Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

The recently released operating system Windows 8.1 is a thing of the past. Microsoft is attentively monitoring the reviews for this version and the company has already started to create a list of changes that will appear in the new Windows 8.2. We’re intriducing you the most interesting features of the upcoming Windows 8.2 operating system.
Read more at Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

The MetroUI is not horrible, or cumbersome to use. And actually is better in many ways to the old Start Menu.

1.) as stated, you can configure all the apps you use the most and get to them actually faster than from a start menu
2.) The Tile system gives you a lot of power to configure it anyway you want.
3.) The apps menu is more defined and can be sorted in different ways, it actually is easier to find what you are looking for than the old Start Menu
4.) The search feature can also get you to apps faster than the start menu.
Hit Win+S and start typing the name of the app. You can arrow down, hit enter, and there you go.

Yes, it is change, yes it is a learning curve, but it is also better.

Please allow me to disagree with you here.

1) Why is it faster than arrange icons configure all the programs you use the most and get to them actually faster than from a start menu

2) No it does not. If I could made folders to put apps in, to make a clear overview, then it would be different, and then you would be right

3) No, again it is because of the lack of folders. On desktop AND in startmenu you can arrange things in folders (Office, Games, Photos aso), that can not be done in tifkam

4) Yes, here you are right, as long as you know the name of the program you search for, and that we do allmost all the time :)

Hi there
It's quite easy to create Menus (with sub menus) that I think are BETTER than the old fixed menu (W7 and earlier) - simply use CUSTOM TOOLBARS

You don't need any "Startisback" or any third party apps or registry hacks to do this either and the whole system IMO is FAR more useful and flexible.

Thread here on how to do it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35991-creating-usable-pgm-toolbar-sub-menus.html

Enc screenshot

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• menoo.png
    menoo.png
    160 KB · Views: 126
  • menu2.png
    menu2.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 330

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Toolbars is certainly the way to go. I use nested folders. That is less confusing and the lists don't get too long. I always call my tooolbar folder 'All' - because that is a short name which does not take much room on the taskbar.

2013-11-24_0405.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hi there
Don't forget for traditionalists you can also MOVE the toolbar title back to the left next to the new Windows start button and by reducing the size you only show the toolbar title. Simply just click the arrow.

What would be MEGA though if these custom toolbars could be activated via keyboard commands such as WIN+X for the Windows system menu that gets displayed -- anybody got any ideas here on how to link a keyboard command to a toolbar.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
@mdmd

A full version of Windows 8.1 on a tablet is a full version of Windows 8.1 on the desktop, it does not include RT since RT does not run native desktop programs due to the desktop portion of RT being sandboxed and thus Windows 8.1 does not equal nor include RT even on tablets.

Now that you mention Office 365 that's just about the only program that does not need a full version of Windows 8.1 since it's cloud based which means it also runs and is currently supported on other smart devices such as the iPad, iPhone and Android devices.

So back what I said in my first post, tablets with a full version of Windows 8.1 have much more choices on desktop programs to make up for the lackluster selection of Metro UI apps which means Metro UI is still not used or sometimes can't be used (no app for what you want to do on Metro UI) even on touch enabled devices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
So back what I said in my first post, tablets with a full version of Windows 8.1 have much more choices on desktop programs to make up for the lackluster selection of Metro UI apps which means Metro UI is still not used or sometimes can't be used (no app for what you want to do on Metro UI) even on touch enabled devices
In terms of numbers you are right. There are certainly a LOT of programs available that run on the 8.1. However, those are not the programs that you typically run on a tablet - especially a 7 or 8 inch tablet. There I use navigation, maps, GrooveIP, etc. on my Android tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I prefer tiles over the Windows 7 style menus on my Desktop and mouse computer. The Metro UI did seem a bit strange to start with but now I like having all the most-used shortcuts laid out in a tiled panel the way they are in the new UI. It seems a good and quick way to start programs up. Keeping the lesser-used shortcuts out of the way but easily accessible on the 'Apps by category' screen works for me too. I've tried StartIsBack recently but didn't keep it. Just too used to the Windows 8 Start Screen now I think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
@mdmd

a full version of windows 8.1 on a tablet is a full version of windows 8.1 on the desktop, it does not include rt since rt does not run native desktop programs due to the desktop portion of rt being sandboxed and thus windows 8.1 does not equal nor include rt even on tablets.

8kc.jpg

...a full version of windows 8.1 on the desktop, it does not include rt ...

da4.jpg

dc.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Maybe they can fix SkyDrive which was completely ruined with 8.1.

Duplicate files and not syncing are the common complaints I get in networking forum and the list of frustrated SkyDrive users is getting longer and longer. Why on earth did they change it in the first place?

Not to mention the seemingly endless problems with component store corruption and system file integrity which I've had to diagnose and fix countless times.

This Op system isn't so solid as they make it seem and these problems aren't going away unless some big changes are made.

I had also trouble with SkyDrive, until I discovered that the software I used to clean my Registry destroyed the perfect working of SkyDrive, and other things as well.

I went back to my Windows 8 image, removed iolo System Mechanic, and reinstalled Windows 8.1. Now, everything is working fine with SkyDrive.

I have a feeling that most problems are originating from third party software that hasn't been updated for Windows 8.1 yet.

In fact, I even had sleep problems with my PC, but after removing iolo software and installing the latest drivers for my graphic card. Everything is working again on my systems.

Next time, I'm going to wait a full month before I upgrade my Windows, to make sure that the other firms have updates for their software as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hey I'll take a wait and see approach. MS said they were bring back the Start Button in 8.1 and we all got excited just to be disappointed.

What I would like to see that is not on the list is to bring back Aero. I never understood why they thought that one OS would be fine for all devices. I love my desktop and they want me to use it like a tablet or phone.

Greg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware Area 51
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    Motherboard
    Alienware Area 51
    Memory
    16GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    4GB GDDR5 NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Recon3Di
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PB287Q 28"
    Screen Resolution
    3840 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    Samsung PM851 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
    PSU
    875 Watt
    Case
    Triad Black case
    Cooling
    Alienware High-Performance Liquid Cooling
    Keyboard
    Alienware
    Mouse
    Alienware
    Internet Speed
    100/5MB Service
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton Internet Security
    Other Info
    Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System
I agree. I also think those who find the interface better, or at least acceptable, could be greater in number than those who can't accept it. It's only that we aren't so likely to hear from them. They just get on and use the OS and have no reason to write about it anywhere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes, I'm one of those who find it acceptable. I use the Modern interface as a dashboard of sorts. I switch to it and have live tiles set up, such as weather and news. I use the desktop mostly, but the interface is there if I want it. I do have Start8 and I'm lucky in the fact that everything runs smoothly. Yes, I have 8.1 also.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
    Inernet Explorer 11 Chrome
:ditto:100% in agreement about keyboard activation. Since Win+# already opens taskbar items (limited to 9) perhaps they could use Win+alpha combination for toolbars.

I'm one of those traditionalists the likes the toolbar on the left edge.
Hi there
Don't forget for traditionalists you can also MOVE the toolbar title back to the left next to the new Windows start button and by reducing the size you only show the toolbar title. Simply just click the arrow.

What would be MEGA though if these custom toolbars could be activated via keyboard commands such as WIN+X for the Windows system menu that gets displayed -- anybody got any ideas here on how to link a keyboard command to a toolbar.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
The MetroUI is not horrible, or cumbersome to use. And actually is better in many ways to the old Start Menu.

1.) as stated, you can configure all the apps you use the most and get to them actually faster than from a start menu
2.) The Tile system gives you a lot of power to configure it anyway you want.
3.) The apps menu is more defined and can be sorted in different ways, it actually is easier to find what you are looking for than the old Start Menu
4.) The search feature can also get you to apps faster than the start menu.
Hit Win+S and start typing the name of the app. You can arrow down, hit enter, and there you go.

Please allow me to disagree with you here.

1) Why is it faster than arrange icons configure all the programs you use the most and get to them actually faster than from a start menu

2) No it does not. If I could made folders to put apps in, to make a clear overview, then it would be different, and then you would be right

3) No, again it is because of the lack of folders. On desktop AND in startmenu you can arrange things in folders (Office, Games, Photos aso), that can not be done in tifkam

4) Yes, here you are right, as long as you know the name of the program you search for, and that we do allmost all the time :)

Hi there
It's quite easy to create Menus (with sub menus) that I think are BETTER than the old fixed menu (W7 and earlier) - simply use CUSTOM TOOLBARS

You don't need any "Startisback" or any third party apps or registry hacks to do this either and the whole system IMO is FAR more useful and flexible.

Thread here on how to do it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35991-creating-usable-pgm-toolbar-sub-menus.html

Enc screenshot

Cheers
jimbo

Yes Jimbo, but it was NOT toolbars I refered to, it was Metro tiles, and the lack og Folderoption there, NOT toolbars. Folder in toolbars was also possible in windows 7, so that is not anything new ;)

I answered to this: The MetroUI is not horrible,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security
I will agree to a certain extent to have folder nesting in Tile View
But even that can get overly cumbersome.
It's the same issue I have with Libraries. That can turn into a nightmare for data control and organization.
Especially when it is used nilliy willy without thought. You can very easily end up with garbage all over the place.

Having smaller tiles and being able to organize them into groups does work.
Being able to scroll through the groups or click the bottom right edge to zoom out and select a group is very easy
It gives you more control in finding what you are looking for more easily and faster than waiting for cascading menus to pop out as you drill through them.

That doesn't mean there isn't a place for Taskbar Tool Bars. There absolutely is.
and again, using search is even faster if you know what you are looking for.

It's a different way of using the OS, and once learned, it is more efficient.
Just as the Ribbons are in Office and Explorer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
This is going to be an endless chain of arguments like on the Ribbon subject. I think we should just agree that everybody shall use which seems to be easiest for him/her. In my case that is Windows7 and Linux Mint Mate on the desktop and Android on the tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hahahah ,,,,, uhg, Android,,,,, let's get started :party:

Just kidding,, I agree

I do have to add one more thing though,, then I will drop it.,.,.

Old way is not always better.... as in....
What is more efficient,,,
Peeling 40 Apples by Hand, or using a hand crank Apple peeler?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Windows does not even figure in mobile. No need to discuss that loser.

WW tablets

Tablet_OS.png

WW Smartphones

WW_smartphoines.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hahahah ,,,,, uhg, Android,,,,, let's get started :party:

Just kidding,, I agree

I do have to add one more thing though,, then I will drop it.,.,.

Old way is not always better.... as in....
What is more efficient,,,
Peeling 40 Apples by Hand, or using a hand crank Apple peeler?

Hi there

It's not always THAT simple -- don't forget you have to

a) Get out the Apple peeler
b) perform the hand cranking
c) REMOVE the skins etc - or whatever you do with it
d) wash and CLEAN the equipment - sometimes can be a long and tedious process for some pieces of kit
e) put it away again.

Peeling by hand -- I just simply chuck the peel / skin out as Garden Compost - simple - and no cleaning / set up required. For some sorts of Apple Crumble too - you can leave the skins ON -- also delicious if you choose the right sort of Apples -- strangely enough the ENGLISH varieties are brilliant - even though when you go into a supermarket in England the shelves are usually full of FRENCH one's which IMO don't have anything like the same flavour. At least England exports loads of their nice flavoured apples.

I've found in general when it comes to COOKING - the OLD fashioned ways are usually far better resulting in far better tasting food - even if the food does take longer to prepare. Also sometimes doing stuff by HAND in the Kitchen gives a certain therapeutic value to the whole process.

Slow cooking over wood burning stoves for example can really create absolutely delicious food that probably people who visit fast food outlets will never have experienced in their life times -- but this is a Windows Forum so I'll leave further remarks on cooking elsewhere !!!.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I agree. Those 'mechanized' ways can be a real pain. I threw all my kitchen gadgets away and am back to the old ways.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back