriced. It's all about tradeoffs, for more money you can get more. For less money, you get loss. For less money, you can get less performance. With lesser performance means you can increase storage. But you cannot really compare a $500 laptop to the hardware in a Surface Pro 3. They simply aren't comparable. If you don't need the power and the performance of the surface pro 3, you can simply say it's more machine than I need.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Hi there
I've just "Pre-Ordered" mine -- gone for the full blown I7 version.

(Not sure what "Pre-ordered" means - native Eng speakers ?? you either ORDER something or don't order it -- what's "Pre-order" !!!)

Anyway looking forward to getting it ASAP -- probably in about 8 weeks time -- can't wait. I've ordered the docking station too.

I've got a decent powered USB3 4 port hub so I'm glad the Surface Pro 3 has a PROPER USB3 port.

Will post back when I've played with it. - I've got TechNet still until Oct so probably will install the W8.1 update 1 ENTERPRISE version on it.

I'm hoping that this will replace my laptop - I rarely use a desktop now either - I'll just convert the desktop into a multimedia and file / print server - doesn't need to do anything else.

The deal maker for me was NATIVE USB 3 PORT (even now a load of laptops STILL don't have even ONE USB 3 port) and the fantastic video resolution -- laptops even now usually have a native screen resolution of only 768 X 1366 -- even my mobile phone has better than that !!! -- and of course the sheer portability of the device.

It's expensive I know but I haven't bought any "boys toys" for a couple of years now so what's wrong with an early xmas prezzie !!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
A pre-order is usually a situation where you put a few bucks down at the start to show your intent and to guarantee that it will be available for you when it releases.

Technically I think you can cancel a pre-order with no penalties if your circumstances or interest changes.

It's simply called a pre-order when it is for a product that doesn't actually exist to ship to you at the current time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Good for you, Jumbo! Absolutely nothing wrong with an early Christmas present. Besides, you deserve it in your semi-retirement. I'm sure you worked hard for it.

Did you get a cover? If so, which one? What color did you get? I'm guessing black which is more business like. USB3 backing up or even saving files will work out nicely. Personally I'd save everything on a thumb and backup to the cloud in case of loss, damage, or theft. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

Parks is correct on preorder. Probably U.S. law and other countries regulating that one cannot legally fully order a product that's not officially released, so one shows intent. In preordering my Nokia Lumia 1520 through my MS account which holds my card number I "pledged" $35USD toward it. It's not that they withdraw it from my account, but rather I pledge to have at least that in the account. So much for technicalities.

Thought this rather odd on a Google-owned. I had to search for a video on YouTube this morning and this was the #1 recommended video. With mobile anyway. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luzVREc9OQE

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there
I've just "Pre-Ordered" mine -- gone for the full blown I7 version.

Cheers
jimbo

What a co-inkydink, I just pre-cancelled mine...!!:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU