Solved Win 8 AMD Switchable Graphics FAQ

Is it possible that Sony's W7-drivers will work for me in W8? Sony : SVE14A1S1EB uppdateringar | Ladda ner uppdateringar för SVE14A1S1EB

I've found Windows 8 drivers for Radeon HD 7570M and Intel HD 4000 - will that work for me in W8?
Thanks for reply!

@EarthBow:

Question 1: Yes, Windows 7 (WDDM 1.0/DirectX 9.0) drivers are SUPPOSED to work on Windows 8 (WDDM 1.1/1.2), however from all reports, older versions (your Sony Win7 link is based on Catalyst 12.1/12.2) of the AMD driver may NOT work properly (Code 10 issues).

Question 2: If you've found Windows 8 drivers from Sony, they should work fine! The only reason to use 3rd party drivers is to get the LATEST versions, fixes, and performance enhancements (read: gaming), or unsupported hardware on your Windows 8 install working.

This is my HP notebook configuration: Intel 3000 (ok) and AMD Radeon HD 6490M
So these drivers are not compatible with my video cards (I've already tried). Are there any driver compatible with mine?

@lgigil:

Need more info!

Which drivers have you tried that are not compatible? What model HP do you have? Are there HP Windows 8 drivers listed for your model at 24/7 Online support for HP's Home and Home Office Products | HP® Support? Have you tried the latest Leshcat? Have you read the [* DRIVERS UPDATE *] info on the first post?

hello, any news about the 7690m xt driver's? so far what is the better solution? thanks

@aleseba77:

I have seen (mixed?) reports that the AMD Radeon HD 7690M XT works with the latest Leshcat Catalyst 12.10 WHQL UnifL for AMD+Intel Graphics. The only way to know would be to remove your existing drivers and try it, using these instructions (with screenshots) from the Leshcat UnifL Manual.

Alternatively, you could try the (older than Leshcat) HP SoftPaq SP58815, based on Catalyst 12.9/12.10 Beta (download here); for details, see the advice to Jersey Tom. To install, just download and run.

@ALL - for more info on the choices, as well as which drivers support what, see this post, and also the top and bottom of the first post.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
This is my HP notebook configuration: Intel 3000 (ok) and AMD Radeon HD 6490M
So these drivers are not compatible with my video cards (I've already tried). Are there any driver compatible with mine?
I have the DV7-6135dx with the same configuration. The HP update worked for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Thanks m1a1mg,

Perhaps you could have a look in C:\SWSetup and tell us which SoftPaq (SPxxxxx) was installed for the 6490M?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Hi,

I installed the latest OEM driver for my HP Pavilion G6. The driver is SP59147. However, when I right-click on the desktop and choose Configure Switchable Graphics nothing happens. When I open up the Catalyst Control Center it closes abruptly when I select Power -> Switchable Graphics Application Settings.

Of course all my games are running using the HD3000 GPU because nothing can ever be easy. Does anyone else have this similar issue and maybe know a fix or workaround?

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
Hi,

I installed the latest OEM driver for my HP Pavilion G6. The driver is SP59147. However, when I right-click on the desktop and choose Configure Switchable Graphics nothing happens. When I open up the Catalyst Control Center it closes abruptly when I select Power -> Switchable Graphics Application Settings.

Of course all my games are running using the HD3000 GPU because nothing can ever be easy. Does anyone else have this similar issue and maybe know a fix or workaround?

Thanks!

A quick fix might be to install the AMD Catalyst 12.10 or 12.11 Beta release (see first post for downloads), or if you want to keep the HP-supported configuration, uninstall then reinstall the HP drivers (SP59147 in your case).

To troubleshoot the current HP driver installation, you might need to provide more details on your current install in Device Manager (see example here) - not sure it would be better than a reinstall though.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Can someone point me in the direction of the correct drivers to fix the problem for 7690M XT? I am pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly but it still doesn't work.

From my understanding I need an AMD signed Intel graphics driver? My HP model's website does not list any graphics drivers for windows 8 so I downloaded the Intel Drivers from the notebookcheck link. After installation, in my device manager it still says "Intel HD graphics 3000" (same as before). I tried installing the AMD drivers though and I am still getting Code 43.

I must be downloading some wrong drivers but does anyone have the correct links? Or care to explain it to me like I'm 5? haha.

Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pron64bit
Can someone point me in the direction of the correct drivers to fix the problem for 7690M XT? I am pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly but it still doesn't work.

From my understanding I need an AMD signed Intel graphics driver? My HP model's website does not list any graphics drivers for windows 8 so I downloaded the Intel Drivers from the notebookcheck link. After installation, in my device manager it still says "Intel HD graphics 3000" (same as before). I tried installing the AMD drivers though and I am still getting Code 43.

I must be downloading some wrong drivers but does anyone have the correct links? Or care to explain it to me like I'm 5? haha.

Thank you.

Like I've said before, the fastest way to get help, is if you post screenshots (or type the actual info in a new message) like the 3 pics posted here, on Post #46.

Also, I've updated the info regarding fixes for (Code 43) errors at the top of the first post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
Untitled2.jpgUntitled.jpgUntitled3.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pron64bit
Hi,

Thanks!

A quick fix might be to install the AMD Catalyst 12.10 or 12.11 Beta release (see first post for downloads), or if you want to keep the HP-supported configuration, uninstall then reinstall the HP drivers (SP59147 in your case).

To troubleshoot the current HP driver installation, you might need to provide more details on your current install in Device Manager (see example here) - not sure it would be better than a reinstall though.

Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled my drivers using Driver Fusion as per the instructions. Then reinstalled the OEM drivers. Same thing, the Switchable Graphics option does nothing. Updated to the AMD Catalyst 12.10 drivers. No change. What the hell. Device manager is picking up my Radeon 7450m just fine but I can't switch to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
Hi,

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled my drivers using Driver Fusion as per the instructions. Then reinstalled the OEM drivers. Same thing, the Switchable Graphics option does nothing. Updated to the AMD Catalyst 12.10 drivers. No change. What the hell. Device manager is picking up my Radeon 7450m just fine but I can't switch to it.

Ok, so I sorta fixed my issue by changing my Switchable Graphics option in the BIOS from Dynamic to Fixed. This causes the laptop to always use the Radeon when the AC adaptor is plugged in and the Intel when on the battery. Still can't change it for individual applications but I can use the Catalyst Control Center to specify which GPU is the high-performance one. I hope this might help someone who had a similar issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
@justindm

I think I saw an earlier post suggested that you should be using HP SP58815 (please verify) for 7690M XT.

As for what is meant by AMD-signed Intel drivers, please see this explanation.

Basically, you need to extract either the HP SPxxxxx or Leshcat's latest, then go to Device Manager and select Intel HD Graphics... -> Driver (tab) -> Update Driver -> Browse... -> Let me pick... Have Disk... then select the folder with the AMD-signed Intel drivers:

For HP - C:\SWSetup\SPxxxxx\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF
For Leshcat - C:\Drivers\Catalyst_*\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
AMD has released Catalyst 12.11 Beta 6; meanwhile Leshcat Catalyst 12.11 Beta4 UnifL for AMD+Intel Graphics is also available.

Will be updating the first post shortly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP x64
For crist sake, yet another Chinese menu selection fiasco,

1 from column A - AMD beta 6

1 from column b - Leshcat 12-11b4

1 from the side order - notebook review - sp58788

And of course more "fix"s and twists and turns for installing said mess to hope it works after figuring out how to go about it.

And as usual nothing for my dv7t-6c00 for W8 on HP driver support page except the Nov 2011 driver for W7 (7690m xt/Intel 3000)

So far all I've seen is BS with these drivers, I still need just one way to do this crap, by the damned AMD driver being downloaded and installed, and than the intel driver downloaded, and the whole friggin switchable mess work. But as usual none of the 3 can get just ONE instalable driver.

At least AMD and Leshcats are w8 or w7, the notebook one is only for w8

All I know first hand is that the NVIDIA driver updates are "directly" downloadable and installable from NVIDIA for the Gforce gpu people. Lucky them!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

And of course more "fix"s and twists and turns for installing said mess to hope it works after figuring out how to go about it.

And as usual nothing for my dv7t-6c00 for W8 on HP driver support page except the Nov 2011 driver for W7 (7690m xt/Intel 3000)

So far all I've seen is BS with these drivers, I still need just one way to do this crap, by the damned AMD driver being downloaded and installed, and than the intel driver downloaded, and the whole friggin switchable mess work. But as usual none of the 3 can get just ONE instalable driver.

All I know first hand is that the NVIDIA driver updates are "directly" downloadable and installable from NVIDIA for the Gforce gpu people. Lucky them!

I, really, do feel your pain on this issue. I recently posted the following thread on the HP Community Support site, after learning that HP's "Paid Technical Support" might be able to provide a fix or work around to the switchable graphics issue, but only at a $200 cost to certain model laptop owners.

AMD/Intel Switchable Graphics And Upgrading to Windows 8 - HP Support Forum

I've been told, in no uncertain terms, by HP that only the latest model PCs will have Windows 8 support. HP CURRENTLY HAS NO PLANS to support PC's with the AMD + Intel switchable graphics who decide to upgrade to Windows 8. However, the newer model PCs that have NVidia + Intel graphics WILL have Windows 8 support and drivers made available to them.

That said, Leshcat is currently the only Windows 8 driver option for those HP owners with AMD + Intel switchable graphics for now. However, the Leshcat option is not a fix for the problem, but rather an acceptable workaround until an actual fix to the problem becomes available. You also have the option to pay HP's Paid Technical Support to apply a similar type of workaround solution to that of the Leshcat option.

I, personally, have decided to hold out until a proper fix becomes available, which does not involve me installing Beta drivers or modifying my system's registry in order to apply the fix.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center © 2013 Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600.16408
    HP Pavilion dv6t – 6100 CTO series Notebook PC LM328AV#ABA
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-2720QM @ 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD + Radeon(TM) HD 6490M
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox Nightly28.0a1
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

I, really, do feel your pain on this issue. I recently posted the following thread on the HP Community Support site, after learning that HP's "Paid Technical Support" might be able to provide a fix or work around to the switchable graphics issue, but only at a $200 cost to certain model laptop owners.

I've been told, in no uncertain terms, by HP that only the latest model PCs will have Windows 8 support. HP CURRENTLY HAS NO PLANS to support PC's with the AMD + Intel switchable graphics who decide to upgrade to Windows 8. However, the newer model PCs that have NVidia + Intel graphics WILL have Windows 8 support and drivers made available to them.

That said, Leshcat is currently the only Windows 8 driver option for those HP owners with AMD + Intel switchable graphics for now. However, the Leshcat option is not a fix for the problem, but rather an acceptable workaround until an actual fix to the problem becomes available. You also have the option to pay HP's Paid Technical Support to apply a similar type of workaround solution to that of the Leshcat option.

I, personally, have decided to hold out until a proper fix becomes available, which does not involve me installing Beta drivers or modifying my system's registry in order to apply the fix.

Hy Friend

Well its just an insane way to do business, I have already decided to "S"-can HP and AMD products after this crap of something as simple as a GPU driver, that can't be downloaded or installed, as I have done for years messing with computers, this was my first run at a laptop, and I guess i didn't read up enough on them, more to the point I got this ($1000+) machine cheap $360, so I figured I was getting a deal, lol yeah right. I got my buddy a good deal also on a ACER but with a Gforce GPU, when I set it up for him it was unreal how it asked to update the graphics driver right off, I downloaded the NVIDIA driver, directly from NVIDIA, installed, rebooted and kept right on going, NO friggin "fix" needed. I was so pissed lol (at myself)

My dv7t-6c00 isn't that "old" I picked it up this July, it has 3rd gen Intel and a 2670QM cpu, ALL the hardware in this thing is top notch, "except" this idiotic AMD/Intel setup. and even that wouldn't be all that bad were the proper drivers available. I mean damn even if AMD could be updated alone and leave the Intel driver as is from now on would work, as long as it supports W8.

I am at a loss though how some with the same GPU/APU setup have a listed driver from HP. Besides this Leshcat, there is also this notebook review site that actually HAS a W8 driver for this card so I'm at a loss what you were told by HP, as that driver is supposed to be "HP". Besides drivers are not something you pay for, they are always provided by the hardware maker. I have one guy over at leashcat blog that has the same setup that installed it and said it did work, except something about BF3 not playing right. He also just installed that 12-11b4 from that site and it also seems to work for him in W8. So I dono, I do know that going with the one on notebook is easier to install as its supposed to be a "signed driver, where leashcats end up making a watermark and test mode W8, which I read can be removed, but I assume W8 still see's it in test mode. And with leshcat's you need to go through this uninstall procedure first. Hell I haven't even been able to install my W8 yet. I also got that $15 upgrade promo.

I want to install it but if it ends up a mess I'd have to go through a full restore from my recovery disks and than recover my Norton C drive backup as it is now because installing W8 hoses the on disk recovery partition and the tools partition. Man!!

I was looking for this Enduro driver thing from AMD to be the savior of this switchable garbage, but so far they can't get it together either due to Intel playing such a part in brightness and sleep issues, it all sucks.....

Read that HP blog, I posted several times on another related areas,

Windows 8 drivers for HP notebooks with switchable graphics. - Page 32 - HP Support Forum

And here TO ALL 7690m XT LAPTOP USERS - PLEASE POST TO SHOW HP WE WAN... - Page 8 - HP Support Forum

Maybe Microsoft needs to get into this as they're pushing W8 like crazy.

(BTW: my sister is in Indy, my bio dad was from Sullivan)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

Hy Friend

Well its just an insane way to do business, I have already decided to "S"-can HP and AMD products after this crap of something as simple as a GPU driver, that can't be downloaded or installed, as I have done for years messing with computers, this was my first run at a laptop, and I guess i didn't read up enough on them, more to the point I got this ($1000+) machine cheap $360, so I figured I was getting a deal, lol yeah right. I got my buddy a good deal also on a ACER but with a Gforce GPU, when I set it up for him it was unreal how it asked to update the graphics driver right off, I downloaded the NVIDIA driver, directly from NVIDIA, installed, rebooted and kept right on going, NO friggin "fix" needed. I was so pissed lol (at myself)

My dv7t-6c00 isn't that "old" it has 3rd gen Intel and a 2670QM cpu, ALL the hardware in this thing is top notch, "except" this idiotic AMD/Intel setup. and even that wouldn't be all that bad were the proper drivers available. I mean damn even if AMD could be updated alone and leave the Intel driver as is from now on would work, as long as it supports W8.

I am at a loss though how some with the same GPU/APU setup have a listed driver from HP. Besides this Leshcat there is also this notebook review site that actually HAS a W8 driver for this card so I'm at a loss what you were told by HP, as that driver is supposed to be "HP". I have one guy over at leashcat blog that has the same setup that installed it and said it did work, except something about BF3 not playing right. He also just installed that 12-11b4 from that site and it also seems to work for him in W8. So I dono, I do know that going with the one on notebook is easier to install as its supposed to be a "signed driver, where leashcats end up making a watermark and test mode W8, which I read can be removed, but I assume W8 still see's it in test mode. And with leshcat's you need to go through this uninstall procedure first. Hell I haven't even been able to install my W8 yet.

I want to install it but if it ends up a mess I'd have to go through a full restore from my recovery disks and than recover my Norton C drive backup as it is now because installing W8 hoses the on disk recovery partition and the tools partition. Man!!

I was looking for this Enduro driver thing from AMD to be the savior of this switchable garbage, but so far they can't get it together either due to Intel playing such a part in brightness and sleep issues, it all sucks.....

I also managed to get rid of the AMD driver error code and successfully install the Catalyst Control Center, when I, too, was using the Leshcat drivers while running the pre-release 9200 build Beta version of Windows 8.

I ended up with the TEST MODE watermark on my desktop. My battery life fell by half and my system ran hot most of the time.

I bought the official release version of Windows 8 on October 26 and installed after re-installing my original Windows 7 OS.

My AMD driver is currently displaying error (code 43), but my system is running okay for the most part. I'm not really doing much gaming for now, so I think I can live with things as they are until I can find a real fix for the problem. My Wireless Display works, my system isn't overheating, and my battery life is back to normal.

My, HP DV6t 6100 Quad Core i7 CTO, laptop's with its native 1366 x 768 display resolution barely meets the minimum resolution requirement to even run Windows 8 with all its features enabled. My system is currently covered by a full accidental damage and standard warranty plan until June 2013. I want to avoid doing anything to void those warranties, so I'm just going to deal with the obvious inconvenience of not being able to use both GPUs for the moment. Hopefully, Leshcat will release an Official version of their Unified AMD + Intel driver set soon and the problem will be solved.

There is a way to get rid of the TEST MODE watermark caused by the Leshcat installation process, but it requires further modification of your system's register. That is just way too much trouble to go through, especially if you are running The Pre-release Beta version of Windows 8, of which the activation for it is scheduled to expire soon anyway.

I'm now focusing on adding a touch screen overlay kit to my DV6t, so I'm not forced to purchase yet another Windows 8 capable laptop only a year after buying this one. I refuse to drop another $1200 USD one year later just so I can run the latest $39.99 OS upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD + Radeon(TM) HD 6490M
    Sound Card
    IDT Beats Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 (Native)
    Cooling
    HP Cool Sene v.1
    Internet Speed
    Broadband (Cable)
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox Nightly28.0a1
    Other Info
    Intel Wireless Display
    Bluetooth 4.0

Hy Friend

My dv7t-6c00 isn't that "old" it has 3rd gen Intel and a 2670QM cpu, ALL the hardware in this thing is top notch, "except" this idiotic AMD/Intel setup. and even that wouldn't be all that bad were the proper drivers available. I mean damn even if AMD could be updated alone and leave the Intel driver as is from now on would work, as long as it supports W8.

I am at a loss though how some with the same GPU/APU setup have a listed driver from HP. Besides this Leshcat there is also this notebook review site that actually HAS a W8 driver for this card so I'm at a loss what you were told by HP, as that driver is supposed to be "HP". I have one guy over at leashcat blog that has the same setup that installed it and said it did work, except something about BF3 not playing right. He also just installed that 12-11b4 from that site and it also seems to work for him in W8. So I dono, I do know that going with the one on notebook is easier to install as its supposed to be a "signed driver, where leashcats end up making a watermark and test mode W8, which I read can be removed, but I assume W8 still see's it in test mode. And with leshcat's you need to go through this uninstall procedure first. Hell I haven't even been able to install my W8 yet.

I also managed to get rid of the AMD driver error code and successfully install the Catalyst Control Center, when I, too, was using the Leshcat drivers while running the pre-release 9200 build Beta version of Windows 8.

I ended up with the TEST MODE watermark on my desktop. My battery life fell by half and my system ran hot most of the time.

I bought the official release version of Windows 8 on October 26 and installed after re-installing my original Windows 7 OS.

My AMD driver is currently displaying error (code 43), but my system is running okay for the most part. I'm not really doing much gaming for now, so I think I can live with things as they are until I can find a real fix for the problem. My Wireless Display works, my system isn't overheating, and my battery life is back to normal.

My, HP DV6t 6100 Quad Core i7 CTO, laptop's with its native 1366 x 768 display resolution barely meets the minimum resolution requirement to even run Windows 8 with all its features enabled. My system is currently covered by a full accidental damage and standard warranty plan until June 2013. I want to avoid doing anything to void those warranties, so I'm just going to deal with the obvious inconvenience of not being able to use both GPUs for the moment. Hopefully, Leshcat will release an Official version of their Unified AMD + Intel driver set soon and the problem will be solved.

There is a way to get rid of the TEST MODE watermark caused by the Leshcat installation process, but it requires further modification of your system's register. That is just way too much trouble to go through, especially if you are running The Pre-release Beta version of Windows 8, of which the activation for it is scheduled to expire soon anyway.

I'm now focusing on adding a touch screen overlay kit to my DV6t, so I'm not forced to purchase yet another Windows 8 capable laptop only a year after buying this one. I refuse to drop another $1200 USD one year later just so I can run the latest $39.99 OS upgrade.

OK, well I haven't tried any W8 version as yet, like I said I have this W8 Pro from the promo burned to DVD and my install key sitting here, I even have the media center key.

As I said the hardware on this thing is fine, I have a 17.3" @1920x1080, righ now I use a 2nd monitor my Samsung 26" via the vga connection @1920x1200. I got 8 g ram, and this idiot 7690m xt has 2g gddr5, so its more than capable for what I do, I don't "game" either, except some run of the mill stuff like Action ball. So gaming isn't the issue, workability in W8 as this OEM driver in W7 is, is what I want. This thing even has a blue ray player DVD and blue tooth, and this weird fingerprint reader thing. so I have what I need hardware wise.

I will be waiting another month yet also to see what transpires with this garbage. We have till jan 31 to install and activate this W8 promo anyway. So who knows maybe somebody in a higher pay grade will get through to HP by than.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Hy Friend

OK, well I haven't tried any W8 version as yet, like I said I have this W8 Pro from the promo burned to DVD and my install key sitting here, I even have the media center key.

As I said the hardware on this thing is fine, I have a 17.3" @1920x1080, righ now I use a 2nd monitor my Samsung 26" via the vga connection @1920x1200. I got 8 g ram, and this idiot 7690m xt has 2g gddr5, so its more than capable for what I do, I don't "game" either, except some run of the mill stuff like Action ball. So gaming isn't the issue, workability in W8 as this OEM driver in W7 is, is what I want. This thing even has a blue ray player DVD and blue tooth, and this weird fingerprint reader thing. so I have what I need hardware wise.

I will be waiting another month yet also to see what transpires with this garbage. We have till jan 31 to install and activate this W8 promo anyway. So who knows maybe somebody in a higher pay grade will get through to HP by than.

You sound like you're all ready to go then. Can I ask what type of processor you're running?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GB