MS puts a hard block on MSE because it is incompatible with Win8 CP.

Got this Windows update yesterday.

KB2685194 - Application Compatibility release for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

This update introduces a hard block on Microsoft Security Essentials. A hard block prevents an application that is incompatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview from running on the computer. This hard block is being introduced because Microsoft Security Essentials is incompatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

I disabled windows defender and am using AVAST instead,runs really good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Prenium 64bit sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz (OC) @ 3.6GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2
    Memory
    4096MB RAM DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    Sound Card
    (VIA High Definition Audio)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22 HD LED TV Polaroid and 17 LED Monitor Dual screen
    Screen Resolution
    Led tv(main) 1920x1080 60Hz /Monitor 1280x1024 60Hz
    Hard Drives
    500Gb western digital
    PSU
    CORSAIR CX600 600w
    Case
    AZZA gaming case with red led fans
    Cooling
    4fans and cool master hyper TX3 cpu cooler
    Keyboard
    Microsoft USB Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 (IntelliType Pro)
    Mouse
    G400 Logitech
    Internet Speed
    5.5mb
    Browser
    IE 10/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Secuirty
I disabled windows defender and am using AVAST instead,runs really good.

Hi there
what does this actually Buy you -- AVAST don't have access to the latest MS Kernel and do you have to run Manual updates to get the latest VIRUS definitions from a database.

Windows defender does this all SEAMLESSLY IN REAL TIME -- and as Ms hasn't released the windows kernel to some of these 3rd party AV suppliers you are relying on are using the W7 version which IS NOT THE SAME KERNEL as W8.

Believe me the days of free 3rd party AV software are over -- no need for it.

Protecting Corporate networks is another issue - but that's not the problem here.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The Windows Defender in 8 is far from what was seen in 7 namely the MS SE under a different name. The old WD would never have flagged a trojan found stored on a storage drive or device.

I suspect the main reason why you would be seeing the SE included with the 8 CP is mainly from MS making it widely available without the need to sign up to beta test any beta, RC builds as seen with the previous versions of Windows. You won't hear any favorable reports if everyone gets nailed by some bug right after downloading the CP now would you?

They wanted everyone to have a look without worrying about the need for an av but for the Previews only not the retail product to come later. There you are on your own!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
The Windows Defender in 8 is far from what was seen in 7 namely the MS SE under a different name. The old WD would never have flagged a trojan found stored on a storage drive or device.

I suspect the main reason why you would be seeing the SE included with the 8 CP is mainly from MS making it widely available without the need to sign up to beta test any beta, RC builds as seen with the previous versions of Windows. You won't hear any favorable reports if everyone gets nailed by some bug right after downloading the CP now would you?

They wanted everyone to have a look without worrying about the need for an av but for the Previews only not the retail product to come later. There you are on your own!

You positive about this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000

I would doubt that's true. Microsoft have beed offering MSE, as a option with Windows Updates, for a while now, so including MSE in Windows 8 is not significantly different. It's also worth reading Protecting you from malware

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
FWIW, before I knew that MSE = Defender, I advised someone to install MSE. This was over a week ago. They reported back that the OS would not let them. So they already had this covered - not sure why they issued this new block at all.

It let me install it every time, several times now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
Microsoft was sued in Europe by providing IE with base OS instead of "allowing people to choose which browser they prefer".

Will this happen again with Anti-Virus makers vs MSE/WD?

My Computer

Thanks GMan I was just curious as I'm quite happy with it .... it does the job. The AV companies will be panicking when w8 takes off it'll make buying AV pointless.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the AV companies will go out of business for the simple reason that MS Operating system is hacked so much that we need 3rd party applications to protect us.

cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
    Intel
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 duo E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5E3 Deluxe x38
    Memory
    G.Skill F3-12000CL7D DDR3-1600 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon 6850 Turbo IceQ X 1GB GDDR5
How is a 3rd party security program going to protect better than Defender, even if there are lots of vulnerabilities found?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
Believe me the days of free 3rd party AV software are over -- no need for it.

Protecting Corporate networks is another issue - but that's not the problem here.

Cheers
jimbo

Well jimbo you may know a lot more about the MS operating system then most of us. I don't doubt that at all. But past history of MS security protection has proven that hackers love a challange. Once bitten and hope never again :) That is why 3rd party AV software was created. That is why we trust them over MS and willing to pay for their protection and support.
I give it 3 months after launch and the forums will be reporting security hacks. The day MS is bulletproof I will eat my hat :)
Many of us like MS operating system because it fits our needs of every day use. But not all of what MS includes in there OS release is suitable for us.
I trust MS to run all my applications but I trust 3rd party AV to protect me better.
JMO

cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
    Intel
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 duo E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5E3 Deluxe x38
    Memory
    G.Skill F3-12000CL7D DDR3-1600 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon 6850 Turbo IceQ X 1GB GDDR5
The reason Norton disables Defender is because rule #1 of Windows computing is: Only have one antivirus installed and working at a time.

It's the same reason why it is advisable to either remove Norton or Avast.

They have drivers and these drivers at times do not want other drivers like them active at the same time.

Howdy Gman,
I know this axiom and thought I was abiding by it. By using only one AV as active protection and the other shut off, I have (again maybe luck) have used this scheme for over a decade. I have never seen an issue, actually I never saw an issue in the long past where running two av's at the same time occur. So I guess the answer is that no, mse is still blocked and unusable.
Thanks G the Man!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Microsoft was sued in Europe by providing IE with base OS instead of "allowing people to choose which browser they prefer".

Will this happen again with Anti-Virus makers vs MSE/WD?
I don't think so.

The difference is that the user WILL install a browser right away, while they may completely ignore antivirus. WD automatically disables itself when you install a different av program.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
let me explain to you (everyone) A 2nd party security product will render MS's protection inactive.
So run your AVGs, your Avasts, your Comodo, etc. All is fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
let me explain to you (everyone) A 2nd party security product will render MS's protection inactive.

Hello Mike Lonewolf,
Sorry, but I just popped in for a look see and noticed your post. You seem to indicate that Comodo is now functional in W8?
Thanks for any info regarding that!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox

You positive about this?

Windows Defender wouldn't have flagged a trojan on a secondary drive like you would see with any program featuring an active protection. It flagged the bug being an executable as soon as I opened the utility folder it was in not having even clicked on it.

You wouldn't see that type of malicious code detection in just WD alone while you would expect to see it in an av program which brings you right back to the MS SE. I suspect MS made sure to add a bit more effective antimalware protection in the CP since it would only see temporary usage but protect just anyone who wanted look regardless of total noob to geek.

In fact the Security Essentials actually missed the same exact file as well as another one found in 2010 when going to change the regular av program.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys

Hello Mike Lonewolf,
Sorry, but I just popped in for a look see and noticed your post. You seem to indicate that Comodo is now functional in W8?
Glenn

For anyone interested - Comodo Beta for Windows 8 CP

Thanks Calico,
I am going to guess it isn't a straight install??? Appreciate your informations!
Glenn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Hello Mike Lonewolf,
Glenn

For anyone interested - Comodo Beta for Windows 8 CP

Thanks Calico,
I am going to guess it isn't a straight install??? Appreciate your informations!
Glenn

No major problems, but when you have installed CIS - it doesn't offer to reboot, but do so anyway - you'll probably get the Program Compatibility Assistant dialogue, just select 'Run the Program without getting' and tick the box for Don't show the message again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860