Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement

So, who watched the event today and what do you think?

It will be available for sale tomorrow. The starting price is $799. Microsoft deems this device as the tablet that can replace your laptop.

It’s a 12.1-inch tablet, utilizing a 3:2 aspect ratio at 2160x1440 resolution screen, using 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Generation Intel Core CPU’s (i3, i5 and i7). Web browsing battery life is around 9 hours. It’s around 30% thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air. The new kickstand is continuously adjustable. The device comes in at 1.7lbs. The stylus has been replaced now with a pen which provides a much improved drawing, writing and note-taking experience. If you have your device with you, and it’s off, a simple click on the end of the pen fires up the device into OneNote where you can jot down the thought that you just had.

The new type cover keyboard has a significantly larger and improved touchpad. The way the device clicks in and the new fold up edge hinge should alleviate a big problem I’ve always had with the Surface Pro and that’s the fact that it’s very hard to sit on your lap and work with. In the past, you really needed a flat table space area to use the device with.

The new pen and the extremely thin glass on the device should help greatly with writing. However, I’m still really bothered by the fact that the pen doesn’t seem to have a holder built into the surface pro itself…meaning it will be quite easy to set down somewhere and lose.

The device will have a microSD card reader and a USB 3.0 port.

A docking station will be available ($199) that includes the following
· 3 USB 3.0 ports
· 2 USB 2.0 ports
· Ethernet jack
· Audio outputs
· Mini Display port supporting 4k
· Charges the tablet.

Here is a link with a 5 minute video: Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop | The Verge

So, pricing looks like the following;
Core i3, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage - $799
Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage - $999
Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,299
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,549
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB storage - $1,949

The pen is $49, the type cover keyboard is $130 and the docking station is $199. So a full loaded model is $2,128.

^ I only mentioned the mini-ultrabook because people keep throwing around the thoughts of
#1). Tablets are toys
#2). It's too expensive for a tablet
#3). I'd rather have a laptop, (real computer), over a tablet.

But these are full fledged computers in a very small form factor that is completely portable. Sure, they aren't desktop computers with expandability but then neither are laptops...especially modern day ultrabooks that are becoming less and less user serviceable.

The Generation 1 Surface Pro that I have, 128GB was purchased in August of 2013, so less than i year ago. It was $999, and with the $129.00 type cover, it came out to 1,196.73 with tax. So, I don't see the price as being ridiculous compared to the previous generations.

The upcoming Asus T200 with Bay Trail looks like a better deal to me unless you somehow like the new 3:2 aspect ratio of the Surface 3, need the power of a i3/i5/i7 plus 4GB ram on a 12" Windows tablet/laptop or just like Microsoft's products.
From what I have read, the T200 is going to be in the $500-$700 range, and will be a rather low performance Bay Trail budget CPU, with 2GB of RAM, with 64GB of slow storage. I don't see that being a great deal. A coworker of mine bought a lower end Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet and it SOOOOOOOO SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW compared to my Surface Pro that it's not enjoyable to use in the least.

I see you have to the dark side and accepted that Windows tablets are superior... :D
Remember, i have a Microsoft Surface Pro Gen 1, but yet i'm sitting here responding on my MacBook Pro. While I have high hopes for the Surface Pro 3, there is very little chance that I will actually purchase one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
At $350 less than the Surface Pro 3 (assuming the price above is about correct) for a slightly smaller Windows 8.1 tablet with lower resolution screen, a Atom Bay Trail processor, 2GB ram, 64GB storage, a included keyboard dock with touchpad and very likely Office 2013 Home bundled; I think the T200 is going to be hard to pass up for anyone looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet and do not want to break the bank especially the way the economy is right now.
And like my friend discovered with his lower cost, lower powered Intel Thinkpad....the performance of Windows 8.x on slow hardware with slow drives and low amounts of system memory are less than awesome to work with. Watching his plod away through Windows update was just painful. The Surface Pro Gen 1 trounced it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
At $350 less than the Surface Pro 3 (assuming the price above is about correct) for a slightly smaller Windows 8.1 tablet with lower resolution screen, a Atom Bay Trail processor, 2GB ram, 64GB storage, a included keyboard dock with touchpad and very likely Office 2013 Home bundled; I think the T200 is going to be hard to pass up for anyone looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet and do not want to break the bank especially the way the economy is right now.
And like my friend discovered with his lower cost, lower powered Intel Thinkpad....the performance of Windows 8.x on slow hardware with slow drives and low amounts of system memory are less than awesome to work with. Watching his plod away through Windows update was just painful. The Surface Pro Gen 1 trounced it.

Hi there

Agreed absolutely,

All these people pushing things like the ATOM processor with cheaper hardware really ought to try WORKING with that hardware.

I mentioned in a previous thread that in all my years of working with computer, from TSO on IBM Mainframes in the late 1970's to todays PC's the most frustrating thing is to have slow response time (and poor graphics). I remember the older terminal emulation (IBM 3270) on a PC and you could see the screen being repainted every time you sent a request back to the TSO system (Time Sharing Option) on the IBM machine.

I need this device to perform at least as acceptably good as what I'm using now (and preferably better) -- and by all accounts this piece of kit performs the job admirably. The more I read about this device the more likely I am to get it (my first real foray into "The tablet world").

If I can use this at work sensibly with a decent external monitor and providing the USB3 works at SENSIBLE speed (a lot of current USB3 hardware is hobbled by the SLOW BUS speed on some computer MOBOS) then this might really replace my Laptop too.

At least with the 8GB internal RAM (would have liked 16 but 8GB is OK for a portable device) I should also be able to run a W7 VM on it too.

Price isn't everything so long as it's payable by its intended target market. I reckon using one of these at work it won't be long before many other do to.

Ms really has a Winner here --BTW I believe I also added in a previous post in this thread how to easily construct a better Holder for having the screen in a vertical position

- @PParks1 - I'll add a little hole at the side for fixing the pen too -- as you say you don't want to easily lose a 50 USD pen. If you've ever done Photography with decent DSLR's you know how easily Lens Caps can be put down and lost !!!!

For UK users looks like it will be available around Late AUG, Haven't seen any other European sites where it might be available earlier -- trouble with say buying in Germany or Holland you get the German / Dutch version of Windows -- although I DO speak both those languages (or Flemish rather than Dutch -- dialect --work in Belgium a lot) I would really like the ENGLISH version of Windows. Keyboards are easy to change anyway so that's not an issue. Still my TechNet subscription lasts until October so I might install the Windows 8.1 Enterprise version -- fortunately still available as an ISO).

Surface Pro 3 - Microsoft Store United Kingdom Online Store###

(@nemix -- you don't have to spend the 130 USD on an external keyboard -- there's enough ports on this thing - especially with the docking station for you to plug in just any old cheapo keyboard - wireless or not - or even a small Blue tooth one).

I find the small portable Ms ARC keyboard very OK even for DESKTOP use -- costs nothing like 130 USD -- more like 30 !!! and you can get VERY cheap keyboards anyway now).

cheers
jimbo

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Definitely not for me. I got my Toshiba for $640 with a 4th Gen Core i5, 6 GB RAM and a 750 GB HDD. 16:9 screen at 1920*1080. It kicks the crap out of that thing all around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.3-3.7 Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Security Premium
Definitely not for me. I got my Toshiba for $640 with a 4th Gen Core i5, 6 GB RAM and a 750 GB HDD. 16:9 screen at 1920*1080. It kicks the crap out of that thing all around.

That's fine -- this device isn't for everybody but if you want the lightest portable PROPER computing device in a TINY footprint this will really appeal to its target market.

I don't know when the last time you got on a plane was --The seats seem to have less and less space these days -- I almost can't use "Cattle" class any more and even in business the seats seem cramped together more than they used to be (and it's not because I've got fatter / larger --I'm actually much slimmer than I was 5 years ago !!!).

Even thinking of using a standard laptop on these planes is out of the question especially with 15 - 17 inch screens -- A surface pro would easily work and with 8 hr battery life would survive use on a flight say between London and Los Angeles. (approx. 10 hr flight - but you wouldn't use the laptop for 100% of the time).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
... the lightest portable PROPER computing device in a TINY footprint this will really appeal to its target market.
Cheers
jimbo

Yanno, on this particular point I wholly agree. I guess the only question that remains is how big that market truly is. I'm sure it'll be interesting to see.

Seinfeld
Rick

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

And for me, the standard hard drive over the SSD is an absolute, "no thanks, I'll pass". How is the handwriting support on your Toshiba? And do you get over 8 hours of battery life? And I bet your Toshiba weighs at LEAST 2.5x as much. Maybe these things are irrelevant to you, but I wouldn't support saying your device universally kicks the crap out of the surface 3.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

And for me, the standard hard drive over the SSD is an absolute, "no thanks, I'll pass". How is the handwriting support on your Toshiba? And do you get over 8 hours of battery life? And I bet your Toshiba weighs at LEAST 2.5x as much. Maybe these things are irrelevant to you, but I wouldn't support saying your device universally kicks the crap out of the surface 3.
Sure, it weighs more. But only 4.5 lbs. Its an ultrabook, so its pretty light. It boots up fast enough for me even with a standard HDD. SSD are much faster, no debate about that. However, in comparison to a HDD their number of write cycles is extremely limited especially when it comes to an NTFS file system. Sleep it instead of shutting down, and it comes up quick anyway. Mine mostly stays at home, so weight and space are not a big deal anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus

Sure, it weighs more. But only 4.5 lbs. Its an ultrabook, so its pretty light. It boots up fast enough for me even with a standard HDD. SSD are much faster, no debate about that. However, in comparison to a HDD their number of write cycles is extremely limited especially when it comes to an NTFS file system. Sleep it instead of shutting down, and it comes up quick anyway. Mine mostly stays at home, so weight and space are not a big deal anyway.

Ok, this is a bit ridiculous. By your reasoning, my desktop setup kicks the crap out of your laptop.

You obviously don't need an ultraportable. What you have is a compromised desktop replacement.

We are looking for a compromised desktop, laptop, and tablet replacement. And in that, it excels exceptionally.

There is no comparison.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Bite me. All I did was state my opinion on the subject and you cop an attitude with me. I have no respect for people like you. Im talking about my usage when it comes to a computer. For my usage model the laptop is far and away superior because it can be taken most places and is far more cost effective than the surface.

No, you know what, I've already given you far too much time. You arent worth it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus
I am fully convinced that many of you just have no clue what you get from a Surface Pro.
It is far more than just a tablet.

I would love to see them a bit cheaper,, sure, who doesn't?
But understanding why the price is what it is, is important.

Just because someone thinks it is too expensive, does not mean it is overpriced.
iPads are highly overpriced, to say anything different is disingenuous.

The Macbook Air by comparison is also overpriced.
But, realize, that their OS Cost is fully rolled into the price of their systems.
So, by that token, they are probably about on par.
If you could legally build your own PC and install OSX on it,
Apple would then become a software only company, and you would see that OSX would
cost as much as Windows OS, if not more.

Just understand, that you are getting what you pay for in a Surface Pro, no matter what you might wish to believe.

Buy the new 12-inch Surface Pro 3 - Microsoft Store

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I am fully convinced that many of you just have no clue what you get from a Surface Pro.
It is far more than just a tablet.

I would love to see them a bit cheaper,, sure, who doesn't?
But understanding why the price is what it is, is important.

Just because someone thinks it is too expensive, does not mean it is overpriced.
iPads are highly overpriced, to say anything different is disingenuous.

The Macbook Air by comparison is also overpriced.
But, realize, that their OS Cost is fully rolled into the price of their systems.
So, by that token, they are probably about on par.
If you could legally build your own PC and install OSX on it,
Apple would then become a software only company, and you would see that OSX would
cost as much as Windows OS, if not more.

Just understand, that you are getting what you pay for in a Surface Pro, no matter what you might wish to believe.

Buy the new 12-inch Surface Pro 3 - Microsoft Store

Now that I think about it, someone has to install OS X on this thing. Imagine this thing having OS X and Windows with touch capabilities? But then again OS X doesn't have a touch keyboard. Darn. But I believe this is possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 430M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
Bite me. All I did was state my opinion on the subject and you cop an attitude with me. I have no respect for people like you. Im talking about my usage when it comes to a computer. For my usage model the laptop is far and away superior because it can be taken most places and is far more cost effective than the surface.

No, you know what, I've already given you far too much time. You arent worth it.

LOL!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC

C'mon guys.

As the Brits say "Horses for Courses".

The weight / bulk / size of a laptop might not be suitable in some places where extreme portability and a reasonable compute power is required -- for this type of form factor you usually have to pay a premium -- sometimes quite hefty too. I remember when the first ultra small 2.5 inch TV sets came out years ago -- these cost many times the price of standard sets and were Black and White only but still sold in droves.

For its INTENDED market this device will be very popular indeed -- maybe ACER or others will come out with a cheaper clone -- we shall see - but obviously it won't suit everybody.

I've been a HUGE tablet hater - especially the 7 inch size - but this device IMO for a lot of people could quite easily replace a Laptop - especially the i5 / i7 models. No lack of compute power there either and a far better screen resolution than is available on most laptop displays (Macbooks excepted here of course - their displays have always been first class but also at a hefty premium too).

What the point of the thread is - and people are missing this in its entirety is that NOW this type of "convertible" is available to do tasks that previously would have needed a standard Laptop or desktop, do them well and in an ultra small and highly portable form factor.

Now whether this floats your boat or not is up to you. I for one think in spite of the price tag this will be a hugely popular device amongst working IT professionals, roving / external consultants and management types.

For home gamers and hobbyists probably not but that's not the market its aimed at.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Sadly there is an element here that for reasons known only to themselves trumpet all things microsoft as if they were the second coming of the Lord. Some of course are worse than others, and some it's best to just write them off altogether as....................(you can fill in the blanks, as board rules would prevent me from doing so)

Frankly, your last line pretty much nailed it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
However, in comparison to a HDD their number of write cycles is extremely limited especially when it comes to an NTFS file system.
The write cycle debate of SSD's is so exaggerated. Is it limited, "absolutely". Will any of us own a device long enough with the same SSD to ever experience the problem? I bet there isn't a single one of us on this forum who will EVER hit that limit, EVER.

Mine mostly stays at home, so weight and space are not a big deal anyway.
Different tool for different tasks. That's what it boils down to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
However, in comparison to a HDD their number of write cycles is extremely limited especially when it comes to an NTFS file system.
The write cycle debate of SSD's is so exaggerated. Is it limited, "absolutely". Will any of us own a device long enough with the same SSD to ever experience the problem? I bet there isn't a single one of us on this forum who will EVER hit that limit, EVER.

While this is likely true, I'm still wary. Ive worn out multiple flash drives from multiple vendors by formatting them to the NTFS file system. They use the same memory as SSDs. Ive never worn out a flash drive that I have left formatted to the FAT32 file system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus
So the screen is 3:2, hmmm... I'm good with that.

4-3.png 3-2.png 16-9.png

Doesn't look that bad compared to the other formats.
A little good from here, a little bad from there.

Good that nobody did the 5:4 or the 1:1 as tablet formats, but you'll never know. :think:

First of all, there are lovers and there are haters, for a large monitor 16:9 goes best BUT not for a tablet-device that will look kinda long. I don't know, a phone goes in 16/9 but the tablet becomes a surfing-board (when you literally 'surf' the web)

surfboard.jpg

Nah, maybe I was looking from the wrong angle... sometimes 16:9 is ideal for the usage, to get a lot of stuff on the screen width.

The Ipad has 4:3, the screen isn't too good for movies because you get the black-bars.

So MS thought something in between has to do the trick.... we just have to see some demos first, good or bad.

To start 3/2 = 1.5 is a pretty nice ratio.

For 16:9 you have the pure 16/9 screens but also some very close enough ones like 1360x768 and 1366x768 that don't follow the perfect ratio entirely, but ok we don't need to look a sub-atomic level for this: they are 16:9.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
More on the subject of flash vs. spinners > Drop both and let us know how it goes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

While this is likely true, I'm still wary. Ive worn out multiple flash drives from multiple vendors by formatting them to the NTFS file system. They use the same memory as SSDs. Ive never worn out a flash drive that I have left formatted to the FAT32 file system.
Well, never happened to me. I've been working professional in IT since 1997.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back