• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
How to Reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10 ..including Server
Windows 7 users go: Here

warning   Warning
Microsoft no longer supports Windows Mail, aka WinMail. It's recommended you use what is supported by Microsoft, or another well known supported email client. Using WinMail on Win8 or especially Win10 is not supported, and is a special per-user decision who understands completely that reactivating WinMail is for Advanced users who importantly have the Technical Ability to make the changes, have backups of everything including your OS, and to be your own tech support for WinMail going forward. If you decide to complete this tutorial you accept the fact that you are using WinMail as-is. It might be necessary to uninstall other email clients to resolve any WinMail conflicts in some environments. Understand it's likely that new OS updates from Microsoft will break WinMail's operation, and to fix make it necessary to rerun the tutorial again to reinstate it. With those things in mind, this tutorial was written so that you can rerun it without affecting WinMail user data. Please see this Errata (Bug List) post before you install, to be aware of the current information about known issues using WinMail within Win7/8/10/Server, these issues are programmatic and in most cases cannot be resolved by this tutorial, and will never be fixed.

Having said all that disclaimer, if you have the technical ability, and can put up with the annoying minor by-product bugs, then like so many of us still enjoy using vista WinMail on Windows 7/8/10/Server ..ymmv!

First, Please Read these important Backup/Restore procedures (click each spoiler)
information   Information
Just for fun I installed Windows Mail (aka WinMail) onto Win8 this afternoon (May, 2012) to play a little...
I was surprised to see that for whatever reason Win8 comes stock with the Program Files Windows Mail folder like it did on Win7, but neither was activated, unlike on Vista where of course we know that the same WinMail files works as is. On Win7 & Win8 (and now Win10) successively MS had built even newer version WinMail files too, but again upon each OS's release WinMail was not activated and so all by themselves the files would not start WinMail until retro modifications were made, similar to what we did on Win7 but it is certainly a different process here, where it's best just to replace the entire programs folder, etc...

Starting to work out the process on Win8 transferring files from Win7, and to be able to delete the existing whole Program Files Windows Mail folder with the necessary permissions, and instead of typing out individual commands, I used our forums administrator Brink who created This neat little Add Take Ownership reg to do it quicker, with benefits. After that then Took Ownership and Deleted the Windows Mail folder. Then copied the existing 'working' Win7 (or Vista) Windows Mail folder over to Win8/10/Server. Next merged the WinMailEdit.reg which btw is nearly identical (minus SxS keys) to the one merged within the process over on the Windows 7 WinMail Tutorial for its benefits, which makes WinMail more accurate for all the reasons discussed over the years within that forum; this same registry process applies to Win8/10/Server; also copied Win7 msidcrl30.dll file over to Win8/10/Server same location, etc, etc. Anyway going forward...
..See the full detailed install instructions below listed under "Continue Here"

The default language of this tutorials install is on English. For other languages see Post #3

(Please understand everything on these posts is for advanced computer users only)

Do yourself a favor - Create Backups !
Now I know at the bottom of this tutorial there is a link for "How to Backup and Restore Messages in Windows Mail," and that's fine, and it's an alternate way of doing it although not nearly as good or complete, however instead, specifically for 'WinMail to WinMail' setups, I Much Prefer to do it this next way for a number of beneficial reasons I won't get into here. This next method is used if/when you have an already fully setup WinMail client with all options and settings done, then, be sure to create the proper backups so you can easily recover from message-store corruptions (instead of losing everything) and/or you can also Transfer it to another computer, and even Transfer to different OS's your entire WinMail setup, right back to exactly how it was on the source the day you created it, without the need for 'importing' which never gets things exactly right anyway. This is a direct backup, and assumes you are using the default message store location folder.

Backup/Restore Process: ...for 'WinMail to WinMail' setups
On your latest already setup WinMail, right click and create a zip backup on this Message Store folder:
C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
..also referred to as: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
(which contains all your individual folder setup structure within WinMail, all mail/news emails, all accounts, etc..)
AND
..also make an export of this registry folder key:
(right click and export this entire folder key on your latest WinMail setup that's 'already fully setup and optioned')
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail"
(which contains all settings for the WinMail GUI Layout ..all Tools> Options Settings, Columns, Rules, etc...)
The reason for these backups is two fold: either a current WinMail repair, or transfer WinMail to new OS.
For instance when I do a fresh install of a new Windows 7/8/10/Server from an .iso or whichever, then to setup WinMail, after I run through the steps on its (corresponding OS) WinMail related tutorial ..and before I open WinMail, I will first delete what's there, and then zip extract the Latest message store folder from my most current source to my new install, and also export/merge the latest registry key from the most current source to my new install, and then when I open up WinMail it's already setup exactly like it is from its source, fully setup with All emails, Accounts*, Settings, complete GUI layout, etc.
*The only thing you'll have to do is enter the username/password of your mail and news server(s) and checkmark remember. You should know (have saved in txt file) what your server(s) name/pass are anyway; everything else gets restored exactly as it was on your recent source - it's so elegantly simple to do. Will never need to use an Import button on a 'WinMail to WinMail' setup or transfer again.
There is nothing more comprehensive and completely accurate than this manual restore procedure.
This backup procedure is also a repair (replacement) if your message store ever gets corrupted - it occasionally does happen! No problem, you can simply delete the current message store folder, and copy a good one in it's place - and so obviously because of this 'Always' keep your backups current!

Be Careful ..when you Delete the current folder, then zip extract your backup of the Windows Mail message store folder in its place, it needs to be at the Exact Path ..be very sure when extracting you don't end up with two nested 'Windows Mail' folders there, or it'll break default path and corrupt. Also do NOT extract/copy/paste over current folder - you need to 'Delete' the old folder first, then place the new!
This same particular 'WinMail to WinMail' Backup Information applies to all - Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Server.

Caution: This procedure will not work properly for those who have message store corruption on their source setups!
It also may not work correctly for those who have moved their message store folder from its default location to another! So don't use it! A modified backup/restore procedure would have to be done (which has not yet been specified) or, on your new setup when you reinstate WinMail not using the Backup/Restore procedure, instead do the rest of the tutorial which starts a fresh WinMail and sets it up from scratch. Then if needed, you can also use the built-in import features, it's not as good, but certainly better than nothing ...to be continued...

Note: 2012 ..if you update from Windows 8 to 8.1, or any version of 10, or Server, as well with many major MS updates that come along, they Will stop WinMail from working by overwriting many of the needed WM programs folder files and change folder permissions; but no problem, take ownership of the Windows Mail folder again, delete it, replace it with a working one to bring it back to life. (or use the latest supplied attachments)

Note: 4/2012 ..if you run SFC /SCANNOW on Win8/Win10/Server (not Win7) ..most times (depending) it Will Break WinMail's operation each time you run it since it also overwrites many of the necessary files within your Windows Mail folder. The way to fix it is easy, once again take ownership of the Windows Mail folder, delete it, and copy/paste your saved 'working' Windows Mail folder with the proper latest files, in its place.
The point is after you perform the install below and have WinMail working, then from there on after...
Anytime any new MS Windows Updates or SFC /SCANNOW ..breaks WinMail ...is again simply Take Ownership of the Windows Mail programs folder, and delete it, replacing it with your saved 'working' backup one (or use the latest supplied attachments) ...and you're back in business.

* Note: 7/2016 ..if you are doing a repair of WinMail because it will not start after an update, and you've been clicking WinMail.exe to get it to open but it won't - then be sure to first reboot Before you start the repair to Clear any errant running instances of WinMail.exe; or instead of rebooting you can open Task Manager and 'end task' on all running instances of WinMail.exe, but in any case do it Before you proceed to delete/replace the program folder.

Note: 4/2017 ..for Windows 10 users after performing new updates on v1703 and it breaks WinMail, sometimes you'll also have to copy msidcrl30.dll to the System32 folder and merge WinMailEdit.reg again to get her going.

Note: 2/2018 ..this is more for Post 2 now ..updating previous note, for Windows 10 latest builds v1709+ or Server 2019+, it is to know that after installing Updates and it breaks WinMail, you will have to re-run though all the steps on Post 1 & Post 2 again - it's just faster/easier doing the complete way in the long run! You see some updates delete/change some files and registry entries, while others will do it more aggressively, and so it's much quicker and More Complete to just run the entire procedures again to catch/fix all changes at once. Feel confident the procedures here were specifically made to Not change any current users settings or message store, and so nothing of that will be touched. When you're used to doing the procedure you'll be able to do it all in just minutes!

Note: I've Always temporarily disabled UAC and Windows Defender completely before I proceed, so as to not be bothered by nuisance prompts!

Caution: Do not use/swap the attached WinMailEdit.reg with the one given in the Win7 Tutorial process because it's only for Win8/10/Server! ..if you do then during first install you'll lose SFC usage protection from breaking 'Win7' WinMail.
Also to note the Win7 Tutorial procedure will not work to reinstate WinMail on Win8/10/Server!
Use each tutorials own install procedure for the OS that it's posted for!

Warning: Post 2: Windows10 / Server - Do Not Mix any attached files on Post 2 with Post 1 versions before v1709!

(Internet surfers who use this tutorial and download its files, please consider to log-in to the EightForums for full access - it's free)

Continue Here: (Please understand everything on these posts is for advanced computer users only)
(...first be sure in Folder Options ..that these settings are set as shown in my screenshot Here)
1. install Brinks Take Ownership reg from Here (..or for Win10 Here, but registry lines are identical)
2. Then right click on your "Program Files\Windows Mail" folder* and click Take Ownership.
* "Program Files\Windows Mail" folder only! ..x64 users don't touch the ''Programs Folder (x86)'' listing!
* Also remember if your OS is x86 or x64 you cannot mix/substitute files from one into the other!
* To clear any errant instances of WinMail.exe running reboot Before proceeding to do a repair; or 'end task' on WinMail.exe
3. Then right click on your "Program Files\Windows Mail" folder, and Delete it.
4. Then copy/paste your saved 'working' Windows 7 (or Vista) 'Windows Mail' folder to Windows 8/10/Server same.
~ All the correct files needed are also supplied attached at the bottom of these posts to download, for your convenience.
5. Create a shortcut from the program folder 'WinMail.exe' file you just copied - to the Desktop.
6. copy/paste your Windows 7 * ''C:\Windows\System32\msidcrl30.dll'' file over to Windows 8/10/Server same.
7. Now merge the WinMailEdit.reg (is for both x86 or x64)
8. 5/2018 Bug Fix New Update Attached (Win8/10/Server x86/x64) see install notes inside zip (thank you dadreamer for your work with this one)
NOTE: For Win10 v1709+ & Sever2019+ users only - continue to Post #2 to finish before opening WinMail; otherwise you're done:
For those people who currently have WinMail working on a different computer setup, and have done a new fresh OS install elsewhere, or have bought a new computer, etc, and want to transfer that current previous WinMail setup completely 'AS IS' to their new computer setup (or same setup) please go back and fully read and understand the "Backup/Restore Process" spoiler notes, including its 'more info' spoiler there on how to do that, and make those changes now before proceeding.
9. You are done..
~ Start WinMail and she opens immediately..
...from here you setup the Windows Mail client as normal...

Anyway, within minutes I had WinMail start up instantly in each of these OS's below; installed/tested on both x86/x64
Here's the first run screenshots back on Win8 beta CP, to Win8.1, Server, and Win10 up to v1703 b16193
Screenshots of WinMail on Win8 CP to Win 8.1 Pro & Server 2012 R2, Server 2016
Screenshots of WinMail on Win10 preview, v1507, v1511, v1607, v1703 .....(newer versions screenshots on Post #2)

Microsoft has removed the OE legacy code of WinMail see within article here:
Features removed or deprecated in Windows 10
This affects/breaks Win10 WinMail users starting at Windows 10 v1703 b16199 onward - see/implement Post #2 to fix it!
Windows 8 and Windows 7 WinMail users are unaffected
WinMail is now working again on Windows10 v1709+ ...see Post #2 for more information
All new procedure notes & screenshots for newer versions of Win10 & Server will always be put in Post #2

Tip   Tip
As of May, 2019 the instructions given here supersede all other instructions given in forthcoming older posts. Realize some of the posts that follow are 7 years old, and many of the link pointers within have become mis-linked over time, many of the files or information within them is outdated, incomplete, or superseded with more accurate information - and so be careful. However you can always be sure that the latest info from all research is incorporated into this tutorial post, and its downloads are the latest available. This post is continuously kept up-to-date, and so..
...Always refer to this Tutorial post for the very latest updated information

Good luck, thank you, and long live WinMail

...click Like button to leave feedback if you want to...

Related Tutorials

Attachments

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
..updated May, 2019..
WinMail Additional Steps Needed For
Windows 10, v1709 - v1903+
..including Server 2019+

Windows 10 v1709 - v1903 including Server 2019 ..do not use these next steps without having First completed Steps 1 - 9 in post #1 above, then stop at step 9 and before opening WinMail yet, now do step 10 below:

10.. ...continued only for Win10, v1709 - v1903 including Server 2019
...you'll now need to extract and copy/paste the contents of these extra x86 (or) x64 file attachments below 'as is' to the System32 folder, and then also merge the '2' attached .reg files (reg is for both x86/x64) .. (..always yes to any file overwrites)

~ Then you are done..
~ Start WinMail and she opens immediately..
...from here you setup the Windows Mail client as normal....

(All the latest WinMail fixes are included, including SendTo Mail Recipient MAPI & Advanced Tab assists)
(Please be sure you read and understand the Errata (Bug List) linked on the first post)

Here are some screenshots below of Post 2 installed tested/working WinMail on both x86/x64 of each of these OS's:

Windows 10 Pro, v1709
(click image to open full size)

WM_AboutBoxes_Newsgroups_x86.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, v1803

Win10v1803x64winver.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, v1809
Win10v1809_WinMail_winverAboutBox.jpg

Windows 10 Enterprise, v1809 LTSC
Win101809LTSC.jpg

Server 2019
Server Standard with Desktop Experience (x64)
Server2019-WinMail..jpg

Windows 10 Pro, v1903
Win10_b1903.jpg

Set WinMail as the Default Mail Client (is needed for various functions) ..complete these settings shown in screenshot:
SetDefault.jpg

Everything was fully proven out, also file/registry simplified the procedure, and removed unnecessary redundancy.
Everything was Tested / Working on my own live setups.

These 4 attachments below are only for Win10 v1709 - v1903 & Server 2019
All other earlier versions of Win10/Win8/Server stay on Post #1 only

~Extract the contents of the x86 or x64 zips, and copy those 3 items 'as is' directly to the System32 folder (yes to any overwrite)
~Then merge the '2' attached reg files.

5/2018 - New Update Attached, to install see notes inside zip (thank you dadreamer for your work on this one)
Note: this attached 5/2018 update is different (supplemental) than the one on post 1 - understand everything needs to be applied (orderly) to finish post 2 successfully.

Remember: as it says in post 1 spoiler notes, that going forward when you install a new Windows Update or Upgrade and it breaks WinMail for the OS versions in this post 2, you will always have to perform the steps in Both Posts 1 & 2 again to fix it. (please read and understand all notes and 'spoiler' notes on the first post)
...click Like button to leave feedback if you want to...

Attachments

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
...Future Post Placeholder...

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

phillbrett68

hi i am desperately trying to get windows mail back i am using windows 8 64 bit but no matter what i try nothing seems to work can anyone help me out please thanks forum

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit

krohm

Closed as requested
1 dl windows mail and dl take ownership

2 install take ownership

3 right click on the windows mail folder in both program files and program files (x86) and take ownership of both of them and delete them

4 then extract and copy windows mail across to program files (NOT program files (x86)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64

phillbrett68

ok got a step further now i get this with the dll file ok (the module "c:\windows\system32\msidcrl30.dll"
was loaded but the entry point register dllregisterserver was not found
make sure that "c:\windows\system32\msidcrl30.dll" is a valid dll or ocx file and then try again any ideas forum hope to hear from someone soon thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit

elbmek

Pro User
Sutton Coldfield

I am the opposite, I want to default my mail to gmail???

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    pc specialist made to order
    CPU
    Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS® H81M-PLUS: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
    Memory
    16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    iiyama 24 inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)

2TB Seagate SATA HDD

500Gb SATA docked
    Case
    In Win Turbo
    Cooling
    Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    microsoft mutlimedia keyboard
    Mouse
    logitech corded
    Internet Speed
    152mb
    Browser
    FF, IE11
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

phillbrett68

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit

elbmek

Pro User
Sutton Coldfield

Advice taken and downloaded, thats another bug I hate, 'you cannot delete X, Y or Z' - its MY pc I do what I want - sort of, please?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    pc specialist made to order
    CPU
    Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS® H81M-PLUS: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
    Memory
    16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    iiyama 24 inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)

2TB Seagate SATA HDD

500Gb SATA docked
    Case
    In Win Turbo
    Cooling
    Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    microsoft mutlimedia keyboard
    Mouse
    logitech corded
    Internet Speed
    152mb
    Browser
    FF, IE11
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

phillbrett68

just noticed something quite strange that once i have copied the files over to the program files directory or even once i unzip the files the winmail.exe file just disappears hmm wonder why that is any ideas

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit

phillbrett68

hey krohm i followed your exact instructions but it will not work at all so do not know whats going wrong at all any ideas i can delete both directory s but as soon as i try to copy over the files the winmail.exe disapears so do not know whats going on at all i can take ownership that works fine but it falls apart after that ok

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit

krohm

Closed as requested
so the winmail.exe is in program files... then it disappears ? that sounds pretty strange man,.. you sure its in there.. ive had it before where winmail just isnt in there. ok, here is i think a solution i did once

take ownership, delete the folders etc,.. then extract the winmail.zip to a folder in like, your user directory or something.. then copy that windows mail to program files.. then it should work....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64

phillbrett68

ok this is what happens i extract the 64 bit one to a directory called c:\winmail ok and it appears that everything goes ok until i look in the folder everything else is listed except for winmail.exe it just is not listed at all so i look at the folder property and it says their are 10 files in the folder and 1 folder and then i look at the rar file and it says 8 files and one folder whats going on why would their be a difference any ideas

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit

krohm

Closed as requested
well dunno whats going on there,.. sounds like a windows problem rather than windows mail.. ask in other parts of the forum maybe

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
nah the winmail.exe is in the zip file but the second i extract it it dissapears no matter what i do ok that is what happens
All of what you have posted previously was covered in the beginning posts if you are able to understand them technically, but as far as your current post, unless by chance you have malware that's deleting your exe's ..then your answer is as simple that you just haven't made the setting to show system hidden files, and/or changed the HSA attributes on the WinMail.exe, therefore you won't see it. However rather than explaining all those details, if you ran the tutorials automation I mentioned and linked on my previous Post then these issues would have been automatically taken care of and you would have had WM running by now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP