Windows 8 really isn't that bad

Well, Vista wasn't so bad neither. Aero and the indexing service were drags on resources, but once you disabled these it was a pretty decent OS. Same with W8. What we don't like, we fix it by installing Classic Start or Start8 among other things. Others learned how to configure the Start Screen in a more useful way. If I have to ues W8, you can make sure I''ll will dismantle it down to the chassi and rebuild it to my liking.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
The DP and Enterprise are the only versions that can correctly install my sound driver.
I'm very confused as to why the Enterprise would handle your sound driver any differently than say the Windows 8 Pro version. Seems very odd to me.

Agreed.

Still drivers are unreliable.
Just look at all of the driver problem threads on the Internet.
You will often see a group of people complaining and another group saying that the driver works perfectly.

W8 CP and W8 RP both reported the sound driver as correctly installed, but they would only make buzzing noises.:confused:
I tried reinstalling the RP 3x (and I checked the hash numbers) just in case it was an install failure.
No dice.

I think that MS screwed something up in the CP and RP and it has been fixed in the latest releases.

I should point out that I am running W8 (DP, CP ,RP and ENT) on VHDs.

But if you don't need fullscreen apps, don't use them. If the Start Screen is what bugs you, ok, great. I don't understand how that's a huge problem when at most, I don't see what's on the Desktop for a few seconds when I click on Desktop app tile. I don't get how it's counterproductive to have your Desktop windows as they, go to the Start Screen, and start a new program and quickly get back to the Desktop as you left it.

Once you install real programs, you can (mostly) avoid the Metro screen and Apps (e.g. Photo and PDF).

If you don't install real programs, the Apps will hijack your session.
Desktop apps will be the major chunk of what people will install as they normally have done in the past. The metro apps are just additional. I personally don't want having the Music app open when I want a music file played when I'm on the Desktop, so I changed that. That's me. And also the current iteration of Xbox Music isn't even feature complete either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Well, Vista wasn't so bad neither. Aero and the indexing service were drags on resources, but once you disabled these it was a pretty decent OS. Same with W8. What we don't like, we fix it by installing Classic Start or Start8 among other things. Others learned how to configure the Start Screen in a more useful way. If I have to ues W8, you can make sure I''ll will dismantle it down to the chassi and rebuild it to my liking.
vista was bad all around for me. It needed a few third party apps and digging around system settings to get the hardware optimized. Even then, it felt like it needed weekly attention whereas 8 doesn't even need my input for almost nothing except for a few things that do, like startup items.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
OK--I'll admit it, I'm starting to like it and maybe I'llupgrade. Not sure yet, but I might. There is one thing that ticks me off. WhenI hover my mouse pointer in one of the corners, it's supposed to bring up theMetro or whatever it's called; or maybe it's called the Charm. But what I don'tlike is the fact that it doesn't always work the first time. Sometimes I haveto keep moving it around to bring it up. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Hasanyone else run into that and know of a way to make it more consistent?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
Coke said:
I don't get how it's counterproductive to have your Desktop windows as they, go to the Start Screen, and start a new program and quickly get back to the Desktop as you left it.
It's counterproductive (or annoying) because the Start Screen is totaly concealing the work space. It's creating a cognitive displacement. Some poeple (including myself) experience this: They repair something, then they need to go to another room to fetch a screwdriver. They go to the other room and there they completely forgot why they went there for. Back to the workshop, they remembre they needed a screwdriver and return to the other room to finaly fetch the screwdriver. This is a perfectly normal psychological phenomenon. Same with the W8 Start Screen, you go to another space (and Microsoft does makes sure it looks like another space and makes abundantly clear it is) to fetch a tool. Everytime you go back and forth from Metro to Desktop, your brain makes an inconcious but sometimes concious effort to recontextualize. This doesn't happen with the classsic Start Menu because it only displays collumns of icons. You remain visualy in your work context. You are not taken away to another background.
Coke said:
I don't understand how that's a huge problem
Moreover, you now have to deal with two working spaces instead of one: The Metro/W8 UI with its own applications and its own logic and the Desktop with also its own applications and its own logic. Poeple have been enough complaining that there is no interractivity between the two, that you don't even know which programs are running in Metro, that the Metro Start Screen can pop up at any time, especialy at the least expected moment, that you can't open the same softwares in the two environements, that you even need two different versions of IE etc. It's like dual booting W7/Commodore64 but both OSes boot at once and you need to constantly move from one to amother because you can't do all operations in W7. IMO it will be more productive to be able to do everything on W7.2, aka. W8 without Metro.
Coke said:
If the Start Screen is what bugs you, ok, great.
If at least the Start Screen could leave the Taskbar visible, it would already be much simplier, much easier to understand and with time going, to adopt. (I think that a resize and a minimize is asking too much. ...Isn't it?)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
It's counterproductive (or annoying) because the Start Screen is totaly concealing the work space. It's creating a cognitive displacement. Some poeple (including myself) experience this:

I actually get this, to put it more simply you feel like your swimming up stream, I felt allot of resistance to the 2 separate screens. The 2 worlds are like oil and water, I can see cokes point about using it long enough, but for me it's more like settling. If you swim in the sewer long enough you may not smell it anymore but it really still stinks. However after 4 days of solid use I did get over that feeling, however metro is still not as efficient as my classic shell menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7 x 64 windows 8 x 64
    Dell r15
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel hd 3000

Vista not so bad.......YEAH RIGHT. MY GOD......

Come on Fred get serious.

Win 8 is the best thing MS ever produced. I say this again and again and again.

And again and again...if one does not like it stay on Vista, Win 7, XP, Win 95, Linux, whatever, but PLEASE

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps

Vista not so bad.......YEAH RIGHT. MY GOD......

Come on Fred get serious.

Win 8 is the best thing MS ever produced. I say this again and again and again.

And again and again...if one does not like it stay on Vista, Win 7, XP, Win 95, Linux, whatever, but PLEASE

Jeff

Vista was NOT that bad, the press and local gossip overblew that fiasco by 10x or more. Same exact logic applied to Apple (Though inverted). Apple isn't really all that great, their facade is perfectly shiny, that does not make the ipad or their laptops any better than any windows machine, people just /think/ they are better. People for the most part just /think/ Vista was bad because that's all they ever heard.

Windows 8 on the other hand REALLY IS bad. (Ok Metro is bad, the desktop, while horribly crippled and stripped bare of any beauty it ever had, is still workable... for now)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I still use Vista.

I think there issues at the beginning - lack of 3rd party driver support.

People were plugging in 5 yr old printers and the like , then getting mad when they didn't work. Probably because the printer manufacturer couldn't be bothered to provide drivers - and why should they?

Would have been better if MS had provided slider controls for the rather over enthusiastic uac - and for shadowstorage.

In other respects , a very fine o/s.

64 bit Vista runs beautifully on my 5yr old machine with 2gb ram.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
RE: The Fairy Wand

At first it would just pop out apparently at random.

MS have tried to tuck it away to prevent that.

I agree - you have to fish about for the thing - but it's better than having it putting in an appearance whenever the fancy takes it.

If you don't like edge UI - there are programs that will disable it.

OK--I'll admit it, I'm starting to like it and maybe I'llupgrade. Not sure yet, but I might. There is one thing that ticks me off. WhenI hover my mouse pointer in one of the corners, it's supposed to bring up theMetro or whatever it's called; or maybe it's called the Charm. But what I don'tlike is the fact that it doesn't always work the first time. Sometimes I haveto keep moving it around to bring it up. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Hasanyone else run into that and know of a way to make it more consistent?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I still use Vista.

I think there issues at the beginning - lack of 3rd party driver support.

People were plugging in 5 yr old printers and the like , then getting mad when they didn't work. Probably because the printer manufacturer couldn't be bothered to provide drivers - and why should they?

Would have been better if MS had provided slider controls for the rather over enthusiastic uac - and for shadowstorage.

In other respects , a very fine o/s.

64 bit Vista runs beautifully on my 5yr old machine with 2gb ram.

I agree.

I have Vista (the x64) on an older laptop too and works very well.
One you get to SP2 it's solid, it's almost Win7, just the UI differs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
You can in fact get rid of all that useless fiffle from win8 -boot straight to desktop - none of that start screen and edge ui stuff.

Then what are you left with?

A shadow of a desktop o/s that is awful to look at.

I don't know what we are expecting.

It is an o/s for Tablets.

It is not for a proper desktop/laptop. It never was.

It probably works well on a tablet - I wouldn't know.

Of course, it is possible to run it on a proper machine - but it is also possible to rake the garden with a dining fork.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
You can in fact get rid of all that useless fiffle from win8 -boot straight to desktop - none of that edge ui stuff.

Then what are you left with?

A shadow of a desktop o/s that is awful to look at.

I don't know what we are expecting.

It is an o/s for Tablets.

It is not for a proper desktop/laptop. It never was.

It probably works well on a tablet - I wouldn't know.

Of course, it is possible to run it on a proper machine - but it is also possible to rake the garden with a dining fork.

Wonderful comments.. Get ready for yet another post to follow, about how all you have to do to get the leaves raked up properly with that fork, is get down on your hands and knees and duck tape the fork to your hand. Walla.. See, now it performs just like a rake..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Gentlemen, lets get it right the BEST O/S to come out of Redmond was NT4! Bar none.

Really?

To be honest, I never used it (how is it look like? I guess Win 2000??).

And there may be other posts following saying that Win 95 was the best OS...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
XP really was the very best OS for it's time. I mean it lasted 6 years without a major update! It melded the rock solid stability of Windows 2000 with the useful user fluff like plesent graphics in the UI and Direct X so you could play games etc. Windows reached a utopia at that point in time.

Windows 7 is, in the new age, the very best version of Windows. Good if not revolutionary UI. Supremely usable, did everything and did it well.

We'll see where Win 8 winds up on the windows pile in a year or two...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Coke said:
I don't get how it's counterproductive to have your Desktop windows as they, go to the Start Screen, and start a new program and quickly get back to the Desktop as you left it.
It's counterproductive (or annoying) because the Start Screen is totaly concealing the work space. It's creating a cognitive displacement. Some poeple (including myself) experience this: They repair something, then they need to go to another room to fetch a screwdriver. They go to the other room and there they completely forgot why they went there for. Back to the workshop, they remembre they needed a screwdriver and return to the other room to finaly fetch the screwdriver. This is a perfectly normal psychological phenomenon. Same with the W8 Start Screen, you go to another space (and Microsoft does makes sure it looks like another space and makes abundantly clear it is) to fetch a tool. Everytime you go back and forth from Metro to Desktop, your brain makes an inconcious but sometimes concious effort to recontextualize. This doesn't happen with the classsic Start Menu because it only displays collumns of icons. You remain visualy in your work context. You are not taken away to another background.
Coke said:
I don't understand how that's a huge problem
Moreover, you now have to deal with two working spaces instead of one: The Metro/W8 UI with its own applications and its own logic and the Desktop with also its own applications and its own logic. Poeple have been enough complaining that there is no interractivity between the two, that you don't even know which programs are running in Metro, that the Metro Start Screen can pop up at any time, especialy at the least expected moment, that you can't open the same softwares in the two environements, that you even need two different versions of IE etc. It's like dual booting W7/Commodore64 but both OSes boot at once and you need to constantly move from one to amother because you can't do all operations in W7. IMO it will be more productive to be able to do everything on W7.2, aka. W8 without Metro.
Coke said:
If the Start Screen is what bugs you, ok, great.
If at least the Start Screen could leave the Taskbar visible, it would already be much simplier, much easier to understand and with time going, to adopt. (I think that a resize and a minimize is asking too much. ...Isn't it?)

But going to the Start Screen from the Desktop isn't like walking through a door opening.... There isn't really anything physical there that makes you forget what you were doing, at least for me. If I'm working on some photos, I go to Start, scroll over a bit and open up Photoshop on the Desktop while still being able to see what windows I have open to compare two photos side by side. I guess I don't forget anything.

As I see it, the Start Screen is taking the tradition Desktop's purpose of hosting program icons and putting that layer on top. These days, the Desktop is being used more and more as a nice picture background with icons pinned to the Taskbar instead of the Desktop. Now, if you had a few windows open, it would be a pain to click on the Show Desktop button, minimize EVERYTHING as to open one program or folder. Then to restore those windows, you need to manually do that. More clicks, more time, more tediousness. Now, that's where the Start Screen's concept comes in. Instead of doing all that, it takes the Desktop, slips it out from the bottom layer and puts in on top of everything when you go to it. So that way, windows stay open and right where they are. That's how I see, if that makes any sense.

But as for the start menu, that argument/debate has been long done and the simple conclusion is that a considerable amount of users don't use it to its fullest extent. On a side tangent, if Windows 8 had to traditional UI, it was stagnate like the mac os. You really can't develop anything better or worthwhile anymore. Windows 7 was the perfect OS and 8 is a beginning of a new series. You can't take Windows 7, made some UI elements prettier/better and call it Windows 8 and ask for 200 dollars to install it. I mean, if you go to the Customization forum and go to Post your Start Screen, you'll see a couple people changing the UI of Start. Basically, I'm trying to get across that by using the Start Screen, there is MUCH more development potential than the menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
XP really was the very best OS for it's time. I mean it lasted 6 years without a major update! It melded the rock solid stability of Windows 2000 with the useful user fluff like plesent graphics in the UI and Direct X so you could play games etc. Windows reached a utopia at that point in time.

Windows 7 is, in the new age, the very best version of Windows. Good if not revolutionary UI. Supremely usable, did everything and did it well.

We'll see where Win 8 winds up on the windows pile in a year or two...

To think that xp's graphics are pleasant today... :sick:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back