Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement

So, who watched the event today and what do you think?

It will be available for sale tomorrow. The starting price is $799. Microsoft deems this device as the tablet that can replace your laptop.

It’s a 12.1-inch tablet, utilizing a 3:2 aspect ratio at 2160x1440 resolution screen, using 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Generation Intel Core CPU’s (i3, i5 and i7). Web browsing battery life is around 9 hours. It’s around 30% thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air. The new kickstand is continuously adjustable. The device comes in at 1.7lbs. The stylus has been replaced now with a pen which provides a much improved drawing, writing and note-taking experience. If you have your device with you, and it’s off, a simple click on the end of the pen fires up the device into OneNote where you can jot down the thought that you just had.

The new type cover keyboard has a significantly larger and improved touchpad. The way the device clicks in and the new fold up edge hinge should alleviate a big problem I’ve always had with the Surface Pro and that’s the fact that it’s very hard to sit on your lap and work with. In the past, you really needed a flat table space area to use the device with.

The new pen and the extremely thin glass on the device should help greatly with writing. However, I’m still really bothered by the fact that the pen doesn’t seem to have a holder built into the surface pro itself…meaning it will be quite easy to set down somewhere and lose.

The device will have a microSD card reader and a USB 3.0 port.

A docking station will be available ($199) that includes the following
· 3 USB 3.0 ports
· 2 USB 2.0 ports
· Ethernet jack
· Audio outputs
· Mini Display port supporting 4k
· Charges the tablet.

Here is a link with a 5 minute video: Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop | The Verge

So, pricing looks like the following;
Core i3, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage - $799
Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage - $999
Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,299
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,549
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB storage - $1,949

The pen is $49, the type cover keyboard is $130 and the docking station is $199. So a full loaded model is $2,128.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
To just completely detract this thread, someone found out that ios 8 has code for the EXACT same multitasking setup Windows 8.1 has. It is expected to be either released at official launch or even as ios 8.1. How bloody ironic.

This is why we use Surface Pros and Windows. Because apparently, Microsoft's doing everything first now. What a world we live in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Apple hasn't released said feature as they want to make it intuitive. Running 2 apps isn't revolutionary, computers have done it forever. I wouldn't consider this copying what other tablets do, I would say it's making tablets do what people have done with computers for years. And considering the surface pro is more like a computer than a tablet, I would expect nothing less.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
yeah naaaaa. I find those prices ridiculous.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    0i812
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4770K LGA1150
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VI Formula
    Memory
    Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 CMY32GX3M4A1866C9 1866MH
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x Crappy GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    I haz lollies ..
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x LG / 2 x Samsung 21 Inch
    Screen Resolution
    Crispy
    Hard Drives
    2 x Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO (OS / Other)
    1 x Kingston 120G HyperX SSD (Swap)
    3 x Seagate SATA III 2TB Barracuda (Data Drives)
    1 x Seagate SATA III 1TB Barracuda (Media to XBox)
    1 x W/Digital SATA II 300G VelociRaptor (Image)
    PSU
    Silverstone 1500w
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 820 White Full Tower
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    Logitech G700 / Logitech T650 Touchpad Thingy
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 2+ (Australian version ... lol)
    Browser
    All of them
    Antivirus
    Nortons IS
    Other Info
    This one time at band camp ...
Hi there.

There doesn't seem to be any reason from the spec as to why one couldn't install Linux or any other OS running on an INTEL platform if you want to.

The OS isn't as a lot of people seem to think hard wired into the BIOS but boots from the internal SSD. The only problem *might* be if the tablet BIOS won't allow protected boot to be disabled -- which I don't think it would -- if you couldn't disable protected boot it would mean you couldn't boot stand alone backup programs etc.

So the "being forced into the "Windows eco system" is no more valid for this device as it is for any other Intel based PC.

Prices IMO are also no worse (or actually slightly better) than APPLE's for this type of hardware -- and you always pay a premium for ultra miniaturisation / portability.

Remember also the target market is aimed at working Pros rather than casual home users / hobbyists. A lot of working pros will have equipment provided for them by their workplace / or at least some part of it will be subsidized plus of course you can get some tax relief also on capital allowances etc if you are running a business / free lance consultant.

That's not to say that we would PREFER cheaper prices -- I could say the same about Real estate, Ferrari's, and a whole host of other things. If the device doesn't sell at the price point then discounts might be available but from what I can see a lot of my colleagues (most of whom have NEVER considered a tablet) are certainly looking with interest at this device.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there.

There doesn't seem to be any reason from the spec as to why one couldn't install Linux or any other OS running on an INTEL platform if you want to.

The OS isn't as a lot of people seem to think hard wired into the BIOS but boots from the internal SSD. The only problem *might* be if the tablet BIOS won't allow protected boot to be disabled -- which I don't think it would -- if you couldn't disable protected boot it would mean you couldn't boot stand alone backup programs etc.

So the "being forced into the "Windows eco system" is no more valid for this device as it is for any other Intel based PC.

Prices IMO are also no worse (or actually slightly better) than APPLE's for this type of hardware -- and you always pay a premium for ultra miniaturisation / portability.

Remember also the target market is aimed at working Pros rather than casual home users / hobbyists. A lot of working pros will have equipment provided for them by their workplace / or at least some part of it will be subsidized plus of course you can get some tax relief also on capital allowances etc if you are running a business / free lance consultant.

That's not to say that we would PREFER cheaper prices -- I could say the same about Real estate, Ferrari's, and a whole host of other things. If the device doesn't sell at the price point then discounts might be available but from what I can see a lot of my colleagues (most of whom have NEVER considered a tablet) are certainly looking with interest at this device.

Cheers
jimbo

My only problem with your logic is that Microsoft is selling the Surface 3 as a laptop replacement, when it is sized more as a netbook replacement. Granted, the i7 would be like putting a 700cc engine on a moped. Yea it's fast as crap, but it's still a moped. Inches matters when it comes to screen size. a 13 inch minimum, to match Mac's smallest laptop, would have made more sense. Maybe it's the weight issue, but for me, if it is a laptop replacement, I will take the additional ounces for the larger screen.

I would not pay the money for a Mac, but equally I wouldn't for the Surface either, especially with cheaper well built Windows options. I personally just wish Microsoft would build smaller form factors to encourage more development of Modern UI apps. These apps lag very far behind their siblings on Android and Apple. It isn't just an age issue. If you look at the upgrade efforts of apps, Windows lags far behind. I know because I track my Android app updates and my Modern UI updates for those same apps. As long as there isn't the hardware to drive the demand for Modern UI, it will flounder as developers focus where the users are in this space, and today the users are on Android, for great cheap small form factor hardware, and Apple, which is for now the standard from which all this is built.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
People are flocking to tablets from desktops and laptops. Many only needing the internet for social media, email, and videos anymore.

MS positions this as a laptop replacement because it's not going to replace netbooks that people own, it will replace their laptops. And it's smaller size allows them to take it with them, even easier than with a laptop. For those who want to really work, they will dock and use a second monitor.

I still like laptop and will continue using one. Easier to type on while sitting on your lap. Although surface pro 3 is better in that respect, it doesn't have the same rigidity of a laptop. But I love the pen aspect, that is certainly something lacking in all laptops I have used.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Hi there
The "Tablet" analogy just doesn't wash -- with a docking station you can attach a WHOLE SLEW of peripherals including a whopping 60 inch monitor if you want plus any type of external keyboard.

Why couldn't this be used as a decent laptop alternative -- with an SSD, 8GB RAM and an i7 processor it would run RINGS around most of the currently available laptops -- and have infinitely better graphics too -- however some people will never read the specs and just have no clue about the possibilities this device has.

Added to which -- those who compare this with a Netbook of any kind are just displaying such a pitiful ignorance of the subject that it really is hardly worth while even to BOTHER making any intelligent replies.

I KNOW that for a lot of travelling working pros this device WILL work - and work very well too and if you still think it's expensive it's HUGELY cheaper than having to buy a DECENT laptop AND an iPad. !!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
yeah naaaaa. I find those prices ridiculous.
More than fair for the hardware. Right in line with the Apple MacBook Pro prices, right in line with the PC ultrabooks. You get anywhere near the specs that the Surface Pro 3 has, you are in this price range.

Unfortunately, there aren't any value options. Just like Apple. There are no lower end, lower performance, bargain machines.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen. As I said in mine previous post, a moped with a 700cc engine. Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money. Maybe I'm wrong and the high end crowd will thing this is the best things since popcorn, I hope so. Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet. Supports Bluetooth keyboards and mice, I have access to OneDrive still, and I can swap my Micro-HD out of my camera and into the tablet to upload photos/video to OneDrive, or wherever. For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop. As for the specs overall. 512GB SSDs can now be had for around 250 bucks (Samsung), RAM is just plain cheap, I7 Processors do depend on version. Of course, there is the advantage of some dude trying to sit with his legs together so he can try and type with it using the keyboard and kick stand, classic.(Honestly, worst demo ever. All I could think was, dude, you have no balls.)

Sorry for all the Surface 3 hate. I'm just amazed Microsoft doesn't try to put out some main stream, as in less expensive hardware. I've owned two previous surface machines. They are good quality, but in the end I returned them because I felt like, for the money, I could do better. At least unlike Apple, nobody has to buy a Surface to use Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen. As I said in mine previous post, a moped with a 700cc engine. Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money. Maybe I'm wrong and the high end crowd will thing this is the best things since popcorn, I hope so. Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet. Supports Bluetooth keyboards and mice, I have access to OneDrive still, and I can swap my Micro-HD out of my camera and into the tablet to upload photos/video to OneDrive, or wherever. For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop. As for the specs overall. 512GB SSDs can now be had for around 250 bucks (Samsung), RAM is just plain cheap, I7 Processors do depend on version. Of course, there is the advantage of some dude trying to sit with his legs together so he can try and type with it using the keyboard and kick stand, classic.(Honestly, worst demo ever. All I could think was, dude, you have no balls.)

Sorry for all the Surface 3 hate. I'm just amazed Microsoft doesn't try to put out some main stream, as in less expensive hardware. I've owned two previous surface machines. They are good quality, but in the end I returned them because I felt like, for the money, I could do better. At least unlike Apple, nobody has to buy a Surface to use Windows.
Point nicely made.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.3-3.7 Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Security Premium
I don't understand why people complain about price. There are tons of devices out there. Get what you want.

Are you going to go to Range Rover and complain about their prices vs. a Kia SUV? No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. It's an option. And for me, it's absolutely the lightest and fastest ultrabook there is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Not complaining, just astonished! ;)

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home

Point nicely made.

View attachment 44789

I paid less than that for my car!!! :confused:

Please show me a lesser priced device with same processor, ram, storage, features, under 2lbs. for less cost.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC

Please show me a lesser priced device with same processor, ram, storage, features, under 2lbs. for less cost.

I can't! :)
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one but my gf won't let me! :D

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Hi there.

Cheers
jimbo

My only problem with your logic is that Microsoft is selling the Surface 3 as a laptop replacement, when it is sized more as a netbook replacement. Granted, the i7 would be like putting a 700cc engine on a moped. Yea it's fast as crap, but it's still a moped. Inches matters when it comes to screen size. a 13 inch minimum, to match Mac's smallest laptop, would have made more sense. Maybe it's the weight issue, but for me, if it is a laptop replacement, I will take the additional ounces for the larger screen.

I would not pay the money for a Mac, but equally I wouldn't for the Surface either, especially with cheaper well built Windows options. I personally just wish Microsoft would build smaller form factors to encourage more development of Modern UI apps. These apps lag very far behind their siblings on Android and Apple. It isn't just an age issue. If you look at the upgrade efforts of apps, Windows lags far behind. I know because I track my Android app updates and my Modern UI updates for those same apps. As long as there isn't the hardware to drive the demand for Modern UI, it will flounder as developers focus where the users are in this space, and today the users are on Android, for great cheap small form factor hardware, and Apple, which is for now the standard from which all this is built.

This app development lags because it's new. We've all gone down this road before. Comparing a premature app store to a fully matured one is just irrelevant unless you have to have certain apps and you don't want further development to occur.

You have to be the one using the Modern apps and platform for developers to notice it's being used. Don't go dogging something without fully accessing the reason why the situation exists.

Contrary to a lot of beliefs, the Windows and Windows Phone 8 app store is the fastest growing of any os. Take that in for a minute and try to direct the blame somewhere it's more deserved like the many companies that refuse to develop certain apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen.
But many people like portability and the 7.9" and 10.1" iPad's all sell really well. A tablet form factor with a 13.1"+ screen is just going to be too big for most people. At least for those who want to carry the device around in their purse. For these people, a laptop is going to continue to be the go-to device. Some people look at my 13.1" MacBook Pro Screen and my wife's 13.1" Samsung Series 7 Ultra Windows 8 screen and they feel they are too small...they want at least 15 inch screens. So, there will continue to be devices for these people, they are just going to be called laptops.

Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money.
. Really???? Find me a Core i5 laptop, with 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, with a resolution approaching 2160x1440, with 9 hours of battery life and around 2-3lbs for less than $1299. It's going to be hard. I bought a MacBook Pro like that for home and it was $1499 and doesn't have a touchscreen. And I buy Dell Latitude e7440's for work that weight about 3.7lbs and have very similar specs and they are $1700.

Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet.
Yeah, if you don't require the portability, these devices make no sense. And sure the Android tablet is just fine, for what it is, I'm sure it's a great deal. But if you are a professional photographer and take your gear out on photoshoots, something like the Surface Pro 3 that can run photoshop is going to be much better fit. For an IT guy like me, who needs to be able to VPN in, run the Microsoft RDP client, potentially run Microsoft Dynamics which requires IE...an Android tablet or Apple tablet simply won't cut it. But the Surface Pro 3 could do it.

For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop.
But they you have to lug the heavy thing around, you have to stay near a power source because it will eat the battery alive and you will need a suitcase to carry it in.

I'm not completely convinced the surface is going to do very well, although I hope it does. I share many of your same concerns. I wouldn't call your viewpoint hate, it seems very well thought out.

As far as Apple goes, I get the feeling you aren't an Apple fan. I bought my very first Apple product a few months ago, a 13.1" MacBooK Pro 8GB/256GB. It was about $1400. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase. The gesture support is great, it's ability to go to sleep and wake from sleep instantly is the #1 thing I use, it lasts all day, it charges quickly, it offers ports and expandability, it has a PCI-Express based SSD which cranks over 700MB/sec, reloading the OS is a breeze with no need for keys or activation, malware and viruses aren't much of a concern at all. For me personally, the Apple was just a learning experience. I've used Android, I've used Surfaces', I've built and supported hundreds of Windows 7/8 laptops...I was just looking for something different. I'm in no way saying I will never use Windows again, and I'm not going to be moving 100% to Apple either...but I like that computer quite a bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

Agreed. People tell me that they can get a laptop for a whole lot less than that. But they aren't getting an equivalent machine. I got my kids a $500 Dell Inspiron 15" laptop with Windows 8 and a touchscreen. It's a good computer, "for them". But my work Windows 8 laptop and my personal MacBook Pro will demolish it performance wise. Less weight, more power, more ram, faster hard drive, better screen resolution, better battery life, more ports, etc. When you consider the whole she-bang, the Surface Pro 3 is priced right. It's just not a bargain tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back