Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Do you use apps?

View Poll Results: Do you use the apps in Windows 8?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have apps installed and use them

    7 24.14%
  • I have apps installed and use them from time to time

    5 17.24%
  • I don't use the apps and have them uninstalled

    4 13.79%
  • I don't use the apps and don't have them uninstalled

    13 44.83%
  1. #1


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro

    Do you use apps?


    I'm kind of curious as I was perusing a thread in the Customization section...
    Post your Start Screen!
    ...and I was wondering what everyone does with their apps? Do you uninstall them, use them, keep them there, or just disregard them and have them waste space?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 308
    64-bit Windows 8


    The only one I use is the Solitaire. I don't often use the Start Screen either. I was pinning all my own stuff to it, but the switching back and forth between Desktop and Start Screen every minute was a nuisance. Now I just put everything on the Desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts : 173
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    I haven't found a need to, yet. I might start using the Hulu app, though. I love Hulu


    My girlfriend loves using W8 metro apps, though. She's all about the Mail and Hulu apps, for sure. She still uses Chrome but she was also more excited about W8 than I was. (I've become a bit cynical since I work in that product group for MS).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I've tried to find apps that are worthwhile, but they are few and far between. What's worse is that any app takes over the entire monitor. Just now I installed one of our local TV station apps and, other than the fact that it didn't work at all ie, it didn't play any of the programs I selected (so some app developer failed), the app only opens full screen.

    When you are using a two 23" monitors, there's no need for any app to open full screen only and for it to remain stuck in the main screen. It's easier to watch TV using WMC or via a browser session and make it smaller. I find all apps to be similarly deficient in flexibility.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I've tried to find apps that are worthwhile, but they are few and far between. What's worse is that any app takes over the entire monitor.
    Yep, I don't need or want that. PERIOD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I'm kind of curious as I was perusing a thread in the Customization section...
    Post your Start Screen!
    ...and I was wondering what everyone does with their apps? Do you uninstall them, use them, keep them there, or just disregard them and have them waste space?
    I have a few on my start screen, but never use them. I just ignore the rest of them; they are unpinned from the start screen. Hardly use even the start screen in metro, but it's arranged for my efficient use when I happen to end up there. I had to choose the fourth option, because unpinning is not a part of any choice. Whatever, the unpinned ones don't get in my way or waste any space I want to use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    I like and use the apps a lot. I use Mail for three accounts daily. Weather set to 4 locations, 1 local of which I use daily for forecasts being in construction. People to store contacts. Calendar. News and sports. And more.

    In fact I'm just finishing up installing my apps for my Windows 8 Pro OEM System Builders Edition as I'm typing now. The beautiful thing is that the Store remembers my apps from the last edition. This is my 3rd. About 35 minutes to install total OS with about dozen apps and setting up 3 email accounts of which it remembered also. Just had to enter passwords. Magnificent OS!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    In a house
    Posts : 11
    Windows 8 x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Vista HP x86


    Uninstalling the silly mobile apps was the first thing I did when I got windows 8, including the people, mail, calender, chat, apps as using a full screen to do anything on a PC is just idiotic! unless its really needed. When I can have a multitude of windows open on multiple virtual desktops it just makes no sense what so ever. I replaced them with chrome that dose all my browsing chat & calender, windows live mail has 3 accounts on and object dock shows me my weather for the next 5 days with a nice animated docklet, and I have absolutely no need or want for the start window. Between VLC and XBMC all my media needs are catered for on the desktop even though XBMC is full screen I can drop to my Desktop at any time and if I want media on the screen while I work VLC is there for that. I couldn't even think about considering a mobile app on a full Desktop or even laptop PC, on a tablet or smartphone yes I could see it the use for them. As an avid Android fan (purely because its ability to be customized rooted & modified to suit me ) I use mobile apps regularly and just couldn't see myself switching to a windows smartphone as I dislike being dictated to on what my device's user interface looks like and what its capable of. I don't even remember the last time I even seen the windows start screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicaholic View Post
    Uninstalling the silly mobile apps was the first thing I did when I got windows 8, including the people, mail, calender, chat, apps as using a full screen to do anything on a PC is just idiotic! unless its really needed. When I can have a multitude of windows open on multiple virtual desktops it just makes no sense what so ever. I replaced them with chrome that dose all my browsing chat & calender, windows live mail has 3 accounts on and object dock shows me my weather for the next 5 days with a nice animated docklet, and I have absolutely no need or want for the start window. Between VLC and XBMC all my media needs are catered for on the desktop even though XBMC is full screen I can drop to my Desktop at any time and if I want media on the screen while I work VLC is there for that. I couldn't even think about considering a mobile app on a full Desktop or even laptop PC, on a tablet or smartphone yes I could see it the use for them. As an avid Android fan (purely because its ability to be customized rooted & modified to suit me ) I use mobile apps regularly and just couldn't see myself switching to a windows smartphone as I dislike being dictated to on what my device's user interface looks like and what its capable of. I don't even remember the last time I even seen the windows start screen.
    A rather boring monotone post to me, but I read it anyway. Should have been in paragraphs IMO, but that's me.

    I can see you did your homework on 8 and knew exactly how to make it similar to 7. That's ok. Many here have. Whatever floats your boat, but it's only 7-1/2, not 8 as intended to be. I realize 8 has quality additions that some seek.

    Sincerely no offense to you or others. Not judging whatsoever. Just my thoughts.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    In a house
    Posts : 11
    Windows 8 x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Vista HP x86


    A rather boring monotone post to me, but I read it anyway. Should have been in paragraphs IMO, but that's me.

    I can see you did your homework on 8 and knew exactly how to make it similar to 7. That's ok. Many here have. Whatever floats your boat, but it's only 7-1/2, not 8 as intended to be. I realize 8 has quality additions that some seek.

    Sincerely no offense to you or others. Not judging whatsoever. Just my thoughts.
    I did do a little googling yes & there are new features of windows 8 that are very apealing & i do use, I just don't see what a mobile UI is doing on a desktop or laptop which is more than likely why the lead man got canned once it was released.

    Sorry if my post was boring to you try not to yawn to much catching flies is never a good look I've broke this one down for your benefit..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Do you use apps?
Related Threads
How to List Desktop Apps or Store Apps First on Your Apps Screen in Windows 8.1 The Apps screen in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 is the new version of Start Menu -> All Programs that was in Windows 7 and Vista. The Apps screen displays a list of all of your installed Store apps and desktop...
How to Turn On or Off Show more apps in Apps view in Windows 8.1 Update The Start screen can viewed in the Start and Apps view. The Apps view in Windows 8.1 is the new version of the Start Menu -> All Programs that was in Windows 7 and Vista. The Apps screen displays all of your installed...
Choose Apps to Show Status, Notifications, and Alarms on Lock Screen in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to choose apps to run in the background and display quick status, detailed status, notifications, and alarms on the lock screen for your user account in Windows 8, Windows...
Does anyone know how to clear out deleted Windows Store apps from the computer? When you go into the Windows Store and right click and choose 'your apps' the selection 'apps not istalled on this pc' still shows apps that I have deleted. I only installed on one device (unless they auto-install to...
Read more at source: Metro apps renamed Windows Store apps | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
How to Install Apps from Store in Windows 8 and 8.1 Like app stores for smartphones and tablets, the Windows Store offers various apps that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download and install to their user account in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT...
How to Allow or Prevent Users to Uninstall Apps from Start in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent all or specific users from being able to uninstall apps from the Start screen in Windows 8 and 8.1. You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook