Things are looking up for Microsoft Success!!!

Sorry naysayers, but the doom and gloom might be coming to an end.

Remember, this is an $899-$999 tablet (though I prefer to describe it as a full-blown Windows PC compacted and stuffed into a tablet's chassis), not a $199 Nexus 7 or $329 iPad Mini.Also remember this is just the start. The Pro should evolve to the point where you can have a 1.5 or 2 pound tablet with all-day (at least) battery life -- and still get all of the performance of a mainstream Windows 8 laptop.
And that's the deal-closer for me. It's fast. Don't believe me? Check out these benchmarks.
"Surface Pro is easily the fastest tablet on the market today," Anandtech said.
The basic point being that Intel's Ivy Bridge silicon crushes Apple's A6X-based iPad and ARM-based Android tablets in most benchmarks.
And it's not just numbers -- you feel it. Everything pops and there's almost none of the lag you invariably run into with other tablets.
Related stories
Microsoft Surface Pro sales hit 400K in a hurry
I know this because I've been using the Pro and its speed is addictive -- despite the comparative heft and shorter battery life compared with other tablets (though I wouldn't call 2 pounds "heavy" and battery life isn't as bad as reviewers make it out to be if you tweak Windows 8 settings).

More at the source

Microsoft's first PC lives! | Microsoft - CNET News

Bill, what do you mean by a walled garden? Is it is too small screen size? Or the icons on the screen for menu?

A walled garden is a way of completely segregating an app from the rest of the system. Within its garden(restrictions), it can do anything. Outside it, nothing. So the system can't mess with it, and the app can't mess with the system. If it wants to access say your webcam or your internet, it has to explicitly request it as part of the app download process. It also makes it very easy to uninstall, as the opsys simply blows up(deletes) its garden.

A good analogy is its in a room in a hotel on your system. If you want to get rid of it, you just clean out its room.

A traditional application actually takes up residence in your house and moves stuff around and has full access. Its also harder to remove as only it knows all the things its added to your system.. so its responsible for cleaning up after itself when you call its uninstaller and tell it to leave.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Thanks Bill & chrisa re: walled garden. ♪ ♫ I love Windows ♪ ♫

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Bill, what do you mean by a walled garden? Is it is too small screen size? Or the icons on the screen for menu?

A walled garden is a way of completely segregating an app from the rest of the system. Within its garden(restrictions), it can do anything. Outside it, nothing. So the system can't mess with it, and the app can't mess with the system. If it wants to access say your webcam or your internet, it has to explicitly request it as part of the app download process. It also makes it very easy to uninstall, as the opsys simply blows up(deletes) its garden.

A good analogy is its in a room in a hotel on your system. If you want to get rid of it, you just clean out its room.

A traditional application actually takes up residence in your house and moves stuff around and has full access. Its also harder to remove as only it knows all the things its added to your system.. so its responsible for cleaning up after itself when you call its uninstaller and tell it to leave.

What you have described is a sand box. A walled garden is M$ will not allow any other APPs other than what they have approved to be installed on your system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
A walled garden is M$ will not allow any other APPs other than what they have approved to be installed on your system.

Yes, exactly. It is all for your own good, of course. :sarc:

It will get worse - less user control, more surveillance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
A walled garden is M$ will not allow any other APPs other than what they have approved to be installed on your system.

Yes, exactly. It is all for your own good, of course. :sarc:

It will get worse - less user control, more surveillance.

Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I suppose there is an appeal in living in a child like fantasy. It avoids dealing with the real world.

Not sure I would like to be permanently in that state, though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

What you have described is a sand box. A walled garden is M$ will not allow any other APPs other than what they have approved to be installed on your system.

The choice to only allow approved apps to use the walled garden is a corporate one(they also take a 30% cut of any sales and 20% if you sell over $25K). If Microsoft wanted to, they could open it up. The Walled Garden itself is put there more for security reasons and ease of uninstall. Right now, there is no app system on the market(even Android) that isn't open to where anybody can make any app they want. Google probably gives the most leeway, but put any app on the system they really don't like, and watch how long it lasts.

Either way, Windows developers aren't 'over a barrel' in the same way as say.. Apple iOS users. Windows developers can continue to make and distribute normal applications as they always have. What this will lead to is a full-blown application being released, along with access to tiny 'free' apps that extend specific functionality to the mobile enviornment(and work as a marketing tool to sell the actual product), at no cost. Microsoft can take their 30% cut of nothing, and the Windows developers will continue to receive 100% of sales through their websites.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The choice to only allow approved apps to use the walled garden is a corporate one(they also take a 30% cut of any sales and 20% if you sell over $25K). If Microsoft wanted to, they could open it up. The Walled Garden itself is put there more for security reasons and ease of uninstall. Right now, there is no app system on the market(even Android) that isn't open to where anybody can make any app they want. Google probably gives the most leeway, but put any app on the system they really don't like, and watch how long it lasts.

Either way, Windows developers aren't 'over a barrel' in the same way as say.. Apple iOS users. Windows developers can continue to make and distribute normal applications as they always have. What this will lead to is a full-blown application being released, along with access to tiny 'free' apps that extend specific functionality to the mobile enviornment(and work as a marketing tool to sell the actual product), at no cost. Microsoft can take their 30% cut of nothing, and the Windows developers will continue to receive 100% of sales through their websites.

That is until M$ tightens the screw like they tried to do with Office.
Of course iPhone has jail break that they are always trying to plug and some one is always jail breaking it again why is that if the walled garden is good for you?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info

That is until M$ tightens the screw like they tried to do with Office.
Of course iPhone has jail break that they are always trying to plug and some one is always jail breaking it again why is that if the walled garden is good for you?

Doesn't work that way, fortunately :>.

Apps are one thing. Preventing full-blown Applications from being sold on the open market, so you can take a cut is another. Its like the difference between a short story or poem and a full-blown novel. For small stuff, the cut can be justified since you aren't really writing that much and can use them to get your work seen. For the large stuff, no. They would get beaten down hard by both the private sector and governmental bodies.. not to mention the mere suggestion of it would single-handedly spur a third-party open-source solution to fruition as the one great unknown when diving into the PC arena is whether or not you'll get the developers to come along with you. Trying to impose 'a take' on companies simply to sell their large development products?

Yes, that would do it.

In short, Microsoft is not that stupid. They know where their bread is buttered, and they're pretty much the only game in town atm for full-blown applications whose functionality simply can't be internetted or mobiled.

And honestly, I think a primary reason Apple has left their PC lines out to rot is for exactly this reason. They don't get a cut.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I suppose there is an appeal in living in a child like fantasy. It avoids dealing with the real world.

Not sure I would like to be permanently in that state, though.

Exactly my point. So when do you think you'll pull yourself out of it? When MS gives you your way? When you get over the fear that MS is out to steal your money or forcing you to do anything? When, pray tell us?

You continue to have choices. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Oh dear. It is worse than I thought.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
In short, Microsoft is not that stupid. They know where their bread is buttered, and they're pretty much the only game in town atm for full-blown applications whose functionality simply can't be internetted or mobiled.

And honestly, I think a primary reason Apple has left their PC lines out to rot is for exactly this reason. They don't get a cut.

Then why is M$ alienating at least 80% of there user base with Metro the very people who should be buying there mobile market.

Apple knows not to mess with there PC people they are the people that will promote there mobile stuff.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info

Then why is M$ alienating at least 80% of there user base with Metro the very people who should be buying there mobile market.

Apple knows not to mess with there PC people they are the people that will promote there mobile stuff.
What are you talking about, Apple isn't looking after their Mac people, it's hardly got any, and most of them are pist with Apple for not looking after them. It's only worried about the mobile market, you should check things out a bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

Ahh.. fanciful figures. I like that game!... But you don't understand.. 69% of the Apple base feel they're being screwed by Windows usurping their touchscreen empire.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Are you it's 69% ? LOL.

Bill,

I still haven't figured your posting method out - is it that you pick a letter at random from a previous post, then jumble up a lot of words/unconnected sentences on pieces of paper, pull them out blindfold, assemble them with that letter in special place - then post up the result?

I think David Bowie experimented with writing songs a bit like that at one stage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Are you it's 69% ? LOL.

Bill,

I still haven't figured your posting method out - is it that you pick a letter at random from a previous post, then jumble up a lot of words/unconnected sentences on pieces of paper, pull them out blindfold, assemble them with that letter in special place - then post up the result?

I think David Bowie experimented with writing songs a bit like that at one stage.
You mean like,

Ground Control to Major Tom

Take your Protein Pills and put your Helmet On

I'm floating in a tin can

Who's David Bowie.

I can understand your confusion, it's the same confusion you're having with Windows 8, it happens to 90% of the population I believe.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
I would think more than 90% would find your posts not confusing, but unintelligible/irrelevant.

They can be funny, though.

Are you it's 69% ? LOL.

Bill,

You mean like,

Ground Control to Major Tom

Take your Protein Pills and put your Helmet On

I'm floating in a tin can

Who's David Bowie.

I can understand your confusion, it's the same confusion you're having with Windows 8, it happens to 90% of the population I believe.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Im my attempt to stay in touch with the real world, I read thru the user ( Newegg customer) comments most of the afternoon. You should do that once. It is really interesting - there are over 100 pages. Here is the link.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back