Relative Ease in Understanding How Windows 8 Works

90% of Win 8 users are totally clueless and inappreciative. Essentially brain dead.

Then clearly Microsoft completely missed the market when they designed Windows 8. Maybe that's why sales of Apple and Android devices just keep kicking along.

Hi there
"Flakey stats" again (@ both people).

Why on Earth do you say 90% of W8 users are totally clueless -- let's have "Chapter and Verse" for that stunning piece of observation.

I don't really think that 90% of people on this Forum would be classed as totally clueless -- and with your incredible knowledge of statistics what % of people here on this Forum USE W8.

I can't prove it but I'd be quite sure that at least 90% of people on this Forum would have tried W8 -- does that make them all imbeciles.

As far as sales of Android etc are concerned

Perhaps the lack of availability of Windows 8 phones / tablets might have had something to do with it to. - Look in places like China where Nokia is very satisfied with how the Lumia W8 phones are doing.

They are doing quite well in even "Mature" markets - especially in GB, NL, and D.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
You can still vote. Why not? Just see first paragraph of post #1.

Summing up again with 46 votes in--adding %'s this time (31 votes in at last sum up).

1. The majority (34 to 12--73.9%) likes Windows 8.
2. The majority of those liking Windows 8 think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (19) or moderately easy (13) to understand (32 to 2--94.1%).
3. Only five (5 to 41--10.9%) think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS’s is not very easy to understand. Two of these likes Windows 8, and three don't.
4. The majority (9 to 3--75%) of those that not liking Windows 8 think how Windows 8 works relative to other Windows 8 OS's is very easy (5) or moderately easy (4) to understand.

These results still lead to the following tentative thoughts (but not conclusions) (and somewhat redundant):

(a) Those on board here tend to like Windows 8 (34 to 12--73.9%). This "strength" of this outcome surprised me. From reading what's onboard, I expected that a greater percent would have indicated they do not like Windows 8.

(b) The majority of those onboard here liking Windows 8 tends to think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (19) or moderately easy (13) to understand (32 to 2--94.1%).

(c) The majority of those onboard here not liking Windows 8 tends to think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (5) or moderately easy (4) to understand (9 to 3--75%).

(c) The majority of those onboard here, whether liking or not liking Win8, tends think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (19 + 5) or moderately easy (13 + 4) to understand (41 to 5--89.1%).

(d) Of those onboard here not liking Windows 8 (100% - 73.9% = 26.1%), the majority of them (9 to 3--75%) tends to not think that's because they don't understand Windows 8 (torturous sentence, I know). In this regard, we somewhat frequently see the opinion that those not liking Windows 8 don't understand it. I am not surprised at the "strength" of this outcome.

In my next sum up, I will be relating the results of this poll to those of other polls. That'll be truly exciting. Hang on to your seats. :roflmao:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
Jimbo.

I want to be responsive and polite responding to your post.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
Got me seat belt buckled Mate !

Znod:

Let er rip !

Just don't forget that the onus is on YOU for the other poll !

Se Comsa mon Ami !

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
HaHaHa It will be riveting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Jimbo.

I want to be responsive and polite responding to your post.

Hi there
these are YOUR words not mine (spelling error also included --copied exactly from your post)

.........................90% of Win 8 users are totally clueless and inappreciative. Essentially brain dead..................

'Nuf said on this issue.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
You can still vote. Why not? Just see first paragraph of post #1.

Summing up again with 53 votes in--adding %'s this time (46 votes in at last sum up). This will be the last sum up unless things change dramatically.

1. The majority (39 to 14--73.6%) likes Windows 8.
2. The majority of those liking Windows 8 think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (23) or moderately easy (14) to understand (37 to 2--94.9%).
3. Only five (5 to 48--9.4%) think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS’s is not very easy to understand. Two of these likes Windows 8, and three don't.
4. The majority (11 to 3--78.6%) of those that not liking Windows 8 think how Windows 8 works relative to other Windows 8 OS's is very easy (6) or moderately easy (5) to understand.

These results still lead to the following tentative thoughts (but not conclusions) (and somewhat redundant):

(a) Those onboard here tend to like Windows 8 (39 to 14--73.6%). This "strength" of this outcome surprised me. From reading what's on board, I expected that a greater percent would have indicated they do not like Windows 8.

(b) The majority of those onboard here liking Windows 8 tends to think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (23) or moderately easy (14) to understand (37 to 2--94.9%).

(c) The majority of those onboard here not liking Windows 8 tends to think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (6) or moderately easy (5) to understand (11 to 3--78.6%).

(d) The majority of those onboard here, whether liking or not liking Windows 8, tends to think how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS's is very easy (23 + 6) or moderately easy (14 + 5) to understand (48 to 5--90.6%).

(e) Of those on board here not liking Windows 8 (100% - 73.6% = 26.4%), the majority of them (11 to 3--78.6%) tends to not think that's because they don't understand Windows 8 (torturous sentence, I know). In this regard, we somewhat frequently see the opinion that those not liking Windows 8 don't understand it. I am not surprised at the "strength" of this outcome.

In my last sum up I said "in my next sum up, I will be relating the results of this poll to those of other polls. So, here goes--very briefly. Here are the polls I want to relate to the current one, and : Another Poll about the Desktop Start Menu; Poll: Basic Preferences--Using Metro Interface vs Desktop; Do you use apps?; and So, do you use W8 Modern UI apps?

Original Post Edited Below to Provide Thoughts about Improving Win8 from Both MS and User Perspectives:

My observation
is essentially the same WRT all four. Each of these polls might be taken to lend support to the idea that users (particularly onboard-here users) do not like Win8. From an overall perspective, the current poll suggests the opposite strongly. However, I think that the other four polls point to things that both MS and users could benefit from if worked on by MS. Think how well Win9 might be liked if MS does nothing but make a few basic changes. See those below (no original thought here--not all suggested by the other four poll results):

1. MS provided improved desktop start menu;
2. MS provided ability to start to either desktop or start screen;
3. MS provided better ability to customize start screen including tile sizes and ease/flexibility in positioning (same with all apps view)
4. More useful Apps installed via Win8 installation;
5. Making Apps work better from the start screen (i.e., consider the way IE works from the start screen);
6. Not so much push, for example, during install and while using new "Office," on having MS account and use of skything;
7. Better integration of desktop and metro area--making "everything" possible from each area and standardizing use of terminology; and
8. MS availability of Aero on desktop

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I wouldn't say I hate windows 8, But every time I use it, WTF were microsoft thinking comes to mind.

It's like having the car you've being driving for the last 20 years, getting the steering wheel and putting it on the left hand side and then putting the hand brake by your feet, why would you do that when it was fine in the first place- on the right where its ment to be. ha!

Sorry but Windows 8 seems to be such a big change from windows 7 with no real advantages to the desktop user.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
It's like having the car you've being driving for the last 20 years, getting the steering wheel and putting it on the left hand side and then putting the hand brake by your feet
Isn't that the way how cars are supposed to be. My cars are exactly like that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Znod

All kidding aside I really think that you are providing a valuable service that I am definitely interested in.

With your kind indulgence your survey is seriously flawed.

It doesn't' t take into account the age, sex, education, experience of the respondents. They could be from age 14 or younger to advanced Senior 80 or older. House wife's, kids, casual users, serious business people, and on to College educated and even Intelligence Technology professionals.

With some trepidation and misgivings I submit that probably a significant percentage of respondents do not have either the qualifications nor expertise to truly judge the actual value of this Operation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
With some trepidation and misgivings I submit that probably a significant percentage of respondents do not have either the qualifications nor expertise to truly judge the actual value of this Operation.
If you want to be scientific about it, you got a point. However, those 'unqualified' people are the potential customers that are supposed to buy that stuff. So their opinion is not irrelevant. Remember what happened to Vista based on unqualified opinions.

After working in Operating System development for 35 years I consider myself halfway qualified. And I tell you - Windows 8 is NOT what the doctor prescribed for the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
HMMMMMMMMMMMM!, it would appear the likes are way out ahead of the dislike, or football 7 monkey 0. . .:p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Znod

1. All kidding aside I really think that you are providing a valuable service that I am definitely interested in.

2. It doesn't' t take into account the age, sex, education, experience of the respondents. They could be from age 14 or younger to advanced Senior 80 or older. House wife's, kids, casual users, serious business people, and on to College educated and even Intelligence Technology professionals.

3. With some trepidation and misgivings I submit that probably a significant percentage of respondents do not have either the qualifications nor expertise to truly judge the actual value of this Operation.

1. Thank you.

I have discussed the problems of trying to do generalizable/stratified polls on our forums before--including with you (see posts 4 and 5 below). It isn't going to happen. We can't even use random selection here. Everyone onboard who has ever done any kind of valid surveying understands what I am saying. On this poll, I made it clear that the "tentative thoughts (but not conclusions)" that I offered pertain only to those onboard here.

The groups you mention are precisely some of the sorts that I would like to have the opinions of in the matters I considered in my survey. Stratification would be nice, but it is not possible here.

3. Why would I care that a "significant percentage of respondents do not have either the qualifications nor expertise to truly judge the actual value of this Operation?" The poll does not deal with qualified or expert judgements of the value of any anything.

Please reflect on our earlier discussion on this thread--posts 4 and 5. And, please read the other thread discussions above about generalizability, stratification, etc.

Post 4
Znod;

I think that you are as smart as they come. Very astute and knowledgeable. Much appreciated.

I need to insert an original comment of your that appeared here originally so that some of the things I say in my post 5 have rationale. Here is the comment that originally appeared in this post.

However, I simply do not understand this apparent obsession to canvass users of Win 8 ????????

I need to insert a comment and a question you included in this post originally so that the foundation for some of the things I said below in post 5 is clear. You said originally:

"90% of Win 8 users are totally clueless and inappreciative. Essentially brain dead.

Does that fit your model ?"

Post 5
Thank you; I appreciate your kind thoughts. Canvassing Win8 users is pretty much all I can canvas on a Win8 forum. In a poll like this one, which is intended to provide very general information about the relative ease in understanding how Windows 8 works relative to other Win OS’s, I think that every response ought to count regardless of what I might think about the stratified characteristics of the respondents. Note that polls here can't do much WRT stratification because of their limitations. Others might want to specify different characteristics (compared to my single one) of those eligible to respond to polls similar to this one upfront (e.g., might want to restrict to "power users" and up, etc.). In this regard, note that allowing for "everything" in the available responses if problematic here because of the limited number of responses possible and the limited number of characters allowed per response.

In deciding to do a poll (this one is my third), I tend to focus on topics that I think are important and are of general interest. In this regard, if I see a poll that purports to provide information on an important topic of general interest, but IMO doesn't do it well, then I might be inclined to do a poll that I think better deals with the issue.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Znod;

Malgre toute - in spite of all

This is a harsh world of the survival of the fittest. Some can cope and some can fall by the wayside.

Sorry to be so sanguine but that is reality in this troubled world.

Whoever said that all men are equal never visited Windows 8 !

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
Your post-50 criticism is not an issue, per se, nor is anything you said above. The pointlessness of your apparent post-50 desire to reiterate concerning matters we discussed earlier and that I and others discussed earlier is the problem. In this regard, you act, in post 50, like I have not already acknowledged the issues you raise and have not explained why better modi operandi are not possible here. Your post 50 seems to suggest you would prefer that my survey had addressed different issues/respondents. I addressed the issues/respondents I wanted. If you want other issues/respondents to be addressed, then do a survey.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot: