Windows 8's learning curve to be addressed

Microsoft: Windows 8's learning curve needs addressing - Neowin

Microsoft Chief Marketing Officer Tami Reller has been speaking to The New York Times in relation to Windows Blue (Windows 8.1), the next big update to Windows 8 that will be released later this year. According to Reller, Microsoft acknowledge that Windows 8's learning curve is an issue, saying that it's "real and needs to be addressed," while she mentioned that some aspects of Windows 8 will be made easier to learn in Windows 8.1.

Reller didn't specify exactly what will be changed in Windows Blue – she mentioned more details will be unveiled during and in the lead up to BUILD 2013 – although she hinted the tutorial will be adjusted. "We need to help [users] learn faster,” and that's not being accomplished by the poor tutorial in Windows 8 that only shows new users how to open the Charms menu.

One aspect of Windows 8.1, which at this stage is only rumored to be coming back in the update, that should abate the steep learning curve is the Start button. Although the accompanying Start menu will likely not be returning, the visual familiarity of the Start button will make it easier for people to make the jump without getting lost, as currently Windows 8 doesn't feature any visual clues about how to return to the Start screen from the desktop.

Despite the learning curve of Windows 8, it continues to sell relatively well; Microsoft announced several days ago that they've sold more than 100 million Windows 8 licenses. Expect to see more information in relation to Windows Blue in the coming weeks, as Microsoft has promised to reveal more info ahead of BUILD including pricing and packaging specifics.

Lol! This is an executive? The first thing I suggest you teach him is where the help files are. It amuses me that he spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out, then came to you wasting your time when all he had to do was look in the help files.
I've found that very few people ever read the help files. Heck, I don't even read the help files, I search on Google.

There's good reason why items have been moved. Charms bar is the new menu system allocated for touch, but works well with other input peripherals. "Devices" is another innovation of the Charms Bar menu.
Well, we can agree to disagree on this. This is a desktop computer, albeit one with a touchscreen monitor (he's actually using one of those Acer All in Ones). But he's using the keyboard and the mouse, not touching.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
OK then - how do you get to the Help files from Reader?!

(Incidentally I see that the Print option has now appeared in Reader on a Right-click - I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before and MS have added it during an Update.)

Hi there
just because a guy is an executive of an organisation doesn't mean to say he / she has to have any knowledge of computers other than basic tools such as I'd assume - on how to create and interpret a spread sheet or read a power point type of demonstration.

(Of course if the guy was say a senior executive at Ms then I would be surprised if he couldn't use Windows properly --even Windows 8).

Cheers
jimbo
No argument from me on any of that.

Sadly I'm neither a senior executive, nor am I clever enough to work out how to get to the Help files from within Reader... does anyone know? Is it even possible?
Lol! This is an executive? The first thing I suggest you teach him is where the help files are. It amuses me that he spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out, then came to you wasting your time when all he had to do was look in the help files.

I've found that very few people ever read the help files. Heck, I don't even read the help files, I search on Google.

There's good reason why items have been moved. Charms bar is the new menu system allocated for touch, but works well with other input peripherals. "Devices" is another innovation of the Charms Bar menu.

Well, we can agree to disagree on this. This is a desktop computer, albeit one with a touchscreen monitor (he's actually using one of those Acer All in Ones). But he's using the keyboard and the mouse, not touching.

Charms Bar for Start Screen specific or Store app specific: WinKey/C or mouse pointer/finger in the upper or lower right hand corner > choose Settings > Help. F1 remains the same on the blank desktop.

Perhaps I'm lucky in that my IT friend who gave me my first computer (a Gateway 2000 with 95) literally brought it to me, taught me how to set all the hardware up, and after boot taught me some rules such as if the system or program starts to act up to save work and to reboot. Most times the system will fix itself. Backup, backup, backup was another. Beware of 3rd party fixit or maintenance programs. And last but not least, where the Help files are. This is in the days of dialup and internet infancy. I learned more from the Help files not only about the OS, but about programs as well, especially complex programs like Office suite.

I'm not trying to boast here. These are basic rules of using a computer IMHO. Executive or not, users should know better to use Help. MS and other software companies spend a lot of time and money creating them. Why not use them for their purpose?

I see MS has moved some of the Help to the cloud via video tutorials as of late. One not even need to read for cripes sake. I hate to say it, but one could be an illiterate to learn most of 8. Basic navigation anyway.

On the subject of the thread; The solution to the learning curve is Help files. Read or watch videos on 8.

I had a construction foreman years ago that stated that there's one thing no one can teach an employee > enthusiasm. Either one has it or they don't. I noticed he let a new employee go if after a time that employee wasn't willing to learn things his way or a new way he came upon. In construction architectural design, engineered materials, and installation methods change frequently just as OSs change. Employees are there to make a company profit by being paid a wage, not whine about how difficult something is to learn or do. Produce or hit the road.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
As someone brand new to Windows 8, but a long time user of WinXP and Win7, I can attest to the fact that there is a serious learning curve. That said, once I learned to navigate and understood there was a dual interface between Metro and the desk-top, I really liked Windows 8. It was just something of a shock. Going from Windows 95 to ME to NT to XP to Win7 (I skipped Vista), you always had the most familiar aspects of the old system to get you started. Not so in Win8.

People just need to be forewarned that it will take awhile to get back up to speed. Most people have learned Android or IOS or whatnot with equally big learning curves. They can learn Win8 too if they understand it's going to be quite different from what they're used to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8
I'm not trying to boast here. These are basic rules of using a computer IMHO. Executive or not, users should know better to use Help. MS and other software companies spend a lot of time and money creating them. Why not use them for their purpose?
You aren't representative of corporate America. I've never once had somebody call me up and say, "hey I was reading the help files and I have a question".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I've found that very few people ever read the help files. Heck, I don't even read the help files, I search on Google

Agree. I've been in computers since 1998 and in all that time I may have looked at help files maybe 4 or 5 times.

And just because a person is a high ranking official that doesn't make them an expert in all things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
You aren't representative of corporate America.

By that I'll assume that most office workers or computer users in a office setting don't know at least some of these basics? Know where at and read help files? What a shame if that be true. If I or another construction worker doesn't know how to use a tool, ladder, and/or scaffold or set one up one properly it could create havoc. Do not users break systems if not knowing what they're doing?

I've never once had somebody call me up and say, "hey I was reading the help files and I have a question".

Not trying to be sarcastic, but it would make sense that they read the help file and didn't need to call you. Yes?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I've found that very few people ever read the help files. Heck, I don't even read the help files, I search on Google
Agree. I've been in computers since 1998 and in all that time I may have looked at help files maybe 4 or 5 times.

Then did you have a private tutor to teach you how to use an OS? You had to start somehow.

And just because a person is a high ranking official that doesn't make them an expert in all things.

Never said they had to be an expert in all things, just know some basics of a tool they're using or know where to find help easily when they're lost. I probably know more about computers and OSs than the average user, but I don't consider myself to be the savviest either. I do know one thing for sure > I know where the help files are, know how to read, and follow instructions.

Perhaps I'm just too "Old School". :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
If MS could create decent Help files and Tutorials, then there wouldn't be a plethora of sites like VistaForums, SevenForums and EightForums (just to name 3).

The vast number of Windows Help forums indicate that MS can't explain their products functions, or worse, don't even know how their products actually work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I was teaching college a couple of years ago when the first betas started to be available. I had my students try to figure out some things like how to log in, how to shut it off, how to locate different applications. They all had issues and the sad thing is all of these students were in their final months of graduation and had already taken all of the other computer classes. They all had issues with the basics with Windows 8. It isn't intuitive

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
There is an old term used in gaming to describe this, "pixel hunt". ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
W8 is all about the mouse....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes

Never said they had to be an expert in all things, just know some basics of a tool they're using or know where to find help easily when they're lost. I probably know more about computers and OSs than the average user, but I don't consider myself to be the savviest either. I do know one thing for sure > I know where the help files are, know how to read, and follow instructions.

Perhaps I'm just too "Old School". :think:

I'm as old school as you can get, and I still wouldn't criticize someone for not using the help files on a PC because, in my opinion, they aren't as easy to read or understand, especially if you aren't a computer "geek" as we are.

And regardless what you and I think, computers can be daunting, and intimidating, especially to those with just has basic knowledge. I see this all the time in my computer classes.

And just because you and I have knowledge doesn't mean everyone else does. What if you went to a doctor for an illness and he said - "couldn't you have looked that up on the internet instead of wasting my time? That's a pretty common sense illness you have there."

To him, it's common sense, to you and I...

Then did you have a private tutor to teach you how to use an OS? You had to start somehow.

The tutor I had was trial and error + reading and questioning. What I didn't utilize, and no one pushed, was the help files. That's me.

However I do recognize that not everyone is interested in computers beyond using them. Just as I'm not interested in medicine beyond keeping myself healthy.

My two cents.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
Had an executive who didn't have a pdf reader installed and was using the built in reader. After about 30 minutes of trying to figure
out how to print, he came to me. I showed him devices in the charms bar. He was a bit shocked that this basic function was so unintuitive.

OK then - how do you get to the Help files from Reader?!

Charms Bar for Start Screen specific or Store app specific: WinKey/C or mouse pointer/finger in the upper or lower right hand corner > choose Settings > Help. F1 remains the same on the blank desktop.
Er.... so I'm in Reader, bring up the Charms bar, and within Settings there's no Help option.

If you exit Reader and bring up the Charms bar outside Reader then yes, there's a Help option within Settings, but
a) you need to figure out how to exit Reader in the first place - and it's quite possible that was what you needed help on anyway!
b) it's hardly context sensitive
c) if you don't know Windows 8, how would you know to look for the Charms bar?
d) if you search within Help for "Reader" there seem to be no matches that relate to the app. So it's no help whatsoever!

So I'm still not sure how you think the Help files would have helped the person in pparks1's example trying to use Reader?
On the subject of the thread; The solution to the learning curve is Help files.
Yes but where are they?!

Even if they do exist, it's not easy to get to them.

In earlier versions of Windows you just pressed F1 or clicked on the word "Help" (or for instance "?" symbol) which you could see on the screen in front of you.

Windows 8 is so hopelessly intuitive in this area- Microsoft have failed big-time when it comes to Help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
I've never really found a 'help' file overly helpful or frequently even useful. The help files are usually written by the programmers and they do not know how to write help files in ways in which the common man can understand them. In part, that's why we get such things as the 'idiot's guide to...' It takes a completely different perspective and understanding of human thought processes, and often an actual user, to write effective operating guides. Programmers and usually people heavily into IT don't have those innate skills.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
You guys want a real learning curve, if so then here is one: Determine all the build up points, the size of the blocks, the size of the soft caps, and all the mathematical block lay outs using a transit in a graving dock. Oh, the ship you will be doing the work up for is USN Carrier. Those are just the easy part of dry docking a carrier for work up.

And, yes this is one of the things I enjoyed doing for a living.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Actually, the Help files were something Microsoft updated in Windows 8. If you go to the Settings Charm, Help is literally there. When you open it, the default things it shows are, "Getting Started, Internet and Networking, Security, privacy, and accounts." Getting Started LITERALLY shows you via text, pictures, and even yes, VIDEO.

Problem is, no one knows it's there and no one really uses it.

Using the Help files in Windows 8, it would cut out a good chunk of threads just in this site.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Interesting comments. They are posting e.g.

installing a 3rd party utility (StartIsBack) I find it's as good as if not better than Win7 - especially faster!
If they return the start button for non-touch PC's and have the option to boot to desktop then most users would have no problems upgrading.

He/she says return the start button. Obviously he/she means the start menu. To most people, it is the same thing.

If MS Julie thinks people will click the button and be delighted to have the start screen covering evrything up - she has got to be kidding.

Whoever is reading this for MS - please let Miss Julie know.

(She knows already - but at least I can say , I told you so )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
sure there are add-ons you can buy to achieve booting directly to the Windows 8 desktop and put the Start Menu back form other companies, however it should have been an option to start with built into Windows.

How many times have we seen that.

They won't be getting it, I don't think.

But MS have been given the message loud and clear.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
sure there are add-ons you can buy to achieve booting directly to the Windows 8 desktop and put the Start Menu back form other companies, however it should have been an option to start with built into Windows.

How many times have we seen that.

They won't be getting it, I don't think.

But MS have been given the message loud and clear.

It's amazing to think that a cola company in the early 80's (Coca Cola Company) took the hint about their iconic product and are still in business as a result. Perhaps today the same wouldn't be true..Why? The rise of MBAs, and the belief by modern day executives that they can force the customer to bend to THEIR needs. LOL

There is a LOT of arrogance in today's modern business world compared to just thirty years ago. It WAS COMMON for businesses to meet the needs and wants of the customer. Today it seems as if these over educated, overly self important MBA executives have the self deluded belief that they can do no wrong. I consider what I see at MANY companies today nothing short of shocking when it comes to making sure you KEEP the customer loyal.

It was very possible that if CCC hadn't listened to the wants of the customer they may very well have been driven out of business back in the 1980's after they mistakenly introduced "New Coke".

I seriously believe that if MS refuses to ACTUALLY address the legitimate and SERIOUS gripes about Windows 8 that MS may become a footnote in history.

It's nothing short of stunning if MS doesn't look at this business case from history and learn from it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
Back