Windows 8 bashing!

Just FYI, I recall seeing a recent mention of a you tube video about getting a Start Button on win 8 by means of a registry edit. Didn't follow up as I have to build a new pc before I adopt win 8. Try appropriately googling a question.
Pedro

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit w/Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home build
    CPU
    Core i7-3770
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X -UD5H LG1155 (V. 1.0)
    Memory
    Crucial 32Gb DDR3 1600mHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte AMD Radeon GV-R785OC-2GB
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo L220 xwC ThinkVision
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x Crucial M4 512Gb SSD
    1 x Samsung 1TB USB3 Ext HDD
    PSU
    OCZ ZS 650W
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 400R
    Cooling
    Noctua - C12P SE14
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless 5000 Series
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless 5000 Series
    Internet Speed
    35Mbs down 8Mbs up
    Other Info
    2 x Samsung SH-224 24x SATA ReWriter Optical Drives
    1 x NZXT 5.25" Internal Card Reader / 2 x USB3 ports
    Logitech C615 Webcam
    Hauppage WinTV 7 HD
Just FYI, I recall seeing a recent mention of a you tube video about getting a Start Button on win 8 by means of a registry edit. Didn't follow up as I have to build a new pc before I adopt win 8. Try appropriately googling a question.
Pedro

Microsoft removed that hack.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
What do you need a Start button for?

The only start button you need is the one on your computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I don't think that's true of pparks1 at all -- I'm sure he knows how to operate more different types of OS'es than the number of hot dinners most people have ever eaten in their lives.

I should rephrase that.

"You hate Windows 8 because you didn't know how to use it, and that made you feel embarrassed."

What I see happening is people not knowing how to use it, and they get frustrated and decide they hate it. This is even worse with techies, because their ego is invested in their technical skill.

Even if they subsequently learn how to use it, that first impression and feeling of embarrassment about being technically incompetent with it prevails, and they find other excuses to back up their first impression.

I've read many cases where someone is bashing Windows 8 for this reason and that reason, but at some point they admit to having been embarrassed in front of a client or friend because they asked them for help with Windows 8, and they fumbled around with it and were lost. Maybe not everyone has had that experience, but I find that people who are open minded take to Windows 8. It's only people that make snap judgments about it who seem to persist, continually trying to find reasons to justify their dislike.

1) The whole idea of totally full screen mode by default for new apps (Metro UI stuff) - especially if you are using very large monitors, multiple monitors or a combination of both. Most Office type power users usually have many windows open at the same time -- typical examples would be translating documents from one language into two or more different languages, incorporating data from several documents into a new spread sheet / presentation, simply comparing documents, or preparing high quality photos / images for pre-press using Photoshop where you could have several layers -- especially if using CYMK for the press submission.

This is something you don't need to use, and can completely ignore. Yet they keep harping about it as if they're forced to use it. They're not. You're not. This is something you keep acting like, and it's very old. You don't have to use metro. You know that, but yet you keep pretending otherwise, just so you have something to complain about. Why? What drives you to make these illogical arguments that are not based in reality?

2) The lack of any sort of hierarchical structure to be able to quickly access applications that are sub functions or sub-sub functions or even sub sub sub functions of the main application. - Scrolling endlessly horizontally isn't a good way to work efficiently -- and you can't always pin everything to the task bar or desktop -- particularly if you do a lot of photoshop where a basic plain grey background is probably the best place to start from.

Which of course is also optional, because there are tons of third party start menu replacements.

But be that as it may, tile groups make it effectively hierarchical. Search makes finding things instantaneous. Contextual Zooming allows for collapsing groups. It has plenty of ways to organize things. Hell, you can use something like Fences. There are plenty of third party app launchers. This is such an amazingly stupid thing to get hung up on, and to devote so much hatred towards. Your choices are endless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
as for phillipduran and people like him, they can keep climbing every soapbox, trying to keep things the same. but things will change regardless. and that's where entrepreneurs will make their niche market and business. for those that want the Windows 7 style start menu, they can buy those programs. for people that want to have OSX style launchers, they can buy those programs. or better yet, if you don't want to change, then don't upgrade. Windows 7 is still great so you can stay with what you're used to.

But you don't need to try to teach people that Windows 8 is bad because you want to hold on to what you have. And if it's your choice not to upgrade, there's no reason to try to tell people not to upgrade either. It's like when music CD's were dying and people were lambasting the poor quality of digital music, that uncompressed audio CDs had much better quality, etc. etc. that people shouldn't be moving to digital music. or when records went on to CD's, how CDs didn't have the nuance of records and poorer sound quality.

things move on. it's not your job to try to stop things. but yet there are those audiophiles that feel the need to go into every digital media forum and say how music has suffered because of the digital era all the time. as if they're complaining will somehow keep things from changing.

I know part of the reason why people are trying to keep things from moving forward is they feel like they are being forced to move forward. but there's nothing you can do about it. and it does kind of suck to have to upgrade when you don't want to . but just as some devices and software stopped being supported for Windows XP, forcing people to upgrade to Windows 7, it's happening again. but no one says you have to stay on the curve. I know plenty of people who haven't bought software in years, still working away on their Pentium III in Windows XP, using Office 97 or Office XP and that's perfectly fine.

as for how complex things are now... that's more a functionality of familiarity than anything. I'll use my Android/Windows 8 example again. I was lost at how to close a Windows Store app (a swipe down from the top edge of the screen). I had to google how to do it. But I was sitting on the toilet with my Android tablet, did my swipe to close the app, forgetting that I was on my Android tablet and not my Windows tablet. On Android, I had to do multiple steps just to close the app. But with the Windows version of the app, one quick swipe and it's closed. I now think the Android way of closing an app is kind of arcane and old-fashioned.

there are skills I used to have from my Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 days that are far harder and more complex than anything you can do in Windows 8 but they're obsolete at this point. I remember all the cool CLI stuff and toggles I'd do just to make an MP3 with my LAME encoder and other tools. Nowadays, programs like iTunes and Zune do everything better and faster.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I and those who have some issues with the way the UI has been implemented is bashing Windows 8 and wishing it would fail. No one here is saying things should stay the same, that Windows 8 is bad, telling people not to upgrade, or trying and stop progress. You are utterly, utterly, imagining things if that's what you read from people's posts. Point out one instance of that.

It's actually people like you who completely fail to acknowledge that there are valid points raised by those who use PCs for other than social activities and that they have valid reasons for desiring some uniformity/familiarity as far as their real work is concerned. I find Windows 8 and the UI easy as anything to use, it took me no time at all to figure it out, but I don't like it for what I do, hence why I have installed Classic Shell. Microsoft's idea of a menu doesn't enthuse me, I can certainly use it, but I find it pointless for my work.

No one who attacks my comments has ever discussed my points about the potential of the active tiles being used in a much more functional fashion, in a desktop environment. I've given countless examples, yet they all seem to fly over the heads of those who refuse to admit that things could be done differently in that respect as well and keep banging on about haters. You wonder why people keep repeating these things? Well, it's because you and others keep repeating your view of the world and never acknowledging that there are valid points being raised by others who have differing needs. And remember, all of the comments relate to the desktop PCs, mobile phones, tablets, TVs and similar devices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Come on now Ray there have been numerous attempts of people trying to talk people out of Windows 8 and hoping that Microsoft would fail. Numerous comments that Windows 8 is a mess and a total disaster and that somehow Microsoft was forcing them to do all kinds of ludicrous things.

Also comments that Microsoft is doing this just to get into the pockets of people, well that's what businesses do, that's how they survive, a shining example is Apple with its ludicrously priced cables and accessories, not to mention their Laptops and PCs, at least MS isn't as bad as that, but they have to make a living.

If you want to talk about how Microsoft can improve on what it's doing fine, just try to go about it in the right way, even I will listen to you, if you're just going to keep bringing up old stuff, I'm deaf.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Come on now Ray there have been numerous attempts of people trying to talk people out of Windows 8 and hoping that Microsoft would fail. Numerous comments that Windows 8 is a mess and a total disaster and that somehow Microsoft was forcing them to do all kinds of ludicrous things.

No pulling numbers from a dark, wet, place; show some actual quotes where this has been said and by whom.

Also comments that Microsoft is doing this just to get into the pockets of people, well that's what businesses do, that's how they survive, a shining example is Apple with its ludicrously priced cables and accessories, not to mention their Laptops and PCs, at least MS isn't as bad as that, but they have to make a living.

People have long abbreviated Microsoft to M$, meaning they are just money hungry, but I don't know why you even mention this.

If you want to talk about how Microsoft can improve on what it's doing fine, just try to go about it in the right way, even I will listen to you, if you're just going to keep bringing up old stuff, I'm deaf.

I'll keep bringing up the same points, as clearly do others, because those points are valid. As I said, whenever they are raised, the opponents counter by not actually addressing those concerns, but arguing that they don't see a problem; therefore, the person who raised the concern is the real problem.

Your way is not always the right way, as others have pointed out, so you'll just have to learn to live with things that you don't like. Life can be like that at times. The best thing to do is not get involved in the discussions and perhaps they'll eventually stop. Or not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Come on Ray I don't even have to look for the derogatory comments, I know some of the names of the people who have made them. I'm not here to start a flame war, which would ensue for sure.

I bought up the money because one person sees Windows 8 as some kind of communist plot.

I'm not trying to force my way on anyone, the opposite in fact, I say give Windows 8 a go, if you really don't like it go back to Windows 7 or XP.

What I do say is that Windows 8 is nowhere near as bad as some people make out, and in actual fact it's better in a lot of ways, it's just a slightly different way of doing things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I fear that Microsoft M$, has brought this kind of "dispute" on by there attempt (Win8) to lump all of it's user's into
one group I.E. desktop,Ipad,Ipod,Iphone,Etc. As a result, have offended there core "group" desktop user's, which made
them the mega corp. they are. This could have been prevented, by giving all there user's a choice of what their primary
computing needs are, and which version of Win 8 to install at the beginning of the installation process. I, for one
am a desktop user and rarely use the "Metro" side of win8 and would have been happy to have waved it off at the
initial installation process. I still believe win8 is a good desktop operating system. I to resent being lumped in with
"couch Tablet" users, I rather fancy myself "PROUDLY" as a "COMPUTER" geek {albeit in training} but a geek
non-the less........
walex

My Computer

System One

• OS
    MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1070T
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (AM3)
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 688MHz (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    DELL ST2421L (1920x1080@60Hz) 1023MB GeForce GT 430 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Come on Ray I don't even have to look for the derogatory comments, I know some of the names of the people who have made them. I'm not here to start a flame war, which would ensue for sure.

I bought up the money because one person sees Windows 8 as some kind of communist plot.

I'm not trying to force my way on anyone, the opposite in fact, I say give Windows 8 a go, if you really don't like it go back to Windows 7 or XP.

What I do say is that Windows 8 is nowhere near as bad as some people make out, and in actual fact it's better in a lot of ways, it's just a slightly different way of doing things.

When you're debating something, proof is paramount; not hearsay, assumed/common knowledge etc. I haven't seen one post, that I can recollect, where anyone has wished foul on Microsoft. Most people who have been critical of the Windows 8 UI have given it a try and they still continue to use it, but have been forced to install third party programs so that they can experience what they find more functional and efficient.

No one is disputing that the underlying Windows 8 OS is very good and that there are some excellent features in the core that makes it better than Windows 7. But it's the UI that's the issue for many and it's also the cornerstone of what Microsoft is pushing, with all the other features barely rating a mention.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have an example of a Windows 8 annoyance I experienced today. I was using a Windows 8 laptop, and was in the process of configuring a router. So I had to open a PDF, and while it was nice there was a built in reader, it opened full screen and therefore I was unable to see my connection to the router. Why in the world would I not be able to resize that PDF reader, so I could have it open beside my configuration window so I could reference the instructions while inputting the commands? (Because somebody who would have done the same in a tablet would not have had resizable Windows...so I guess desktop users should not have it either) Then when I finished with the reader and dragged it to the bottom to close it, instead of going back to the desktop where my router connection was, it left me in the damn start screen.

Sure, had it been my everyday use machine I would have certainly replaced the metro version of the PDF reader with a desktop version that could be resized..but it's a shame that I have to replace everything in Windows 8 with something else.

Just another reason using Windows 8 irritates me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Max, I can use my usage as a guide because I've been a computer nut for many years, my usage is changing, I'm going more mobile, the rest of the world is going mobile. I don't want to sit at a desk if I can sit in my lounge.

A lot of people these days can get by just fine with a tablet, they don't need a big clunky PC to go on the Net, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, these are the facts.

Sure there are lots of jobs that need a desktop, but these are becoming less. You're usage doesn't count, not everyone's a software developer.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft didnt make these drastic changes because the desktop market is growing, they know the world is going mobile and have changed tack to keep their market share.

My usage "doesn't count" eh? I'll tell that to the other million or so developers. ;-)

I'm not disputing that the market is changing, I'm disputing your assertion that the desktop is "fading" away. I won't waste any more time now, though ... you can re-read my post if you still don't get it.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Max, your usage counts as much as the Beekeeper's usage, sure people have different uses for computers, but there are only so many beekeepers and so many developers:D.

Actually, when I say desktop, I mean the big box, the one I'm using now. Windows 8 will allow for all kinds of convertibles and phablets with touch, as well as laptops with touch, this I believe will spur the PC industry to new heights, but only if Windows 8 succeeds.

I actually see a very bright future for the PC industry, the problem is do they see it and are they going to climb on board, because its not going to be an easy trip.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Have you considered it is moving backward. Just because you have been presented with it as being "new" - that doesn't mean it is "better" or "moving forward".

dirtyvu

I know part of the reason why people are trying to keep things from moving forward is they feel like they are being forced to move forward

What exactly is the big picture, do you think?

Where do MS want the users to be in the near future?

dirtyvu
but does it matter in the big picture?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
as for phillipduran and people like him, they can keep climbing every soapbox, trying to keep things the same. but things will change regardless. and that's where entrepreneurs will make their niche market and business. for those that want the Windows 7 style start menu, they can buy those programs. for people that want to have OSX style launchers, they can buy those programs. or better yet, if you don't want to change, then don't upgrade. Windows 7 is still great so you can stay with what you're used to.

But you don't need to try to teach people that Windows 8 is bad because you want to hold on to what you have. And if it's your choice not to upgrade, there's no reason to try to tell people not to upgrade either. It's like when music CD's were dying and people were lambasting the poor quality of digital music, that uncompressed audio CDs had much better quality, etc. etc. that people shouldn't be moving to digital music. or when records went on to CD's, how CDs didn't have the nuance of records and poorer sound quality.

things move on. it's not your job to try to stop things. but yet there are those audiophiles that feel the need to go into every digital media forum and say how music has suffered because of the digital era all the time. as if they're complaining will somehow keep things from changing.

I know part of the reason why people are trying to keep things from moving forward is they feel like they are being forced to move forward. but there's nothing you can do about it. and it does kind of suck to have to upgrade when you don't want to . but just as some devices and software stopped being supported for Windows XP, forcing people to upgrade to Windows 7, it's happening again. but no one says you have to stay on the curve. I know plenty of people who haven't bought software in years, still working away on their Pentium III in Windows XP, using Office 97 or Office XP and that's perfectly fine.

as for how complex things are now... that's more a functionality of familiarity than anything. I'll use my Android/Windows 8 example again. I was lost at how to close a Windows Store app (a swipe down from the top edge of the screen). I had to google how to do it. But I was sitting on the toilet with my Android tablet, did my swipe to close the app, forgetting that I was on my Android tablet and not my Windows tablet. On Android, I had to do multiple steps just to close the app. But with the Windows version of the app, one quick swipe and it's closed. I now think the Android way of closing an app is kind of arcane and old-fashioned.

there are skills I used to have from my Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 days that are far harder and more complex than anything you can do in Windows 8 but they're obsolete at this point. I remember all the cool CLI stuff and toggles I'd do just to make an MP3 with my LAME encoder and other tools. Nowadays, programs like iTunes and Zune do everything better and faster.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I and those who have some issues with the way the UI has been implemented is bashing Windows 8 and wishing it would fail. No one here is saying things should stay the same, that Windows 8 is bad, telling people not to upgrade, or trying and stop progress. You are utterly, utterly, imagining things if that's what you read from people's posts. Point out one instance of that.

No one who attacks my comments has ever discussed my points about the potential of the active tiles being used in a much more functional fashion, in a desktop environment. I've given countless examples, yet they all seem to fly over the heads of those who refuse to admit that things could be done differently in that respect as well and keep banging on about haters. You wonder why people keep repeating these things? Well, it's because you and others keep repeating your view of the world and never acknowledging that there are valid points being raised by others who have differing needs. And remember, all of the comments relate to the desktop PCs, mobile phones, tablets, TVs and similar devices.

show me where I wrote that you were bashing Windows 8 and wishing it to fail. I quoted my text. show me. in fact, I don't even remember you. what I wrote was that it was unnecessary and bordering on preachy for people to go into multiple threads and regurgitate arguments that they made. in fact, I knew which people would be joining this thread to regurgitate the same things. someone makes a new thread about how much they hate the new start screen. i can already imagine the usual suspects who will join that thread and also say how much they hate it.

I have never criticized anyone for tailoring their Windows 8 experience to suit their needs. show me where I said that. the closest I ever came to that was when people were talking about how to permanently disable windows 8 features through things like registry changes, and I answered why permanently gimp things? just don't use the features you don't like and tailor the experience to your needs. when you start mucking with things that you aren't sure of the systemic effects, it could lead to problems down the line that you never imagined were related. there are plenty of ways to tailor your experience without modifying system files.

show me where I ever wrote how much I love Windows 8 and that people should go buy it. you won't find a single post. I will say things I like. But you never see me going to every single hate thread and regurgitating things. In fact, if you follow my comments, it's usually a reply to a rant where they say something that's deceiving or they're complaining about something being missing that's actually there or something to that effect. I'm rarely proactive with my posts except when it's something I found out that might be helpful for people through my experiences like how to select multiple emails via swiping with the touch interface. it took me forever to figure that out.

and yet, I can see almost rote answers from the same people in multiple threads why they didn't like Windows 8. I won't call them out because that's just petty. but apparently, you felt strongly enough that I was referring to you (trust me, you'd be way down the list of the people I would first think of complaining about Windows 8).

but what do you people think will happen by standing on a soapbox? that someone of importance will hear you and make changes that you want? trust me, they already have heard everything that that's possible to hear and will take their own time to implement it at their own pace no matter how much it bothers you.

I know plenty that say that Windows Blue (or whatever the next Windows will be called) will revert back to being closer to Windows 7 and that their complaining will be heard. that the start menu will be coming back. But seriously, Microsoft sees the writing on the wall and it's not going back.

In fact, Microsoft has a limited window because you can as sure bet that Apple is moving in this direction and if they move faster than Microsoft hopes, it's fully game over for Microsoft because the community and following that Apple has built is extremely loyal. They grew up on iPods, moved on to iPads, and then starting buying Apple computers. Apple has slowly been adding gestures and iOS features to OSX. They just never figured Microsoft would be able to follow. Same thing for Google. Google has slowly aligning their ecosystem as well. And like anything, Windows 8 has warts. But it has a lot of good to it too. And the vision is very clear and it's a vision that's interesting and potentially exciting. It's an exciting time to be a hardware and software enthusiast. I love my iPad 2. I like my Android Tablet (though ICS has some problems that need to be fixed). And I love my Windows. Competition is a great thing and it's good for Microsoft to get into the game.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I haven't checked the figures - but you may find there are more push bikes in the world than cars.

What does that mean for the car manufacturers - perhaps they should start making bikes.

Perhaps they should all make something that has the advantages of a bike - low cost - cheap to run - not too much damage to the environment - easy to nip in and out of town - easy to park.

If they are very smart , they could also include the attributes of a car - protection from the elements, trunk to carry stuff, privacy to chat or listen to the radio while traveling, etc.

Something like:

Reliant_Robin_Mr_Beans_Pickup_austin_Pick_up_big_6887_media.jpg

That's going to take the world by storm. Personal transport reimagined. You can have it all. No compromises.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I wonder how many of us naysayers also know which members will jump into these same repetitive threads and try to make the bandwagon seem populated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I know plenty that say that Windows Blue (or whatever the next Windows will be called) will revert back to being closer to Windows 7 and that their complaining will be heard. that the start menu will be coming back. But seriously, Microsoft sees the writing on the wall and it's not going back.

In fact, Microsoft has a limited window because you can as sure bet that Apple is moving in this direction and if they move faster than Microsoft hopes, it's fully game over for Microsoft because the community and following that Apple has built is extremely loyal. They grew up on iPods, moved on to iPads, and then starting buying Apple computers. Apple has slowly been adding gestures and iOS features to OSX. They just never figured Microsoft would be able to follow. Same thing for Google. Google has slowly aligning their ecosystem as well. And like anything, Windows 8 has warts. But it has a lot of good to it too. And the vision is very clear and it's a vision that's interesting and potentially exciting. It's an exciting time to be a hardware and software enthusiast. I love my iPad 2. I like my Android Tablet (though ICS has some problems that need to be fixed). And I love my Windows. Competition is a great thing and it's good for Microsoft to get into the game.

So what you are saying here is that Microsoft is too arrogant to listen to its customers. A company that does not listen to its customers will soon not be in business so there future plans are mute.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
[
show me where I wrote that you were bashing Windows 8 and wishing it to fail. I quoted my text. show me. in fact, I don't even remember you.

You quoted me in your post (http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/17582-windows-8-bashing-10.html#post174239) and then went on a long diatribe, from the very beginning stating 'But you don't need to try to teach people that Windows 8 is bad because you want to hold on to what you have...things move on. it's not your job to try to stop things.'

Language and cultural differences aside, I don't know how else to read what you wrote. If weren't referring to me, then you need to be a tad more careful when quoting and writing a subsequent dissertation that appears to be clearly aimed at someone else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
So what you are saying here is that Microsoft is too arrogant to listen to its customers. A company that does not listen to its customers will soon not be in business so there future plans are mute.

no, what I am saying is that you can't please everybody. you can only please as many people as you can.

there's a demand for more LP/records. and some companies are trying to address that need and it's noble. but most people have moved on to digital media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Back