Windows 8.1 Aug Update Released (KB2975719)

KB2984006 is listed as optional for me also. I installed it and no issues that I know of. I just checked on my desktop and after doing all the rest yesterday and KB2989647 is listed but not checked. It wasn't checked yesterday so that's why its not checked now I guess. I'm going to apply it anyway.

I'm so glad you brought up ....4006. Mine said optional as well. I also went to that lengthy MS article and it stated "MS recommends to apply update". That article also said to install 2919355 update April 2014 first. I checked my installed updates and have the 3/18/2014 version of 2919355. I couldn't find the April update. What do I do.......did you install 2919355 April first and where did you find it? I'm a PIA, aren't I LOL.

Oh, and something else, I had a nice message on my log-in screen today re security updates that had automatically been installed by Windows today and to restart computer. Strange, I don't have automatically installed feature activated I haven't restarted the laptop as yet. Did you get more updates today? The KB #s are: 2976978, 2972213, 2988948, 2894852, 2973114, 2987114, 2977629, 2894856. Again, thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 17-e040us
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless w/USB Connect Mouse
How long can this mismanagement of Windows Updates to on?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p6230f
    CPU
    HP AMD Phenom II X4 810
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN ALOE
    Memory
    8 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 42
    Sound Card
    ATI/AMD SB600 - High
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SE198WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Would not install on my Lenovo Flex 2-15M Laptop. Tried 2 or more times then ran procedure removing two updates selected. History showed
KB2962407 Cancelled
KB2965719 Failed

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 & 7.x
    Computer type
    Tablet
    ASUS T100
    CPU
    intel
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    2G
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    zonealarm
Re KB989647 is listed as an update but isn't checked to download on my laptop. I did take a look at what it was about and have no idea what's it's all about. Since it wasn't checked to download, I need not worry about it, correct? Also, is there anything special I need to do before downloading all the updates?

Some updates need to be done by them selves, that may be why its unchecked. [DEL]It's unchecked for me too on my laptop.[/DEL] It wasn't that update that was unchecked for me. I'm just doing the updates now, 22 in total. After a reboot i'll run Windows update again and see if its till listed, if it is I'll install it then. I can't remember if I installed that update on my desktop PC, there was 1 update unchecked. I'll have a look later on when I'm back on my desktop PC.

Thank you alpha. I was so stressed out yesterday re these updates I was nearly in tears....I'm allowed....I'm a Senior Citizen.:) My husband didn't bug me the rest of the day.
Thanks for the info. I'll do as you suggested and if it's still listed after rebooting I'll installed it. One more thing, I reviewed that lengthy article about these updates, and it contained prerequisite to download before doing the updates, did you do that or it's not necessary. Thanks so much.

A lot of updates require previous updates or prerequisites. If they are not already there the update will not install. That can be one reason why some updates are unchecked. Another update in the list has to be installed first. I didn't do anything other than run Windows update and click install. I just ran it twice to apply all the updates is all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Some updates need to be done by them selves, that may be why its unchecked. [DEL]It's unchecked for me too on my laptop.[/DEL] It wasn't that update that was unchecked for me. I'm just doing the updates now, 22 in total. After a reboot i'll run Windows update again and see if its till listed, if it is I'll install it then. I can't remember if I installed that update on my desktop PC, there was 1 update unchecked. I'll have a look later on when I'm back on my desktop PC.

Thank you alpha. I was so stressed out yesterday re these updates I was nearly in tears....I'm allowed....I'm a Senior Citizen.:) My husband didn't bug me the rest of the day.
Thanks for the info. I'll do as you suggested and if it's still listed after rebooting I'll installed it. One more thing, I reviewed that lengthy article about these updates, and it contained prerequisite to download before doing the updates, did you do that or it's not necessary. Thanks so much.

A lot of updates require previous updates or prerequisites. If they are not already there the update will not install. That can be one reason why some updates are unchecked. Another update in the list has to be installed first. I didn't do anything other than run Windows update and click install. I just ran it twice to apply all the updates is all.

SUCCESS!!!! KB2975719, KB2989647 and KB2984005 installed with no problems. I'm not sure which one, but I think it was 2975719 that gave me a message re some problems, all I did was hit "retry" and it installed successfully. Also, the list of updates that were posted on my log-in screen (first time for that to happen) installed successfully.

Thank you so much for your help. For future updates, I just have to remember to just install and if any problems, just hit "retry" LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 17-e040us
    Mouse

SUCCESS!!!! KB2975719, KB2989647 and KB2984005 installed with no problems. I'm not sure which one, but I think it was 2975719 that gave me a message re some problems, all I did was hit "retry" and it installed successfully. Also, the list of updates that were posted on my log-in screen (first time for that to happen) installed successfully.

Thank you so much for your help. For future updates, I just have to remember to just install and if any problems, just hit "retry" LOL.

Darn, I forgot to hit problem solved and thank you icons for your last post before I posted this reply and now I can't do it. I'm sorry.....you definitely deserve them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 17-e040us
    Mouse
You can't add to reputation in the News section, so that wasn't because of anything you did or didn't do. You also can't mark a thread as solved unless your the thread starter. Thanks anyway though. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Just stumbled across this thread after having similar problems to a number of other users. I've tried installing KB2975719 both online (fails with the 80070002 error) and also by downloading the offline installer - this runs, but at the end it says the update was not installed. I'm on 8.1 Pro 64-bit. Never had any issues with updates until this one. Can anyone suggest what to try? Cheers, Mike.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo Thinkcentre A57/M58
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Thanks for the reply - I'm currently only running Windows Defender.

I know it's usually not a good idea to try an official Microsoft solution to a Windows error, but I went ahead with this one: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

I removed the files from the Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore (& Download) directories and restarted the Windows Update service, then ran the KB2975719 standalone installer again and it worked.

The only real issue that causes is that the list of installed updates is blown away (from within Windows Update) but is still visible elsewhere.

I'm not 100% happy, but at least the update went through.

Cheers,

Mike.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo Thinkcentre A57/M58
I just came back to my laptop and noticed that it was offering me KB2919355, 2.6MB, listed as "Windows 8.1 Update" with the description for Windows 8.1 Update 1 ("you must install so you can continue to receive updates"), and KB2975719, 169.6MB, listed as "Update for Windows 8.1", "install to resolve issues". Both KB2975719 and KB2919355 are already installed (listed under "View update history"). Luckily after the previous update fiasco from Microsoft I'd disabled automatic install so I got to opt out, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. It looks like the whole disaster is about to hit us a second time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (ugh)
Hi there. Reading through the thread, some are claiming that some updates are listed twice. I would advise to go ahead and install updates.

MS is not a perfect company that has perfect employees that write perfect code. Sometimes they falter as we all do. We can all bet this will happen again as it has in the past, but with each others help we get through it. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Uhh, these are two of the most lethal updates Microsoft has issued in recent years in terms of bricking machines, and after surviving the first time round I'm supposed to let them have another go? The fact that they're already installed but Windows wants to install them again doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the level of quality control that went into these things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (ugh)
Was there something that happened to your system the first time around? If not, what's the concern? If Windows Update reports they need to be installed, then they need to be installed.

These updates did not afflict my system or others whereas others were. MS cannot possibly test their update code on millions of computers with millions of different configurations with millions of different peripherals. It's simply a hit or miss. Seems to me users on this thread got through it all. Also, perhaps I missed it, but I haven't read in this thread that the updates "bricked" their system. Messed them up, but not bricked. That's not to say that's not possible.

If not a custom rig, did you check out your OEM sight for information?

If you think it will afflict or brick your system, then don't install them, but face the consequence(s) if you don't. One would be that all or some future updates won't install since they're sequential.

Of course you have every right to wait until someone else that might answer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Wasn't that the update that was pulled and released redone afterwards ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Pulled, then re-released, then pulled again, then re-released again, at which point I installed it after waiting a few weeks to make sure there were no more reports of problems. Now it's asking to install it again even though it's listed as already installed, presumably it's a re-re-re-release of the original. Given its history, would you trust this thing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (ugh)
Pulled, then re-released, then pulled again, then re-released again, at which point I installed it after waiting a few weeks to make sure there were no more reports of problems. Now it's asking to install it again even though it's listed as already installed, presumably it's a re-re-re-release of the original. Given its history, would you trust this thing?
Trusted it first time, than when it was pulled back and re released I uninstalled old one and installed newer one, since than it didn't show up again. (at least not yet)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I've just tried reinstalling (meaning letting Windows Update install) the re-re-whatever-released KB2975719, and got the expected result "We couldn't complete the updates". I don't know why Microsoft even bother with releasing updates, they could just replace them with a script that displays an update-failed message and save everyone a lot of time and bandwidth.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (ugh)
Back