MS puts a hard block on MSE because it is incompatible with Win8 CP.

Got this Windows update yesterday.

KB2685194 - Application Compatibility release for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

This update introduces a hard block on Microsoft Security Essentials. A hard block prevents an application that is incompatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview from running on the computer. This hard block is being introduced because Microsoft Security Essentials is incompatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Thanks Calico,
I am going to guess it isn't a straight install??? Appreciate your informations!
Glenn

No major problems, but when you have installed CIS - it doesn't offer to reboot, but do so anyway - you'll probably get the Program Compatibility Assistant dialogue, just select 'Run the Program without getting' and tick the box for Don't show the message again.

Calico,
Thanksssss! I installed it, ran update and rebooted. Got an W8 error message and rebooted. It now seems to be running fine.\
Extra problems, when I upgraded to NIS from Norton AV, I got a firewall. Well found out how disable it and let Comodo who for whatever reasons pop up in my mind, I think is a better firewall program. But NIS is also a antimalware program which is now running along with Comodo's antimalware stuff. Going to have to work on that.
Greatly appreciated!!!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
MSE block

From rummaging around the net, I have gleaned some information. In other W8 groups and Windows, I've found that MSE ran perfectly well on W8. It of course caused WD, which includes MSE to turn off. Apparently and I don't recall which two updates exactly did it, but the made it impossible to run MSE. By removing those updates, Windows 7 MSE install should come up and run fine. Since I have Norton killing WD, I am considering removing the MSE blocks and reinstalling it to run as a backup manual scanner. Any opinions?
Glenn:think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
From rummaging around the net, I have gleaned some information. In other W8 groups and Windows, I've found that MSE ran perfectly well on W8. It of course caused WD, which includes MSE to turn off. Apparently and I don't recall which two updates exactly did it, but the made it impossible to run MSE. By removing those updates, Windows 7 MSE install should come up and run fine. Since I have Norton killing WD, I am considering removing the MSE blocks and reinstalling it to run as a backup manual scanner. Any opinions?

Windows Defender in Windows 8 is MSE, why would you want to replace one with the other?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
You might see if malwarebytes is the answer as a manual scanner.

No idea if it runs on w8- haven't tried it yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If you have a router, manual scan anything you download from torrents with Malwarebytes, don't click on random hyperlinks in spam e-mails, keep your Windows updated and use No-Script in Firefox to only allow sites you trust to run code, your machine will never get any malware on it, which basically makes any antivirus at all pointless.

That so, you could just leave Defender running for an extra sense of peace-of-mind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
The MS SE seen for 7 includes WD in it. Either the SE was included with the CP or 8 has an improved malware detection process running in it. That would have to be a vast improvement for the WD for that to have caught a bug here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys

Windows Defender in Windows 8 is MSE, why would you want to replace one with the other?

Hey, the point is that since I will not be using MSE or preferably windows defender as my primary online protection, only as a standalone manual scanner, I found out you can do it with MSE. I don't know how to do it with the better WD.
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You might see if malwarebytes is the answer as a manual scanner.

No idea if it runs on w8- haven't tried it yet.

Howdy and thanks, I have been running it since the first install. Use it on W7.
Good idea, but I also wanted a manual AV scanner. I believe (IMHO) that malwarebytes may be better than WD, Comodo or NIS!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
If you have a router, manual scan anything you download from torrents with Malwarebytes, don't click on random hyperlinks in spam e-mails, keep your Windows updated and use No-Script in Firefox to only allow sites you trust to run code, your machine will never get any malware on it, which basically makes any antivirus at all pointless.

That so, you could just leave Defender running for an extra sense of peace-of-mind.

Hello Gman,
I use No-Script and then Ghostery that block the ones that I allow through no-script. So far so good. Paranoia is said to be the highest form of self preservations {:))! Still like having the AV and firewalls as redundancy.
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
The MS SE seen for 7 includes WD in it. Either the SE was included with the CP or 8 has an improved malware detection process running in it. That would have to be a vast improvement for the WD for that to have caught a bug here.

Hello Night Hawk,
That being true then I can definitely get the best of both worlds by deleting the updates that keep Windows 7 MSE from running and running it for a standalone manual scanner. I will investigate.
Thanks
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You do very well then I say. Keep on keepin' on. If it makes you happy, then there is nothing better than that!!! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up

Hey, the point is that since I will not be using MSE or preferably windows defender as my primary online protection, only as a standalone manual scanner, I found out you can do it with MSE. I don't know how to do it with the better WD.
Glenn

They're the same glenn.

Attachments

• wd.jpg
    wd.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 165
  • mse.jpg
    mse.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 158

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
As I suspected the way the trojan on a secondary drive was tagged it wouldn't have been by the WD alone but by the SE! It follows what I was saying about MS seeing the SE included with the CP for those who wanted to look it over without worry about running a beta that may be compatible with the present protections people are using.

The SE in 8 however would be equal to and Security Essentials 2 or sequel since it offers an improvement in the detection area.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys

Glenn

They're the same glenn.

That is good news. I wish I knew of a way to re-enable W8's WD, since it turned itself off when I installed NIS. But if W7 is the same, I dump those block updates and install W7's MSE and I'll be good to go! Great news
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
As I suspected the way the trojan on a secondary drive was tagged it wouldn't have been by the WD alone but by the SE! It follows what I was saying about MS seeing the SE included with the CP for those who wanted to look it over without worry about running a beta that may be compatible with the present protections people are using.

The SE in 8 however would be equal to and Security Essentials 2 or sequel since it offers an improvement in the detection area.

After I get my current issues solved, I will try deleting the 2 MSE blocking updates and install the W7 MSE and see what happens.
Fingers crossed!
Thanks
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Glenn

They're the same glenn.

That is good news. I wish I knew of a way to re-enable W8's WD, since it turned itself off when I installed NIS. But if W7 is the same, I dump those block updates and install W7's MSE and I'll be good to go! Great news
Glenn

I just installed NIS and it didn't disable WD, it only disabled the Windows firewall. You should check the Windows Defender service status:

Select Winkey+R and type services.msc
find the two Windows Defender Services - Windows Defender Network Inspection Service and Windows Defender Service
make sure neither are disabled and make sure Windows Defender Service is started

With regard to Windows 7 MSE, Microsoft issueda patch to block it's installation on Windows 8 for a reason,. If you want to use MSE/WD, the I'd suggest getting WD working. A lot of security related processes have changed in Windows 8, so using something that been declared is not the wisest thing to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
You won't be seeing the WD disabled to start with but simply replaced by the version of WD included in the Security Essentials. I think this is where everyone is getting a little confused.

The version of SE now seen included with the CP would normally be a newer version of same as seen as a separate item for 7. Since the CP is the beta form of 8 MS simply tossed the SE in so you could run it without worry about which av program would be needed or run on it but have protection already inplace.

Gee do you think they were being thoughtful or simply not wanting to hear how the CP would be seen as... from complaints when and if someone got stiffed with a malware from running it without anything installed? :roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
You won't be seeing the WD disabled to start with but simply replaced by the version of WD included in the Security Essentials. I think this is where everyone is getting a little confused.

The version of SE now seen included with the CP would normally be a newer version of same as seen as a separate item for 7. Since the CP is the beta form of 8 MS simply tossed the SE in so you could run it without worry about which av program would be needed or run on it but have protection already inplace.

Gee do you think they were being thoughtful or simply not wanting to hear how the CP would be seen as... from complaints when and if someone got stiffed with a malware from running it without anything installed? :roflmao:

WD in Windows 8 is similar, in that it shares a common interface and AV/AM engine with MSE, but it is also tied-in with the other Windows 8 specific security features, such as secure boot/UEFI. This is not simply MSE bundled with Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
Did a fresh install on my two M4's in R0, with no MSE this time. No issues at all, all former troubles can be laid at the feet of MSE. Thanks to the tips in this thread all good now, many thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
Back