Windows 8 bashing!

I think what people around these boards are not seeing is that an operating system must be intuitive, and part of being intuitive unfortunately means including links to what was familiar in the past. I like to feel in control on my machine and I imagine many others do too. I like having more than 2 ways of doing any one thing on my machine, preferably more, so that depending on circumstances I can easily get where I need to go without doing too much thinking.. This is why I think Win 8 is better with Start Menu included. I may only use it 2x a day, but it is there if I need it and circumstances merit it's use.. The OS feels more complete with it. Without it, the OS just feels like a tool that I used half my life that suddenly is missing a core component..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I think what people around these boards are not seeing is that an operating system must be intuitive, and part of being intuitive unfortunately means including links to what was familiar in the past. I like to feel in control on my machine and I imagine many others do too. I like having more than 2 ways of doing any one thing on my machine, preferably more, so that depending on circumstances I can easily get where I need to go without doing too much thinking.. This is why I think Win 8 is better with Start Menu included. I may only use it 2x a day, but it is there if I need it and circumstances merit it's use.. The OS feels more complete with it. Without it, the OS just feels like a tool that I used half my life that suddenly is missing a core component..

The whole time I used computers I rarely used the Start Menu, when you've got a lot of programmes its a pain in the back side. Windows 8 is easier everything's in front of you or you move your mouse to the bottom right corner or use the Windows key.

If you want a menu use your right mouse button for all apps or type on the start screen what you're looking for.

In Windows 8 the right mouse button is your best friend just like it was when I used the Commodore Amiga, and even the last few years of Windows.

Oh and don't forget in Windows 8 you don't have to close Apps down, its like Android in that way, and just run your mouse up the left hand side to see the ones that are open and click on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I can understand some of the criticisms, but man this is getting really, really boring. Even when a new person comes on here with genuine questions about Windows 8 he's immediately set upon by the usual anti Windows 8 culprits and told how to get back to Windows 7.
I don't recall all that many posts where somebody joined this forum, asked a question and immediately was told, "just give up and go back to Windows 7. However, when somebody comes here and says, "guys, I've struggled for a while and I don't like X, Y, and Z...how do I change it"....and they get affirmation from others that perhaps they cannot change X, Y, and Z, it might lead them to conclusion that perhaps Windows 8 is not for them.

When people come to this forum they must get the impression that Windows 8 is the most useless piece of garbage on the planet when the opposite is correct.
In many respects, people come to forums like this when they are having problems and trying to figure out how to do something. Perhaps if Windows 8 were a little more intuitive and was a little less all or nothing, perhaps not so many people would be scrambling for help. If people here don't like Windows 8 and they have expressed their dislike in a civilized manner, so be it. It's better than a censored forum that makes everything look rosy and pretends like issues don't exist.

You see what annoys me is that I build computers and you people are destroying both Microsoft(trying to destroy)and indirectly the OEM's that I buy my parts from. You're virtually handing the computer world over to Apple.
I'm sorry to hear that you business is suffering, but this isn't the result of anybody on this forum complaining about this OS. It's about the OS, plain and simple. If the world universally loved it and a few people dissented, it would be selling like crazy. On the other hand, if people are not very impressed and are expressing their dislike, it's the fault of the OS and the software itself....it's not the fault of the people expressing their disinterest.

Microsoft flat out owned the desktop PC market. It was theirs to lose. They started to lose it when people had BSOD's, followed by viruses, malware, etc. Apple came to the market with something new, interesting and gave the perception that it was free from viruses and problems. People bought it, literally and most of them have been very happy with their decisions. Apple seems to have a good handle on what some people want.

However, I think the overwhelming # of us users unhappy with Windows 8 aren't running around touting the benefits of Apple. I for one don't own a Mac desktop, laptop or tablet. I don't have an iPhone, i don't have an Apple TV...I don't have an iPod.

This is why I say, this release could have been completely different had Microsoft done one small thing different. We all know what it is. So many will argue how the new is better, if you only just give it a try for a while. I did, and I disagree. I welcome metro, but not at the expense of other functionality. Everyone could have been happy, and those commercials Microsoft likes to run on TV about making Win 8 "yours" which gives this great illusion of choice within the operating environment, could have actually been true...
I agree completely.

Yeah we know, everyone would have been happy if MS had just kept XP.
Nope, I felt that Windows 7 was always leaps and bounds better than Windows XP. I've always said that I'm perfectly happy sticking with Windows 7 at this point. It works good, it's paid for and it doesn't cause me any issues that Windows 8 resolves.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
The whole time I used computers I rarely used the Start Menu, when you've got a lot of programmes its a pain in the back side.
I rarely navigated through the menu, but I liked the organization. What I did was click on Start, clicked in search and started typing what I wanted. The same can be done in 8, but at the expense of being whisked away completely from the desktop and thrown into the Start screen UI...which just isn't the way I want it. I never once said, "boy, if they could just get rid of this menu and give me a full screen start menu instead, things would be so much better".

Oh and don't forget in Windows 8 you don't have to close Apps down, its like Android in that way, and just run your mouse up the left hand side to see the ones that are open and click on it.
But leaving apps running isn't always the best from a resource perspective and some of us may really want a program closed if we truly are done with it. If I could close an app when I finished with it under Android, I would do it. And it's quite unintuitive in Windows 8 the first time running a full screen metro app how you get out of it. An optional close in the upper right would have worked out just fine. Let people close if they want, or just flip to another app if they don't want. But of course, we all know that it isn't set up this way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I suppose I should have said I used to build and repair computers for a living, I'm now retired but still build computers for myself and sometimes for members of the family.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only retired person on here, judging by the amount of comments people make, and if that's the case, for a lot of these people Windows 8 should be good enough for what they do.

I don't run as many Programmes as I used to, but I cant find any that don't run, and everything runs better and faster.

You see maybe why you people are so upset is that you DONT RUN Apple stuff, I do, and there's nothing magical about any of it, maybe you think that MS should be more like Apple or something, I hope not, they are the worlds worst software engineers. Go and have a look at their Apple Store and see the comments about their own Apps, people hate them.

I think the reason I can see the possibilities of Windows 8 is because I have a foot in each camp, and I don't like it, even though each has its own strengths. I run Android, Apple and Windows, but I'd much rather have a unified system. I want to see that system succeed or at least give them the opportunity to show us what they've got.

At least Columbus got the opportunity to show us the world is round, maybe Microsoft can join a fridge and a toaster, much to Tim Cooks chagrin.

My Computer

System One

• OS
" If I could close an app when I finished with it under Android, I would do it. And it's quite unintuitive in Windows 8 the first time running a full screen metro app how you get out of it. An optional close in the upper right would have worked out just fine. Let people close if they want, or just flip to another app if they don't want. But of course, we all know that it isn't set up this way."

Its obvious you don't use an iPad, because its just as unintuitive to close down programmes, there are a lot of things on the iPad that are really not intuitive at all and I daresay that 90% of people that own them wouldn't have the faintest idea of what's going on with their little toy.

I see Paul Thurrot rubbishes the Surface Tablet a lot for being slow among other things, I don't know where he gets that from, I've played around with one a few times and think its quite smooth and certainly well made. If I didn't have an iPad I would go out and buy one today. I'll be sick of the iPad by the next one so I'll probably buy that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Aha - the thread title sounds like a cue for me.

LOL - you are a funny guy/gal.

I made a little something yesterday and today - see if you can guess what it is.

There are some unmistakable clues ( PP is not allowed to answer - he will know immediately ).

wip.jpg

It is obvious I haven't been anywhere near win 8 and haven't the slightest idea what I am talking about.

What I don't understand is why, if you hate Windows 8 that much, do you find it needed to be on a Windows 8 forum if all you are going to do is trash the OS and trash peoples threads that like the OS.

A prime example of this trollish behavior would be SIW2, who I've seen has really nothing good to say about Windows 8 (has probably never even tried it) and has trashed numerous threads with FUD of people who like it. It's quite clear he hates Windows 8 and is pro-Seven, so I'm not sure why he is even here or why he is even part of the EF team.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
there are tons of things not intuitive. it's all about what you're used to and the time it takes to get used to it. ask a person who's not familiar with iOS how to rearrange the icons. I swear 99% of them will never figure it out without someone telling them or them googling. Ask a person new at iOS to highlight multiple emails and then move it to a folder. And they'll never figure it out.

A lot of things is learning. Learning on your own or learning from other people or learning from places like the Internet.

Everyone takes for granted things like Ctrl+V or Ctrl+Al+Del. Because they've learned it and it's been ingrained. But take a new person and none of that stuff makes sense.

Of course, the first time you go to close a Windows Store app, you're lost. I had to google it! But now it's second nature. In fact, the other day I was on my Android tablet on the toilet, and I did the swipe to close the app and forgot that I was on my Android tablet and not my Windows tablet.

Now, I think the Android way is slow! For the TuneIn app on Android, you tap on the upper button in the right corner. then you tap on the exit button. then you tap on the ok button to confirm. with the TuneIn app in Windows, it's just one swipe and it's terminated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I'd tested the Consumer Preview for two weeks and I thought it was a bit of a headache without the Start button there.

I left for the relative sanity of Ubuntu and thought no more of Windows 8 until it was nearing the time that the price of the O/S would be going up and thought that I should buy it.

It's been two days now and I'm really getting into using it, the Start button...what Start button? It's not needed anymore. A change in the user interface will hopefully begin to pay off for Microsoft

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hewlett-Packard
    CPU
    Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN 2A8C 1.0
    Memory
    4GB DDR3 PC3-8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD (up to 1.26 GB) VGA
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" LCD LE32C450E1W
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500GB Internal
    PSU
    450w
    Case
    Generic HP Casing
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M210
    Internet Speed
    Virgin Media 120MBp/s
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Free 2014

I made a little something yesterday and today - see if you can guess what it is.

There are some unmistakable clues ( PP is not allowed to answer - he will know immediately ).

View attachment 14546

It is obvious I haven't been anywhere near win 8 and haven't the slightest idea what I am talking about.

What I don't understand is why, if you hate Windows 8 that much, do you find it needed to be on a Windows 8 forum if all you are going to do is trash the OS and trash peoples threads that like the OS.

A prime example of this trollish behavior would be SIW2, who I've seen has really nothing good to say about Windows 8 (has probably never even tried it) and has trashed numerous threads with FUD of people who like it. It's quite clear he hates Windows 8 and is pro-Seven, so I'm not sure why he is even here or why he is even part of the EF team.

An E8400, same as my best machine, I just can't see any sane reason to upgrade, but I do have 4GB ram. I think that's why I love Windows 8 so much, it's turned the E8400 into a beast. I can easily afford to upgrade, it's just that I've never found anything to push the machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'd tested the Consumer Preview for two weeks and I thought it was a bit of a headache without the Start button there.

I left for the relative sanity of Ubuntu and thought no more of Windows 8 until it was nearing the time that the price of the O/S would be going up and thought that I should buy it.

It's been two days now and I'm really getting into using it, the Start button...what Start button? It's not needed anymore. A change in the user interface will hopefully begin to pay off for Microsoft

Yep, no need for a start button or menu, just right click on the start screen, all apps, and it's all there, even better just start typing on the start screen. Now all we need is for the Media to stop hating Microsoft and this thing will take off like a rocket.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yes, it's still a good processor.

Notice anything about the o/s ?

View attachment 14546

An E8400, same as my best machine, I just can't see any sane reason to upgrade, but I do have 4GB ram. I think that's why I love Windows 8 so much, it's turned the E8400 into a beast. I can easily afford to upgrade, it's just that I've never found anything to push the machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I know this probably a trick question but I'll just go with Windows 8 Pro and look stupid.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Great - someone is at least having a guess.

The answer is right there in the screenie. minint.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It appears to me that too many people are approaching Windows 8 with preconceived ideas and listening to the negativity of others.

You have two ways of working with it, via the Start (Metro) interface or the Classic Shell, so what's the problem. If you have issues you cannot resolve yourself, the Windows 8 forum is a treasure trove of hints and answers. This site has excellent moderators, tutorials and members that can help you resolve your issues and questions.
In my quote, I eliminated the things that I didn't think are your main points.

With respect to the remainder of your first paragraph, why not do a poll to gain some evidence on what you claim?

On your second paragraph, there are more than two ways of working with 8. There are at least 4 ways. Without getting into detail, a. one can primarily on the use 3rd party software of which Classic Shell is just one example; b. one can focus primarily on using the metro interface; c. one can focus on using a fair proportion of both a and b; and d. one can primarily use a sort of do it yourself approach (e.g., using, for example, a shortcuts tool bar in the task bar of the desktop to simulate a start menu. And, there are other possibilities.

And, again, on your second paragraph, I agree that there are some very knowledgeable people on board that can help with a host of problems related to all approaches to 8.

PS I won't debate anything anyone has to say about what I said above.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
Great - someone is at least having a guess.

The answer is right there in the screenie. minint.

Looks a little like Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory