Windows 8 - What do you think?

It is great on my Samsung Slate. I like the Metro "thing." The Metro menu slides smooth .. feels like my iPad. would like to pretty it up though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer Preview
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung Tablet
Seems to me like the olden days when internet appliances came out. (Iopener, Apple Newton, etc.)
And now with these computer devices unlike the past ones Microsoft sees something that will make a
serious impact, and as with those internet appliances I'm onboard again. BTW anyone interested in buying my old iOpener?
LoL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
It is great on my Samsung Slate. I like the Metro "thing." The Metro menu slides smooth .. feels like my iPad. would like to pretty it up though.

I hear you and this is all great for tablets. But let's have a good perspective on this. Tablets are not the place for a heavy and demanding computing experience. This is where you briefly check some email, read a book or a magazine and watch a brief video. Should we surbordinate a very robust OS to these tasks? I think not. In addition, why do so while degrading the desktop experience? It seems bizarre and counterproductive. In my opinion, this is one of the great upcoming disasters in computing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
I believe all the below may had been mentioned before, but I just skipped a dozen or so pages.

I've just booted back to Win7 after playing some hours on the Win8 and the Metro UI. The OS itself feels like... a regular Windows. I did not noticed big improvements whatsoever against, let's say, Win7.

However, this Metro UI... If anyone ever joked about Apple's Launchpad, well, Metro UI is a way poorly Launchpad implementation. I may be suspect saying this, as I do own a couple Apple products and I got quite used to their UI. But IMHO Metro is confusing. Don't get me wrong, I believe it has lots of potential, but right now is more lame than usable. Everything is so big (on a 30", 2048x1536 display, where I expected input texts and buttons to be scaled, they are all huge!). Maybe if I used it on a tablet my feelings may change, but on the desktop, this is going to turn out a fiasco - bigger than Windows ME.

I did liked the ribbon bar implementation on Windows Explorer, makes things on par with other Microsoft apps (notably Office 2010). And I could not test more, as both Socialite and Tweet@rama (or whatever it was called) is somewhat buggy - first not even logging on, the later partly working.

I loved that details screen which pops when you do move over Start menu - with the clock, wireless and some more details. They could add some more details over there, like weather (maybe I did not found how to add).

All in all, there is still plenty of work to be done. I, again, think it is too early to call Metro UI a "positive approach to a desktop revamp".

My Computer

I like Windows 8, but you can tell it's made for tablets. I can't really see how it will work for PC's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Linux & XP
I like Windows 8, but you can tell it's made for tablets. I can't really see how it will work for PC's.

It will surely be good for both kind of devices, but I think that the UI may have to be adequated to each one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff

It will surely be good for both kind of devices, but I think that the UI may have to be adequated to each one.

Well, a peculiar use of English!! I am sure that you meant "customized".

However, Microsoft would not do this. It cannot do this. The two major reasons for the Start Screen are

(a) Condition desktop users to the Metro-style interface. They can then go and buy Windows tablets and smartphones. This Pavlovian experiment would not work if there is a different interface or the current one (god forbid) on desktops. Actually, one can see evidence of this Pavlovian experiment working in this forum. I do not know who the "genius" was at Microsoft who devised it, but kudos to him. Steve Balmer's ass depends on it.
(b) Make money selling Metro-style (full screen) apps. Of course!!! The suckers will simply flock to the new paradigm. If the old interface was utilized, you can do all the things you need to do with desktop gadgets. Microsoft has killed virtually all of the desktop gadgets because it needs the money from the Metro-style apps. (Go check, most of them are gone!!!)

So, without intense user pressure and the threat of the whole Windows edifice collapsing, Microsoft is not going to make any changes and it would not make the Metro-style screen optional on the desktop (or customize it in any way). My guess: The Start Screen may be optional in the "Enterprise Version" of Win8 for which MS would want $300 for a single license (for suckers that do not have volume purchasing agreements). This would discourage typical users from buying it and installing it.

So, one is left with the totally laughable idea of a Start Screen as an overlay in a windowing OS running brain-dead, "full-screen" smartphone type of apps!!!Hurray, this is the future of Windows!!! Ridiculous!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Well, a peculiar use of English!! I am sure that you meant "customized".

Sorry for my bad english ...lol... :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
I've been playing with it for 7hrs.
I did as a dual boot. can I just delete the partition and all will be gone?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 oem
    Computer type
    Laptop
    asus s500ca
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3317U @ 1.70GHz :(
    Memory
    8GB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS545050A7E380 500GB
    KINGSTON SMSM150S324G 24GB SSD for caching??????
    Internet Speed
    35MB up/down
    Browser
    IE 11
If you imaged the 100MB system partition before the double boot, restore that. Else delete Win8 in msconfig > boot tab

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I kind of agree with you. Protection from MS is not what I am looking forward to. I caught enough nasties with MSE. And defrag I do not need for mz SSD. The new task manager is OK, but I get the same info from Resource Monitor.

If those are the only highlights, I am really unimpressed.
What I love about the new Task Manager is that it simply has a neater design, better coloring of these bars and graphs than the old boring Task Manager or even the Resource Monitor that has black and green bars and graphs which is quite a legacy design that should have been made neater on Windows 7 in the first place in my view.
What do you think about the Native PDF reader? Well it may be very basic. Its like Wordpad compared to MS Word when compared to Adobe Reader.

I hate the Secure Boot. Well its supposed to protect your bootup from viruses but it also locks off non Windows OSs from booting. I hope it gets pulled off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
Secure boot is a GREAT, and needed feature. And to Vertex, you can simply create a new partition and install any O/S you like outside of Win 8. This is my opinion, only someone that wants to send spam, or malware wouldn't like this feature.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Secure boot is a GREAT, and needed feature. And to Vertex, you can simply create a new partition and install any O/S you like outside of Win 8. This is my opinion, only someone that wants to send spam, or malware wouldn't like this feature.

Try to create a new partition in 2 Tb disk and resize the rest and see how much time this involves!!! I do not think that this is a realistic suggestion. I have done it, but this is not something that I would recommend it easily to anybody. In any case, I find the rationale quite weird. At a time when it is progressively easier and easier to run multiple OSes, MS is trying to hit the brakes. It is certainly going to make MS look bad when many of its competitors do not place such obstacles and, indeed, make it easier to run various OSs.

However, this is much in keeping with Win8 being a "consumer" OS, not really meant for serious users. My guess that this feature has been placed there to make it difficult to run Android on Win8 Tablets. It was not really thought out as a total obstacle on the desktop. Microsoft figured out that many users would be temped by Android ICS and the hundreds of thousands of apps there and would proceed to install it. MS is rather afraid of competing against Android in these platforms.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
MS is rather afraid of competing against Android in these platforms. [end-quote]

No they are NOT If need be Bill Gates would just buy them out. (example: Apple Mac's & IBM's O/Ses) *LMAO* Being funny aside, there are plenty of boot managers
out there that could do it simply. Not a big deal. I am running on a 1T drive Win 8 DP, Win 7, and Win XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I am running on a 1T drive Win 8 DP, Win 7, and Win XP.

I run Windows 7 x64; Windows 8 DP x64; Windows Server 2008 R2

2x 500gb (System)
1x 1000gb (Storage)

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
MS is rather afraid of competing against Android in these platforms. [end-quote]

No they are NOT If need be Bill Gates would just buy them out. (example: Apple Mac's & IBM's O/Ses) *LMAO* Being funny aside, there are plenty of boot managers
out there that could do it simply. Not a big deal. I am running on a 1T drive Win 8 DP, Win 7, and Win XP.

You did not pay attention to what I said. I said that the problem would be mainly in the tablets. These are consumer products and consumers do not want to deal with boot managers and the like. It is also unlikely that with these restrictions a single app can manage to install ICS, which is what MS wants to avoid. In the desktop, there are solutions although, of course, MS is not doing it easier to deal with multiple OSes.

By the way, to judge the possible success of the Start Screen, think Ubuntu One and what disaster that was.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Back