Why Have Most Windows 8 Users Not Upgraded to Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to Windows 8. It’s what the original Windows 8 should have been, with important improvements for both desktop and tablet users. So why are more people using Windows 8 than Windows 8.1?

It’s hard not to see this as a failure for Microsoft. Windows 8.1 is the first “new version” of Windows they’ve given out for free to existing users and most Windows 8 users aren’t biting.

Source

A Guy

Why are you requiring Windows 8 customers move to Windows 8.1 two years after the General Availability?

Historically, we’ve had a similar support approach related to Windows service packs; when a Windows service pack is released, Microsoft provides customers 24 months of support for the prior service pack or original RTM version. Unlike service packs that are typically just a collection of fixes, Windows 8.1 has new features and enhancements. We designed Windows 8.1 to give customers an ability to deploy this update in a manner that is similar to how customers deploy service packs, therefore we are applying the existing service pack support policy to Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 does not change any hardware requirements compared with Windows 8 or Windows 7 and existing Windows Store apps will work with Windows 8.1. The update has little to no impact on existing desktop apps and there is no direct software cost because enterprise customers with Software Assurance licensing will receive Windows 8.1 as a free update. For organizations running legacy applications that need to be upgraded, there are tools to manage deployment in order to help mitigate cost and impact.

Windows 8.1 Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
What about all the updates if someone stayed with plain W8 and not go to 8.1 or 8.1.1 ?
Well, what about them? Surely they would ask if they had a problem. I was told off by someone for asking the same question recently - some people can't upgrade. Don't look for a problem before it starts I think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
What about all the updates if someone stayed with plain W8 and not go to 8.1 or 8.1.1 ?
Well, what about them? Surely they would ask if they had a problem. I was told off by someone for asking the same question recently - some people can't upgrade. Don't look for a problem before it starts I think.
Well, better to be prepared, a wrong update and "poooffff".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Windows 8.1 has changed hardware requirements from Windows 8.

I currently run Windows 8 x64 on an older desktop. Can't upgrade to 8.1 x64 because 8.1 requires LAHF/SAHF and PrefetchW to upgrade to x64 and my desktop doesn't support these features.

I can run x86 version but would like to be able to use x64. So I will stay put until support dies or I purchase new hardware.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Home Built
    CPU
    AMD X4 9850
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4A785 M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD 4200
Well, better to be prepared, a wrong update and "poooffff".
OK I said the wrong thing. I don't think my ZX81 will run Vista though (he says, desperately grabbing at straws)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender

:thumb:

Excellent to say the least. Don't need no stinkin' Start Flag on my Task Bar! There's one in the hot corner already.

hmmmm....;) I've disabled the desktop hot spots and charms, and 8.1x64 has never been better...;) 98% of the time I never even see the "Metro" ui, and it's wonderful. I've done this courtesy of a start menu program: it's so much better to be able to do everything I want from a single desktop screen than to have to side and vertical scroll simply because so much screen space is wasted! The "start screen" is just an exceedingly ugly desktop, don't'cha know...

IMO, if you don't use touch then "Metro" will get in your way in a major way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
Kerry, I know you did the leaked updates. Do you boot to Desktop? If so, does WinKey/C get you the black Charms bar and time on it? How about hot corners? The right corners get you the white Charms bar? How about the lower left Start Flag and right click on that? Is the Start Flag still in the Task Bar?

Hipsie, I hate that stupid Charms bar! I'll be doing something really serious and go too far to the right and that stupid thing pops out! Yeah, it's easy enough to get rid of, but when it pops out at least ten times while I'm working on a project, it's distracting, throws my train of thought out of kilter and just POs me in general. Not to mention the time it takes over and over and over and over ad infinitum . . .

So, the best thing that could happen is to program the Charms bar to only come out of its box when I want it to! Windows Key + C is good.

Now, if someone tells me I can get rid of the Charms bar that would be icing on the cake and egg on my face! ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Me too - good isn't it :)

:thumb:

Excellent to say the least. Don't need no stinkin' Start Flag on my Task Bar! There's one in the hot corner already.

hmmmm....;) I've disabled the desktop hot spots and charms, and 8.1x64 has never been better...;) 98% of the time I never even see the "Metro" ui, and it's wonderful. I've done this courtesy of a start menu program: it's so much better to be able to do everything I want from a single desktop screen than to have to side and vertical scroll simply because so much screen space is wasted! The "start screen" is just an exceedingly ugly desktop, don't'cha know...

IMO, if you don't use touch then "Metro" will get in your way in a major way.

I'm so exceedingly happy for you that even my flowers bloomed around me today! :)

Why don't you do something useful and teach Wynona how to disable it all. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Kerry, I know you did the leaked updates. Do you boot to Desktop? If so, does WinKey/C get you the black Charms bar and time on it? How about hot corners? The right corners get you the white Charms bar? How about the lower left Start Flag and right click on that? Is the Start Flag still in the Task Bar?

Hipsie, I hate that stupid Charms bar! I'll be doing something really serious and go too far to the right and that stupid thing pops out! Yeah, it's easy enough to get rid of, but when it pops out at least ten times while I'm working on a project, it's distracting, throws my train of thought out of kilter and just POs me in general. Not to mention the time it takes over and over and over and over ad infinitum . . .

So, the best thing that could happen is to program the Charms bar to only come out of its box when I want it to! Windows Key + C is good.

Now, if someone tells me I can get rid of the Charms bar that would be icing on the cake and egg on my face! ;)

​The only thing I've been able to accomplish is disabling the Charms Hint and the top right corner... links to follow...

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15538-charms-bar-hint-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

View attachment 40571

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home

​The only thing I've been able to accomplish is disabling the Charms Hint and the top right corner... links to follow...

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15538-charms-bar-hint-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

View attachment 40571

I turned the upper hot corners off too. I also disabled the edge swipe option on my laptop. I hardly ever see it on my desktop, unless I want it. On my laptop it was annoying, as I usually slid my hand across the palm rest without looking to find the touch pad when I need it. That almost always bought up the charms bar because of the accidental edge swipe.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

Hipsie, if it entails installing a third party start button, I've been there, done that and didn't hang around long enough to get the T-shirt. Every start button I've installed leaves something lacking, so, thanks, but no thanks. That said, to each his own . . . I have no problem with those who like the things; I installed one for my best friend who has a system identical to mine.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I boot to the desktop, have the Quick Launch and Programs toolbars installed and Windows 8.1 gave me a teeny tiny little window for the few times I actually want to see the butt-ugly metro interface. I do like clicking on the teeny tiny window and just start typing to get what I want in a flash, and maybe one or two more things.

Thanks for thinking of me, though. It's appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Hipsie, if it entails installing a third party start button, I've been there, done that and didn't hang around long enough to get the T-shirt. Every start button I've installed leaves something lacking, so, thanks, but no thanks. That said, to each his own . . . I have no problem with those who like the things; I installed one for my best friend who has a system identical to mine.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I boot to the desktop, have the Quick Launch and Programs toolbars installed and Windows 8.1 gave me a teeny tiny little window for the few times I actually want to see the butt-ugly metro interface. I do like clicking on the teeny tiny window and just start typing to get what I want in a flash, and maybe one or two more things.

Thanks for thinking of me, though. It's appreciated.

I was exercising my Chicago whit. My apology I used you as an example. I wrote it in haste as an example due to the Charms problem in your previous posts. I meant no disrespect. BTW, did you get that worked out?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I was exercising my Chicago whit. My apology I used you as an example. I wrote it in haste as an example due to the Charms problem in your previous posts. I meant no disrespect. BTW, did you get that worked out?

You didn't offend me in any way, Hippsie. I knew you were being cute. :)

I don't think Microsoft will allow us to take down that horrible thing that pops out of the side of my monitor. I think they're too proud of it. Plus, I don't think any of them will even realize some of us don't like it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
On my system "That terrible thing" pops up only when I hover pointer in the right bottom corner for more than a second and the hot spot for it is 1/500 of the monitor screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
On my system "That terrible thing" pops up only when I hover pointer in the right bottom corner for more than a second and the hot spot for it is 1/500 of the monitor screen.
Makes you lose the will to live that doesn't it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Makes you lose the will to live that doesn't it.
I don't use Charms bar too often, I normally go thru "God Mode" or Control panel, all the desktop programs are grouped on the Start screen too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
It's really useful - :winkey: C tells you the time. It might do something else interesting but I've not figured it out yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
It's really useful - :winkey: C tells you the time. It might do something else interesting but I've not figured it out yet.
Well, not exactly a "Power house" feature, that Charms bar, comes handy when looking for an unknown program or feature thou.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
The charms bar will behave differently depending on where you launch it from so its not that easy a thing to just get rid of. If you have an App open and launch it from the screen the App is open on, Settings gets you the settings for that App. Launch it from your desktop and Settings gets you PC Settings etc. Launch it from your Metro Start Screen and you'll get different options at the top yet again.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard