Microsoft as a Subscription?

We will have to wait and see what all this really means....

On the cloud subscription model: "We're well on our way to making that transition in terms of moving from pure licenses to long-term contracts and as well as subscription business model," Nadella told analysts. But he didn't share anything new about when, whether and how Microsoft will move to a subscription model for Windows, as some are expecting.

Source

Also,,,,

WZor also claims that Microsoft is tinkering with the business model for Windows and may make some kind of base-level version of Windows available for free for everyone, but require a subscription to "turn on" the full set of capabilities and features, similar to the way Microsoft requires Office on iPad users to have an Office 365 subscription to do more than just the simplest of tasks with the free version. I haven't heard anything specifically about this from my contacts (yet).

Source

For the record, I voted maybe.

When Office 2013 first came out I worked out this spreadsheet, comparing the upgrade costs to 2013. I currently have Office 2010 Pro X 1 and H&S x 3.

I only use Excel and Word and need at least one commercial license because I am self employed and use it for business. I have 3 computers. My mobile needs are taken care of with Polaris Office on my S4.

The attached costs are in NZ dollars and give the cost up until 2010 when Office 2010 no longer receives security updates. I decided to stick to Office 2010.

Stand AloneSubscription
SeatsSeats
Small Business1360.71229.08
Home premium x 22362.145165
1 Year722.84394.08
Cost till 2020722.842758.56

Aside from just plain bad information, consider having to upgrade those every couple of years.
This is what we are talking about,,, staying current.

If we thought this way, many would still be using Windows 95 and save a ton of money.

Can you be any further off base?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Why would he have to upgrade them?

I was under the impression plenty of people using 2003/2007 to this day, perfectly happily. That is why one buys things, so one can keep using them.

:rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
When Office 2013 first came out I worked out this spreadsheet, comparing the upgrade costs to 2013. I currently have Office 2010 Pro X 1 and H&S x 3.

I only use Excel and Word and need at least one commercial license because I am self employed and use it for business. I have 3 computers. My mobile needs are taken care of with Polaris Office on my S4.

The attached costs are in NZ dollars and give the cost up until 2010 when Office 2010 no longer receives security updates. I decided to stick to Office 2010.

Stand Alone
Subscription
Seats
Seats
Small Business
Home premium x 2
1 Year
Cost till 2020

Hi there

Amen !!!!! -- and as a business user don't forget TAX refunds -- cost of Software etc as business expense. !! Should be the same in NZ.

For a lot of people who don't need 10 gazillion licenses the stand alone model makes far more sense --problem with any sort of subscription is that they often include features you don't need -- for example Mobile phones with unlimited texts and 2,000 hrs of talk time -- well I've probably only ever texted 3 words in my entire life (I hate texting !!) and I certainly don't spend anything like 2,000 hours on the phone --if I did I really think I should be seeing some type of psychiatrist or even a Priest as there would be something seriously wrong with me.

Same with Banks with their "Special Premium accounts" - so instead of a Basic Free banking service you pay say 15 EUR a month for "Free travel insurance etc " and a load of other perks you neither want or need - !!!

If you have a load of kids maybe the subscription (initially- beware of price rises later when people get more used to the whole idea) might work - especially if it stops them downloading and using pirated software.

However it's all in pursuit of that dreadful new business term "Monetisation". There's NO WAY subscription would be introduced if it yields LESS money than they currently earn. Now as people update their computers far less often Ms sees the "Discrete" sales packages declining rapidly whereas the subscription allows them to collect periodically whether people upgrade their computers or not.

It won't STOP Piracy though - there's already stuff out in the wild that are "mimicking" activation and validation servers !!!!.

Anyway I have my copies of Office, I only use OUTLOOK for work, ACCESS is the most sorry piece of Software ever to call itself "A database" so as far as Office 365 is concerned "I'm Outta Here" !!!.

If Windows goes the same way - I'll run current versions on VM's (which I'm doing anyway) until they no longer work by which time I'll be long gone from Planet Earth !!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

No, he's not off base.. not everyone needs the current release of anything... If Windows 95 works for you .. why not?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I did not answer the poll as there was no option for me. Yes, I would be very interested in getting a subscription based Windows but not only if it was cheaper; as an Office 365 user I have grown to like its subscription model quite a lot and would like to get my Windows in the same way.

Add an option to poll "Yes, great idea, even if it costs the same or slightly more than traditionally distributed Windows" and I can vote :).

[tweet]462159530231877632[/tweet]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there
love those but I'll bet it will be a LONG time before THIS edition disappears. !!

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• pirate.png
    pirate.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 163

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

No, he's not off base.. not everyone needs the current release of anything... If Windows 95 works for you .. why not?

Gotta love the Straw man argument of lets consider never ever upgrading.

What straw man argument is that? Only a small fraction of users need all the features of Office. Fewer even still need the full features of the latest Office. None of my clients actually need a newer version of Office than 2003. They all have newer versions, but they all preferred Office 2003. Office 2003 with the compatibility pack installed was everyone of my clients favorite version.

So again, why upgrade? They all did and all regret it. Money thrown down the toilet for software they don't even like.

Do you think Microsoft isn't aware of this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

I was under the impression plenty of people using 2003/2007 to this day, perfectly happily. That is why one buys things, so one can keep using them.

For those who are perfectly fine buying something and then using it forever until it simply doesn't function, this model is not designed for them at all, nor would it make any sense at all.

Many people though want the newest versions, they want the most up to date from a security standpoint, want too ensure as much compatibility with other software and peripherals they are using. Many also have multiple devices now, where in the past it might have only been 1 desktop. The subscription model fits here quite well.

You cannot look at something like this simply and just write it off because it doesn't fit you perfectly. And contrary to popular belief, this isn't just a move to screw customers. If anything, companies have to tread lightly as more options are available to customers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Nothing surprising here. That said, I seriously doubt the OS is involved here. We already know all smaller devices Microsoft will be giving it away from free. I would expect the larger devices to follow suit at some point. I think people forget the OS is ideally just meant to be a usability layer between the user and the hardware. If Microsoft strips out everything as far as apps, so it does not have to support those, and goes to a pay only support model for everything but online forums, they will come out ahead, and so will we.

The CEO is right, they are on their way there. BTW, Corporations already pay via a subscription model, as do developers via MSDN. Have Office, and other apps on a subscription bases will offset a lot of revenue, free up Microsoft to ramp up upgrades since everyone pays per year and not per upgrade, and hopefully will get the company to innovate back into some of the consumer app/program space though dropped out of a few years ago.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
It all depends on what one would need...

For home, it makes sense if the end user plan to upgrade following the current three years cycle for MS Office. Getting the full Office 2013 Professional to five PCs installed locally for hundred bucks a year is a great deal.

Even a single Office 365 subscription, that allows one PC or Mac local installation in addition to the online access to Office 2013 for 70 bucks a year, is a great deal financially. In six years that's 420 bucks, which is pretty much the cost of a single MS Office 2013 Pro license, with no online access to Office.

For small businesses, the cost is more, especially the premium version that includes local installation. The price is 150 bucks per year for each users. But the premium also includes business-class email, online conferencing, public website, and file storage and sharing.

For operating systems, MS seems to be on the 4-5 years cycle for new OS. That's pretty much the same cycle of my machines being replaced. Forking out 230 bucks to purchase a single license, or pay MS 40-50 bucks for OS lease is pretty much the same from the financial perspective.

For people who just got off from XP, leasing software is not a good option. For all others who like to move along with the MS cycles, this is a pretty good deal, if you don't pay attention to the privacy implication of entrusting MS with everything you do...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Latitude
    CPU
    Intel i5-3350P (3.1 GHz)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    16 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD7850
    Sound Card
    Built-in to MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 24" Dell
    Screen Resolution
    3,840 x1,200
    Hard Drives
    128 GBs, OCZ Vertex, SATA III SSD
    256 GBs Intel SATA III SSD
    3 x Seagate 1 TBs HDD
    PSU
    Antec 750W
    Case
    Antec P185
    Internet Speed
    50 Gb/s
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox22.0
    Antivirus
    Vipre
    Other Info
    Works, most of the times unless Microsoft patches decide otherwise...
Might as well, the PC, ("Personal Computer"), as we used to know it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past anyway!

Not in the universe I'm in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult X64 SP1
    H.A.L. 2000
    CPU
    i5-2550K @ 4.4GHz, today
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Memory
    16GB GSkill Sniper 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce 650Ti Boost
    Sound Card
    Realtech onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung P2570HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 PRO OS, Seagate Constellation 500GB, Users
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Inwin Dragon Rider
    Cooling
    120mm X4 case fans 3 intake, 1 exhaust , 120mm X2 CPU cooler fan
    Keyboard
    some old Dell I found
    Mouse
    steelseries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    50Mbs/11Mbs
    Browser
    IE11, Pale Moon, Opera
    Antivirus
    NIS 2013
    Other Info
    LG BluRay BD/RE, DVD/RW, front panel w/USB, eSATA, Audio, multi-card reader, Mr Fusion generator
Yep, all those tablets and tablets with phone capabilities (so called "mobile" phones) are like toilet paper - the world is full of them, but it doesnt mean it rules the world :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64

I do believe you've never had to edit or even print a Word document with Office 2003 from Office versions 2007, 2010, or 2013?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

I do believe you've never had to edit or even print a Word document with Office 2003 from Office versions 2007, 2010, or 2013?

Just use the compatibility pack for Office 2003 and you can open documents created in newer versions just fine....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7

Just use the compatibility pack for Office 2003 and you can open documents created in newer versions just fine....

Doesn't always work. Plus trying to edit between versions can cause issues and corruption.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS

Doesn't always work. Plus trying to edit between versions can cause issues and corruption.

I concur, I've never seen a .docx file open in Word 2003 flawlessly. There are ALWAYS formatting issues or words that run into eachothermuch like this. I've definitely had to spend a few minutes fixing documents in 2003 JUST so I could print it off.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that regardless of a compatibility pack, if you compile a PowerPoint in 2007/10/13 that has anything remotely advanced in animations, transitions, embedded videos or general formatting; you can't properly view most of that. You can't run the video (if done in 2010, the same problem occurs in 2007), you can't view the rich animations or transitions you spent a deal of time perfecting.

Never mind the fact how I can't even use 2003 because of no Ribbon UI... How we all once did that is beyond me.

See, you CAN use the older version of the software, but compared to modern versions, it's like running a barebones piece of software as it pales in comparison in features, capabilities, and overall ideal usability.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Hi there

You can get the .docx VIEWER so you can VIEW the document correctly.

From that you can cut and paste the bits you want into Office 2003 -- Works flawlessly unless you've got some weird special formatting options that don't exist in the earlier versions.

IMO most office documents are usually not full of any particular specialized formatting. Certainly for HOME use this method works 100%.

Office Online File Converters and Viewers - Downloads

Latest versions as well as ONLINE converters too.

Free Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010, or 2013 Document Viewers

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives