Windows 8's learning curve to be addressed

Microsoft: Windows 8's learning curve needs addressing - Neowin

Microsoft Chief Marketing Officer Tami Reller has been speaking to The New York Times in relation to Windows Blue (Windows 8.1), the next big update to Windows 8 that will be released later this year. According to Reller, Microsoft acknowledge that Windows 8's learning curve is an issue, saying that it's "real and needs to be addressed," while she mentioned that some aspects of Windows 8 will be made easier to learn in Windows 8.1.

Reller didn't specify exactly what will be changed in Windows Blue – she mentioned more details will be unveiled during and in the lead up to BUILD 2013 – although she hinted the tutorial will be adjusted. "We need to help [users] learn faster,” and that's not being accomplished by the poor tutorial in Windows 8 that only shows new users how to open the Charms menu.

One aspect of Windows 8.1, which at this stage is only rumored to be coming back in the update, that should abate the steep learning curve is the Start button. Although the accompanying Start menu will likely not be returning, the visual familiarity of the Start button will make it easier for people to make the jump without getting lost, as currently Windows 8 doesn't feature any visual clues about how to return to the Start screen from the desktop.

Despite the learning curve of Windows 8, it continues to sell relatively well; Microsoft announced several days ago that they've sold more than 100 million Windows 8 licenses. Expect to see more information in relation to Windows Blue in the coming weeks, as Microsoft has promised to reveal more info ahead of BUILD including pricing and packaging specifics.

Windows 8 tips and information app, and similar help apps..

Though I didnt belive at first that I had any use for this app, I did find a few helpful items which has now made it worth looking at.

I hear the work intuitive alot in windows 8, but its really not, once you learn the system then it starts making sense or is that just the product of learning??

Check out the tips and info app, theres allot of basic common sense stuff, but some thing are not and are very helpful..

LOL! "Product of learning"?! You're making too much sense here, Brooklyn567.

#1. Reading through the thread you'll find a lot of them don't use the Help files, which I find very surprising. I assume it's a trial-and-error type of learning they use or they use a search engine hoping they get the correct answer as a few have mentioned. Either way, personally I think it to be a waste of time. I have 6 to 7 hours of sleep and 17 to 18 hours to a day to get a lot accomplished each day. Maybe some have longer days?

#2. They dislike Modern Store apps and/or the Modern UI side of the OS, so odds have it that they won't use a Store app for learning. All they want is their "intuitive" (meaning "I don't want to think or learn too much differently because this is the way we've done it for years") Win32 desktop where they feel safe and cozy.

#3. For the most part they think MS shouldn't be in the Modern app business selling through their MS Store. The Start Screen is supposedly their "billboard" for that. Everyone else and their mother can be in that business, but how dare MS try and make some money at that! Let Apple, Google, and the others reap all that money.

I could go on, but I won't. I'm sure you get my gist.

BTW, welcome to Windows EightForums, Brooklyn567. It's good to have you aboard. :) Thanks for mentioning the Store learning app. As you probably know, there are many more. Simply type "learn" into the Store search.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling