Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours

  1. #41


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    Your zipcode locates you on the map.

    Depending on how much of the other information you have given, it measures your gullibility index! (Sorry )
    No kidding. It is kind of crazy.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post

    Ok, I had no problem with booting windows 8 from vhd. My request to hopachi is that do you have any idea of doing this process with ubuntu? I want to boot ubuntu from vhd but I could not find an article on the net to help me.

    I would be highly grateful if you could help.
    Good question.

    I don't have much experience in the matter but after reading some posts here:
    Booting a Linux VHD

    it seems impossible (for the moment).

    You can only do that starting with Win7 beta and beyond. Vista is NOT supported and XP neither.
    I got the answer some time ago at post #37 here:
    Windows 8 VHD - Create at Boot to Dual Boot with

    People do mention some work made by VMLite from here:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/030763.html

    and eventually you go here (instructions): http://www.vmlite.com/appliances/ubuntu-910-readme.html

    and there is something called
    Real Appliance
    and that's what we're looking for. If you can set that up you can boot Ubuntu from VHD.

    But that's still early and it's something I didn't got the chance to test.

    One last thing (sorry for so many links) here is the page with sample VHD appliances (including ubuntu):
    Download

    you can also try to make your own VHD following the instructions.

    Regards
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    I am forcing myself to use Windows 8 right now.

    I am working on something that requires Citrix, so I thought I would give Metro IE a chance. After all I might need to use Citrix on a tablet one day.

    It kicked me out to the real desktop.

    In fact I keep getting bounced around Metro and the real desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    That's what it does


    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    It kicked me out to the real desktop.

    In fact I keep getting bounced around Metro and the real desktop.
    It sounds like W8 is working as per its design.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    Coke Robot--Windows To Go would be on my list but it is only available with the Enterprise Edition, which puts out of reach of many of us.

    Crawfish--did you ever wonder how such a polished and [hopefully] secure program as TrueCrypt can exist for free for such a long time, without any prospect of ad revenue or a commercial version? Just sayin.
    Hi there
    Windows to go mechanism might be "Do-able" on std windows -- all it needs is the boot commands which presumably you can extract off the current Windows 8 stuff. While Windows 8 CP will expire in January 2013 --that doesn't mean that some of the individual PROGRAMS will stop functioning.

    I doubt if Ms will change the whole boot mechanism before release date --especially at this stage.

    Of course the main problem with any "Hacked" windows to go version will be the need for re-activation if you try and boot it on different hardware.

    A possible good idea until a "Hackable" version of Windows to go appears is to install any version of Windows you like as a VM on an SSD under a tiny version of Linux and connect the SSD via a SATA==>USB3 interface. This should (even with the VM overhead) still be fast enough to be useful and the VM would only ever need to be activated ONCE.

    Hacking a standard W8 system would present "Activation" problems -- but if the W8 to go was just being used as a tool then you could always re-image it as activation is normally required within 30 days. Decent imaging programs could restore a new image within 15 mins (on an SSD probably within about 7 mins !!).

    SATA==>USB3 connections aren't available yet on a lot of laptops --especially company one's who tend to go for generic models like HP == fine but aren't leading edge technology.

    A SATA==>USB2 connection works decently enough though --especially with an SSD. -- If you have an older 60GB SSD this would be a good use for it.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Yeah, I think it's odd and probably is a slight glitch as of now that Windows needs reactivating and the key can only work a very few times before you need a new key. But on the the upside, I made a Windows 8 To Go drive yesterday with the Release Preview and it is MUCH better to use than the CP! Better driver support for one, and it seems like there is much less accessing the flash drive than before. A new metro notifications pops up telling you to not yank out the flash drive as bad things could aflict your life. There is also now the sleep option. YES! I thought was odd that the CP didn't let you sleep the system, but now it does and it is just fast, even on USB 2!

    Say, have you installed Windows 8 on a USB 3 flash device or something similar and ran it on a USB 2 port?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    I am forcing myself to use Windows 8 right now.

    I am working on something that requires Citrix, so I thought I would give Metro IE a chance. After all I might need to use Citrix on a tablet one day.

    It kicked me out to the real desktop.

    In fact I keep getting bounced around Metro and the real desktop.
    It does that, and yes, it can get annoying. My suggestion is to make it a better hybrid system. Make program defaults to open things on the Desktop, playing and viewing media files on the Desktop versus having to switch to an app. You can also, I believe, change a setting in IE on the Desktop to open the Desktop version of IE. I like to use the metro IE browser, I think it's cool! It also works SO MUCH BETTER than previous incarnations, they were unacceptably offensive to use daily. The CP was polished, but this new version is fluid.

    "The Start Screen is adaptable to the user, as it was designed to be. One must make it their own...."
    -Coke Robot
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    India
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    I am forcing myself to use Windows 8 right now.

    I am working on something that requires Citrix, so I thought I would give Metro IE a chance. After all I might need to use Citrix on a tablet one day.

    It kicked me out to the real desktop.

    In fact I keep getting bounced around Metro and the real desktop.
    Hello cly, I also felt a bit like that. But once I started using the keyboard shortcuts everything started looking very easy.
    If you are on keyboard and mouse. Keep one hand near the windows logo key. Use the windows key to get to the metro UI. Use windows+q to search and use windows+c to use the charms bar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    I am forcing myself to use Windows 8 right now.

    I am working on something that requires Citrix, so I thought I would give Metro IE a chance. After all I might need to use Citrix on a tablet one day.

    It kicked me out to the real desktop.

    In fact I keep getting bounced around Metro and the real desktop.
    It does that, and yes, it can get annoying. My suggestion is to make it a better hybrid system. Make program defaults to open things on the Desktop, playing and viewing media files on the Desktop versus having to switch to an app. You can also, I believe, change a setting in IE on the Desktop to open the Desktop version of IE. I like to use the metro IE browser, I think it's cool! It also works SO MUCH BETTER than previous incarnations, they were unacceptably offensive to use daily. The CP was polished, but this new version is fluid.

    "The Start Screen is adaptable to the user, as it was designed to be. One must make it their own...."
    -Coke Robot
    I am just beginning the scratch the surface but the Start Screen appears to have a lot of potential.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Yeah, I think it's odd and probably is a slight glitch as of now that Windows needs reactivating and the key can only work a very few times before you need a new key. But on the the upside, I made a Windows 8 To Go drive yesterday with the Release Preview and it is MUCH better to use than the CP! Better driver support for one, and it seems like there is much less accessing the flash drive than before. A new metro notifications pops up telling you to not yank out the flash drive as bad things could aflict your life. There is also now the sleep option. YES! I thought was odd that the CP didn't let you sleep the system, but now it does and it is just fast, even on USB 2!

    Say, have you installed Windows 8 on a USB 3 flash device or something similar and ran it on a USB 2 port?
    Ok--just found a use for Windows To Go. I am going on vacation and need to take Photoshop and Lightroom with me to use on host's computer. How large of a USB flash drive do I need? Are there simple instructions for installing the latest Windows 8 on the USB flash drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Yeah, I think it's odd and probably is a slight glitch as of now that Windows needs reactivating and the key can only work a very few times before you need a new key. But on the the upside, I made a Windows 8 To Go drive yesterday with the Release Preview and it is MUCH better to use than the CP! Better driver support for one, and it seems like there is much less accessing the flash drive than before. A new metro notifications pops up telling you to not yank out the flash drive as bad things could aflict your life. There is also now the sleep option. YES! I thought was odd that the CP didn't let you sleep the system, but now it does and it is just fast, even on USB 2!

    Say, have you installed Windows 8 on a USB 3 flash device or something similar and ran it on a USB 2 port?
    Ok--just found a use for Windows To Go. I am going on vacation and need to take Photoshop and Lightroom with me to use on host's computer. How large of a USB flash drive do I need? Are there simple instructions for installing the latest Windows 8 on the USB flash drive?
    Ordering “Windows to Go”: how to create a bootable Windows 8 USB thumb drive | Ars Technica

    Simplest instruction you can find. It applied to the Consumer Preview, but works just the same for the Release Preview. A suggestion though, look and the command prompt snippet for the commands, don't base it off what's typed in the article. I screwed up the btmgr part because of that and had to redo the whole thing.


    I have Windows 8 To Go installed on a 16 gig, USB 2 flash drive. Before, I had the CP installed on it and lucky for you, I had Photoshop CS5 installed. It leaves about 8ish gigs left on the flash drive, which is enough for Photoshop (but select the 32 or 64 bit versions, don't install both) and I believe enough for Lightroom. Just a word though, it will literally take HOURS. USB 2 is the most slowed storage interface out there now, but it surprisingly works OK though. It takes about a little over an hour for Windows 8, and about another hour or so for Photoshop and probably will take a little under and hour for Lightroom. And when you install the programs, don't try to use the To Go drive, it won't get you anywhere as USB 2 flash memory is slow.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours
Related Threads
Read more at: Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet
At least Ed Bott is optimistic for the desktop, Ed Bott is a well respected journalist and he seems to be optimistic that the desktop is not going to disappear. That, at least, is comforting. Read more at source: Five reasons why the Windows desktop isn't going away | ZDNet
see full report
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet
7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA
Read more at source: 7 reasons why Windows RT works | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10363-top-10-biggest-drawbacks-windows-rt.html
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook