Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?

Ubuntu for tablets revealed with split screen multi-tasking, preview for Nexus slates coming this week

This is very different to what Windows offers, for example, with its separate WP8, RT and Windows 8 versions. In fact, Mark Shuttleworth claims to have "cracked this one in a way that has eluded Microsoft," not least because Ubuntu's approach means that smartphone- and tablet-sized apps can run side-by-side on the same device in split screen mode. For example, you could have the Skype phone app running at the same time as a tablet document editor. This feature will be called "side stage," and judging from the video -- which is all we have to go on at this point -- it looks like a nifty approach to multi-tasking, and perhaps slightly more flexible that Samsung's multi-window solution in TouchWiz.

Ubuntu for tablets revealed with split screen multi-tasking, preview for Nexus slates coming this week

I think there will be interesting times ahead.

I can look back at the debates that I've had over the years with Apple and Linux fanboys (this goes back to at least 1997) and I now really appreciate that Microsoft fanboys are just as bad, if not worse, than the former. However, Windows 8 has brought out the very worst in Microsoft fanboys, always on the immediate and often irrational attack over any slight, perceived or real. At the end of the day, this rampant fanboyism and inability to consider anything contrary in a balanced way, will come back to haunt you.

I've tried Linux numerous times (Ubuntu from at least version 10 and the latest Mint) and yesterday removed and installed Vista back on my test bed notebook that contained Mint (I'm still installing updates 24 hours later, not without issues), so that I can better evaluate LibreOffice and Thunderbird on a low spec device. Linux is good, but it's not great and still has a long way to go before it can compete with Windows (of any flavour) when it comes to versatility. That said, things are happening and anyone that ignores what's going on is either wilfully blind or a fool.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I can look back at the debates that I've had over the years with Apple and Linux fanboys (this goes back to at least 1997) and I now really appreciate that Microsoft fanboys are just as bad, if not worse, than the former. However, Windows 8 has brought out the very worst in Microsoft fanboys, always on the immediate and often irrational attack over any slight, perceived or real. At the end of the day, this rampant fanboyism and inability to consider anything contrary in a balanced way, will come back to haunt you.

I've tried Linux numerous times (Ubuntu from at least version 10 and the latest Mint) and yesterday removed and installed Vista back on my test bed notebook that contained Mint (I'm still installing updates 24 hours later, not without issues), so that I can better evaluate LibreOffice and Thunderbird on a low spec device. Linux is good, but it's not great and still has a long way to go before it can compete with Windows (of any flavour) when it comes to versatility. That said, things are happening and anyone that ignores what's going on is either wilfully blind or a fool.

I just asked you to explain what you said, I knew you wouldn't be able to, so now you call me a Fanboy. I know exactly what's going on around me, I should I've got my feet firmly embedded in three different OS's, well four if you count Linux.

If I were a MS Fanboy I wouldn't have all the tech that I've got, all I'm trying to point out is that their plan is the best that I can see at the moment, especially as most of the world is already heavily invested in Windows products.

I don't want any of this other stuff to go away, I just want MS to be given credit for what they're trying to do and not get continually bagged for doing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

I just asked you to explain what you said, I knew you wouldn't be able to, so now you call me a Fanboy. I know exactly what's going on around me, I should I've got my feet firmly embedded in three different OS's, well four if you count Linux.

If I were a MS Fanboy I wouldn't have all the tech that I've got, all I'm trying to point out is that their plan is the best that I can see at the moment, especially as most of the world is already heavily invested in Windows products.

I don't want any of this other stuff to go away, I just want MS to be given credit for what they're trying to do and not get continually bagged for doing it.

I responded to your questions here: http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/20722-ubuntu-does-what-microsoft-couldnt-4.html#post197599, in case you failed to notice (which appears most likely considering your subsequent confusion).

My follow-on post was to your general statement here: http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/20722-ubuntu-does-what-microsoft-couldnt-4.html#post197608, which sought no answers, and included a response to Mr Robot's post on Linux.

In what I understand to be the American vernacular, 'you need to take a chill pill.'

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Don't tell me you haven't worked out yet that I'm Australian.

Fair dinkum Mate :D

South Pacific is a little too small for all of us, gotta go conquer the world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Intel x58
    Memory
    6 x 2GB Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4890 CF
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 150GB Velociraptors (RAID 0 ) - OS
    1 x 1TB Seagate (Backup)
    1 x 1.5TB Seagate - Storage
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa/n52te
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    Too damn slow :-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I think I'm gonna give the mint a try, just for kicks...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Just to iterate some points here.

In Win8, You can run an app and desktop at the same time, however, it is 2 different panes and not all apps function when quarter or 3/4's screen.

I have been playing with ubuntu now for a couple of days, and tried both 12.10 and now 12.04 LTS. 12.04 is better, and smoother.

To start, I am not slamming Ubuntu, just stating my first impressions of Ubuntu at this time, and they are not entirely favorable.

The wubi installer is a slight PIA to get working properly. It will not always detect that you have the ISO, and forces you to download the ISO again, which it does automatically, but still, I already have it, detect it and use it, PINTA. And you can't point it to the ISO, or mount/drive location. Especially if you have to reinstall.
This is for Dual Booting with Win8 (or other), it installs as a Virtual Hard Drive in a folder called Ubuntu wherever you point it.
This is nice for a few reasons, but also a PIA to get working properly with no real settings. So, this is just a really stupid way of how they do it.

Trying it out in say Vbox or other, is fine, but you don't get full hardware support, or as much from a full install, or from the VHD wubi install.

I could install it in a Hyper-V VHD, which I have not tried yet. but not sure I want to go that far yet.

2. this is not just me, but others as well. using a USB Wireless Mouse (not BT), once booted, you have to unplug [DEL]or turn the mouse off and back on[/DEL], because, the mouse will scroll like 15 lines or more.

3. I have had 12.10 apps crash numerous times, such as Terminal, their App Store browser, gpedit and other stuff.
you can open it right back up, but, still they are crashing.

It's still not as user friendly as even Win8 is. Yes, Win8 is different, but if you have used windows for a long time, you pretty much know what you are looking for and can find it eventually. Software installs much quicker in Windows. I have tried installing a number of things in Ubuntu from the Software App they have, and it has not been exactly,,, quick, quite long for some small things to install. this could be their server. Cause I know it isn't my system, or my internet.

12.04, things open fast, but there are some apps that have been recommended, so I went looking and installed them, either they don't work anymore, or they are hard to find, and for the ones that don't work anymore, development has stopped.

So, with Linux, you run the risk, quite often of that happening.
Yeah, you do in Windows to, but, the software does continue to work in new versions, not always so in Linux

Linux has far too many flavors, and trying to find one you like is a daunting task in of itself. Then you have different shells, and again, finding one you like takes a lot of time. Then, you have to worry about having things work even across shells.

Linux, has a VERY VERY long way to go still before it can even be a contender to Mac, let alone Android, hell, ChomeOS has a better chance to be honest.

As for fanboyism, I don't call them Lin-Nazis for no reason. Sorry, but Windows people are really much more forgiving.
Sure, you have a rabid few, but honestly, not like Linux rabies. Lin-Nazis really does fit.

Now, Win8 has issues with how apps and desktop work, yes, it has separated the 2 areas, these really should be/need to be, brought together. And not in the App Area, in the Desktop. Otherwise I could see Windows dying a slow death.
The concepts that Ubuntu has for cross platform are what MS needs to focus on. I know they won't to that though.

IF, and that is a really huge IF, Ubuntu DOES happen to pull off the cross platform stuff, they will still have numerous issues with hardware and software support, and maintaining a repository of working software. Plus, they still need to get a whole lot more user friendly. I found a way to add shortcuts to the desktop, but they removed the Launcher creator and it's a pain to do it by command line.

Ubuntu still has continents to cross before it's even close to ready for prime time.

You could say, that my problems with ubuntu or Linux in general are, that I don't know the system. That's true, not as well as I know Windows. But, I'm a tech, I know how software works, I know how to use a command line and syntax, it's not difficult for me to know what I am reading when i go looking for help. But, Joe Schmo and his Grandma, well, let's just say, they can figure out Windows, good luck with Linux (any flavor).

Sure, you can surf and do some things out of the box in Linux, but if you want to do more, say watch Netflix? How to get Netflix streaming on Ubuntu 12.10 | TechRepublic

Have fun explaining that to Grandma, and when something goes wrong with Wine or it's missing something, how to fix it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
I read a couple of articles about the uber Chromebook Google is putting out.

$1000 is an awful lot to spend on a web browser.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT

I was gobsmacked at the price as well ($1500). So is there something to justify the cost and not just the screen resolution? A core i5 processor might mean that you could install another OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I guess I just see no point to the Chromebooks in general.

If I could walk into a store and buy a machine (tablet or laptop) that runs Ubuntu natively, I'd probably buy it. Even though my attempt to install Ubuntu on my old laptops failed, I was able to play around with it offline enough to see that it could b interesting to use. Especially as a secondary machine. Ubuntu is a real OS, with programs and feautures. Chrome OS is just a glorified web browser. I dont understand why anyone would pay a significant amount of $$$ for that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT

I was gobsmacked at the price as well ($1500). So is there something to justify the cost and not just the screen resolution? A core i5 processor might mean that you could install another OS.

Maybe. It still seems like a total waste of money to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
I guess I just see no point to the Chromebooks in general.
With the current generations of Chromebooks, the prices have been cheap. I have one sitting here with me right now. Samsung Chromebook 303C. It was $249. 16GB Flash Storage, USB 3.0 port, USB 2.0 port, HDMI output, SDcard reader, headphone/microphone jack, webcam, wifi, multipoint touchpad, and full size keyboard. And it came with 100GB of free space for 2 years on Google Drive.

Here it is sitting next to my Dell Latitude E6400 laptop with a 14" display
Chromebook_and_Latitude_zpsd5cd66b8.png

Here is a size comparison to my Latitude,
Chromebook_and_Latitude_Size_difference_zpsab1b92fd.png

For me personally, it's a great coffee table device for surfing the web. Since I type a lot, troll forums, read email, check facebook and shop online, this little device for $249 does all of those things outstandingly for me.

It awakes from sleep in 1.8 seconds. It cold boots to logon in 8.9 seconds. It powers off completely in 2.4 seconds. It lasts 6-8 hours on a charge. It weights 2.5lbs. (as a reference, my Latitude E6400 weights 5.5lbs). I weighed them both on the postal scale at work. And it's 100% fanless, and never gets warm. Since it has no mechanical hard drive, this thing makes no noise whatsoever.

The natural question is, "well, it's useless when your internet is down". But then so is my email, facebook, these forums, etc....so who cares.

Since it is just a "glorified" browser...if stolen it likely has nothing of any value on it. If you have a problem, you can reset it to factory defaults and this takes just under 2 minutes to completely wipe it. Since I use gmail and Chrome, it's automatically setup for my email and it syncs my bookmarks, my add-ons, and everything as soon as I connect. And in the event you do lose it, you are only out $250. Same goes if it's damaged, etc.

And it's easily repairable. Just today, I unfortunately had to replace the 11.6" LCD screen because it was stepped on and cracked. The screen was $49.99 from laptopscreens.com, and I was able to install it and have it working in under 20 minutes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
And serious getting they are:

Chrome OS update auto-arranges windows, allows multi-display desktops

Chrome OS being a web-based platform doesn't preclude the existence of power users -- see the Chromebook Pixel. Google wants to encourage them with software, too, which is why it's rolling out a new update to the stable Chrome OS code. The new version automatically positions windows to show more whenever a user hasn't customized the look, and there's now official support for extending a desktop across multiple screens.
Chrome OS update auto-arranges windows, allows multi-display desktops

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have been playing with ubuntu now for a couple of days, and tried both 12.10 and now 12.04 LTS. 12.04 is better, and smoother.

To start, I am not slamming Ubuntu, just stating my first impressions of Ubuntu at this time, and they are not entirely favorable.

The wubi installer is a slight PIA to get working properly.
12.04, things open fast, but there are some apps that have been recommended, so I went looking and installed them, either they don't work anymore, or they are hard to find, and for the ones that don't work anymore, development has stopped.

I have read quite a few comments from people complaining about:

• WUBI (use a VM or a physical install).
  • The bloat in Ubuntu 12.10 slowing it down

IMO, Unity and GNOME 3 are awful.
They would be the most likely culprits regarding the problem of old software not working.

Linux has far too many flavors, and trying to find one you like is a daunting task in of itself. Then you have different shells, and again, finding one you like takes a lot of time. Then, you have to worry about having things work even across shells.

Too many choices is a problem, just like no choices.
If you don't like Metro and you don't want to install 3rd party software to kill it, you are out of luck.

All the pointless deviations, from "standard" Linux Distro schema in Ubuntu, have upset a lot of users.
According to some stat sites, Ubuntu lost its #1 position amongst Linux Distros, once they "forced" Unity on long time users.
The new #1 (according to those sites) is Linux Mint.

Because I could not get the ATI video drivers to work on my PC, I replaced Ubuntu 10 with Linux Mint 14 (MATE).
Linux Mint 14 (MATE) ran all of my hardware out of the box.
Best of all, no awful Unity or GNOME 3 GUIs. :)

How much of your usage is being "accidentally" collected by Google, when you use a Chromebook? :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

Maybe. It still seems like a total waste of money to me.
I'm going to state the obvious, but I'd buy that chromebook pixel so I can install Windows 8 on it. What an over the top piece of computing hardware for a web browser...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back