This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be as simple as adding a startup task in the task manager to launch the "Desktop App" after a short delay? So you'd see the metro start for a second the on the desktop would come up after login.

Might try this out if I can remember when I get home...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Could it be as simple as adding a startup task in the task manager to launch the "Desktop App" after a short delay? So you'd see the metro start for a second the on the desktop would come up after login.

Might try this out if I can remember when I get home...

That is supposed to work.
I haven't tried it myself though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I did that with the previous build.

It saves clicking the desktop icon on start screen .

It doesn't help much tho - you still get the start screen coming up first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Always! That's an integration into the start up processes and won't be easy to cut out! It's incorporated into the main shell.

The one reg value I found points at secondary buttons on the Start screen. Those are the ones past the divider bar you first see after all the preloaded buttons at the left side of the screen there. The divider bar appears for a second when moving the cursor across from the first to second group.

For the Start screen by itself there would seem to be some type of batch file that loads along the explorer.exe process. It's like having the folder options>view tab set to restore windows upon login when going to restart while having a few WE windows open and once rebooted find them open the way they were. But the Start screen is a bit more complex.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
it takes a little getting used to and not all features are bad but whether I will buy it is an entirely differen matter

My Computer

System One

• OS
    wind0ws 7, 8
    CUSTOM BUILD
    CPU
    intel core i3 2100 @ 3.10 GHz
    Motherboard
    intel DH61_WW
    Memory
    4 GB 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 440
At this point it's simply a toss in the air as to whether or not I dual boot with it or simply let it pass by like many have already decided on. I'm certainly not any rush to replace 7 any decade soon! :D
"Sorry MS! Maybe in the year 2050 or so! At least 2020 just like my vision of what Windows should be like!" :roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
[h=1]5 things Microsoft doesn't want you to know[/h]
...Windows 7 is a solid, compelling upgrade over Windows XP.
Windows XP support and security updates are drying up very soon. Many enterprises, knowing where they are in the Microsoft published support lifecycle, have Windows 7 hardware and software refresh programs underway. Having skipped Vista, these companies are standardizing on Windows 7, and they won't be in the market for another desktop upgrade for at least three to four years. ( Going from Windows XP to Windows 8 is not recommended.) Furthermore, few companies will consider hybrid deployments of Windows 7 and Windows 8, since that's a support nightmare. In short, enterprises will probably pass on Windows 8.
There's very little compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7.

...you can't help but think that Microsoft faces myriad problems, ranging from too many cooks in the soup to driving individuality in the face of corporate control to simply lacking a grand plan other than "the cloud." Only time will tell if these problems can be solved-but the tea leaves are there for you to read.

Full article at:

5 things Microsoft doesn't want you to know | Cloud Computing - InfoWorld

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
"The proof is in the pudding!" as the expression goes! Corporate interests are generally the last to upgrade from the get go! That means retooling all their office workers with new systems and of course a new OS "at their cost"! That;s the bottom dollar on that one!

Once the 7 beta and RC builds were out I knew right then MS would likely have a hard sell for the next version since they were intent on getting back to their 2-3yrs. time table for each new major release. Then you run into what? A stripped down Windows with a mobile gui tossed on top! Not a great prospect!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
I can understand Microsoft moving to a core system platform that can be utilized on a number of different devices from tablets to desktops. But to force the same kind of UI across all of them? That's absurd. Each device has different ways in which they are used. The desktop is focused on keyboard and wireless mouse. The laptop is keyboard plus touch pad. And the tablet is touch-screen.

Microsoft is trying for a rather radical change in the UI paradigm here, without providing any assistance for transition. In Vista, you were given a changed UI but with a "Classic" view that mimics the flow and format of XP. That worked very well for a lot of people. The Vista menu would be fine for your average user and the Classic menu for more technical users. This new UI is going to be problematic for a lot of people. They really need to provide a start menu for those people that aren't quite ready to make the transition to the Metro UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON
I think a lot of the discussion has been about a LOT of hypotheticals, which is good. But looking at Windows 8, I think it's about targeting the consumer demographic than JUST businesses. Microsoft has told enterprises on their way to Windows 7 to continue those mitigations, while Windows 8 will be focused a lot more on what the new technology consumer wants. Some of those things happen to be entertainment, which Windows 8 has been optimized and has some integration for. But this isn't to say Windows 8 is just all that, which it's not. It can do everything 7 can do.

My bet is that we'll have an xp-vista situation, where enterprises stuck to xp while the consumer group was exposed to vista. vista was a bit dangled in front of the gamer crowd with DirectX 10 in fact.

But the situation will be a 7-8 one, where businesses will stick with 7 while the consumer crowd will be exposed to 8. Unlike vista, I bet it will do real well since it has better support for touch while support mouse and keyboard. 8 will have Xbox integration built in, which is Microsoft's most popular consumer product, and is something familiar but something different.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Guess again! It can't do "everything" 7 can do! wrong! With every new version of Windows there's always something you start losing!

First off if 8 is to be some much more media focused why are they stripping out Media Center and dvd playback out of WMP? They are cutting things included in Windows out in order to "sell them" separately! The MC is the first example right off on that.

As far as the consumer market MS is looking at portable only with 8! Tablet PC works for Tablet PC not your desktop. With Vista that was go between from XP to 7 where you saw the Aero themes and sidebar introduced still offering the Classic theme as cytherian pointed out. 7 won't be the go between Vista and 8 however! 8 is in a totally different ball park to begin as far as the gui.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Guess again! It can't do "everything" 7 can do! wrong! With every new version of Windows there's always something you start losing!

First off if 8 is to be some much more media focused why are they stripping out Media Center and dvd playback out of WMP? They are cutting things included in Windows out in order to "sell them" separately! The MC is the first example right off on that.

As far as the consumer market MS is looking at portable only with 8! Tablet PC works for Tablet PC not your desktop. With Vista that was go between from XP to 7 where you saw the Aero themes and sidebar introduced still offering the Classic theme as cytherian pointed out. 7 won't be the go between Vista and 8 however! 8 is in a totally different ball park to begin as far as the gui.

If DVD playback is so important, than why do ultrabooks and slates and tablets not have then even though they could? It makes better sense to put that in a version of Windows for people that DO use it versus people that don't. It makes business sense to do so since it COSTS Microsoft to license that feature that isn't used. Speaking of not being used, Media Center has been found to be only used by a few percentage points of Windows 7 users. Again, a feature that could die off, or be morphed out by something else, so it makes better business sense to have that FEATURE in a version of Windows that has MORE features for people that need to use them versus a vast majority of users that don't.

There comes a time where media usage changes, from analog to digital. Many people these days stream digital content, which is what 8 is built better for.

It's not just the portables that 8 is focused on, but touch in general. Touch is a feature that has become commonplace in many devices people use, but not the Windows PC.

8 is definitely different GUI wise, but so is the comparison of 7 and xp, 8 is just more extreme.

By the way, what's something that any version of Windows 8 can't do that 7 can? Just out of curiosity...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
For a start a lot gamers won't be happy to find out that their older DX9 titles that require DX 9 elements won't run on 8! At least with 7 despite DX 11 you could still install 9 along with it and the old stuff will run. Then of course 8 being a newer not so compatible as the 7 from Vista move is not able to run many other things that run on 7 without some newer version coming out.

The change from XP to Vista was also a leap while Vista and 7 stayed much closer compatibility wise. There are a number of things if you look close enough that run on Vista and generally will work on 7 but not 8! But this is also the expected outlook when going from any version to one newer.

As far as Tablet PC no one would expect any optical there or with a netbook. Plus Tablet PC has always been a totally "separate" edition from what goes on any laptop or desktop to begin with. Why would anyone want Tablet PC gui on a desktop pc when they would expect a newer desktop OS to have a desktop gui to begin with?

As for the Media Center that was one thing added into on the 2005 XP MC edition and simply carried on with Vista and 7. WMP on the other hand has been around since 95! WMP 10 finally saw additional codecs included rather then the need to go and buy separate codecs online. Now MS is eliminating the ability for playback entirely? not just removing codecs!

That's another "why?" to add to the list which will make many wonder why bother?! Most will simply look at 8 and think MS is "off in the clouds somewhere" not paying attention to the desktop user!

Generally whenever MS make a major change in the OS it usually takes a few versions to get things worked out. That was seen with 3.1 to 95. 98SE however was the Legacy winner! Likewise following the leap from XP to Vista 7 topped all! And we now wait for 9? 10? 11? to fill in the void between 7 and...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Hi,

As far as the consumer market MS is looking at portable only with 8!
Tablet PC works for Tablet PC not your desktop. With Vista that was go between from XP to 7 where you saw the Aero themes and sidebar introduced still offering the Classic theme as cytherian pointed out. 7 won't be the go between Vista and 8 however! 8 is in a totally different ball park to begin as far as the gui.

If DVD playback is so important, than why do ultrabooks and slates and tablets not have then even though they could? It makes better sense to put that in a version of Windows for people that DO use it versus people that don't. It makes business sense to do so since it COSTS Microsoft to license that feature that isn't used. Speaking of not being used, Media Center has been found to be only used by a few percentage points of Windows 7 users. Again, a feature that could die off, or be morphed out by something else, so it makes better business sense to have that FEATURE in a version of Windows that has MORE features for people that need to use them versus a vast majority of users that don't.

There comes a time where media usage changes, from analog to digital. Many people these days stream digital content, which is what 8 is built better for.

It's not just the portables that 8 is focused on, but touch in general. Touch is a feature that has become commonplace in many devices people use, but not the Windows PC.

8 is definitely different GUI wise, but so is the comparison of 7 and xp, 8 is just more extreme.

By the way, what's something that any version of Windows 8 can't do that 7 can? Just out of curiosity...

So are you saying we all should not have installed it on our desktop machines?

Re Mediacenter, you could be right but then that's probably true for quite a few things that came and went with various iterations of Windows. My guess is that it wasn't used much because there was better stuff out there. Probably for free as well.
Strange though how MS has put a lot of effort into the server end of mediacenter to now find themselves without (their own) client ends to actually do something with it.....

All in all, if W8 is targeted at the tablet etc. stuff then why is it masquerading as the successor of W7?

Mind you, I wouldn't mind having a desktop version of W8. It seems to do some things right......:sarc:

Cheers, ;)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W2K8S R2 STD, W7 ULTIMATE X64
    DELL OPTIPLEX 745
    CPU
    INTEL Q6600
    Motherboard
    DELL
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL INTEGRATED CHIPSET Q965
I have the sneaky suspicion MS is holding off on just what will be seen once 8 is launched later this year. Of course with not only better free media players available they were also looking at things like Classic Shell and Start Menu 7 being available as well for any major gui change like this one.

The Tablet editions of Windows have always been totally separate from the desktop OS in every other version. The smart move for MS would be to keep it that way by retaining at least the option for a standard gui present once 8 is out in retail form.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
[h=1]5 things Microsoft doesn't want you to know[/h]
...Windows 7 is a solid, compelling upgrade over Windows XP.
Windows XP support and security updates are drying up very soon. Many enterprises, knowing where they are in the Microsoft published support lifecycle, have Windows 7 hardware and software refresh programs underway. Having skipped Vista, these companies are standardizing on Windows 7, and they won't be in the market for another desktop upgrade for at least three to four years. ( Going from Windows XP to Windows 8 is not recommended.) Furthermore, few companies will consider hybrid deployments of Windows 7 and Windows 8, since that's a support nightmare. In short, enterprises will probably pass on Windows 8.
There's very little compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7.

...you can't help but think that Microsoft faces myriad problems, ranging from too many cooks in the soup to driving individuality in the face of corporate control to simply lacking a grand plan other than "the cloud." Only time will tell if these problems can be solved-but the tea leaves are there for you to read.

Full article at:

5 things Microsoft doesn't want you to know | Cloud Computing - InfoWorld

FYI:

I have been upgrading companies of all sizes since the end of 2011 and now in 2012. All the corporate accounts I am working are going from Windows XP to Windows 7. There are NO plans to upgrade to Windows 8 by any of these companies. I have met with all CIO's and VP's and all agree that the price is too high, the learning curve is too high and Windows 7 is meeting their needs. All are looking at getting 7 to 10 years of life out of Windows 7 as they did with Windows XP. Even when the tablets have come up in meetings no one wants a Windows 8 tablet because the iPads or Androids are working perfectly. In many cases we have also replaced the iPads because the Androids are so much cheaper and upgrade better. The apps are better and can be tweaked quickly and easily. So most of these upgrades are Windows XP to Windows 7 and iPads and others to Androids. -WS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Enterprise (x64), Windows 8 Enterprise (x64), Windows Server 2012
    Memory
    32GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    4 Dell 24'
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    RAID 6 (8 x 2TB)
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100meg
Hi there
the company I'm currently on assignment with is just upgrading as well to W7 -- no plans whatsoever to go to W8 -- some older PC's here are even still running W2000 although most are on XP.

All desktops will be gone shortly --everybody whether internal or external is given a company laptop (quite a decent one too --WITH SSD's !!) and the whole network is Wireless based -- forget hideous kilometres of cable etc. The wireless response seems more than adequate as well.

The company is quite happy also for Ipads / tablets to be connected -- although apart from the connection users are expected to "find their own support" with one exception -- they will help with getting email accounts to work on tablets / smart phones.

It seems inconceviable for me to understand why Ms is bothering with an Enterprise version of W8 -- from what is taking place here and in countless other businesses W8 will never be seen inside them. I believe even MS itself is telling companies -- forget about W8 just upgrade to W7.

If these companies get say an expected 5 - 7 years use out of W7 then something later will have appeared by then much more suited to a workplace -=- Windows 9 (or even 10 maybe).

I believe there was a post somewhere calling Windows 7 the New XP -- seems a sensible remark.

And BTW "Desktop" computing is NOT declining -- NEVER EVER believe what Gartner's say. "Desktops" themselves might be diminishing -- niche product for DIY hobbyists, extreme gamers, etc but laptops are continuing in popularity. People still like tablets / Ipads but a lot realize that you STILL need a "proper" computer to perform typical office like tasks or even to watch movies you've saved to an external device.

When I'm travelling a small ACER aspire 1 netbook with an SSD and 4 GB RAM supplies all I need -- EXCEL / OFFICE, Multi-media etc with the ability to connect to a small USB device.

With a 32 GB micro SDHC card in my phone it's a perfect combination. Load a couple of ISO's from the micro sd card in the phone to play DVD's on the laptop (I don't really like watching video on phones -- even an Iphone screen is too small to comfortably watch a full length movie -- it's OK for a few seconds of video from You Tube or whatever) and I don't even need toi carry an external HDD any more -- although they are so small that a 1TB drive is always useful.

A Tablet to me seems a 100% waste of money if you already have a smart phone and a small laptop.

I can't really use an e-reader either so I find using an audio book much better (can store zillions of these on a phone as well). So another possible tablet application is of no use to me and products like Kindle are just going to pass me by I'm afraid. I still like "printed" material but am very happy with Audio books too -- there's a HUGE selection of these too.

(The ONLY app I've ever paid for on a phone is WINAMP PRO -- cost 2.75 EUR -- allows me to play music from FOLDERS and also plays FLAC so in combination with a decent set of Bose Cans -- great quality -- excellent on a long flight and "Baby/ Kid Proof" too --shuts out the external sound !!. I play all my audio books from the phone --simply copy the file(s) from a computer - usb drive to a directory on the micro sdhc card --no need for tagging --arranging by albums etc etc. The 2.75 EUR was worth EVERY Cent -- since most phone music apps are generally useless -- and this plays FLAC as well -- I like a lot of classical music too -- doesn't sound great in compressed mp3 format).

I don't actually mind W8 on MY OWN laptop customized with the Power shell start menu etc and removed 99% of tyhe metro tiles.

Lacking the Language interface Icelandic on W8 -- W7 is fine !!. Probably will stay with W7 although the speed and cleanliness of W8 apart from the Metro junk is appealing.

I quite like the start up picture before you get the logon screen too.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Okay, I just HAD to register, so much misinformation in a single post.

For a start a lot gamers won't be happy to find out that their older DX9 titles that require DX 9 elements won't run on 8! At least with 7 despite DX 11 you could still install 9 along with it and the old stuff will run. Then of course 8 being a newer not so compatible as the 7 from Vista move is not able to run many other things that run on 7 without some newer version coming out.

The change from XP to Vista was also a leap while Vista and 7 stayed much closer compatibility wise. There are a number of things if you look close enough that run on Vista and generally will work on 7 but not 8! But this is also the expected outlook when going from any version to one newer.

As far as Tablet PC no one would expect any optical there or with a netbook. Plus Tablet PC has always been a totally "separate" edition from what goes on any laptop or desktop to begin with. Why would anyone want Tablet PC gui on a desktop pc when they would expect a newer desktop OS to have a desktop gui to begin with?

As for the Media Center that was one thing added into on the 2005 XP MC edition and simply carried on with Vista and 7. WMP on the other hand has been around since 95! WMP 10 finally saw additional codecs included rather then the need to go and buy separate codecs online. Now MS is eliminating the ability for playback entirely? not just removing codecs!

That's another "why?" to add to the list which will make many wonder why bother?! Most will simply look at 8 and think MS is "off in the clouds somewhere" not paying attention to the desktop user!

Generally whenever MS make a major change in the OS it usually takes a few versions to get things worked out. That was seen with 3.1 to 95. 98SE however was the Legacy winner! Likewise following the leap from XP to Vista 7 topped all! And we now wait for 9? 10? 11? to fill in the void between 7 and...

Did you actually TRY Windows 8? Cause it doesn't seem like it.

DirectX 9. Where did you hear that DX9 (or older) games wouldn't work? Cause mine all work fine. In fact, games like Diablo 1/2 and Starcraft work fine without any work arounds that were needed in Vista/7.

Compatibility, both with software and drivers. Haven't read of any significant issue with any software, save for a bug in Skype. Drivers? If they work on Vista/7, they'll work on 8. My old B/G wireless card works fine with the drivers that came on the CD. Had no issue installing W7 drivers for my older system, either.

Both Nvidia and AMD have been supporting CP and RP with beta drivers and there's very few issues so far, save for one specific game I've heard of (Max Payne 3).

Tablet UI? Eh? Click on the desktop tile and you've got your regular ol' Windows desktop. The start screen takes up the entire screen, yeah, but when you go in your start menu, you can't do anything else ANYWAY.
Do you just sit there with your start menu open while looking at a Youtube video or whatever? I doubt it.
Pin your most used apps on the taskbar and pin the rest on the start screen and that's it.
You're not required to use Metro Apps. It's not the most elegant way of doing things, but it works.

Media Center... Eh, never seen anyone use it, most people just download VLC anyways. And WMP is staying, unless you're talking about Windows RT, which is for ARM based tablets, in which case they have the Music and Video apps to fill the void.

Oh and btw, paying for codecs? Really? Who does that. There's plenty of ways to watch any and every video file imagineable. VLC and MPC-HC being very easy ways to go about it.

And I wouldn't call Windows 8 a major change. The only real difference is the start screen, which works more or less the same way as the start menu, except it's fullscreen and you can have pretty tiles that show random info like new mails, weather, news and stuff.
There's lots of behind the scenes improvements, but they're hardly a major change, either. At least IMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    CPU
    Motherboard
    P8P67-M Pro
    Memory
    Mushkin Blackline 2x4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX HD4890
Hi there
not sure who you are referring to here but Nighthawks's posts are usually pretty accurate and mine -- hopefully too.

Running a dsktop OS where you NEED to do "Office" like applications is a TOTALLY different ballgame to the casual user just wanting to surf the net / play around witn facebook etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I do not understand why the desktop tile is such a problem.
This is the 8 forum, I guess.
(all apps can be removed from start page)

Clicking the desktop tile (less than 1 second) and the office desktop is there.
Pressing the Winkey or mouse gesture to bottom left to launch something ...

Is this a difficult task?

p.s. I am not trying to convince.
Simply do not understand where the difficulty is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4