How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10

AMMI

I'm back. This problem was nagging at me and I had to fix it. Besides that bird program just isn't the same. I went through the steps again and at first glance everything was fine but when I restored my Mail folder from backup, I couldn't send email. This required me examining the files in the folder and understanding what a messagestore file is. In the end, I replaced the message store file and now I'm back in business. As I said, this always takes up some of my time, but until there's a better alternative I'll have to keep dealing with these updates.
Thanks again. As long as you assure me that WinMail works with the latest version of Windows, then I'll keep applying the fixes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
This required me examining the files in the folder and understanding what a messagestore file is.
Actually technically speaking it's not a file - the MSF (Message Store Folder) in essence contains a Lot of various folders and data files. You don't even have to know all the technical details of everything inside the MSF, AMMI. Your mission as it says to do in the Post #1 spoiler Backup/Restore Procedures, is to carry out ''Create Backup'' steps 1, 2, 3, which you create this anytime After WM is fully setup, etc, but absolutely do it before you do a Windows Update. Now after the update and you reinstate WinMail, you Will then need to restore what you just created, so there where it says "To Restore" ..do steps 1, 2, and 3, which includes Deleting the MSF and Replace it with it's Backup.

Anything else I say I will just be repeating myself (I already just did) ..but all of this is already typed up for you there.
Please everyone who uses WinMail needs to read it, and create for themselves a 1, 2, 3, Backup, right now.

I couldn't send email.
Simply, the resolve to that will automatically take care of itself from when you "correctly" do the Restore steps 1, 2, 3, ..properly..

I couldn't send email.
Furthermore though if you wanted to read more about it, then in the very first Spoiler on Post #1 called: "Important Time Line Notes" and scroll down to Note: 7/2019 and read it all incl spoiler buttons - it's all in there.
Yes sure it's good to understand every single technicality, but even if you didn't completely, as long as anytime when you reinstate WinMail you did Steps 1 - 15 (as appropriate) ...this is what puts the WinMail "Software" back together working.
..and then you already having done previously the ''Create Backup'' steps 1, 2, 3 and it's ready to go
..and so now "To Restore" do steps 1, 2, and 3 ..and that is what puts All Your Saved WinMail Data back to the way it was.

fwiw in the Create BackUp Step 1, The MSF contains All Mail/News emails with All your individual Folder Structure layouts created, All Accounts info, and more.. In Step 2, The Registry backup, it contains All Settings for the WinMail GUI Layout ..all Tools> Options Settings, Columns, Rules, etc.. Step 3 ...but you can read about all of this in Post 1 please.

It took me 5 minutes to type this, but honestly once you have all your files ready ahead of time ready to go, you can reinstate WinMail and do All the steps in less time than than it took me to type this message, and if done properly ..it'll always be fully working!

Edit:
Please be especially attentive to follow everything it says how to do in the Backup/Restore Procedures. I can't stress this enough as it's all specifically and carefully worded, and to be followed explicitly for your successful outcome - all the details matter!

Edit:
Also to say I've since updated Post 5 with information about controlling Windows Update - with options to run it Only when You want it to, in order to control when your WM gets broken, etc. Also I've edited Post 1 wording in a few places giving more clarity..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live

Kukattooo

I need to install WInMail-Vista for both Win8.1 and Win10 in German, French, Italian language in both x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit). I have running Windows Vista here and install DVDs in both x86 and x64. Btw.: I so far used the installed files from an existing installation with some special treatment for msidcrl30.dll and msoe.dll (as mentioned 2 pages above) – and it works. But when following your instructions it seems to be inconsistent and should be impossible. So what's your official advice for a non-english installation? What else is all needed?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
Kukattooo,

There is only one new language request at a time for each member that I will do, and you are now asking for 6 different iterations, No.
I don't think you realize (or care) what you are asking of me in time to do these projects.
You also said in previous posts you're not using All the files from the tutorial, but elsewhere, and as per post 4 mentioning the compatibility reasons why, therefore I cannot help you with languages, No.
Also as you notice in my reply to you in Post # 662 & 664 ..as it was then and seems even now, you still don't want to properly read/follow what's already given, and instead insist on doing it your own way. All your posts show reluctance to follow the tutorial procedures which contains all the answers to all questions; heck you did not even follow my language request procedure from post # 4 properly either. I'm not going to repeat them anymore.
As I have previously told you already in post 662, I will not respond to those who do not follow or read the directions, especially not even use All the files attached in the given tutorial. I will not respond to any questions for other methods except the ones posted in this tutorial.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

Kukattooo

OK, so I have to work with that what I have here ... as mentioned it'll be the same as last time (cf. Post # 663) ... that was working, even when not exactly what you tell here. And as long as it is working ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

stef212311331

Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the Windows Mail message store. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. (0x80040154, 14007)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom
    CPU
    i7 8700
    Motherboard
    msi pro series
    Memory
    16gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx1050
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    avast

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
Hello stef and Welcome to the EightForums

Yes that can happen if you don't reinstate WinMail correctly, just be sure you are using the right x86 or x64 files (programs folder & msidcrl30.dll) for your OS bit - which btw you don't even specify what yours is! Also if x64 make sure you are working with the correct programs folder as noted in tutorial.

What OS are you using anyway, I see your profile says and I quote "windows 1.0"

Come on stef... for sure, before posting please read post #3 and follow it, thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)