Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

Update:

I noticed that when I initially installed the Leshcat Driver set; the AMD driver encountered a problem during the install process. Windows did not recognize it as being digitally signed properly. [That was most like due to the fact that I removed the Test Mode watermark immediately upon restart, which was before I restarted the install process to install all the drivers]

I REALLY hate the watermark!

I just re-installed everything once again, but this time I did not immediately remove the watermark before completing the installation. Everything installed without a hitch this time. Windows didn't recognize any signature issue or try to block installation of any the driver components this time.

My device manager is not currently registering any issues with any of my drivers and my system fan is completely idle. I also have the Catalyst Control Center successfully installed, so it looks like everything is working fine at this point.

[Cross your fingers, Dude! I'm about to remove that pesky Test Mode watermark once again]

With any luck... Windows will continue to accept the digital signature outside of Test Mode at this point, since everything is already installed and has been registered as working properly.

Update:

I removed the watermark and restarted my system again, which caused the normal windows system integrity check to recognized the AMD driver as being improperly signed. I really don't understand why it's necessary for me to have to run my computer in Test Mode for this to work correctly.

Ask your buddy how exactly did he remove the Test Mode watermark. Ask him, if he used the registry editing software I've been seeing online, which allows one to take ownership of the shell32.dll.mui. Or.... Did he simply remove it using a command-line script (bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF) as I did?

damn, so what does that mean? is it still workin? or now have problems? I'll post that question and see what comes back.

Update:

The error (code 52) is back on the AMD driver in the Device Manager! I'm going to turn Test Mode back on and see if it goes way again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6t – 6100 CTO series Notebook PC LM328AV#ABA
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-2720QM @ 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD + Radeon(TM) HD 6490M
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox Nightly28.0a1
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Update:

I removed the watermark and restarted my system again, which caused the normal windows system integrity check to recognized the AMD driver as being improperly signed. I really don't understand why it's necessary for me to have to run my computer in Test Mode for this to work correctly.

Ask your buddy how exactly did he remove the Test Mode watermark. Ask him, if he used the registry editing software I've been seeing online, which allows one to take ownership of the shell32.dll.mui. Or.... Did he simply remove it using a command-line script (bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF) as I did?

damn, so what does that mean? is it still workin? or now have problems? I'll post that question and see what comes back.

Update:

The error (code 52) is back on the AMD driver in the Device Manager! I'm going to turn Test Mode back on and see if it goes way again.

Just for the record, here is what this guy on leshcatsaid when I asked about the other stuff than BF

Johnny Nov 11, 2012 1:04 am No black screen
brightness works perfectly
no wake from sleep problems
ccc works as well
switchable works as well
the only problem i have with this laptop is that i can’t play bf3 at all without it freezing, overheating or crashing after a while. other then that everything works normally. only time it overheats is when i am playing games. for example bf3 eats up more resource the most games and overheats faster. world of tanks takes a bit longer to overheat

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Man.... I never wanted to spend this much of my own time on this again. But it seems that as long as you are running in the Test Mode environment everything works fine. I just re-enabled Test Mode and now my Device Manager doesn't show any issues with any of my drivers.

MY system is running as expected and without issue within the Test Mode environment.

I guess I can deal with having to look at that DAMN the Watermark!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

Update:

Just for the record, here is what this guy on leshcatsaid when I asked about the other stuff than BF

ccc works as well
switchable works as well
the only problem i have with this laptop is that i can’t play bf3 at all without it freezing, overheating or crashing after a while. other then that everything works normally. only time it overheats is when i am playing games. for example bf3 eats up more resource the most games and overheats faster. world of tanks takes a bit longer to overheat

What the hell is this? Are you giving me the old Honey/Hammer routine right now? That sure look like a big f@%kin HAMMER to me! You should have showed me that before, Yo!

[Reel'em in with the HONEY, then bash'em over the head with the HAMMER when they least expect it]

However, I'm not having any problems at the moment as long as I remain running in Test Mode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
32 bit driver please :(

What exactly do you need 32 bit drivers for? You haven't provided enough information about your problem.

i need AMD-signed intel drivers for 32 bit, because HP only provide 64 bit drivers.

i have used the old windows 7 drivers. the switchable graphics is works. but screen goes blink when i open metro apps or Office 2013. so i tried to update the intel driver to .2867, the screen doesn't blink anymore, but switchable graphics is not working anymore :(

please help :(
sorry for bad english

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 32 Bit
    HP Pavilion G4-1335TX
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2350
    Memory
    2048 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 7450M
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768

Update:

ccc works as well
switchable works as well

Can you, please, ask, how he addressed the watermark issue without cause the AMD driver to fail the Windows integrity check?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

What exactly do you need 32 bit drivers for? You haven't provided enough information about your problem.

i need AMD-signed intel drivers for 32 bit, because HP only provide 64 bit drivers.

i have used the old windows 7 drivers. the switchable graphics is works. but screen goes blink when i open metro apps or Office 2013. so i tried to update the intel driver to .2867, the screen doesn't blink anymore, but switchable graphics is not working anymore :(

sorry for bad english

What type of HP system do you have? (i.e., Pavilion DV6T, Envy, etc...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Man.... I never wanted to spend this much of my own time on this again. But it seems that as long as you are running in the Test Mode environment everything works fine. I just re-enabled Test Mode and now my Device Manager doesn't show any issues with any of my drivers.

MY system is running as expected and without issue within the Test Mode environment.

LOLOL oh man lol you sound like I do when I'm messing with these damned "machines" lol. I'm waiting for an answer to that other question. I'm holding up my home phone line all day today lol.

Is there a setting in W8 that lets you switch like that

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
I'm asking that water mark question now, but have to wait for some sort of reply Ill be sure to let you know if I find anything out, as I want to know too. Btw that program for water mark removal is WPC watermark editor

I guess that Johnny guy is also using the test mode, he just said the watermark is still there on his.

I'll see what somebody else has to say, sooner or later they weigh in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

sorry for bad english

Pavilion G4-1335TX
GPU: Radeon HD 7450M

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 32 Bit
    HP Pavilion G4-1335TX
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2350
    Memory
    2048 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768

LOLOL oh man lol you sound like I do when I'm messing with these damned "machines" lol. I'm waiting for an answer to that other question. I'm holding up my home phone line all day today lol.

Is there a setting in W8 that lets you switch like that?, and I wonder, if just removing the watermark but staying in test mode would work?

No! You can only switch between Test and Normal Modes either by editing your registry, which involves messing with your system's registration key information or via command prompt as I did

You can try the command line I used. Simply

Open Cammand Prompt (w/ Administrative Privileges)

Type: " bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON " (without quotation marks)

[It should tell you the operation completed successfully]

Type: " exit " (without quotation marks), then hit Enter key

Restart your machine.

[You should then see the Test Mode watermark on your desktop, which indicated you are running in Test Mode.]

Repeat the aforementioned steps, only modify the word " ON " to read as "OFF"

("bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF")

exit command prompt

restart your machine

[The Test Mode watermark will be gone and you will no longer be running in Test Mode]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

sorry for bad english

Have you tried a clean install of your graphics drivers? You can use software, such as Diver Fusion to remove all previous instances of your currently install graphics drivers and start from there with a clean install of your ne drivers.

However, the only solution to the switchable graphics not working issue, right now, is the Leashcat "catalyst_12.xx_beta_unifl" driver sets. The Leshcat solution is in no way considered a fix for the problem as it is still in its Beta testing phase. It is at best a work around for the problem. The Leshcat drivers are not intended to work with every system that has hybrid or switchable graphics.

Visit the Leshcat Project site for more information:

Catalyst 12.8 WHQL UnifL for ATi+Intel Graphics ← leshcatlabs.net

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

sorry for bad english

Have you tried a clean install of your graphics drivers? You can use software, such as Diver Fusion to remove all previous instances of your currently install graphics drivers and start from there with a clean install of your ne drivers.

However, the only solution to the switchable graphics not working issue, right now, is the Leashcat "catalyst_12.xx_beta_unifl" driver sets. The Leshcat solution is in no way considered a fix for the problem as it is still in its Beta testing phase. It is at best a work around for the problem. The Leshcat drivers are not intended to work with every system that has hybrid or switchable graphics.

yup, i've tried to clean install, but i only have the old windows 7 drivers, so the problem still exist.

"UnifL Drivers are designed for Windows 7 x64 / Windows 8 x64 only, however they should work on Windows Server 2008 as well."
:(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 32 Bit
    HP Pavilion G4-1335TX
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2350
    Memory
    2048 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768

sorry for bad english

Pavilion G4-1335TX

It appears that your system only comes with the x64 bit edition of Windows installed pre-installed. HP only offers x64 bit drives for your model PC. Do you have a CTO (Customized To Oder) model PC? If so, you might want to contact HP and ask about support for custom built PCs with x32 bit version operating systems pre-installed.

[h=1]Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion g4-1335tx Notebook PC[/h]

HP USA Consumer Care: 1-800-474-6836

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

sorry for bad english

yup, i've tried to clean install, but i only have the old windows 7 drivers, so the problem still exist.

"UnifL Drivers are designed for Windows 7 x64 / Windows 8 x64 only, however they should work on Windows Server 2008 as well."
:(

lol! Where the hell did you get an X32 bit version of Windows 8?

Why would want an x32 bit version when x64 is available?

How did that happen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
I'm asking that water mark question now, but have to wait for some sort of reply Ill be sure to let you know if I find anything out, as I want to know too. Btw that program for water mark removal is WPC watermark editor

I guess that Johnny guy is also using the test mode, he just said the watermark is still there on his.

Okay! I'm running the Leshcat solution in Test Mode and I can't say that I'm any issues with it right now. However, you already know, I'm really hating having to stare at this damn watermark. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open too for a solution to that particular issue.

I'll check back with you in a couple of days to let you know if more issues arise and if this current Leshcat driver set is an acceptable option to address the ATI/Intel switchable graphics issue that we all seem to be experiencing. Thanks to HP's unwillingness to support their products after the point of sale. I'm just kidding!

HP is okay, I guess?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

Okay! I'm running the Leshcat solution in Test Mode and I can't say that I'm any issues with it right now. However, you already know, I'm really hating having to stare at this damn watermark. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open too for a solution to that particular issue.

I'll check back with you in a couple of days to let you know if more issues arise and if this current Leshcat driver set is an acceptable option to address the ATI/Intel switchable graphics issue that we all seem to be experiencing. Thanks to HP's unwillingness to support their products after the point of sale. I'm just kidding!

HP is okay, I guess?

Yeah OK! I'll keep lookin at all them posts i added to leshcats blog and see what comes up, I'll let ya know if I find out anything good.

btw, I dono if you know about this thing HP is holding but I'll be there to ask my questions
Got Windows 8 Questions? HP Win8 Expert Day

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

Pavilion G4-1335TX

It appears that your system only comes with the x64 bit edition of Windows installed pre-installed. HP only offers x64 bit drives for your model PC. Do you have a CTO (Customized To Oder) model PC? If so, you might want to contact HP and ask about support for custom built PCs with x32 bit version operating systems pre-installed.

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion g4-1335tx Notebook PC

i bought this laptop and there's no OS preinstalled.
i chose 32 bit version because my ram only 2 GB, and i think 64 bit needs more RAM

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 32 Bit
    HP Pavilion G4-1335TX
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2350
    Memory
    2048 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768

HP is okay, I guess?

Yeah OK! I'll keep lookin at all them posts i added to leshcats blog and see what comes up, I'll let ya know if I find out anything good.

btw, I dono if you know about this thing HP is holding but I'll be there to ask my questions
Got Windows 8 Questions? HP Win8 Expert Day

I've actually already been in contact with HP regarding the issue. According to what I was told. This issue only effects PC models that were sold before The official Release of Windows 8 with the old new Intel 2nd Gen chipsets. They never intended for the those PC owners to upgrade to Windows 8 due to the fact that they were built with the minimum graphics requirement (1366 x 768 native res) necessary to run Windows 8.

Only pcs with the 2nd and 3rd Gen Intel chipsets can run Windows 8 so far. They have no plans to release a fix for this issue as of yet. However, I was told I should hold off on upgrading until a fix for the issue is made available. In other words.... Don't call us, well call you if we decide to address that problem. They're busy developing drivers for their newer model PCs that were sold just before the official release of Windows 8. As of now.... Nothing sold before July of 2012 will receive Windows 8 support.

That said, our hope lies with Leshcat finding a resolution to the problem. You system appears to be one of the current HP models. However, I don't understand why they didn't build your system using NVidia graphics, with which is what all the newer model are being built. The new integrated 3 Gen Intel graphics are capable of much higher resolution and the same is true of the new discrete NVidia GPUs. They both far exceed the minimum graphics resolution required to efficiently run windows 8.

If you ask me.... This is HP's and many other PC manufacturers way of sticking it to Microsoft for cutting them out of the profits Microsoft will be receiving from the sale of the new Microsoft Surface tech. It seems Microsoft has taken a queue from Apple and are trying to control it's newest technology from conception to market. This is evidenced by Microsoft practically giving away their newest OS at only $39 a pop. However, all the major PC manufacturers have ensured that only their most recent builds will be able to run it. If you want Windows 8, you have to by a new and very recently built system.

How that for making sure they can maintain their customer base? My next PC will be a MS surface tablet. I'm so sick of HP's ever worsening customer service and support. The new BIG BOY MS Surface Pro combined with Xbox Live will be all I'll need for business and gaming.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0
Pavilion G4-1335TX

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion g4-1335tx Notebook PC

i bought this laptop and there's no OS preinstalled.
i chose 32 bit version because my ram only 2 GB, and i think 64 bit needs more RAM

X32 bi requires a minimum of 1GB RAM to run Windows 8 and x64 requires a minimum of 2 GB RAM. That said, you also need at least a 2nd Generation I core processor. You also need to have a minimum of 1366 x 768 resolution capability. You will not be able to take advantage of all the new Metro feature with out at least that, in the same way Windows 7 required a certain resolution to fully experience Aero.

If I were you, I'd see what you can find at the AMD site in the way of x32 bit Beta drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB