How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

It's as I feared, thanks. RIP VWM....sort of.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
Too soon to say RIP though Peter, unless of course you only have One OS and Only run each weeks new Win10 release to keep up with the frills. I have many OS's, and I'm not a kid anymore either and admit a bit old fashion so find little use for the frills, but of course Do Love the evolution of true technology and will always be at the cutting edge of what matters.

I still say "long live WinMail" instead of RIP ..LoL, even though I may be in the minority.

Certainly I'll still keep up with installing/testing all other Non WinMail aspects of all the new Win10 builds going forward, just for the sake of keeping up with the game; but for years yet to come will surly still find my main towers with OS builds installed that are compatible with and have a working WinMail in use.

Everything in life though is subject to change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Good policy, me too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
I still say "long live WinMail" instead of RIP ..LoL, even though I may be in the minority.

Certainly I'll still keep up with installing/testing all other Non WinMail aspects of all the new Win10 builds going forward, just for the sake of keeping up with the game; but for years yet to come will surly still find my main towers with OS builds installed that are compatible with and have a working WinMail in use.

Everything in life though is subject to change.

Dear Endeavor, please keep up the good work, I cannot do without Windows Mail as it is my main mail program for work. I have Win 7 on main PC and Win 10 on laptop, I was lucky I realized I'm not on last build, so I decided to turn off all Win 10 updates, until maybe you find a chance to reinstall WinMail on later builds of Win 10.

Since about 2001 and buggy Outlook express there has not been any convenient email program for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
I echo your sentiments. Windows Mail is such a neat, uncluttered application. I just can't understand why Microsoft dropped that (& a large number of other features) as the OS's progressed. I do NOT believe their excuses.
I realise that the darn EU & even the US government forced them to drop a lot of features, but at least they surely could have still been optional additions that one could install.
Yes @endeavor if you find a way of beating future editions of W10 we would be thrilled.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
Thanks guys,

I wish WinMail could continue on Win10 too, and I wish MS would do it, LoL

As I explained though in my previous post that the amount of code that they removed related to Windows Mail was extensive. I tried everything I knew how to reverse it and put it back together, I tried, but soon realized that the amount of work to do it and then importantly how to make a Tutorial to explain and detail it all out - is just too much and impractical to do at this point in time, that would then break again every time they update.

If I find an easy way I will talk about it, but I think it's prudent for those who insist on being a 'new build' Windows 10 user, to move to a supported email client.

As I said for myself, even though I install and test new Win10 builds all the time, but on my main personal computer tower, I still have the Win10 partition holding at v1607 using its RTM of course and not a technical preview ..and because of various reasons I am under the impression it will still be continually updated till the year 2023 (besides who wants to bother with technical previews anyway unless it's installed on a separate partition or HD for testing and play)
I have my Windows Updates turned off on it of course, and it's not going anywhere unless I install it manually, and that's the key, I only manually install security updates which btw I see they just recently created another one for it, which...

...fwiw, v1607 build 14393 RTM has it's updates located at this link below, and of course it's great they are Cumulative! ..and so always use the top listing (for now anyway)
You can see they just updated 1607 yesterday, and so always check here for the latest.

Updates for Windows 10 Version 1607

I always hold off a month or two anyway, and many times depending will skip months in-between; ymmv
A few times I'll even do a fresh OS install and directly update to the latest Cumulative, to keep my footprint small.

This is my answer for now when it comes to WinMail on Windows 10 RTM ...(for me anyway)

ps,
btw, you will see this week I've changed the format on the Win8 WinMail Tutorial to be more professional or more tutorial looking.

Not related to here, but I've also reworked, etc, with new screenshots, the Win7 WinMail Tutorial as well.

I put a lot of effort into it :p

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Thanks for your so kind reply. As I understand it will take enormous efforts to put back all the code MS removed, so in the end it may not be worth it, could you recommend any good replacement to Windows Mail? The one which ideally keeps all emails stored separately as .eml and using Windows Contacts? The one which does not encrypt all mails and contacts deep in itself?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
I'm not the one to answer that question, and like cars, computer brands, etc, etc, you are going to get a lot of different answers because everyone has their own opinions and factors as to what works best for themselves.
I do give some hints though in the middle of post 262 with clients that mimic Outlook Express or WinMail, but again I did not fully test nor am I endorsing them because I just don't have the hands on experience with them.

Besides, I am a lifelong WinMail user ;) ..and this is a WinMail thread :p
...I'm not going anywhere until I am good and ready, but that won't be for years! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Sorry guys, really sory to ask this; (i really dont have time check out 28 pages), Advanced tab is missing in here (w10proCreatorsUpdate 64bit).

Is it normal? (When i did these valid steps for Win7, i'm sure Advanced tab was loaded)

Thanks for understanding.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 Pro 21H2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI Katana
    CPU
    i5 12th gen
    Memory
    32GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RTX 3050
    Sound Card
    O/B
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15' built in, 22' vga external
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    512GB SSD
    Mouse
    A4Tech
    Internet Speed
    Various
    Browser
    Firefox of course ;)
    Antivirus
    ESET
...Advanced tab is missing

Hello yako2k3, and welcome to the EightForums

On post #1 in the very first paragraph, click on the Errata link, and it will bring you to the bug listing page, and there scroll down to the header listing of
Win8/10 x86/x64, and Win7 x64
...and you will see your side effect listed, as well as all the rest of the broken items on that advanced tab are listed there. However fwiw those issues do work just fine on Win7 x86, and of course Vista

In short, the missing items on that advanced tab is a side effect bug from running Vista WinMail on Win8/10

next day edit:
yako2k3, for clearer understanding I have now edited post #1 wording surrounding Errata, saying to read it first before installing. I've also highlighted the link in bold so you can't miss it. To be of better help I've also created a new screenshot in the Errata's link bug list, and under that heading it now shows these advanced tab settings you're talking about in an easy to understand screenshot; btw, most people may never have a need for these fringe settings anyway.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
...Advanced tab is missing

Hello yako2k3, and welcome to the EightForums

On post #1 in the very first paragraph, click on the Errata link, and it will bring you to the bug listing page, and there scroll down to the header listing of
Win8/10 x86/x64, and Win7 x64
...and you will see your side effect listed, as well as all the rest of the broken items on that advanced tab are listed there. However fwiw those issues do work just fine on Win7 x86, and of course Vista

In short, the missing items on that advanced tab is a side effect bug from running Vista WinMail on Win8/10

next day edit:
yako2k3, for clearer understanding I have now edited post #1 wording surrounding Errata, saying to read it first before installing. I've also highlighted the link in bold so you can't miss it. To be of better help I've also created a new screenshot in the Errata's link bug list, and under that heading it now shows these advanced tab settings you're talking about in an easy to understand screenshot; btw, most people may never have a need for these fringe settings anyway.

Thank you for answering me. So we can't do anything for this issue (as i get). I'm using WinMail for NNTP and POP3 same time. When i post to NNTP, my all threads highlited (with glasses icon). Then i irrited and figured it out. so i will learn to happy with this.

Thank you again for all about WinMail works ;) You are lifesavers :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 Pro 21H2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI Katana
    CPU
    i5 12th gen
    Memory
    32GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RTX 3050
    Sound Card
    O/B
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    512GB SSD
    Mouse
    A4Tech
    Internet Speed
    Various
    Browser
    Firefox of course ;)
    Antivirus
    ESET
Thank you for answering me. So we can't do anything for this issue (as i get). I'm using WinMail for NNTP and POP3 same time. When i post to NNTP, my all threads highlited (with glasses icon). Then i irrited and figured it out. so i will learn to happy with this.

Good morning yako2k3

I also use WinMail for NNTP too, but I don't have any problems with that glasses icon threads being highlighted.
Here's a Screenshot of my WinMail layout today accessing a random NNTP News Group posting just to show you, and you can see the glasses icon up there (I normally don't have that glasses icon showing and uncheck that box in Columns, but put it back to show you. Normally I have the Flag icon there instead) fwiw, that glasses icon represents a Watch Conversation option which you can set up on the top tab of Message> Watch Conversation. You can also remove that glasses icon column from the list via right clicking on your toolbar and select Customize, and choose to remove it.... but removing it won't solve your problem I don't think. Anyway, as you can see mine works fine, and so I don't know what you did wrong?
Under the top tab of Messages, highlight your post, and click to UnCheck Watch Conversation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

Good morning yako2k3

I also use WinMail for NNTP too, but I don't have any problems with that glasses icon threads being highlighted.
Here's a Screenshot of my WinMail layout today accessing a random NNTP News Group posting just to show you, and you can see the glasses icon up there (I normally don't have that glasses icon showing and uncheck that box in Columns, but put it back to show you. Normally I have the Flag icon there instead) fwiw, that glasses icon represents a Watch Conversation option which you can set up on the top tab of Message> Watch Conversation. You can also remove that glasses icon column from the list via right clicking on your toolbar and select Customize, and choose to remove it.... but removing it won't solve your problem I don't think. Anyway, as you can see mine works fine, and so I don't know what you did wrong?
Under the top tab of Messages, highlight your post, and click to UnCheck Watch Conversation.

In Advanced tab, we can remove the glasses permanently but Advanced tab is missing. Also Message/Watch Conversation thing is everytime checked for threads started by mine. So i can remove Glasses column but, it still be selected as "watch conversation". It's annoying to go every thread (Started by mine), and unselect "Watch conversation".

So selected RED color to black. I know it's just a bypass. But this is mine solution. :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 Pro 21H2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI Katana
    CPU
    i5 12th gen
    Memory
    32GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RTX 3050
    Sound Card
    O/B
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    512GB SSD
    Mouse
    A4Tech
    Internet Speed
    Various
    Browser
    Firefox of course ;)
    Antivirus
    ESET
I miss the old NNTP Newsgroups. ISP's in Canada have banned them for the most part - "for security reasons"....but more likely to save them unnecessary bandwidth wastage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
I miss the old NNTP Newsgroups. ISP's in Canada have banned them for the most part - "for security reasons"....but more likely to save them unnecessary bandwidth wastage.

They all wants to "sniff" traffic. And they're focused 80 and 443 ports. So NNTP is a leak for them. Not for canada. In here Europe; NNTP is almost dying. So we have own nntp server for friendly use. And we proud to have it :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 Pro 21H2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI Katana
    CPU
    i5 12th gen
    Memory
    32GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RTX 3050
    Sound Card
    O/B
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    512GB SSD
    Mouse
    A4Tech
    Internet Speed
    Various
    Browser
    Firefox of course ;)
    Antivirus
    ESET
I could still access the old groups if I paid an online Usenet/NNTP server supplier but why pay for something that was always free?
Oh well c'est la vie. :(:zip:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
yako2k3,

I personally prefer it set that way and I've always left that setting as default anyway, and anytime I post on a newsgroup even when posting from Vista, or Win7, Win8, Win10 my post always shows up in Red color and marked as Watched with the glasses. I don't post that often to News Groups so it does not bother me so much, and it helps me keep track of my posts better (and/or I will Flag them)

Anyway, I have now figured out a way to turn that setting off for Win8/10 users that don't have the Advanced tab showing if you want it. I just tested it and it works.
Actually I may be able to do the same for many (but not all) of those Advanced Tab settings that do not show up for users, just let me know what you want and I'll work it out.

After downloading, just double click the file (or right click> Merge) to merge it:
The registry files attached toggles On or Off this setting in the Advanced Tab option:
Message Threads:
Mark Message Threads I Start As 'Watched'

Edit:
All this has now been fixed, just rerun the tutorial to pick it up.
How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
yako2k3,

I personally prefer it set that way and I've always left that setting as default anyway, and anytime I post on a newsgroup even when posting from Vista, or Win7, Win8, Win10 my post always shows up in Red color and marked as Watched with the glasses. I don't post that often to News Groups so it does not bother me so much, and it helps me keep track of my posts better (and/or I will Flag them)

Anyway, I have now figured out a way to turn that setting off for Win8/10 users that don't have the Advanced tab showing if you want it. I just tested it and it works.
Actually I may be able to do the same for many (but not all) of those Advanced Tab settings that do not show up for users, just let me know what you want and I'll work it out.

After downloading, just double click the file (or right click> Merge) to merge it:
The registry files attached toggles On or Off this setting in the Advanced Tab option:
Message Threads:
Mark Message Threads I Start As 'Watched'

IT works. Thanks a lot Endeavor. Thanks a lot... :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 Pro 21H2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI Katana
    CPU
    i5 12th gen
    Memory
    32GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RTX 3050
    Sound Card
    O/B
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    512GB SSD
    Mouse
    A4Tech
    Internet Speed
    Various
    Browser
    Firefox of course ;)
    Antivirus
    ESET
You are very welcome.
Also a thanks to you, because of your posting about these issues again (and previously others in both forums have too) about this same broken Advanced Tab options & Maintenance tab. And so after contemplating it for a while again, came an inspirational moment that has finally brought about a simple way that I can capture the relevant data, and export the difference to create registry files for each of the missing options, making it possibly to manually toggle them On/Off with reg files. Playing with a few ideas yesterday and having them work, I realized I probably can do each one of those options like that; but I will wait until the individual need arises because of the time involved.

I also may delete the attachments on my above post and attach them to the Bug List Errata post instead.
I'll think on what's the best thing to do, because if I put them on the Errata post then one will come across the resolve much quicker, than having to search out the above post for them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Back