Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?

Ubuntu for tablets revealed with split screen multi-tasking, preview for Nexus slates coming this week

This is very different to what Windows offers, for example, with its separate WP8, RT and Windows 8 versions. In fact, Mark Shuttleworth claims to have "cracked this one in a way that has eluded Microsoft," not least because Ubuntu's approach means that smartphone- and tablet-sized apps can run side-by-side on the same device in split screen mode. For example, you could have the Skype phone app running at the same time as a tablet document editor. This feature will be called "side stage," and judging from the video -- which is all we have to go on at this point -- it looks like a nifty approach to multi-tasking, and perhaps slightly more flexible that Samsung's multi-window solution in TouchWiz.

Ubuntu for tablets revealed with split screen multi-tasking, preview for Nexus slates coming this week

I think there will be interesting times ahead.

I wanted to try Ubuntu a while ago, so I installed it on my Dell. Wi Fi was broken, Ubuntu didn't support the wireless drivers. Fail. I tried my wife's newer, better Dell. Same thing. It looks interesting, but its not made to just work. I'm not going through the painful process of using the terminal to manually fix the OSs shortcomings.

I've tried Ubuntu and Mint, and every version has installed perfectly. They've picked up my network (WiFi and LAN), my network printers etc immediately. The setup and installation has been no more, no less, painful than any version of Windows. I have had no requirement to use the terminal at any time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I wanted to try Ubuntu a while ago, so I installed it on my Dell. Wi Fi was broken, Ubuntu didn't support the wireless drivers. Fail. I tried my wife's newer, better Dell. Same thing. It looks interesting, but its not made to just work. I'm not going through the painful process of using the terminal to manually fix the OSs shortcomings.

I've tried Ubuntu and Mint, and every version has installed perfectly. They've picked up my network (WiFi and LAN), my network printers etc immediately. The setup and installation has been no more, no less, painful than any version of Windows. I have had no requirement to use the terminal at any time.

It is usual for desktops, but not on laptops.
Usually ubuntu doesnt have the drivers built in if you install it on a laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Don't worry, coming from Canonical, it will never get past the vaporware stage. Remember Ubuntu TV? That's right, no one does either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
What's with all this competition and promising stuff coming from all these different directions? Makes me a little nervous. I just bought a Surface RT, really like it, and I want to be King of the Hill for as long as possible without all these threats from other platforms. It's an ego thing................

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built/assembled myself
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Windforce
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Malwarebytes
What's with all this competition and promising stuff coming from all these different directions? Makes me a little nervous. I just bought a Surface RT, really like it, and I want to be King of the Hill for as long as possible without all these threats from other platforms. It's an ego thing................

I feel for you, it's a bit tough coming to a Windows Forum, hoping for some kind of kindred spirit and having all this other stuff going on. I think MS will ride out this media storm, it's just a bit tough at the moment.

if I didn't have so many tablets at the moment I'd have an RT as well, every time I play with one I nearly buy it. I'm still tossing up whether to get the RT or Pro eventually, although I'm not sure when I'll get to see a Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

It is usual for desktops, but not on laptops.
Usually ubuntu doesnt have the drivers built in if you install it on a laptop.

Linux is tough on a Notebook but then so is Windows if you do a clean install, you need to get all the drivers or you're in trouble, but at least you can find the drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS

I feel for you, it's a bit tough coming to a Windows Forum, hoping for some kind of kindred spirit and having all this other stuff going on. I think MS will ride out this media storm, it's just a bit tough at the moment.

if I didn't have so many tablets at the moment I'd have an RT as well, every time I play with one I nearly buy it. I'm still tossing up whether to get the RT or Pro eventually, although I'm not sure when I'll get to see a Pro.

Yeah, such is the nature of tech I guess. We all play the game, but the consensus seems to be that all this competition keeps everyone moving forward, otherwise there'd be no innovation at all. I'm fine with that, and of course it goes without saying that my original comment was to a large degree sarcastic. Part of the fun of all of this is watching how the stuff evolves and gets better.

But yeah, I love my Surface RT -- no regrets, although I think it's funny that the device has already displayed an error message box on two separate occasions while it was trying to shut down and/or reboot. But other than that everything is working fine. I guess all computers crash on occasion, no matter how perfect they try to make 'em.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
But anyway, back to the topic at hand, I think what they showed in that video looks very elegant. Ubuntu has really been looking very pretty lately. (I have it installed on my "smaller" 500 GB hard drive, on my main Windows 8 machine.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus

Yeah, such is the nature of tech I guess. We all play the game, but the consensus seems to be that all this competition keeps everyone moving forward, otherwise there'd be no innovation at all. I'm fine with that, and of course it goes without saying that my original comment was to a large degree sarcastic. Part of the fun of all of this is watching how the stuff evolves and gets better.

But yeah, I love my Surface RT -- no regrets, although I think it's funny that the device has already displayed an error message box on two separate occasions while it was trying to shut down and/or reboot. But other than that everything is working fine. I guess all computers crash on occasion, no matter how perfect they try to make 'em.

Yeah I've even had numerous App crashes on my iPad and a couple of reboots, such is the nature of the beast.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I find it funny how on one hand tech bloggers slam Microsoft for Windows 8, is it for desktop or Tablets? Why a desktop on Surface RT? Same UI across desktop, phone and Tablets, is Microsoft crazy? Now Ubuntu is basically doing the same thing and tech media are giddy over it. Talk about hypocrisy.

As for my view of it, looks interesting and competition is always good it keeps everyone on their toes. Although they've clearly taken ideas from Windows, Android and Apple and slammed them altogether into their UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
I find it funny how on one hand tech bloggers slam Microsoft for Windows 8, is it for desktop or Tablets? Why a desktop on Surface RT? Same UI across desktop, phone and Tablets, is Microsoft crazy? Now Ubuntu is basically doing the same thing and tech media are giddy over it. Talk about hypocrisy.

As for my view of it, looks interesting and competition is always good it keeps everyone on their toes. Although they've clearly taken ideas from Windows, Android and Apple and slammed them altogether into their UI.

I'm not sure if what Canonical has shown is quite the same as what Microsoft is doing, some similarities yes, but this unifying of device OSes has been discussed for some time by all the big players. What Canonical has shown is the Ubuntu mobile phone working in parallel with the Ubuntu desktop ie, combining functions.

Windows 8 is either one or the other (app or desktop) at a time, but not both, and no connectivity in a similar manner to a Windows phone. What Microsoft seems to be doing is making the user interface look the same, but everything will still be separate in function.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
They have been developing it for quite some time - not sure where this idea of copying comes from.

Unity | Unity

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

I'm not sure if what Canonical has shown is quite the same as what Microsoft is doing, some similarities yes, but this unifying of device OSes has been discussed for some time by all the big players. What Canonical has shown is the Ubuntu mobile phone working in parallel with the Ubuntu desktop ie, combining functions.

Windows 8 is either one or the other (app or desktop) at a time, but not both, and no connectivity in a similar manner to a Windows phone. What Microsoft seems to be doing is making the user interface look the same, but everything will still be separate in function.

Which big players have been talking about this for some time Ray.

What do you mean Windows 8 is either one or the other(app or desktop).

And you're saying Microsoft is not trying to bring everything together.

Please explain. (Well known Politician)

My Computer

System One

• OS

Please explain.

Apple for one has been considering this for some time, as has Android (or more to the point, Android device manufacturers). As an Android geek, I thought you would have been aware of this: ASUS - Mobile- ASUS PadFone.

You can't run a desktop program and an app at the same time with Windows 8, nor can you connect you mobile phone to your PC/tablet and operate the phone from that PC/Tablet (like the development concept shown in the Ubuntu video).

Again, you assume to much from what I post and always take it in the most negative way possible. Microsoft is trying to bring things together, but clearly in a different way. The Ubuntu video shows some very good potential.

Please comprehend.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Well, you can place much of that blame on the hardware vendors themselves, who don't provide any driver support. You do realize that hardware doesn't just work in Windows right? The hardware was made for Windows and the drivers were supplied to Microsoft to include in the OS. I would wager a bet that your wireless chip was a broadcom!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

Please explain.

Apple for one has been considering this for some time, as has Android (or more to the point, Android device manufacturers). As an Android geek, I thought you would have been aware of this: ASUS - Mobile- ASUS PadFone.

You can't run a desktop program and an app at the same time with Windows 8, nor can you connect you mobile phone to your PC/tablet and operate the phone from that PC/Tablet (like the development concept shown in the Ubuntu video).

Again, you assume to much from what I post and always take it in the most negative way possible. Microsoft is trying to bring things together, but clearly in a different way. The Ubuntu video shows some very good potential.

Please comprehend.
I comprehend okay. Tim Cook,"You can't combine a Fridge and a Toaster" Guess what he was talking about.

Show me an Android PC.

As far as I'm aware only MS is making an effort to bring all three together.

You can snap a desktop and an App together, and they all seem to get along together in the task bar.

Please comprehend.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I never really got into Ubuntu. I tried it out for a while and explored it top to bottom, it's just meh at best. It's not offering me anything I'm not already getting, and I found that it would be offering me less than Windows simply due to app support.

If Canonical wants to play in the big league of Windows, they need to get that first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I never really got into Ubuntu. I tried it out for a while and explored it top to bottom, it's just meh at best. It's not offering me anything I'm not already getting, and I found that it would be offering me less than Windows simply due to app support.

If Canonical wants to play in the big league of Windows, they need to get that first.

Its not that bad really, I used it for years, but only as an adjunct to Windows. There are some pretty neat Linux variations around, some specially made for entertainment, some for repairs to PC's and others to stick on a small thumb drive like Puppy Linux. I enjoyed playing around with Linux, but they're still not Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back