Windows 8 bashing!

If you're that easily distracted, then you should seriously see a doctor and get yourself some Ritalin or something.

This is one of those "bullshit" excuses people keep trying to make. It's completely bogus.

To me, these are the bashing posts. I didn't belittle anybody by saying why I didn't like Windows 8 but yet you call my own personal excuse "bullshit". I'm not trying to tell you guys why you are wrong, but yet that is exactly what you do to me. And for the record, I take a daily medication for OCD.

People are always coming up with these absolutely crazy excuses for why they hate Windows 8.
I'm sorry that you fail to see our excuses as anything other than "absolutely crazy" more or less because they don't coincide with how you feel. That's outside of my ability to control or persuade.

The start page is open for one thing, and that's opening a new program.
So, why are the tiles live?

If you find the live tiles distracting, you can turn them off with a simple right click.
Sure can, but then I have to switch to a UI that contains nothing. So, I fail to see the value in "having" to start an app like this with a blank screen over just choosing to use a menu that doesn't move me off the desktop and then back. It's my personal preference, not a right or a wrong.

Let's say it like it is... You hate Windows 8 because you don't know how to use it, and that makes you feel embarrassed. That's why most techies hate it, because they are no longer the experts their ego has set them up to be... so they hate it.
Again, you are bashing me. I'm quite comfortable in my technical skills, I make a decent living as an IT admin and I'm quite able to use Windows 8. I just choose not to. Didn't say anything about hating Windows 8, I just don't prefer it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I'm not bashing you. I find your "excuse" to be ridiculous though. That is, worthy of ridicule.

You say you have OCD. Do you avoid putting locks on your doors so you don't obsessively lock them? That would be equally ridiculous. But even if you did, that wouldn't be the fault of the door or the lock.

But your real concern comes out in your next statement about the start page containing "nothing". It contains "nothing" no more than the start menu contains "nothing". Obviously that's not true. Why do so many people feel the need to justify their personal preference with these made up excuses? Just say you don't like it. You don't have to have an excuse. It's the making of excuses that causes the argument, because the excuses don't hold up to reasonable inspection.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I know how to use it it just fails usability and accessibility principles on every count. It a really crap purple jumble of pointless tiles. The principal of cascading menus is widely used because it works for all the reasons this doesn't.
There are two people on these forums who are besotted and will defend it to the last, the rest of the world will use a 3rd party start menu replacement or just be rally pissed off every time they have to use the purple jumble.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
I'm not bashing you. I find your "excuse" to be ridiculous though. That is, worthy of ridicule.
No problem, i even said at the start, it's me that's the problem. Perhaps my excuse truly is absurd....but I think the slow uptake and overall negativity towards Windows 8 from many people reassure me that others might also share equally bad reasons for not liking the OS.

You say you have OCD. Do you avoid putting locks on your doors so you don't obsessively lock them? That would be equally ridiculous. But even if you did, that wouldn't be the fault of the door or the lock.
Nope, that's not how my OCD manifests itself. But if i am the type of person who obsessively looks at the temperature in my refrigerator and I know this about myself, I might find a refrigerator that has a digital temperature readout to be less appealing than a model that just has a dial going from cold to coldest. Or if I was forced into having digital temp readouts, I might prefer to have them inside of the fridge behind the closed doors rather than on the outside of the door where I could constantly see them as I walk by.

But your real concern comes out in your next statement about the start page containing "nothing". It contains "nothing" no more than the start menu contains "nothing".
Stated another way: I work in the desktop 99.5% of the time. To get to a program, using the Start Screen, on a single monitor display means that my desktop goes away for however long I find myself on the start screen. By flipping away, it's possible I might see a People update, or News update that catches my eye and I might click on it, launch a full screen Metro app and not notice that for the past few minutes my Microsoft Lync instant messenger has been waiting for a response from me. At work this could cause me and my cowokers to be less efficient as they wait for my response. For this reason, i don't really care for the whole "full screen start menu" approach. Your suggestion, was to shut off the tiles and such to prevent distraction. To me, that seems like a Start Screen that ends up being empty. So, instead why not just continue to use a start button sort of system where I can continue to see everything including my taskbar, clock and apps and type what I want in the search box. It would have been nice to have an option with Windows 8 without a third party. Microsoft provides no such option.

Why do so many people feel the need to justify their personal preference with these made up excuses? Just say you don't like it.
Because if I did that, it would seem to indicate that I might have no experience or knowledge about the system. I choose to not just say, "nope, I don't like it". And instead say, "it's not appealing to me because of #1, #2, and #3". I value the opinions of those who explain their thinking far more than those who just say, "nope, it sucks".

It's the making of excuses that causes the argument, because the excuses don't hold up to reasonable inspection.
Well, you might not agree to the reasonableness of my excuse, but it's the reason Microsoft isn't getting $40 from me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Windows 8 is completely unnecessary and annoying for end users.

Real users talk with their wallets and at less than 2% market share, Microsoft better start listening.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
On the flip side, there is also a condescension towards people who are trying to express constructive criticisms of Windows 8. It's not always a matter or love Windows 8, or hate Windows 8, but sometimes, "I like some things about Windows 8, but why is it like this...?" or "why is it not like that...?".

I agree but a lot of statements pass constructive criticism and go directly to bashing. I admit that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, especially on the internet where tone of voice is absent.

Even though I'm looking forward to upgrading to Windows 8 I do question the removal of the 'Start Menu Orb'. The reason I question this move is because it appears Microsoft is replacing the traditional 'Start Menu' with the 'Metro Start Screen' so why not just leave the 'Start Orb' but have it go to the 'Metro Start Screen'? Especially since the ability to get the the 'Metro Start Screen' is in the same location as the traditional 'Start Orb', it's just hidden and requires hovering over the corner to activate the 'button'.

I feel Microsoft could have lessened the impact of the 'Metro Start Screen' by leaving the traditional 'Start Orb' but just redirecting it. I think this would have helped users bridge the gap between the traditional 'Start menu' and the new 'Metro Start Screen'. Then in Windows 9, once users become familiar with the 'Metro Start Screen', Microsoft could have toyed around with removing the 'Start Orb' from the taskbar. I just think this would have been a more politically correct move.

I suppose the removal of the Start Orb was a gap that was made to try and tell people that the traditional way of computing on Windows Operating Systems is out the door, and replaced with the Metro User Interface. I do tend to agree with people who dislike the removal of if as such, but the smarter computing side to it makes sense. I'm surprised they kept the desktop at all, and I'm glad they did.

Let's not exaggerate here. There was no way they could have removed the desktop this soon. Metro is still in it's baby diapers.
I'm no APP user but just seem to begin to like some of the apps. But I keep seeing some anomalous behavior here and there and in the end that's why I dislike the whole thing. But with time, software will become more stable I'm sure.

The removal of the start orb was made to make people forget about the start menu and traditional way it was used since the beginning of Windows. But I like the start screen and even better: with the missing orb I can add any orb I like in the place!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Windows 8 is completely unnecessary and annoying for end users.

Real users talk with their wallets and at less than 2% market share, Microsoft better start listening.

Do you represent the entire consumer base of Microsoft?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
I for one Love the new Windows 8 Pro with Media Center and I also use quit a few of the apps keep up the good work MS and every one has an opinion since the time of XP etc so keep up the good work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Home Built Antec P-180B Case
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5QPro Turbo
    Memory
    Kingston PC6300 4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD5670
I for one Love the new Windows 8 Pro with Media Center and I also use quit a few of the apps keep up the good work MS and every one has an opinion since the time of XP etc so keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I know how to use it it just fails usability and accessibility principles on every count. It a really crap purple jumble of pointless tiles. The principal of cascading menus is widely used because it works for all the reasons this doesn't.

I agree with your opinion based upon traditional usability principles but I disagree with your statement based upon usability principles that are being built off the advent of mobile technology.

My first experience with Apple's iPad was a bit haphazard. I was so used to having a 'desktop' with independent and overlapping windows that I didn't quite feel comfortable with full screen applications. Additionally, it felt clumsy having to 'minimize' (for lack of a better term) these full screen apps just to get back to another application. At the time I really wanted the ability to select an unfocused app residing behind a focused app; just like in a traditional Windows environment. As its stands right now I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of using my devices in 'full screen' mode; I don't have nearly as many panic attacks as I did when I first started seriously using Apple's iOS.

In preparation for how I believe future operating systems are going to function I've been using my applications in 'full screen' mode. In some cases this practice feels clumsy but in other cases it feels normal. I've also been limiting how much I use the 'desktop' as a serious work space. For example, instead of saving temporary files to the 'desktop' like I've been doing for 17 years I created a unique directory that I save those files to. Then when I access this directory (via a pinned taskbar link) I do so in full screen mode. As a result, there have been hours (and even days) where I've hardly even seen my traditional 'desktop'. I'm still getting used to this practice but I honestly can say that earning a living as a creative professional can be achieved by using Windows 7 in this manner. I also found that by using Windows 7 in this manner has increased my productivity on my tablet because the usage patterns are similar.

As professionals that use our PCs to get 'real' work done we should be excited about this operating system revolution we're seeing right now. It's definitely a different paradigm but I personally believe it will come into it's own much sooner then later.

However, to be honest with you guys, I didn't always feel this way about Windows 8. I was one of these users that despised the idea of mobile based usability principles seeping into the traditional desktop environment. So, when did my opinion change you ask, well, it changed as soon as I saw how quickly my 5 year old son picked up on the operating system. It was a shock to see my boy using Windows 8 more efficiently then I could at the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
MaloCS you make some good points, I often work full screen on my main monitor with the program that I am using for my primary task but will have multiple windows on my other monitors. I have no objection to full screen but I want the option. I am not supportive at all of imposing touch screen tablet principals onto a desktop environment.

I am unconvinced by touch screen monitors for mainstream desktop systems certainly for working in office applications or writing code, I can see some advantages with a horizontal touch screen for working in PhotoShop, Illustrator or other graphic program with a stylus instead of a graphics tablet, it would be like using Photoshop Touch on the iPad.

Prior to the iPad tablets never really took off because they imposed a desktop methodology on to a touch screen, tablet computing was regarded at best as a niche market at worst a failure, a square peg in a round hole. I can understand why Microsoft felt they needed a proper touch UI when they look at revenues generated by the iPad and the others, their mistake is to assume you can push it into the desktop environment, another square peg.

I've always been an early adopter, I like trying new ways of working, I have liked each evolution of windows each improved on the last, I am not opposed to change but change needs to be for the better. I've experimented with other OSs but always kept using Windows because I found nothing better. Unfortunately I cannot see Windows8 with the Modern UI an improvement. Without the Modern UI it is another fine evolution of the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
It appears to me that too many people are approaching Windows 8 with preconceived ideas and listening to the negativity of others. Before I took the plunge, I did my research and read numerous articles on Windows 8. I prepared my computer and myself and when I upgraded I had no problems installing and using the OS.

You have two ways of working with it, via the Start (Metro) interface or the Classic Shell, so what's the problem. If you have issues you cannot resolve yourself, the Windows 8 forum is a treasure trove of hints and answers. This site has excellent moderators, tutorials and members that can help you resolve your issues and questions.

Windows 8 is by no means perfect but what else is when it's new. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but I have no regrets on making the move.

In case your wondering, NO, I do not work for Microsoft! :D

Microsoft did not give us Classic shell. If they had, no one would be bixching in these boards. That one small move on their part, would have prevented so much of the backlash...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
The whole scheme is a very steep learning curve, especially if your forte is NOT with a computer! No 'Classic Shell' choice, no easing -in, no 'this is what - what you USED to have - can look like now, or the carrying-over of ALL of one's settings, esp. with toolbar layouts - made by trial and error over many years - and now destroyed with no idea of where to look..., no nice little tutorial windows when one hovers over a 'field'. To be honest, XP is still king. Especially if one strips the fat off. But then again, if I had the money, I would have bought a Mac; if I had the intelligence and the time, I would spend some time with my Ubuntu programs. I only need to find out how to take the bloat out of these programs. Maybe just buying XP for a few quid?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
There should have been the option in GP to disable Metro and apps or to disable the desktop. Giving the choice of one or the other, or both. If I was still looking after the IT in an organisation I would want Metro disabled, who wants their staff playing with apps? I want them on the desktop working!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Finally a Pro Windows 8 thread, I think they should ban the word Vista on this forum. In 12 months I don't know how many threads have started with, Is this another Vista.
I can understand some of the criticisms, but man this is getting really, really boring. Even when a new person comes on here with genuine questions about Windows 8 he's immediately set upon by the usual anti Windows 8 culprits and told how to get back to Windows 7.
I was going to make a couple of comments yesterday, but I know I would have ended up in the chill out room again or worse. I don't know why the administration doesn't have one forum for the haters so that any threads that start off with Vista or Me automatically get put in there.
When people come to this forum they must get the impression that Windows 8 is the most useless piece of garbage on the planet when the opposite is correct.
People come here for advice and new ways of doing things not to be belittled. I myself come here for the latest news and some positive information about Windows 8 but it's like a minefield.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
The whole scheme is a very steep learning curve, especially if your forte is NOT with a computer! No 'Classic Shell' choice, no easing -in, no 'this is what - what you USED to have - can look like now, or the carrying-over of ALL of one's settings, esp. with toolbar layouts - made by trial and error over many years - and now destroyed with no idea of where to look..., no nice little tutorial windows when one hovers over a 'field'. To be honest, XP is still king. Especially if one strips the fat off. But then again, if I had the money, I would have bought a Mac; if I had the intelligence and the time, I would spend some time with my Ubuntu programs. I only need to find out how to take the bloat out of these programs. Maybe just buying XP for a few quid?

I really wish you would have bought a Mac.

My Computer

System One

• OS
People come here for advice and new ways of doing things not to be belittled. I myself come here for the latest news and some positive information about Windows 8 but it's like a minefield.

You seem overlook that this is the General Discussion section:

Windows 8 discussion and general chat

It's not the technical section/s where people ask for specific help/advice and where that advice needs to be on-topic. Discussion in this section does not have to meet with your approval of subject matter or tone of discussion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

You seem overlook that this is the General Discussion section:

Windows 8 discussion and general chat

It's not the technical section/s where people ask for specific help/advice and where that advice needs to be on-topic. Discussion in this section does not have to meet with your approval of subject matter or tone of discussion.

I wish I were allowed to use my usual tone of discussion, I can assure you, you wouldn't like it, but I'll play by the rules and let you people make sarcastic remarks to anyone and everyone who just happens to like Windows 8.

You're like tag team wrestlers, when one jumps out of the ring another one jumps in.

You see what annoys me is that I build computers and you people are destroying both Microsoft(trying to destroy)and indirectly the OEM's that I buy my parts from. You're virtually handing the computer world over to Apple.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll bet Tim Cook comes here everyday and laughs his head off, hope you're having fun.

My Computer

System One

• OS
When people come to this forum they must get the impression that Windows 8 is the most useless piece of garbage on the planet when the opposite is correct.

It is far from useless. I use it every day on my home (non-work) computer and have come to enjoy it (once I broke down and installed classic shell). There are some really great features under the hood besides metro (File history and Storage spaces to name just a few). Metro is not terrible, it is just not an adequate replacement for the start menu, if you are primarily a desktop user with a mouse. If it were an addition, I believe people would have welcomed it with open arms..

This is why I say, this release could have been completely different had Microsoft done one small thing different. We all know what it is. So many will argue how the new is better, if you only just give it a try for a while. I did, and I disagree. I welcome metro, but not at the expense of other functionality. Everyone could have been happy, and those commercials Microsoft likes to run on TV about making Win 8 "yours" which gives this great illusion of choice within the operating environment, could have actually been true...

Instead...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Back