Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

The recently released operating system Windows 8.1 is a thing of the past. Microsoft is attentively monitoring the reviews for this version and the company has already started to create a list of changes that will appear in the new Windows 8.2. We’re intriducing you the most interesting features of the upcoming Windows 8.2 operating system.
Read more at Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

I would not get too excited about this article - sounds like rumors to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Even if a rumor, i'd expect an 8.2 at some stage with more changes. Windows 9 will probably have a .1 as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro with media pack
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7 820
    Memory
    8 GBS
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 5830
    Screen Resolution
    1080p 15.6 inch
    Internet Speed
    DSL2
    Browser
    Firefox and Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast and Malwarebytes
Hi there

I suspect there MUST be some truth in the rumour -- Ms presumably has plans for businesses -- it won't want to leave them hanging indefinitely with Windows 7 - and you'd presumably have to have gone TOTALLY APE SH-- to recommend converting to Windows 8 / 8.1 in an enterprise --especially if you are using things like SAP ERP software which rely not only on the correct WINDOWS version to run but changes in IE as well can cause horrendous problems too. Some of these large organisations like SAP have only got their stuff working recently on 64 Bit WINDOWS 7 with IE9 -- changing a lot of this is NOT a trivial task.

It seems though Ms really missed the boat with not providing a decent VM infrastructure -- HYPER-V potentially had some good ideas in it but it's sometimes touch and go to get this to work in large networks and the support structure isn't that great. For consumers an enhanced Virtual PC type of solution should have been offered or a "W7 Mode" but better than the old XP Mode which really was actually quite a disaster compared to "proper" Virtual machine software.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Maybe they can fix SkyDrive which was completely ruined with 8.1.

Duplicate files and not syncing are the common complaints I get in networking forum and the list of frustrated SkyDrive users is getting longer and longer. Why on earth did they change it in the first place?

Not to mention the seemingly endless problems with component store corruption and system file integrity which I've had to diagnose and fix countless times.

This Op system isn't so solid as they make it seem and these problems aren't going away unless some big changes are made.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
I would not get too excited about this article - sounds like rumors to me.

If its on the Internet it has to be true.
^I read that on the internet^

Kidding aside, I haven't seen anything I would even consider close to reliable on this topic.
What's in that article sounds more like somebodies wish list to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
And hooray for our side....(I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound, everybody look what's going down....)...

Shame on you for sticking that song in my head!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
except for the fact that you have to switch over to Start Menu to access the program icon and switch back to the desktop when the program has loaded...complicated? Yes.

This is 100% not true.
You do not have to go to the start menu, find the icon and then click it and wait for the app to load then click back to the desktop.
Once you go to the start menu and find the app you want to open and click it, it will automatically go to the desktop and open the app. Please stop spreading FUD.

As for which is better?

Win7 definitely has it's place. And I don't begrudge anyone from keeping Win7 and using it if that works for them.

I do take issue with FUD spreading BS about how horrible Win8 is to use on a desktop without touch.
Or that it's so complicated to use. No, it's not. It's different, yes, But more complicated, No.

If one is in the market to buy a new PC and it comes with Win8, telling them they shouldn't do it based on personal bias towards change is irresponsible.

Not knowing the advantages, not having actually used the system for a long period of time to actually understand how to use it
Or what the advantages are fully, and telling people to avoid it, is irresponsible.

I will never say Win8 is perfect, it's not. But it is a step up from Win7 in numerous ways.
Not just what you can see, but more of what you can not see underneath it all.

The MetroUI is not horrible, or cumbersome to use. And actually is better in many ways to the old Start Menu.

1.) as stated, you can configure all the apps you use the most and get to them actually faster than from a start menu
2.) The Tile system gives you a lot of power to configure it anyway you want.
3.) The apps menu is more defined and can be sorted in different ways, it actually is easier to find what you are looking for than the old Start Menu
4.) The search feature can also get you to apps faster than the start menu.
Hit Win+S and start typing the name of the app. You can arrow down, hit enter, and there you go.

Yes, it is change, yes it is a learning curve, but it is also better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
The MetroUI is not horrible, or cumbersome to use. And actually is better in many ways to the old Start Menu.

In your opinion. Others have different opinions, nothing more, nothing less...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
telling them they shouldn't do it based on personal bias towards change is irresponsible.

Personal bias towards change? Bit of an assumption there , don't you think?

Why didn't you say:

Telling people they should buy based on personal bias towards Tilewold is irresponsible.

There is a lot more going on than just a kindergarten UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

In your opinion. Others have different opinions, nothing more, nothing less...
I agree. Metro may be nice with a touchpad. But with a mouse it is cumbersome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

1.) as stated, you can configure all the apps you use the most and get to them actually faster than from a start menu
2.) The Tile system gives you a lot of power to configure it anyway you want.
3.) The apps menu is more defined and can be sorted in different ways, it actually is easier to find what you are looking for than the old Start Menu
4.) The search feature can also get you to apps faster than the start menu.
Hit Win+S and start typing the name of the app. You can arrow down, hit enter, and there you go.

Yes, it is change, yes it is a learning curve, but it is also better.

Please allow me to disagree with you here.

1) Why is it faster than arrange icons configure all the programs you use the most and get to them actually faster than from a start menu

2) No it does not. If I could made folders to put apps in, to make a clear overview, then it would be different, and then you would be right

3) No, again it is because of the lack of folders. On desktop AND in startmenu you can arrange things in folders (Office, Games, Photos aso), that can not be done in tifkam

4) Yes, here you are right, as long as you know the name of the program you search for, and that we do allmost all the time :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security
This is what I believe about missing the start button: Let's try to imagine that when MS came out with Windows 95 if it would have had the same interface as Windows 8 has now; and if all the newer editions had the same. Then after all these years, MS came out with what they called Windows 8 and the interface was exactly like Windows 7, everyone would be saying things like, "What happened to the tiles! I miss the tiles and wish they would come back." I believe that it's human nature. When we are used to doing things a certain way for a number of years, it's hard to change.

That's really not it, though--It'd be nice if things were actually as you suggest. But there are some critical differences to ponder:

...besides the fact that nobody with a non-touchscreen device will be interested in 8.1's tile-based user interface (about ~1.4 billion people at Microsoft's last estimate of the total number of traditional desktops & laptops sans touchscreens running all versions of Windows and DOS worldwide.) So...

*Touchscreen user interfaces don't belong on non-touchscreen devices and monitors, period (painfully obvious to everyone except Microsoft, unless the company is actually doing an "8.2" as this writer-person suggests. Better late than never, Microsoft.) This would have been a much bigger disaster in 1995 as mass-market touchscreen devices weren't just grossly outnumbered as they are at present, they didn't yet exist.

*Not only are the tiles grossly incompatible with traditional desktops, laptops, and monitors, but they are ugly, their color schemes jarring and highly incongruent. Would have been even a bigger disaster in 1995 because then they'd have made even less sense than they do now...

*But it's not just the aesthetic qualities that have been changed in the Win8 tile-based ui, because that wouldn't make that much difference. Once you get used to it, even "ugly" can grow on you...;) No, the main problem is that besides being ugly, the information conveyed by the garish tiles is simplified to the point of being incomplete. Far too often in Win 8 the user must leave the RT user interface (tiles) and open up the traditional, Win7-style non-touch user interface in order exercise the degree of control he'd like over his operating system because of the many things you simply cannot do at all through the Win8 tile-based user interface.

*With the exception of the Start Menu, all of the Win7 (explorer.exe-based) user interface remains fully intact within Win8.1. It's all there, and it has to be, of course, since the tile-based RT user-interface portion of Win8 is so incomplete. If the Win8 tile-based ui was as functional and informative as the traditional explorer.exe user interface then you'd certainly have a good point. Unfortunately, the two user interfaces are nowhere near "equal" in terms of the amount of control they offer the end user--Win8's tile-based user interface is grossly inferior to its explorer.exe-based user interface. Win8/8.1 has two user interfaces because it has to, to function correctly. It's as simple as that.

Someone else mentioned Classic Shell 4.0.2, and I must concur that it is a must-have for Win8/8.1. It's of very high quality and it is free. It even allows you to turn off *all* the desktop hot corners and charms, if you want (8.1 only grants you very partial control on these things through Taskbar properties--can't turn off charms at all.) Or leave them on, if you want. I really like 8.1--it has completely replaced Win7 for me at home and at work. But, thankfully, I don't have to look at a single tile while reaping the benefits of 8.1! And why should I? I have no touchscreen, and have a zero desire to buy one. Good grief...;) It's sometimes difficult to keep my monitor screens as clean as I'd like--but if I had to contend with greasy fingerprints all over them every day--uh-uh, no way! But also--my 2500 dpi-density mice are incredibly more accurate and precise than my pudgy fingertips will ever be! Johnny Paycheck should sing, "You can take this touchscreen and shove it..!" I think he'd have a hit on his hands, no doubt about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
We are doomed to mediocre Windows.

doomed.

Screenshot (11).jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
...besides the fact that nobody with a non-touchscreen device will be interested in 8.1's tile-based user interface

Nobody? Where did you get that from? Can I vote?

...Touchscreen user interfaces don't belong on non-touchscreen devices and monitors, period

Is this true? Well, geewiz, Is there a prime directive on this?

...Not only are the tiles grossly incompatible ...

Wow! Tiles are grossly incompatible! Maybe the tiles are causing viruses and BSODs.
You don't have to use tifkam. You never did, since day one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
The arguments on this thread will not end, even on touch screen tablets Windows 8.1 Metro UI apps pale is comparison to Android apps and is basically a laughing stock when compared to iOS's apps.

The only saving grace for recent Windows 8.1 tablets in the fact Bay Trail is a very competent processor and the fact most of the bigger and smarter tablet manufactures have dropped Windows RT altogether and switched to a full version of Windows 8.1.

Which brings me back to my fist statement, even on touch enabled devices people are only going to get Windows 8.1 for the desktop portion of the operating system and not Microsuck's crappy Metro UI and it's pathetic apps selection.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
Thanks for the views :) not arguing...

... even on touch screen tablets Windows 8.1 Metro UI apps pale in comparison to Android apps and is basically a laughing stock when compared to iOS's apps.

I know nothing about Android or iOS. My telephone is for talking.

The only saving grace for recent Windows 8.1 tablets is the fact Bay Trail is a very competent processor and the fact most of the bigger and smarter tablet manufactures have dropped Windows RT altogether and switched to a full version of Windows 8.1.

A full version of Windows 8.1 will always include WinRT.

Which brings me back to my first statement, even on touch enabled devices people are only going to get Windows 8.1 for the desktop portion of the operating system ...

I doubt that since office 365 is touch oriented.
I doubt that someone would buy a tablet only to install a desktop start menu and use it as a PC.
Or maybe someone would but, count me out, a tablet is not a device that I would want.

I see you are using Windows 7. :thumb:

Changes are coming. Updates are coming such as they are.
A Microsoft desktop start menu, as an addon for 8.2, :dinesh:
I've been using one for 18 years. Enough already. I prefer tifkam.
I expect all the changes coming will be in the form of updates.
To start another wave of ISO and key controversies would certainly add more threads.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7, 8.1, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP tx2z
    CPU
    AMD Turion x2 Ultra 2.4
    Motherboard
    Quanta
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 3200
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 256gb ssd
The arguments on this thread will not end, even on touch screen tablets Windows 8.1 Metro UI apps pale is comparison to Android apps and is basically a laughing stock when compared to iOS's apps.

The only saving grace for recent Windows 8.1 tablets in the fact Bay Trail is a very competent processor and the fact most of the bigger and smarter tablet manufactures have dropped Windows RT altogether and switched to a full version of Windows 8.1.

Which brings me back to my fist statement, even on touch enabled devices people are only going to get Windows 8.1 for the desktop portion of the operating system and not Microsuck's crappy Metro UI and it's pathetic apps selection.
The apps, or the lack thereof, is really a serious problem. I was considering the new Dell Venus 8 Pro which looks like a nice 8" tablet. But then I was looking at all the apps I have on my Nexus 7 and found none of them in the Windows 8.1 world - except for Office. But maybe it will get better over time. The " crappy Metro UI " would not really bother me on a tablet but on my desktop PC it does bother me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back