Surface trampled at the bottom of the tablet pile

Microsoft Surface trampled at the bottom of the tablet pile this Christmas

While it does have drawbacks just like anything else, Microsoft’s (MSFT) Surface is a great slate for those looking for a fresh new take on the modern tablet. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like very many people were looking for a fresh new take on the modern tablet this holiday season.

Source

A Guy

It's funny how people that have never seriously used or own a Surface RT can judge how terrible it is or how it doesn't stack up to an iPad, or the apparent confusion with the RT name. I'm on a couple of Surface forums and there are plenty of Surface owners that have replaced their iPads and Androids, I haven't seen any threads on how confusing things are with RT. The problem is poor marketing, rather than running around clicking the keyboard and dancing around they should be showing what you can do with the Surface or Windows RT in general.

Ahh, the marketing is in question I find. I personally would had done what they did, they needed a grand spectacle of an entrance to announce. What better than people dancing and clicking? The next one I would also do is something more....youthful/psychedelic/up in your face. Which happens to be what the second Surface commercial is. But the two also give some mention to Office and SkyDrive, but not the focus. It's more around the click sound of the keyboard and the tablet itself, although I don't get why they'd sell it without a keyboard...

The next Surface commercial I would do, after spending time introducing it and making it look flashy, is to now show what you can realistically do with. With the RT, that's limited. But seeing as the third commercial will be the month the Surface Pro is released, that's when the capabilities need to be shown off. Meaning, Office is on display, the Desktop, the stylus aspect, and maybe even through in using itunes and connecting an ipad to show off the irony of it all! :D

My point is, the marketing won't be stellar hopefully until January with the Surface Pro and on. The Pro right now is the preferred model if you're looking for a tablet PC that does all the above, not the RT. Maybe a few years in the future, it might be the RT, but who knows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Marketing is everything. You gotta make people last after it. The surface has not achieved traction in this area. It's practically non existent.

Neither did the ipad. How quick we are to forget and dismiss history...

Remember the initial launch of it? Giant ipod touch? Maxipad? "The ipad is nice, but doesn't really fit in into our already tech filled lives?" Quote from NBC News about, for some reason I remember that distinctly. No one thought the ipad was worth it when a netbook for 200 dollars less can do FAR more than an ipod.

The same applies to the Surface, except it's not been skewed as giant Windows Phone or Zune, or a as a feminine hygiene product.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The iPad has somehow (don't ask me how) acquired this "mystic" quality with people. They are like that about many Apple products. MS is late to the game on top of that. I think they'd love to grab a big part of that market, but would probably be happy to get 10% or better. that's money they aren't getting now. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
My point is, the marketing won't be stellar hopefully until January with the Surface Pro and on. The Pro right now is the preferred model if you're looking for a tablet PC that does all the above, not the RT. Maybe a few years in the future, it might be the RT, but who knows?

My point is better to have a RT than no one at all. Witch one you have Coke ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

My point is better to have a RT than no one at all. Witch one you have Coke ?

Neither, yet. I don't know for sure if I will buy a Surface Pro this year or early next year. As of 2013, I don't really see an genuine need for one as I have a Windows Phone. I will need one however when I go back to university, that's where the need comes from. As for 2013, I'm more or less focused on my desktop PC rebuild for Windows 8, an Xbox, and abundant unlimited power and storage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The iPad sold very well right at the start. I don't ever remember that selling as slowly as the Surface.

I cannot believe this slow sales approach was the plan. If they wait much longer everybody will already have a tablet and nobody will have a need for one.

Heck, even Cokie, our midst ardent supporter doesn't even have one and isn't sure he is going to get one next year.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
The iPad sold very well right at the start. I don't ever remember that selling as slowly as the Surface.

I cannot believe this slow sales approach was the plan. If they wait much longer everybody will already have a tablet and nobody will have a need for one.

Heck, even Cokie, our midst ardent supporter doesn't even have one and isn't sure he is going to get one next year.

The ipad sold about a million in its initial launch, we don't know the numbers yet of Surface sales, and we don't know if they're selling slowly enough.

I remember Microsoft's plan was not to get into retailers like best buy in order to not step on their OEM's PC offerings, that changed pretty quickly. They never said they were going to build a tablet PC, they did and have been working on one for years in secret. The assumption was that the Surface tablets were more or less motivators or a design to use for Windows 8 PCs, it's now a dedicated branch of Microsoft like their mice and Xboxes.

I just don't understand how difficult it is to comprehend the fact that I don't have one? What's unusual about that? I like it, I support it, doesn't mean I'm camping out in lines to buy one. I'm not an apple fanboy that does, I can live with what I got and will buy one when the need arises. What I find foolish and unusual is how some will go buy one just because they want to buy one. I don't get that, when you already have a PC and smartphone, why buy a tablet PC along with that? Or why have so many different devices to take advantage of very few things from them? That's what I find odd...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I just don't understand how difficult it is to comprehend the fact that I don't have one? What's unusual about that? I like it, I support it, doesn't mean I'm camping out in lines to buy one.
it just seems like a bunch of talk to me. People who rave about something, belittle the competition, argue that it's a no brainer...but then don't actually own one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I just don't understand how difficult it is to comprehend the fact that I don't have one? What's unusual about that? I like it, I support it, doesn't mean I'm camping out in lines to buy one.
it just seems like a bunch of talk to me. People who rave about something, belittle the competition, argue that it's a no brainer...but then don't actually own one.

Well, I have used touch PCs already, experienced all they have to offer. I've physically toyed around with a Surface RT tablet. I've researched and followed developments about the Surface tablets. I've also tried out the ipads and android knockoff tablets, my conclusion is that it is correct to belittle the competition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Well, I have used touch PCs already, experienced all they have to offer. I've physically toyed around with a Surface RT tablet. I've researched and followed developments about the Surface tablets. I've also tried out the ipads and android knockoff tablets, my conclusion is that it is correct to belittle the competition.

Yeah, but when it comes down to plunking your own money you sit there with nothing. Doesn't seem like a raving endorsement to me. It's like people who say Open Office.sucks, but they don't pay for MS Office but rather pirate it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

Yeah, but when it comes down to plunking your own money you sit there with nothing. Doesn't seem like a raving endorsement to me. It's like people who say Open Office.sucks, but they don't pay for MS Office but rather pirate it.
Interesting, then it seems that people that only tried out a Windows Phone from doing the Windows Phone Challenge (some marketing thing) and say it's better than their iphone or android, their endorsements aren't potent?

And I pay for my Office, as long as my local university offers a discount, I buy it. open office sucks. And google docs too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
And I pay for my Office, as long as my local university offers a discount, I buy it. open office sucks. And google docs too.

Am glad to hear that you paid for Office. Most people don't.

I disagree on Open Office, I have used it successfully for years on home machines to save MS licensing costs. It's met my basic needs.

Google docs is also good for those basic tasks and it's online collaboration ability. Plus nothing to install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

I disagree on Open Office, I have used it successfully for years on home machines to save MS licensing costs. It's met my basic needs.

Google docs is also good for those basic tasks and it's online collaboration ability. Plus nothing to install.

Office Web Apps are great at that and better, and don't have to deal with .doc or .docx formatting issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Office Web Apps are great at that and better, and don't have to deal with .doc or .docx formatting issues.

Yes, but late to party after people started using alternatives.

We don't use Google apps for a lot, but I have a domain registered with Google, have emails for all family members, a shared calendar we all use, and a control panel where I can easily set up restrictions and allow features. And it's all for $10 a year. Very reasonable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
thing are changing Coke, all the school here are using Libre Office. So the students are getting use to it. Of course you probably try it 5 minutes and conclude it sucks, it work very well and it's free. It's so intelligent that I start to type a sentence in French and I do the second one in English and the corrector catch the difference and adjust right away. Google Doc is very useful if you want to translate a document right away, instead of bash everything not coming from Microsoft, why you don't try them ? It's funny your signature " think outside the box " you should apply it to you also. I may not always say good thing about MS, but even today I purchase a Surface, you have not even purchase your Windows 8 ... we know you wait to build this dream PC. We are like that here in Canada, we don't vote for the best one, they are no best one, we vote for the less worst.

So next week hopefully I will receive my Surface, and count on my to say what I don't like, cause I'm sure it's not perfect.

Speaking of correction, I use Google, and it make a pretty good job, you should see all the red line when I type in this forum. I have not check IE since a will, did IE have correction now ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

Yes, but late to party after people started using alternatives.

We don't use Google apps for a lot, but I have a domain registered with Google, have emails for all family members, a shared calendar we all use, and a control panel where I can easily set up restrictions and allow features. And it's all for $10 a year. Very reasonable.
When has Microsoft never been fashionably late to the party? What usually happens five years on? Generally clear success or indirect success. The Xbox was WAY late, but is the top console of choice. Windows was late after the mac in 1985, five years later become more used, five years further with 95 it cemented itself as the top used OS for years and years and years to this day. Office was late to the game competing against an industry standard, and is the standard today. Zune was late to the game, but with crappy support behind it and little effort as well against a cemented societal standard of digital music. Bing is way late to the game, but that's iffy if it's doing well. Arguably not, but arguably something to be seen in two years. Windows Phone technically was late to the game, but they already had Windows Mobile before android and ios competing against the Blackberry. Except unlike RIM's case, they rebuilt an enterprise geared product better for consumers, then again better for the enterprise and improved for consumers.

That feature you described sounds like something on Windows Phone, I've yet to tinker around with it, but the concept is very similar and more or less a fleshed out Groups feature. All free too, with a Microsoft account. One can share calendars and I believe some files with non Windows Phone users or Windows 8 users. Haven't checked it out though.

To me, it seems like the older the person is, the more likely they'd go for an alternative. I've found it interesting these past couple years how experienced Windows users and IT people are more inclined for alternatives that aren't Microsoft, maybe it's their image of Microsoft of the '90s, maybe it's the cost, maybe they don't need advanced features, or all of the above, or something else suits their needs that isn't from Microsoft. Choice is good though.

I personally only know a very few people that do use google docs or open office that are under 25-30 years old, might be because the schools all taught them Microsoft Office and Windows.... It's all Windows, Office, Xbox with the exceptions of PS3, iphone, or android being used. I know a couple of people with ipads, but they only use it as large ipods than anything, nothing serious or otherwise they use their laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
thing are changing Coke, all the school here are using Libre Office. So the students are getting use to it. Of course you probably try it 5 minutes and conclude it sucks, it work very well and it's free. It's so intelligent that I start to type a sentence in French and I do the second one in English and the corrector catch the difference and adjust right away. Google Doc is very useful if you want to translate a document right away, instead of bash everything not coming from Microsoft, why you don't try them ? It's funny your signature " think outside the box " you should apply it to you also. I may not always say good thing about MS, but even today I purchase a Surface, you have not even purchase your Windows 8 ... we know you wait to build this dream PC. We are like that here in Canada, we don't vote for the best one, they are no best one, we vote for the less worst.

So next week hopefully I will receive my Surface, and count on my to say what I don't like, cause I'm sure it's not perfect.

Speaking of correction, I use Google, and it make a pretty good job, you should see all the red line when I type in this forum. I have not check IE since a will, did IE have correction now ?

Oh believe me, I've tried them for more than five minutes. The problem is the same as if I were to go from Windows to mac os, everything that I know about how to use Windows doesn't apply to mac os. What I know about Office 2007/10/13 doesn't apply to open or libre office. I personally can't justify leaving Office to open sourced software that I have to learn how to use. This isn't like a learning curve of Windows 7 to 8, this is Windows to mac or Linux learning curve here.

Also, Office already does the language checking automatically as well, as well as being able to translate the documents. Been that way since... maybe 2007? Not too sure.

Actually, I've already bought Windows 8 Pro. I was going to install it a while ago, I was getting ready to and taking screenshots of my Start Screen to reconfigure it quickly, but then my hard drive failed and need to buy a new one before I install it. It's not also my dream PC I'm working on, it's simply because I also can't justify spending 1,000 dollars on a tablet PC that I won't be using often enough when my desktop PC needs that type of attention. When I look at this, this is thousands of dollars of hardware that needs prioritization first, if I were an apple fanboy; I'd had already preordered the new thin imac even though my imac is totally fine, bought the ipad 4 just because it has a lightning port connector that doesn't do anything better than the old connector, bought an iphone 5 already even though it doesn't do more than my 4S other than an extra row of icons that show me nothing, bought the latest macbook with retina display even though my current one is totally fine.

See how things are different? Think outside the box....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
As far as Xbox being the go to console, it's good. But plenty of ps3 and Wii consoles out there. I happen to own all three of them. I do game mostly on my 360.

My $10 a year on Google apps pays for my own domain name. The rest is all free.

MS has failed in many areas. Zune was a complete failure. MS Bob was awful. Everything they tick does not automatically turn to gold.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
As far as Xbox being the go to console, it's good. But plenty of ps3 and Wii consoles out there. I happen to own all three of them. I do game mostly on my 360.

My $10 a year on Google apps pays for my own domain name. The rest is all free.

MS has failed in many areas. Zune was a complete failure. MS Bob was awful. Everything they tick does not automatically turn to gold.

This is true, not everything they do turns into profit. Zune could had if the HD was the first generation of it and a year early. Or at least something designed like that versus a Soviet era looking thing. But they may have indirect success because without Zune, there would probably be no Windows Phone, Windows 8, Office 2013, as well as no concerted effort from Microsoft to unify their products into probably the largest and best ecosystem of devices ever seen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Also, Office already does the language checking automatically as well, as well as being able to translate the documents. Been that way since... maybe 2007? Not too sure.

no it don't, you have to go in the ribbon change the language, or else it's not usable.

Look my " il " and " comme " are correctly spell, and worst, it offer me only English word to correct it

office-2.jpg

office-33.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back