Windows 8 bashing!

As I said 136 posts ago. A breath of fresh air - but since got a very stale.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
I agree. SIW2 does do a fair amount of what I'd consider "trolling", and seemingly is consistent on the fact that Windows 8 is no good. Not saying all his/her posts are incorrect or bad/tarnishing, but some of the bashing needs to cut back. +1

SIW2 is no troll. SIW2 has been around the Vista, 7, and 8 forums for some time and has contributed mightily to all, even developing some software programs to help make using the OS's easier. He is also highly regarded member amongst the some of old heads here (here being Vista, 7 & 8 forums), which is all run by the same admin staff.

Anyway we don't have to agree with everything he says, I can't say I do, but it's not like he's completely out in left field either. So to call him a troll is bit unfair.

My two cents.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
The START page is an okay idea for a mobile or a tablet. The desktop is still there to use, which I immediately did, after taking almost everything (useless nonsense) off the Start page. The problem then is finding what one wants. Luckily, on the desktop screen, my folders are still in the same places, so I can navigate those main bits and bobs the 'old' way. There was no problem with this, as this is the way I customised it over time. I just wish that the settings and toolboxes for ppt/word/office/etc. were saved too! Some form of transition - as mentioned previously - would have been very welcome. Even just keeping the old programs and giving a tutorial to how one can make the new one have the same toolbar options - in the same places. (2010 is just too BIG on the screen - probably for the tablet and mobile market...) I can see the appeal for the tablet market especially. This is probably (almost certainly) going to be the future. But the home desktop p.c. needs a desktop AND a customisable start menu. Yes, I know that win 8 has those. Those people who insisted on having EVERY SINGLE icon on their desktop, rather than arrange their stuff neatly into folders, (Stupidly confusing IMO) this is an easy changeover. I only ever used to use the start menu previously if I didn't know where to look automatically. Everything else was in a folder under a subject. It still is and that's the way it is staying. You might ask why I changed? Well I stupidly believed what the idolisers were saying - and the fact that it was only £25!
On a positive note, 'Custom Guide' has the PDF's of 'how to' find and use all the '2010' programs. Just don't part with any money as they are all available for nothing.
My son (8) has had 2010 at school since 2010 (!) so he can jump straight in and be marvellous. I'm trying to be positive.
But I hate it.
Bill Windows - if you are a programmer, then why not make something better than Apple and which competes positively rather than stir up a Hornets nest of bad vibes to downright hatred? The same goes for all programmers. BTW, I hate iTunes as it is just stupidly laid out. WMP is fine, (which is the best of a bad bunch IMO) but not when it decides when and where to arrange ones media, when it was arranged perfectly on the flippin' album!
I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I'm not the type to use the "cheapo" earbuds that come with anything. My headphones at work are Grado SR-125's. At home, my daughter and I share a pair of Audio Technica ATHM50s. While these aren't super high end, they are better than what a majority of home users use. For running and working out, I use a pair of Sennheiser PMX-680's as these have proven to stay in my ears and sound better when running than anything else I have ever tried.

did you see these?

Sennheiser_Orpheus_HE_90_und_HEV_90_Bild_Breit_670.jpg

Sennheiser Orpheus HE90. now these are headphones I wish I could try out. $16000. *sigh* one could dream.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
did you see these?

View attachment 14619

Sennheiser Orpheus HE90. now these are headphones I wish I could try out. $16000. *sigh* one could dream.

Ah yes, what a beautiful setup. It would be hard to find source material worth playback on that setup. I would guess that MANY would actually be underwhelmed with a setup like that. They simply wouldn't know WHAT to look for in the sound to justify the cost of the setup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
did you see these?

View attachment 14619

Ah yes, what a beautiful setup. It would be hard to find source material worth playback on that setup. I would guess that MANY would actually be underwhelmed with a setup like that. They simply wouldn't know WHAT to look for in the sound to justify the cost of the setup.

I am hard of hearing and have a pair of super portable ones called hearing aids they were $5000.00 LOL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
did you see these?

View attachment 14619

I am hard of hearing and have a pair of super portable ones called hearing aids they were $5000.00 LOL

Drum & bugle corps, Led Zeppelin, a lot of other concerts, and forty years of construction put a toll on my ears. :(

Now, what was that you said?! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling