What Windows 8 should have provided

It seems to me that you don't want to accept Windows 8 period. Instead of wasting your time looking for negative stories and moaning about the little things that are wrong, why not say things like, what I'd like to see in the next version of Windows 8 is. Blah, blah, blah..

Maybe you can ask the administrators of this forum to come up with a new Forum like, "What we'd like in Windows Blue" then everyone can have a say about what they want, as long as they block the words Start Menu and Aero.

You're getting very bitter and twisted over this and taking it extremely personally. It is after all just a piece of software made by a company that really couldn't give a rats about your opinion, or mine. But it will give a rats if enough people point out its shortfalls, as they see them, and that may prompt some action if there's consistency. You might observe from my moniker that I am a fairly prolific Windows user and I hope that Windows 8 does succeed, but that does not preclude me from voicing my opinions about aspects of its implementation that I find poor.

You also seem to get things very mixed up about what I say, as I've never really had an issue with the lack of the old start menu (it's easily brought back) or the aero interface. Attributing complaints made by others to me, or implying that they fall in the same basket, shows that you're struggling to maintain a rational debate and emotion is taking over. Time for you to pause, I think, and take stock of what this is all about.

Im not getting bitter and twisted, that's you looking in the mirror. I'm happy with Windows 8 and the path Microsoft is taking. The thing that is boring me is the same rhetoric every day. You're the one that thinks Microsoft cares about what you think, they're fighting for survival, you're fighting for yourself.

You take it as a personal insult what Microsoft has done, I see it as a step into the future, and it is a first step the same as Windows when it first started. I can accept the change you can't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Im not getting bitter and twisted, that's you looking in the mirror. I'm happy with Windows 8 and the path Microsoft is taking. The thing that is boring me is the same rhetoric every day. You're the one that thinks Microsoft cares about what you think, they're fighting for survival, you're fighting for yourself.

You take it as a personal insult what Microsoft has done, I see it as a step into the future, and it is a first step the same as Windows when it first started. I can accept the change you can't.

I'm quite a happy Microsoft camper, no twitter and bisting from me, just facts. And kudos to you and your contentment, but if boredom is what afflicts you, then would it not be better to abstain from things that cause such afflictions?

I must also assume that English is not your first language, else you would not misinterpret this:

'...a company that really couldn't give a rats about your opinion, or mine.'

to mean:

'You're the one that thinks Microsoft cares about what you think,...'

It's also odd that you would anthropomorphise what a company has produced, into something that would cause personal insult. The world that you live in is curious indeed.

Finally, I've been living through tumultuous change for the last six decades, change is a fact of life. I wouldn't be here if I couldn't adapt to change. However, adapting is one thing, mindless following is another.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
What Microsoft should have provided with windows 8 is no updates needed less than 30 days after release. My oem install update was several hundred MB of updates right out of the box NOT a good omen. Then to find out that a update in 6 months (windows blue) hope it doesn't refer to BSOD. This tells me the release was half baked and rushed out the door. NOT a good omen.

We're fortunate that MS gives us updates as exploitable are found and ways to improve performance. Otherwise they could keep putting out a new version every month with the updates on OS disk.

Every OS had updates out of the box.

If we really don't like updates, we can check the box saying we'll check for updates ourselves. And never check !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
. I'm quite a happy Microsoft camper, no twitter and bisting from me, just facts

I think I see the problem, your perception of being happy is different to mine. Anyway I'm getting bored on this subject so I'll leave you with the final word.

Oh I forgot the subject of this thread, I hope MS listens to you, and puts that spinning wheel on your copy of Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
What 8 needs:

1. Improved full-service start button on desktop
2. Option of starting to desktop or Metro
3. Eliminate inefficiency of having to go back and forth between desktop and metro (e.g.,not starting a task on the desktop and having to use metro before the task is done
4. Get rid of charm terminology
5. Return repair install as an option
6. Clarify system builder/personal-use license
7. Use consistent terminology in desktop and metro areas
8. Get rid of flatness
9. Quit pushing use of MS account
10. Greatly improve functioning of IE in metro area
11. Don't "require" IE to be default for proper functioning
12. Sell "Retail" disc
13. Better deign and looks makeover for metro

I'll post more when I think of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
Many of the things you list make a lot of sense for the user.

They don't make sense for MS.

It is not about making it better for the user.

It is about pushing the users into the MS new business model.

That involves some kind of subscription service, and reduced control and choice for the user.

You won't see it in the commercials, of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Good question.

I am not sure some are being deliberately difficult or argumentative.

There are large variations among humans.

E.G. those over 6ft may be able to reach the top shelf - those under 6ft cannot.

Same applies to levels of comprehension.

Ray 8

Is it that you truly don't understand, or simply don't want to understand/acknowledge what is being discussed?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What 8 needs:

3. Eliminate inefficiency of having to go back and forth between desktop and metro (e.g.,not starting a task on the desktop and having to use metro before the task is done
8. Get rid of flatness
12. Sell "Retail" disc

Very good.

Many of the things you list make a lot of sense for the user.
They don't make sense for MS.
It is not about making it better for the user.
It is about pushing the users into the MS new business model.
That involves some kind of subscription service, and reduced control and choice for the user.
You won't see it in the commercials, of course.

Very good 2.

Those posts should be made stickies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
Bill must be hyper-bored now with all these additional comments.:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I'm not bored I've gone out to watch the grass grow, it's better than listening this same stuff for 12 months. But I'm sure you're excited Ray.
You should take your list of demands and chain yourself outside of Redmond, you need to be more proactive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm not bored I've gone out to watch the grass grow, it's better than listening this same stuff for 12 months. But I'm sure you're excited Ray.

Curious? If you're out watching the grass grow, how can you be here posting about boredom? Has someone hacked Windows Bill's account? Or is Windows Bill actually more than one person?

You should take your list of demands and chain yourself outside of Redmond, you need to be more proactive.

I and all the others posting here about Windows 8 issues (you do realise that I am not the only one making contrarian comment?) are doing just that. I'm sure that someone at Microsoft is monitoring comments on these forums and collating those for discussion at Microsoft meetings. Who knows, there may even be Windows 8 evangelists riding shotgun here and attempting to counter criticisms.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Oh Ray you'd better hurry to Redmond, the world seems to be taking to Windows 8.

"Microsoft says it has sold 60 million Windows 8 licenses to PC makers and those upgrading as of early January."

Also people have downloaded over 100 million apps from the Windows Store.

Wow, another 20 million in one month, not bad for something nobody wants.

My Computer

System One

• OS
With a bit of luck, maybe January will be a little bit worse so you can get your point across Ray, good luck to you and your Merry Men.

My Computer

System One

• OS
What 8 needs:

8. Get rid of flatness
12. Sell "Retail" disc

I'll post more when I think of them.

These are excellent thoughts. One thing I would say too (in light of your thought on the default browser), is make IE a consistent metro icon on the start screen, not ONLY when it is default but always.

Have you noticed that when Chrome or Firefox is the default browser, IE mysteriously "loses" it's Metro app and becomes desktop only? That's WEIRD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Memory
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP
    Sound Card
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D and 20" 2009m HP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 and 1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Intel 730 Series 2.5" 240GB SSD (OS + programs) WD Blue 1 TB HDD: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM (personal files)
    PSU
    Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M 620W ATX12V
    Case
    AZZA Solano 1000 Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front MicroATX/ATX/Full ATX
    Cooling
    Fans. Everywhere. (but they're surprisingly silent)
    Keyboard
    HP USB keyboard, 6 ft cable, Height: 1.1 inch, Width: 6.3 inches, Length: 17.3 inches
    Mouse
    HP USB mouse, 6 ft cable,
    Internet Speed
    36 Mbps download, 6 Mbps upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender + MalwareBytes
With a bit of luck, maybe January will be a little bit worse so you can get your point across Ray, good luck to you and your Merry Men.

I have to say that you seem to have absolutely no idea about the point/s that I and others are making. Criticism of a user interface does not equate to a death wish for Microsoft. Then again, maybe that's the odd way in which some view all things in the world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
"I'm sure that someone at Microsoft is monitoring comments on these forums and collating those for discussion at Microsoft meetings"

I'm sure Microsoft does Ray, the only problem is nothing has changed in 12 months, they probably look in once a month and say, oh yeah nothing's changed, same old stuff, Start Menu, Aero, boot into desktop and horrible tiles, hohum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
"I'm sure that someone at Microsoft is monitoring comments on these forums and collating those for discussion at Microsoft meetings"

I'm sure Microsoft does Ray, the only problem is nothing has changed in 12 months, they probably look in once a month and say, oh yeah nothing's changed, same old stuff, Start Menu, Aero, boot into desktop and horrible tiles, hohum.

You still don't understand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Look Ray, I've got some criticisms on different aspects of Windows 8, but these things have been rehashed a million times over. Also, though I might be wrong, I think I can understand why Microsoft has done a lot of these things.

So seeing as all my programmes still run, and Windows 8 is faster at just about everything, I think I can put up with a few minor irritations from time to time.

Don't you think it's a great idea that MS is trying to make a unified experience across all devices, I do.

Hey look Microsoft will be bringing out Windows Blue soon, maybe they will have addressed some of these concerns.

My Computer

System One

• OS
There is nothing wrong with having a unified OS, it makes a lot of sense and simplifies things in a world where there is a lot of commonality in devices and their capabilities. Note that I said 'a lot' not total commonality. There are differences in device capabilities and user requirements.

What purposes people put smartphones, tablets, notebooks/laptops and desktops to, can be similar, yet can also be wildly divergent. The device itself can/will restrict the ultimate use towards which the device can be utilised. But to deliberately reduce the capability, or not take full advantage of the capabilities, of devices such as desktops is silly in the extreme.

It's been a marketing decision, not an engineering decision (the accountants probably didn't have the usual clout in this decision for once) that has prompted Microsoft to take this route. The problem is that marketers and engineers see things differently and in this case, the marketers' focus has been solely on Apple and Samsung and their dominance with phones and tablets. An important focus, but as I have said, throwing the baby out with the bath water by neglecting desktop users.

Is there any reason why every image of a Windows 8 device shows this:

View attachment 14456

Maybe it's because that's as exciting as it gets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back